PDA

View Full Version : 8/27 Scrimmage Breakdown with Interviews

CardinalClaw
08-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Post Scrimmage Interviews:

LINK: Post Scrimmage Interviews (http://bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=378&catid=1)

It will be interesting to see how much Johnson has improved after taking almost all the snaps with the first team this week.

lu cards
08-26-2011, 07:42 PM
what time is the scrimmage ???

CardinalClaw
08-26-2011, 07:44 PM
9am

CardAmbassador
08-26-2011, 07:45 PM

9:00 a.m.

Fred Davis and Mike (BRI Admin) will report from the scrimmage.

Can't wait to see what happens. Coach Woodard is suppose to name a starting QB after this scrimmage.

Big T
08-26-2011, 07:46 PM
Immediatly after or later?

CardAmbassador
08-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Immediatly after or later?

I'm not sure, I bet he will wait till Monday to name the starter, the coaches will probably watch the film over the weekend and then decide. I don't know though.

BRI Staff
08-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Per the interwebs:

they (lamar football) are scrimmaging right now instead (started at 3) and still up in the air as to the plan for practice tomorrow.

This news is from the wife of one of the team members. We're trying to find out if there will be a scrimmage tomorrow.

BRI Staff
08-26-2011, 08:33 PM
false alarm:

Just heard from him again. Scrimmage is back on for tomorrow. *false alarm* :)

News happens fast. :)

LU4LIFE
08-26-2011, 10:40 PM

9:00 a.m.

Fred Davis and Mike (BRI Admin) will report from the scrimmage.

Can't wait to see what happens. Coach Woodard is suppose to name a starting QB after this scrimmage.

It's about time!!!:laugh:

coachacola
08-27-2011, 01:18 PM
From Chris Dabe on Twitter:

QB Andre Bevil is not suited up. WR Marcus Jackson is on crutches. QB Doug Prewitt is back in pads after last week's concussion.

Mike
08-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Quick notes:

Oden and Campbell both playing left side of line.

Jeremy Johnson starting at qb.

Bevil not in pads.

Prewitt suited out.

Offense drives 1st series down defenses throat. But penalty negates TD.

Oden had holding penalty.

JJ looks good. Just threw TD to Hayes.

Mike
08-27-2011, 01:46 PM
2nd team o just scored on d. Prewitt with qb keeper.

Mike
08-27-2011, 01:50 PM
Defense finally steps up and stops offense after a long penalty.

CardAmbassador
08-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Bevil is still out. I think that means either JJ or Prewitt start against Texas College. Just my opinion.

Any interceptions, TO's, mental mistakes by QB's?

Mike
08-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Couple injury notes:

Dorsey
Bevil
Marcus Jackson
Billy Chavis
J. Joseph

All not suited out. Malbrough walked up 10 mins late and hasn't seen the field yet.

CardAmbassador
08-27-2011, 03:23 PM
More from Dabe:

All snaps played by QB Jeremy Johnson were with first-team offense. This was Doug Prewitt's first day in pads since concussion.

Johnson & Prewitt each produced one TD drive, Johnson w/ a long pass to J.J. Hayes & Prewitt on a short run.

Mike
08-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Fred will have a complete breakdown of the scrimmage and some audio interviews with some of the players. We'll have it up as soon as possible.

coachacola
08-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Another comment from Dabe:

Even with all 11 starters back, the #LamarU offense could have as many as 5 new starters when season starts next week.

CardAmbassador
08-27-2011, 03:47 PM

Even with all 11 starters back, the #LamarU offense could have as many as 5 new starters when season starts next week.

QB (JJ or Prewitt)
LT (Oden)
LG (Campbell)
RB (Garrett)

Who is the fifth? Must be another lineman, maybe the Trinity Valley CC, Colton Collins

Mike
08-27-2011, 03:47 PM
sat with mr. dabe at the scrimmage, he's a nice guy.

Mike
08-27-2011, 03:49 PM

QB (JJ or Prewitt)
LT (Oden)
LG (Campbell)
RB (Garrett)

Who is the fifth? Must be another lineman, maybe the Trinity Valley CC, Colton Collins

Could be talking about TE where Chavis likely will not be ready for week 1.

CardinalClaw
08-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Johnson looked really good today, his first drive was a march down the field for a TD. A couple of his other drives stalled out, on one he threw a 3rd down pass to JJ that was pretty low but catchable. The second there was a mix up in the play between Johnson an Powdrill, Johnson threw the ball towards the sideline an Powdrill cut up field.

The running game looked good too, no really big runs but most of them were for positive yard so you cant complain there.

Our defense started off slow to me but it looked like they picked it up after a drive or two.

I think if Johnson is picked to be the #1 QB with another week of practice with the first string offense he should be ready to rock n roll come the 3rd.

Mike
08-27-2011, 05:42 PM

LINK: Post Scrimmage Interviews (http://bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=378&catid=1)

CardinalClaw
08-27-2011, 06:03 PM
I hate to hear that about Jackson, I sure hope he is 100% by the South Alabama game.

CardAmbassador
08-27-2011, 06:08 PM

I just got done, listening, that was good stuff. I didn't know Venson was a DB at TCU, I feel good that with more time he can step up into that RB position and be great for us in his junior and senior seasons.

I think the team has come a long way from the spring when I look at the production from the offense.

MESSAGE TO MARCUS: Take as long as you need, Texas College is not worth it!

Thanks for the interviews Fred. This is quality stuff.

LU4LIFE
08-27-2011, 06:16 PM
Really great stuff on here thanks Fred. I agree M Jackson needs to make sure he is 100% before he comes back. No reason to play against Texas college if he's not a 100% and risk further injuries that might side line him even long.

CardinalClaw
08-27-2011, 06:17 PM
Venson has been a big disappointment IMO, I too thought he looked really good in the spring an I had high hopes for him. If he doesn't have a good season this year I'm sure he will put it together next season like CA said.

AggiesAreWe
08-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Good stuff Fred.

(oh, and JJ knows what I meant about the comparison between him and Reed, the soph. QB at Silsbee);) :laugh:

CardAmbassador
08-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Venson has been a big disappointment IMO, I too thought he looked really good in the spring an I had high hopes for him. If he doesn't have a good season this year I'm sure he will put it together next season like CA said.

I haven't been to any of the practices obviously but I do remember from the spring that he had an electrigying style of running. I think coach Brown said it best, he is new to the position, he only started at it in the spring. I believe our expectations were all a bit too high for how much experience he has. I expect him to contribute much more next year.

Logan and Hussey are no slouches, I think between them and Garrett we can get the job done running the pigskin.

Mike
08-28-2011, 04:56 AM
Bump to top. Scrimmage Breakdown with interviews now posted.

LINK: 8/27 Scrimmage Breakdown with Interviews (http://bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=378&catid=1)

ScreamingDeane
08-28-2011, 02:03 PM
nice breakdown, thanks fred. i wasnt able to attend the scrimmages and the stories and opinions have been great for me to read.

CardAmbassador
08-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Bump to top. Scrimmage Breakdown with interviews now posted.

LINK: 8/27 Scrimmage Breakdown with Interviews (http://bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=378&catid=1)

The commentary is really nice, if you haven't read this and you missed the scrimmage this is a good read.