PDA

View Full Version : QB Bevil to start opener Saturday

coachacola
09-01-2011, 12:42 AM
According to Chris Dabe:

Coach Ray Woodard picked Bevil over sophomore Doug Prewitt and redshirt freshman Jeremy Johnson to start Saturday at home against Texas College.

“I’m not going to say the other two aren’t going to play,” Woodard said Wednesday. “But when the first huddle takes the field, we can only put one quarterback out there to start the game and it’s going to be Andre.”

Woodard said all starting positions will be evaluated again after Saturday.

Link: http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/08/31/1367/

ScreamingDeane
09-01-2011, 12:49 AM
hot damn, he wouldve been my 3rd guess. I cant understand why JJ isnt starting. Hes the long term solution and it really doesnt matter who starts vs Texas college so why stir the pot more putting bevil in? Id start the johnson era and roll with it. he siad it hiself all would see the field so start the starter then give the other guys time.

CardAmbassador
09-01-2011, 12:55 AM
hot damn, he wouldve been my 3rd guess. I cant understand why JJ isnt starting. Hes the long term solution and it really doesnt matter who starts vs Texas college so why stir the pot more putting bevil in? Id start the johnson era and roll with it. he siad it hiself all would see the field so start the starter then give the other guys time.

Woodard used the reason I thought he would but picked a different guy. I expected Prewitt to get the start because he had game experience and Johnson didn't. I know I wasn't at any of the practices but everything I heard was Johnson and Prewitt, Bevil didn't have any impressive stats like the other two.

It really doesn't matter who starts against Texas College because like he said all of them will see some PT. But if Bevil is starting against South Alabama I'm going to be quite confused.

West
09-01-2011, 12:59 AM
Why can't we settle on one QB? I wouldn't care if I knew that Andre will play the whole year, but he has a history of having shoulder problems. Give Johnson or Prewitt a chance! Andre is not the answer.

ScreamingDeane
09-01-2011, 12:59 AM

Woodard used the reason I thought he would but picked a different guy. I expected Prewitt to get the start because he had game experience and Johnson didn't. I know I wasn't at any of the practices but everything I heard was Johnson and Prewitt, Bevil didn't have any impressive stats like the other two.

It really doesn't matter who starts against Texas College because like he said all of them will see some PT. But if Bevil is starting against South Alabama I'm going to be quite confused.

im sure he'll put who he thinks gives the team the best chance to win on the field im jsut surprised in a glorified practice game he decided to start the guy who we know what he can do. i thought hed give the freshman a shot when the game was 0-0. either way im a lu fan and bevil is a good cardinal so im 110% behind him.

LU4LIFE
09-01-2011, 01:00 AM
Honestly with Bevil being a senior and there not being any major separation between the QB's i'm not surprised by Bevil getting the start against TC.

coachacola
09-01-2011, 01:01 AM
I'm scratching my head on this. I'm guessing Woodard is treating this game like a scrimmage and will let all three play and he wants to ease Johnson into the starting position. Bevil is the senior and played the most last year so he's going with experience.

CardAmbassador
09-01-2011, 01:01 AM
Why can't we settle on one QB? I wouldn't care if I knew that Andre will play the whole year, but he has a history of having shoulder problems. Give Johnson or Prewitt a chance! Andre is not the answer.

I hate to be that guy questioning coaches but I have to agree. Prewitt or Johnson are the QB's of the future. And I'm not convinced the TO issue is solved. But we gotta stand behind the team. I think the starting QB will change for the South Alabama game.

Mike
09-01-2011, 01:03 AM
[quote="West" post=20530]Why can't we settle on one QB? I wouldn't care if I knew that Andre will play the whole year, but he has a history of having shoulder problems. Give Johnson or Prewitt a chance! Andre is not the answer.

Color me a little surpised but as good as Andre threw the deep ball last year I wouldnt go as far to saying "he's not the answer." His problems last year can be stemmed to no running game and that will not be an issue this year IMO. With what should be a much improved OL the running game and his protection should be better. If teams arent centered on stopping the pass (which is all they had to do last year) Andre could be a force throwing to JJ again this season.

Lets let this play out before jumping to conclusions.

bigred360
09-01-2011, 01:06 AM
After reading these comments about Bevil from Coach Whitten I'm not surprised.

"Andre has worked hard throughout camp and has continued to be more consistent," said Whitten of the 6-2, 175-pound product of West Orange-Stark by way of Navarro College. "He has done a good job of taking care of the football.

"It's easy to see he has an extra year under his belt, and every day he gets more and more comfortable with what we want to do offensively. He continues to throw the long ball well."

TBonesLU
09-01-2011, 01:10 AM
I am an Orange guy (as well as a Lamar Cardinal), so I hope Bevil does great. But my God, I want to see what Jeremy Johnson can do.

CardAmbassador
09-01-2011, 01:12 AM
I guess the reason I'm surprised was this whole time the coaches kept saying how everyone was neck and neck, that there was no QB clearly better than the other. Then Bevil sat out for a week. I thought at that point he was out of running for QB #1 against TC.

In the grand scheme of things it wont matter who starts the game against TC though, it will be who gets more snaps and who finishes with a better efficiency rating. The stats will be fun to pour over after the game, I can tell you that much.

Mr.KnowItAll
09-01-2011, 01:21 AM
95% sure we will see all 3 QBs Saturday. Also Bevil has not thrown near the amount of interceptions in practice as last year. Will it transfer to games? We shall see. But we will all get to see them Saturday to help judge the best candidate.

Mike
09-01-2011, 01:23 AM
I guess the reason I'm surprised was this whole time the coaches kept saying how everyone was neck and neck, that there was no QB clearly better than the other. Then Bevil sat out for a week. I thought at that point he was out of running for QB #1 against TC.

In the grand scheme of things it wont matter who starts the game against TC though, it will be who gets more snaps and who finishes with a better efficiency rating. The stats will be fun to poor over after the game, I can tell you that much.

Here's my thoughts:

He's the senior, plus he played well last year until teams figured out Lamar had no running game and he was injured. Anyone that doubts he can get the job done go re-watch last years McNeese State game.

IMO Woodard treats this like a NFL preseason game and plays Andre for a handful of series to help him get some snaps due to his missing practices and if he plays well, he will start next week. I think that in coach's eyes Andre gives the team the best chance to win vs what should be a good USA team next week and he doesn't want him going into that contest without having any meaningful snaps. So again, he starts, plays a few series and barring an injury or a pathetic showing vs a terrible Texas College team he'll be starting next week in the first real competition of the season.

Big T
09-01-2011, 01:24 AM
At the end of the season i hope we are calling Woodard a genious for this move. But right now i just don't understand it.

CardAmbassador
09-01-2011, 01:29 AM
I think we can agree on one thing, this shouldn't have been announced. They should have built up the suspense all the way to the game. Sure they needed to tell the players but the coaches could have denied any rumors until game day.

Mike
09-01-2011, 01:32 AM
I think we can agree on one thing, this shouldn't have been announced. They should have built up the suspense all the way to the game. Sure they needed to tell the players but the coaches could have denied any rumors until game day.

I don't think it matters. I think this just proves that Andre will be under center vs USA barring a terrible game or injury this week.

CardinalClaw
09-01-2011, 01:34 AM
IMO if it wasn't going to be Johnson named the starter it should of been Prewitt. He provide last season he was more effective at running our offense compared to Bevil an gives us the best shot at winning. I do believe Bevil can get the job done but he cant turn the ball over so much, an nobody knows if he has corrected that part of his game(I sure hope he has). I guess we will see how this plays out, but I still don't see Bevil being the #1 QB through the entire season.

Mike
09-01-2011, 01:39 AM
IMO if it wasn't going to be Johnson named the starter it should of been Prewitt. He provide last season he was more effective at running our offense compared to Bevil an gives us the best shot at winning. I do believe Bevil can get the job done but he cant turn the ball over so much, an nobody knows if he has corrected that part of his game(I sure hope he has). I guess we will see how this plays out, but I still don't see Bevil being the #1 QB through the entire season.

CC- read my post above about Bevils turnovers last season. He's not a big guy and by the end of the year when teams had film on LU he was getting blasted every game. We had no running game so teams geared to stop the pass and blitzed at will to put pressure on the QB. Andre was banged up and starting throwing the ball up for grabs and turnovers resulted.

I do agree that no matter the cause LU cant have the same turnover problems this season if they want to compete in the SLC.

Save Your Salad
09-01-2011, 01:46 AM
People are forgetting that Jeremy Johnson is a freshman and Pruitt is coming off a concussion.

Mike
09-01-2011, 01:48 AM
People are forgetting that Jeremy Johnson is a freshman and Pruitt is coming off a concussion.

Woodards quote said all 3 QB's will play so I doubt the concussion is an issue.

AggiesAreWe
09-01-2011, 01:51 AM
This was no surprise to me. I had predicted weeks ago that Bevil would be the starter in game 1. He is the senior and is very comfortable with the offense. He is the safe start against Texas College(and I think Woodard is giving the senior his due). But, I see all three QB's getting significant playing time in this game, so the starter is just a formality.

Now, the big question is, who is the starter after week 3? I am still betting that it is Jeremy.

bigred360
09-01-2011, 01:53 AM
As much as the TO's I hope Andre shows a little more leadership at the QB position than he did last year.

Other players watch how the QB acts to adversity.

CardAmbassador
09-01-2011, 01:53 AM
Here's my official stance: If the QB with the best stats in the TC game starts the South Alabama game then I'm cool with it.

It's just another scrimmage and Bevil is taking the first series.

lu cards
09-01-2011, 01:58 AM
the game against texas college is nothing more than a scrimmage.lamar could drop a 100 on this team so i expect some mercy.south alabama is really our first game this year.if prewitt or johnson look better than bevil i expect them to start next week.i will say if bevil is the guy next week then he gets my support.

CardinalClaw
09-01-2011, 01:59 AM
Here's my official stance: If the QB with the best stats in the TC game starts the South Alabama game then I'm cool with it.

It's just another scrimmage and Bevil is taking the first series.

+1 that's exactly how I'm looking at this game too.

CardinalClaw
09-01-2011, 02:01 AM
the game against texas college is nothing more than a scrimmage.lamar could drop a 100 on this team so i expect some mercy.south alabama is really our first game this year.if prewitt or johnson look better than bevil i expect them to start next week.i will say if bevil is the guy next week then he gets my support.

Me too, all I want is the best QB on the field.

NorthoftheBorder
09-01-2011, 02:01 AM
2 years at Navarro and last year at LU with Woodard and he's a senior this year, not too hard to figure out with the game being against Texas College. I think Mike's comments are on target. Don't think that Andre handles pressure well, but if he has time he can do some damage. The O-line improvements might make him an all american this year.

Mike
09-01-2011, 02:08 AM
95% sure we will see all 3 QBs Saturday. Also Bevil has not thrown near the amount of interceptions in practice as last year. Will it transfer to games? We shall see. But we will all get to see them Saturday to help judge the best candidate.

I'd bet we end up seeing Berry and Tatum Saturday night. ;)

CardAmbassador
09-01-2011, 02:14 AM

I'd bet we end up seeing Berry and Tatum Saturday night. ;)

It's not only going to be interesting to see who takes the field at QB but think about the freshmen TE's and guys like PJ Henderson who we don't know much about. Also we get to see all the RB's and WR's in live action. I'm interested to see how Beagleton does at WR.

I would definitely suggest buying an info guide for the game because there are going to be so many different #'s on the field Saturday it will be useful.

Lamar Pride
09-01-2011, 11:08 AM
[quote="West" post=20530]Why can't we settle on one QB? I wouldn't care if I knew that Andre will play the whole year, but he has a history of having shoulder problems. Give Johnson or Prewitt a chance! Andre is not the answer.

Color me a little surpised but as good as Andre threw the deep ball last year I wouldnt go as far to saying "he's not the answer." His problems last year can be stemmed to no running game and that will not be an issue this year IMO. With what should be a much improved OL the running game and his protection should be better. If teams arent centered on stopping the pass (which is all they had to do last year) Andre could be a force throwing to JJ again this season.

Lets let this play out before jumping to conclusions.

I agree. I was really hoping JJ would come in and be an instant superstar. Obviously, that didn't happen and Woodard is a loyal guy who wants to give his senior an opportunity in his final year. I probably would have made a different decision, but I've never coached a down of football in my life.

West
09-01-2011, 11:26 AM
You're right Mike, I need to reserve any judgements made about him until he solidifies the starting position or loses it.

It just sounds like a bunch of politics, and as I grow up (I'm only 20), it seems like the whole world is a bunch of stinkin' politics, everywhere you look!

Anyways I'm done with my rant. I support Bevil and hope he plays his best game every on Saturday.

TBonesLU
09-01-2011, 11:37 AM
You're right Mike, I need to reserve any judgements made about him until he solidifies the starting position or loses it.

It just sounds like a bunch of politics, and as I grow up (I'm only 20), it seems like the whole world is a bunch of stinkin' politics, everywhere you look!

Anyways I'm done with my rant. I support Bevil and hope he plays his best game every on Saturday.

While I understand what you mean, I think it is safe to say that Woodard is basing this decision solely on what he has seen and knows from Bevil's past. I doubt politics play a lot here...or in that case, he would be listening to all of us and Jeremy Johnson would be starting.

CardAmbassador
09-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Here's the words of Woodard we need to remember:

"...we can only put one quarterback out there to start the game and it's going to be Andre."

Woodard will evaluate all starting positions again after Saturday.

"We still have a number of players that haven't played in a game for us and units that haven't played together," Woodard said. "We certainly will evaluate everybody after this ballgame."

I think some people are under the impression means Bevil has won the starting spot and is now his to lose. I think he is letting Bevil start because he has more experience but there will be another evaluation after the game.

LU1991
09-01-2011, 02:06 PM
I can't say that I'm not a little surprised but I'm leaving it up to the coaches to do what they think is best. The fact that we have three QB's that could be possible starters is a good problem to have.

coachacola
09-01-2011, 03:31 PM
With Johnson being a freshman and not played last year, I'm guessing the coaches are not in a rush to have him start and they will let him grow into the starting position. Until conference play rolls around, there's really no need for Johnson to start as long as they give him plenty of playing time. Pruitt is probably destined to be the backup either way.

CardinalClaw
09-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Who all thinks Woodard has decided he would rather have USA not knowing exactly who our starting QB is going to be over Texas College not knowing?

TBonesLU
09-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Who all thinks Woodard has decided he would rather have USA not knowing exactly who our starting QB is going to be over Texas College not knowing?

Great point...we can pretty much chalk up Saturday's game with a "W". However, every game after that (with the exception of maybe Incarnate Word) is going to be based on that night's progress.

BigRedTrack
09-02-2011, 01:50 AM

I agree, I think there will be plenty of playing time for everyone Saturday night, not just QBs.