PDA

View Full Version : South Alabama Struggles to Win

mllme
09-02-2011, 06:19 PM
It looks like South Alabama struggled to win against West Alabama (Div II) to a score of 20-10. South Alabama's QB gave us 3 INTs and no TDs. I hope Lamar can learn from the game tapes, especially from West Alabama's defense.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=312440006

coachacola
09-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Here's what a Troy fan said about the game on the Sun Belt board.

Your QB looks like he could be a decent competitor at the DII level. But 2/3 of the passes he threw last night will be picked by NCSt.

The running backs were pretty tough, that was about the only thing i was impressed with last night.

South was lucky the QB for UWA couldnt do anything but the read option (and not very good at that). If he had a decent arm he would have opened the defense up ALOT and would have gotten a lot more yards.

There were also some decent licks, especially on the UWA QB on the 3rd down in 2nd half where he tried (again) to take off and run.

Link: http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=511194&pid=6770481#pid6770481

CardAmbassador
09-02-2011, 08:10 PM
It looks like South Alabama struggled to win against West Alabama (Div II) to a score of 20-10. South Alabama's QB gave us 3 INTs and no TDs. I hope Lamar can learn from the game tapes, especially from West Alabama's defense.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=312440006

This is good news for us. They will be adjusting after this game but the fact that they're struggling offensively will help us out.

I'll be really interested in our run defense tomorrow as that seems like the thing South did well.

I've been saying it for a while, I like our chances against South Bama, they didn't dominate us offensively last year, they just protected the football. If we can stop turning over the ball it will be a competitive game with South Alabama.

West Alabama is just an average DII team too, they're by no means a power house.

BigRedTrack
09-02-2011, 10:21 PM
My read is a win is a win, & their coaching staff has plenty ammo to get the players attention to perform better against us, plus they have more time to prepare having opened with a Thursday night game. I'm not as confident of winning over there as some.

oldbamadude
09-05-2011, 12:59 AM
Hey guys, I've watched most all of the Jags games and the West Alabama game is by far the worst I've ever seen them play, (penalties, fumbles, interceptions.) The worst thing that hurt was having our two best running backs (Houston & Baker) suspended for the first half. When they came in, there was a huge improvement in that area. So, I guess the best thing that can be said is that they played bad and still won, but if they continue to play like that, my "Still Undefeated" tee shirt will no longer be valid. I think what I saw Thursday night can be corrected. Could just have been some first game rust, and the absence of two good backs in the first half.

CardAmbassador
09-05-2011, 01:09 AM
Hey guys, I've watched most all of the Jags games and the West Alabama game is by far the worst I've ever seen them play, (penalties, fumbles, interceptions.) The worst thing that hurt was having our two best running backs (Houston & Baker) suspended for the first half. When they came in, there was a huge improvement in that area. So, I guess the best thing that can be said is that they played bad and still won, but if they continue to play like that, my "Still Undefeated" tee shirt will no longer be valid. I think what I saw Thursday night can be corrected. Could just have been some first game rust, and the absence of two good backs in the first half.

How do you get suspended for one half of a game? I've heard of one game suspensions, never partial game suspensions.

So are you guys run oriented? If so we might see some smash mouth football. It will be nice to see how we run vs. a run oriented offense. I'm sure you're defense is decent vs. the run if they see it alot.

lu cards
09-05-2011, 01:40 AM
lamar can win this game.i think talent wise were pretty even although usa has more depth.if we show up and play ball it will be a good game.i think usa will be surprised how much bigger we are this year.it should be a good game and would be a huge win for lu.

oldbamadude
09-05-2011, 02:06 AM

How do you get suspended for one half of a game? I've heard of one game suspensions, never partial game suspensions.

So are you guys run oriented? If so we might see some smash mouth football. It will be nice to see how we run vs. a run oriented offense. I'm sure you're defense is decent vs. the run if they see it alot.
All coach said about the suspensions was that it was about team rules, nothing too big apparently. Bennett apparently has won the starting job, has a good arm and can scramble if need be. Hopefully this was their worst game of the season. No, I wouldn't say they're run oriented, but we have two big backs that can move the pile. I think you saw Houston last year, but the new guy, Baker, is a transfer from Georgia. Looking forward to a great game.

CardAmbassador
09-05-2011, 02:08 AM

All coach said about the suspensions was that it was about team rules, nothing too big apparently. Bennett apparently has won the starting job, has a good arm and can scramble if need be. Hopefully this was their worst game of the season. No, I wouldn't say they're run oriented, but we have two big backs that can move the pile. I think you saw Houston last year, but the new guy, Baker, is a transfer from Georgia. Looking forward to a great game.

I think it's going to be a great game too. Make sure to come back during the week, we're going to be talking alot of South Alabama football for the next week. The game thread will be posted tomorrow morning.