PDA

View Full Version : LU blast Texas College 58-0

CardAmbassador
09-04-2011, 05:36 AM
BEAUMONT - Braving a steady and driving rain and winds that gusted up to 30 miles an hour at times, the Lamar University Cardinals opened their 2011 season with a decisive 58-0 victory over Texas College.

Although the inclement weather kept thousands of Lamar fans at home (sill, the paid attendance was 15,367), the Cardinals put on an impressive performance, one that included a four-touchdown 105-yard rushing performance by Navarro College transfer DePauldrick Garrett, who starred at nearby West Orange-Stark High School,

Garrett's four touchdowns set a Lamar record, and his 24 points surpassed Harold LaFitte's 46-year-old school record of 20 set in a 1965 game against Pensacola Navy.

Also, the eight extra points booted by sophomore Justin Stout matched the school record set by Walter Smith against Mexico Poly in 1961.

Teamwise, the 58-point winning margin was the largest in school history, exceeding the 48 points by which the 1953 Cardinals outscored Mexico Poly.

The 5-foot-8, 190-pound Garrett scored on runs of 1, 2 and 1 yards, and the Cardinals also received a 2-yard TD run by Octavious Logan and a 38-yard interception return for a score by junior defensive back Adrian Guillory in the first half, alone. The 35 first-half points were six more than the one-game high last season.

Garrett scored his fourth TD of the night early in the third quarter, moments after sophomore Kye Hildreth recovered a fumbled punt by the Steers at the 7-yard line. Two plays later, Garrett gouged his way into the north end zone to break both school standards.

Full Article: http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/090411aaa.html

CardAmbassador
09-04-2011, 06:20 AM
DePauldrick Garrett gave the Lamar University football team what it needed Saturday night.

His four touchdowns - all on rushes - set school records for touchdowns and points (24) in a single game to help the Cardinals to a 58-0 victory against Texsas College at Provost Umphrey Stadium.

"I was just trying to be aggressive," Garrett said. "I wanted to set the tone. It's going to be a balanced offense this year. I just kept playing hard. As a team, our O-line improved a lot from the spring."

Garrett found a majority of his 105 rushing yards on 20 carries by running to the left side of a beefed-up offensive line anchored by left tackle Anthony Oden, a 6-foot-8, 305-pound transfer from Arkansas.

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/Garrett-sets-records-as-Lamar-wins-opener-2155046.php#ixzz1WxwSqKJI

coachacola
09-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Two negatives I see that they need to work on before the next game:

6 fumbles, losing 2 of them. Weather may been a factor but that's a lot.

13 penalties for 110 yards. No excuse for that, especially against Texas College.

CardAmbassador
09-04-2011, 02:46 PM

13 penalties for 110 yards. No excuse for that, especially against Texas College.

Weather was definitely a factor there but there were alot some others. The first TD pass that was thrown by Johnson that ended up being fumbled by Hildreth I believe was just a good strip by the defense, that was one of the better plays by their defense for the entire game.

Then fourth string guys like Harmon had fumbles, he is young and will not see the field again until Incarnate Word. The fumble by Prewitt was not really his fault that was definitely a result of terrible snaps by whoever his center was and the weather.

I'm actually impressed that for as much as we ran the ball there weren't more fumbles by the Running backs, looking through the stats it looks like neither Logan or Garrett fumbled, that is a actually good news as the rain made it easy for the ball to pop out.

I was really disappointed that we didn't get to see more of the pass game but passing in that wind and rain was a bit much to ask any of our QB's to do.

I completely agree about the penalties though, it seemed like many of them were on the third stringers but Oden had a penalty and so did some guys on the 2nd string offensive line.

I think Fred Davis comments were dead on last night, LU has a solid 1st string that looks like it can compete with anyone in the conference, the second string and lower is where we will have to see improvement if we want to win close games.

The center that was snapping to Prewitt was having alot of trouble, anyone know who that was?

All and all we can't take much away from this game because of both the conditions and the weather. I'm really disappointed about that but we have to live with it.

The 1st string defense man handled Texas College, if we would have left them in all game they would have been negative in all categories.

Big T
09-04-2011, 03:46 PM
You didn't want to pass a lot against TC because you didn't want to show USA to much about the play calling. They also didn't show a lot with the runnung game mainly just busting it thriugh the left side with Oden and Cambell leading the way.

NorthoftheBorder
09-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Why was Prewitt working with the 2nd & 3rd strimg. Kind of hampers his performance in comparison to the other 2 doesn't it?

bigred360
09-04-2011, 11:44 PM

Totally agree with you coachacola. We have to hold on to the ball and not use the weather for an excuse.

CardinalClaw
09-05-2011, 12:40 AM
Why was Prewitt working with the 2nd & 3rd strimg. Kind of hampers his performance in comparison to the other 2 doesn't it?

I have been wondering the same thing, it doesn't seem fair to Prewitt for Bevil an Johnson to get all the playing time with the first string an he gets thrown out there with the third string. Prewitt showed last season he deserves the same opportunity to win the #1 spot as the other two, an I just don't feel he was given that last night.

coachacola
09-05-2011, 12:46 AM

I have been wondering the same thing, it doesn't seem fair to Prewitt for Bevil an Johnson to get all the playing time with the first string an he gets thrown out there with the third string. Prewitt showed last season he deserves the same opportunity to win the #1 spot as the other two, an I just don't feel he was given that last night.

I think Prewitt is destined to be the backup QB. Bevil will start but JJ will play more each game until he's ready to take over. I think the coaches know what Prewitt can do, he's a solid backup, but JJ has so much upside that it's just a matter of time before he takes over.

bigred360
09-05-2011, 12:49 AM
Completely agree coachacola and Prewittt is our Jason Garrett. The coaches are going to give Johnson every opportunity to win the job and with his upside you can't blame them.

CardAmbassador
09-05-2011, 01:07 AM
Completely agree coachacola and Prewittt is our Jason Garrett. The coaches are going to give Johnson every opportunity to win the job and with his upside you can't blame them.

I can understand why JJ got alot of time because he does have alot of up side and while his accuracy is suspect sometimes overall he seems to be on at least on the same level as Prewitt now. I'm confused why the coaching staff thinks that Bevil is the starter after he sat out for over a week, he still looks like he is going to force the ball and that will not work against better teams.

IMO Prewitt may not have the upside JJ has but he has the responsibility. He can manage a game and do nothing to shot us in the foot, he can only help us win.

Personally I would like to see JJ and Prewitt battle for the starting time, but for some reason Bevil is getting the nod by the coaches. I may not like it but I think the coaches are still adjusting things. I'm almost 100% positive we will see multiple QB's against Incarnate Word.

This thing isn't over. And I'm sure Prewitt is keeping his head up, he's a walk-on who became the starter at the end of last season. He's not counting himself out I'm sure.

Oh, and not everyone is going to get a chance to play with the first string offense because we don't want any injuries on that unit, those guys didn't play for very long. Prewitt didn't come out until the second half so he wasn't going to get starters, but don't you think the coaches are smart enough take that into consideration?