PDA

View Full Version : LU v. Texas College - Post Game Press Conference

BRI Staff
09-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Beaumont, Texas-- LU shutout Texas College 58-0 in their season opener Saturday night at Provost Umphrey Stadium. We were at the post game press conference to hear Coach Woodard and DePauldrick Garrett's comments about the game and have provided it here for our members to listen.

LINK: LU vs Texas College post game presser (http://bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=392&catid=1)

note: might need to use the external player to listen depending on your computer.

CardAmbassador
09-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Beaumont, Texas-- LU shutout Texas College 58-0 in their season opener Saturday night at Provost Umphrey Stadium. We were at the post game press conference to hear Coach Woodard and DePauldrick Garrett's comments about the game and have provided it here for our members to listen.

LINK: Press Conference Notes (http://www.bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=392&catid=1)

note: might need to use the external player to listen depending on your computer.

Sounds like coach Woodard was really relieved that we had this team scheduled after the events this past week in his personal life. Coach Woodard is going to be a grand father too!

I agree with Garrett about the run game, did well but it was a B- performance. I think we could have busted open for some longer plays. It was the first game so we got those jitters out of the way, next week we will go out there calm and ready to compete.

Go CARDS!

NorthoftheBorder
09-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Very good point! No long run plays against Texas College, a team that might finish in the middle of the pack in 20-4A with Campbell and Oden on one side of the line. We will just have to see how much the run game has improved as the season goes on. I was hoping with the improvements on the line the run game would be much better, but I don't know that this game showed as much promise as I had hoped.

CardAmbassador
09-04-2011, 08:56 PM
I was thinking about it, maybe the reason we didn't bust it wide open for any long ones was because of the lack of passing. We didn't try to hide the fact that we were going to run and Texas College loaded the box on us. Most big runs are set up by some type of draw or play action where the safeties and defensive backs are drawn out.

This is just another reason why this weather really hampered our evaluation of this game. I am impressed that Garrett didn't fumble in the rain though, that is one shinny nugget in all of this.

NorthoftheBorder
09-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Did you see the box score? The avg yds/carry will not blow you away considering the level of competition. Is that the lines fault? I am having a hard time with Texas College being able to load the box and keep our backs at 5 yds a carry. Granted, if we were playing McNeese, SFA or Sam I would be happy with 5 yds/carry.

bigred360
09-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Very good point! No long run plays against Texas College, a team that might finish in the middle of the pack in 20-4A with Campbell and Oden on one side of the line. We will just have to see how much the run game has improved as the season goes on. I was hoping with the improvements on the line the run game would be much better, but I don't know that this game showed as much promise as I had hoped.

For long runs to happen the WR's have to be blocking down field and I remember one of the longer runs called back due to a holding penalty against one of our WR's.

Then JJ's long TD that was called back due to a block in the back. We have to cut down on these penalties.