PDA

View Full Version : Five Key Questions after Texas College

Mike
09-04-2011, 09:27 PM
How do you answer them?

LINK: Five Key Questions...... (http://bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=393:five-key-questions-after-texas-college&catid=1:latest-news)

bigred360
09-05-2011, 12:02 AM
The score could have been worse as on JJ's long TD run and catch was called back and we ended up punting on that possession.

The weather was terrible and it is hard to pass when the wind is blowing 30 MPH.

Finally, our coaching staff was classy and let everyone play and didn't attempt to score with 3 minutes left in the game and we were inside Texas College's 20.

lu cards
09-05-2011, 01:00 AM
i came away with a couple of my own questions answered.

1. we are a better team not sure how much but we are better(TEXAS COLLEGE IS A BAD GAUGE)
we had 3 starters not playing also

2. special teams is much improved

3.we will have a better running game

4. quarterback battle could be a distraction

cardinal
09-05-2011, 01:15 AM
I have a related question? Why is there even a qb controversy? Prewitt won the job last year and clearly outperformed bevil. He completed over 62% of his passes and had a 2-1 td to intercepgion ratio. How could he go from the starter to 3rd string? I saw a quote from coach Woodard after the game. When asked about Bevil he said "he didn't do anything to tell me that he shouldn't continue to start". Those weren't his exact words but you get the idea. My other question to Woodard and everyone else is what did Prewitt do while starting the justifies him to no longer be the starter? The job should be Prewitt's to lose. He is getting a raw deal. It is apparent thY Woodard's ties to Bevil are clouding his judgement. Bevil is not an accurate passer, turns theball over too much and his 3-9 performance last night didnothing to change my mind. Finally, Jeremy Johnson appears to be an excellent scrambler but he made some horrible throws. Last night only solidified what I and many other real fans believe, Presitt should start until he shows that he he isn't worthy of the job (which likely wont happen).

CardAmbassador
09-05-2011, 01:18 AM
i came away with a couple of my own questions answered.

1. we are a better team not sure how much but we are better(TEXAS COLLEGE IS A BAD GAUGE)
we had 3 starters not playing also

2. special teams is much improved

3.we will have a better running game

4. quarterback battle could be a distraction

I agree, I know coach Woodard's official line is that it's a good problem to have and it is to an extent, but it's one of those things you would like to see resolved before the first game. This battle might extend into game 3. I would really like to see the battle narrowed but I just don't see it happening without a huge uproar by fans. I'm just ready to have 1 QB honestly.

I can't agree more about this:

2. Was moving Jacody Coleman from DE to LB the right decision?

...He led the Cardinals with 7 tackles and trust me, Texas College offensive players were well aware where #55 was on the field last night. He had a couple HUGE hits, one early that resulted in a bogus personal foul penalty that I'm still scratching my head about. Coleman didn't lead with his head and the ball was still in play, it was just hard nosed football and a waste of a flag. It didn't matter in the big scheme of things but it's still irritating

What a terrible call. That really seemed like they were just protecting the Steers from aggressive hits. I feel bad for the Steers because they were clearly outmatched at every position, but at the same time they're football players, if they didn't want to get hit hard they wouldn't play football.

bigred360
09-05-2011, 01:27 AM
I have a related question? Why is there even a qb controversy? Prewitt won the job last year and clearly outperformed bevil. He completed over 62% of his passes and had a 2-1 td to intercepgion ratio. How could he go from the starter to 3rd string? I saw a quote from coach Woodard after the game. When asked about Bevil he said "he didn't do anything to tell me that he shouldn't continue to start". Those weren't his exact words but you get the idea. My other question to Woodard and everyone else is what did Prewitt do while starting the justifies him to no longer be the starter? The job should be Prewitt's to lose. He is getting a raw deal. It is apparent thY Woodard's ties to Bevil are clouding his judgement. Bevil is not an accurate passer, turns theball over too much and his 3-9 performance last night didnothing to change my mind. Finally, Jeremy Johnson appears to be an excellent scrambler but he made some horrible throws. Last night only solidified what I and many other real fans believe, Presitt should start until he shows that he he isn't worthy of the job (which likely wont happen).

Dude, Coach Woodard had a open competition for the starting QB position this spring and summer. Last year was last year. Yes, it appears by the Head Coach for the Lamar Cardinals that Bevil has beat out Prewitt.

Not talking about you but I've read some really stupid comments about this whole Quarterback controversy.

The coaches get paid to make these decisions and they have spent a lot more time with each player than anyone on one of the Lamar fan boards! :whistle:

CardAmbassador
09-05-2011, 01:40 AM

From your screen name I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, you're probably not just a friend of Prewitt but someone you just thinks he is a better QB than Bevil, we agree here. As BR360 said though this is Woodard's job and guess what, he might have a connection to Bevil, but I bet he really wants to continue making 130k plus a year to coach football, if he doesn't choose the best QB then he is shooting himself in the foot, do you think Woodard is that biased? I don't.

Another clarification, as much as I like Prewitt he did not win the starting spot from Bevil, Bevil was injured so Prewitt got to start, yes he won against those teams but many times if a player loses a spot to an injury he gets it back. Bevil can pass for big time yards, his problem is he forces the ball. Some people think he has fixed this, if he has, then he is probably a better QB, I don't think he has, but the coaches are with the players all day everyday.

This battle is not over I promise, they will do the same thing against Incarnate Word, lets wait till then.

Thanks for joining.

cardinal
09-05-2011, 04:01 AM
Dude, all I can go by is what I see on the field. You can go with the hype/reputation of JJ, you can go with Bevil because if his great game against McNeese or you can go with the one that gas performed the best on the field
..prewitt.

cardinal
09-05-2011, 04:25 AM
Yea, ok prewitt and I are best friends and I am just making up his 62.5% completion rate and bevil's 54% (33%) last night. Granted last night was almost impossible to judge but bevil missed some wide open throws as did johnson. To address your allegations, I know who he us but i've never met him. As I recall, the worse bevil played the more "hurt" he became. Id you think he really list his job last year, well..whatever. I guess you can believe that and I can't make a definitive argument against it but most everyone could tell what was really going on. Bevil does throw a great deep ball but that is about it. It didn't take long for defenses to realize that. Two deep zone and or blitzes and be il is toast. Now, back to prewitt. I neversaw him play in high school and was surprisedhe was even trying to walk on at LU. Additionally, they had him at receiver. I am not surehow it came about but he was moved to qb and was like 5th string ir something. He then gradually moved up the depth charts and I was really shocked. I honestly thought backuos had to all be hurt for him to move up. Then after watching bevil gradually get worse week after week we were long overdue for a change. I was extremely shocked at how well prewitt played. Every aspect of his game was much better than I expected: goodarm strength, accurate, very good mobility, able to throw on the run and his apparent toughness. I mean, a walk on? Why wouldanyone walk on to play football? Anyway, yes part of me wants him to start because ut is a great story. It goes along with why u am an lu fan, I love pulling for the underdog. But I also want him to play because, based on what u saw last year and based on the statistics, he us the better av. So, again, he should be the starter. If he starts out with a bad couple of games, fine...benchhim

CardAmbassador
09-05-2011, 06:17 AM
Yea, ok prewitt and I are best friends and I am just making up his 62.5% completion rate and bevil's 54% (33%) last night. Granted last night was almost impossible to judge but bevil missed some wide open throws as did johnson. To address your allegations, I know who he us but i've never met him. As I recall, the worse bevil played the more "hurt" he became. Id you think he really list his job last year, well..whatever. I guess you can believe that and I can't make a definitive argument against it but most everyone could tell what was really going on. Bevil does throw a great deep ball but that is about it. It didn't take long for defenses to realize that. Two deep zone and or blitzes and be il is toast. Now, back to prewitt. I neversaw him play in high school and was surprisedhe was even trying to walk on at LU. Additionally, they had him at receiver. I am not surehow it came about but he was moved to qb and was like 5th string ir something. He then gradually moved up the depth charts and I was really shocked. I honestly thought backuos had to all be hurt for him to move up. Then after watching bevil gradually get worse week after week we were long overdue for a change. I was extremely shocked at how well prewitt played. Every aspect of his game was much better than I expected: goodarm strength, accurate, very good mobility, able to throw on the run and his apparent toughness. I mean, a walk on? Why wouldanyone walk on to play football? Anyway, yes part of me wants him to start because ut is a great story. It goes along with why u am an lu fan, I love pulling for the underdog. But I also want him to play because, based on what u saw last year and based on the statistics, he us the better av. So, again, he should be the starter. If he starts out with a bad couple of games, fine...benchhim

Guy, read what I said to begin with: I think that Prewitt is a better QB, he makes better decisions with the ball, he doesn't force the ball. That, for whatever reason is not how the coaches feel. So I was agreeing with you. If you're such a great judge of QB talent go be a QB coach somewhere.

When did you start following the team last year? Bevil's completion rate was actually pretty high at the beginning of the season. Bevil not Prewitt holds two Lamar records (Most Completions and Most Passing Yards) Then he got hurt, fine call him a sissy or what ever you want to do, I'm sure it's something you wouldn't say to his face.

Point is if the coaches think that Bevil has cured himself of the turnover bug I would actually go the other way and say Bevil is a better QB. And lets not forget about JJ, look at his stats, look at what he did in training camp, if he wasn't a RS freshmen I would bet my life that guy would be our starting QB.

You can't point to last nights stats because of the conditions and the team. If you're a Lamar fan then why don't you support the coach of LAMAR'S TEAM. This was game only one game against bad competition (Texas College) and some people are acting like Woodard has just slapped Prewitt in the face.

And if you feel so strongly about it why don't you go lecture Woodard about why he is wrong. The guy is a HC of DI university he knows a thing or two about football, it's his life, he can probably give you lesson on the entire game.

P.S. Prewitt is on schlarship, receives medical insurance, nutrition, tutoring and top notch recovery facilities. Has Woodard really been that bad to the kid???

theTestament
09-05-2011, 07:39 AM

Guy, read what I said to begin with: I think that Prewitt is a better QB, he makes better decisions with the ball, he doesn't force the ball. That, for whatever reason is not how the coaches feel. So I was agreeing with you. If you're such a great judge of QB talent go be a QB coach somewhere.

When did you start following the team last year? Bevil's completion rate was actually pretty high at the beginning of the season. Bevil not Prewitt holds two Lamar records (Most Completions and Most Passing Yards) Then he got hurt, fine call him a sissy or what ever you want to do, I'm sure it's something you wouldn't say to his face.

Point is if the coaches think that Bevil has cured himself of the turnover bug I would actually go the other way and say Bevil is a better QB. And lets not forget about JJ, look at his stats, look at what he did in training camp, if he wasn't a RS freshmen I would bet my life that guy would be our starting QB.

You can't point to last nights stats because of the conditions and the team. If you're a Lamar fan then why don't you support the coach of LAMAR'S TEAM. This was game only one game against bad competition (Texas College) and some people are acting like Woodard has just slapped Prewitt in the face.

And if you feel so strongly about it why don't you go lecture Woodard about why he is wrong. The guy is a HC of DI university he knows a thing or two about football, it's his life, he can probably give you lesson on the entire game.

P.S. Prewitt is on schlarship, receives medical insurance, nutrition, tutoring and top notch recovery facilities. Has Woodard really been that bad to the kid???

Ok, let me step in here and say something. Just because you are a fan of Lamar does not mean you have to support the Coach. That is a ludicrous statement. I happen to be a huge fan of PNG and for the longest time I would pray that the school board would replace Burnett. Granted he was a great defensive coach, but his head coaching ability was never even close to par. He knew a lot about football, but one of his biggest flaws was not being able to evaluate his talent(or not listening to his position coaches opinions). Now from what I can tell it seems as if Woodard may have the same problem/s. Having a QB controversy is not a bad thing, yes, but only if the talent level of all Qb's involved are of the same caliber. Clearly this is not the case for Lamar and everyone here seems to agree on this. Guys come on, quit bashing another boarder for his opinions. Really, these boards are for information, opinions, and debate.

A little side note for you on talent evaluation: Brennan Doty, who Woodard refused to even talk with, is now the 3rd string Qb for Oregon Ducks. All projections have him actually at #2 because they are trying to utilize the athletic ability of their #2 by moving him to WR. The QB coach for the Ducks is on record saying that if Doty keeps progressing at the rate thus far, then he could very well be the starter next year. Great for Doty, but very sad for Lamar.

boomer
09-05-2011, 09:31 AM
I agree I love the Longhorns and cannot stand Mack Brown. Debate don't bash. Like I posted earlier weather and lack of oponets talent leave little room to access anything. I want a Qb that throws not runs. We have great relievers where's this line that was so highly touted. That score was misleading! look at the box score this could be a long season. We could throw at will last year now we can't take the same talent and do anything. Woodard has his work cut out for him and I say again BETTER HIM THAN ME!

BigRed98
09-05-2011, 10:40 AM
As I've said before, blind allegiance to a QB he brought with him calls his coaching ability into question. Furthermore, his choice for OC was horrible.

Bevil may have done great at the beginning of the season last year, but as defenses realized that all he could do was throw deep, they prepped for that. Look at the difference in his stats as the year progressed. Look at the difference in his McNeese stats as they changed up their defense against him.

But hey, let's give Woodward and Bevil blind loyalty. When the newness wears off of the program and people don't want to see poor quality, there will be you, me, and about 100 others in the stands. At least we won't need message board any more. We can just chat in the stands. There won't be a game worth watching.

ScreamingDeane
09-05-2011, 12:10 PM
#5- i agree because the year of offseason and key team editions obviously make this team a better team than last years group.

#4- i guess we'll see because if its not itll be a long season. some teams are either diciplined and some arent and theres nothing you can do to change it. some are just snakebit. im hoping the weather and opening game mistakes are all it was.

#3- I am. i think if they wanted they couldve ran for as many yards as they wanted. plus the fire of the team had to be down a little once they all realized how inferior that school was.

#2- time will tell but having dorsey back for game action last night sure sured up that dline some since the practices. i was able to make a couple of the later practices and was concerned when the offense was gashing the ddefense up the middle. i love coleman at linebacker but time should tell whether it was the right choice or not.

#1- Heck no it hasnt but i tell you what some on here im reading are going overboard on their assesments. i think its the coaches wish to have jeremy johnson as the starter. none of us were at all the pracices, film sessions, weight training, etc but coach woodard and his staff has. they made a decision and we as fans should stick by it. heck doug prewitt has a better attitude about the situation than most of our fans. if he keeps busting butt they wont be able to keep him off that field but all the armchair talking going on messageboards isnt going to change a thing. get behind whoever is on the field cause theyre all cardinals that are playing for us.

ScreamingDeane
09-05-2011, 12:15 PM
testiment- i think its pretty clear that johnson is long term QB in beaumont. plus they already had a young prewitt. i think he offered doty if they didnt have johnson. whether they made the right choice is up for debate but we cant fault them for not giving out another qb scholorship with what they already had on campus. forney doesnt count cause there was never intent on letting him play qb. wasnt he moved after the first practice to tight end? hes just a big body they figured could play another position. plus if lamar screweed up how about houston, tcu, baylor, texas a&m, rice, etc screw up because i dont think he was offered by any of them. i hope he blows up in oregon but i dont think lamar did anything wrong. they just went in another direction.

LU4LIFE
09-05-2011, 02:05 PM
testiment- i think its pretty clear that johnson is long term QB in beaumont. plus they already had a young prewitt. i think he offered doty if they didnt have johnson. whether they made the right choice is up for debate but we cant fault them for not giving out another qb scholorship with what they already had on campus. forney doesnt count cause there was never intent on letting him play qb. wasnt he moved after the first practice to tight end? hes just a big body they figured could play another position. plus if lamar screweed up how about houston, tcu, baylor, texas a&m, rice, etc screw up because i dont think he was offered by any of them. i hope he blows up in oregon but i dont think lamar did anything wrong. they just went in another direction.

Yes ScreamingDeane that is right.

bigred360
09-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Dude, all I can go by is what I see on the field. You can go with the hype/reputation of JJ, you can go with Bevil because if his great game against McNeese or you can go with the one that gas performed the best on the field
..prewitt.

No man, I go with the coaches decision because I wouldn't want them telling me how to take care of a cardiac patient. They have forgot more than I know about the game of football. LOL

CardAmbassador
09-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Wait, because I'm defending coach Woodard from being bashed it's not OK to be a little defensive? We should just bash the coaches who are doing their job? But fans who arm chair coach like they know everything about all the players can't be criticized?

Few things: every single program is going to pass up talent in it's own back yards, we had so many other needs on this team. Scholarship wise we needed other players besides QB, we only have 63 scholarships. And as someone else said all the FCS schools in this area every single school besides Oregon passed him up. I'm sorry your favorite HS QB didn't get to play for Lamar, that's not the point of LU athletics, for your favorite HS athlete to get recruited. People keep talking about blind loyalty to Bevil? Really? It sure looks like Johnson is giving every opportunity to beat out Bevil for a QB spot.

It was Texas College, it was one game. So a coach is only given 1 season and 1 game before we start throwing him under the bus?

He hired a different OC that went to Texas Tech, it was the best he could do on short notice. Lamar isn't paying people in gold, Woodard only makes $130K as HC. Our basketball coach makes more than that.

If this was three years into Woodard's tenure I could understand some of the complaints, but most of this is just people giving very little time to a situation. Hind sights 20/20. Look at the way this team was thrown together, the guy has been given very little time to field a competitive team. Compare how we have started up to how South Alabama has done things. If we hang with them next week people should be applauding Woodard because they have far more resources and time invested in their football team.

coachacola
09-05-2011, 03:15 PM
The coaches said before the Texas College game they were going to run run run. Throw in the bad weather and the fact this was going to be like an exhibition game then no QB was going to throw that much. Maybe Bevil and JJ played most of the first half to see who was going to backup Prewitt this Saturday. They didn't want to show USA anything, and I'm sure the USA coaches will have a hard time evaluating Lamar based on that game. Johnson is a freshman and really hasn't played a real game yet so the coaches are going to give him plenty of chances to succeed before giving up on him.

theTestament
09-05-2011, 09:06 PM

First off, he did not have to offer Doty a scholarship. Doty wanted to play for Lamar and was willing to walk on and was told by the coaching staff that they were not interested in him. Secondly, I do think all those other schools missed out on a great opportunity in Doty, but this is a Lamar fan site and I happen to be a fan of Lamar talking about Lamar football.

CardAmbassador
09-05-2011, 10:47 PM

First off, he did not have to offer Doty a scholarship. Doty wanted to play for Lamar and was willing to walk on and was told by the coaching staff that they were not interested in him. Secondly, I do think all those other schools missed out on a great opportunity in Doty, but this is a Lamar fan site and I happen to be a fan of Lamar talking about Lamar football.

That's great that he wanted to play here, I'm sorry it didn't work out. The coaching staff chose to address different needs, notice that we didn't allow any more walk on QB's. They were probably comfortable with what we have at that position and were trying to address other needs (o line, defensive backs, etc.)

Thanks for being a Lamar football fan, at least that means you will continue to be a fan even if certain players don't get on the team. We can't say that about everyone.

theTestament
09-05-2011, 11:21 PM

That's great that he wanted to play here, I'm sorry it didn't work out. The coaching staff chose to address different needs, notice that we didn't allow any more walk on QB's. They were probably comfortable with what we have at that position and were trying to address other needs (o line, defensive backs, etc.)

Thanks for being a Lamar football fan, at least that means you will continue to be a fan even if certain players don't get on the team. We can't say that about everyone.

Well I am a fan and an alum. I think that gives me the right to question some of the coaching decisions. Look I am not questioning Woodard's knowledge level or love of his job, but I am questioning his ability as a HC. Now I am not oblivious to the simple aspect of "he is starting a program from the ground up". I realize this and wish him the best. But as a former coach, I understand the very importance of reconizing and utilizing your talent. This is an area that alot of coaches have a hard time with. In the little time that he has had to do this, I think this is his biggest weakness thus far and maybe his only. He can overcome this just as many HC's do by having a capable coaching staff in which he listens to. I am not saying he does not, but then again we are still having this conversation.

bigred360
09-05-2011, 11:30 PM
We will be having conversations like this every year because there will be people questioning the head coach. Maybe not the QB position but another skilled position player.

BTW, I have a relative who is a Lamar alumnus and former coach and he thinks Coach Woodard has done a great job so far as this is still a young program.

CardAmbassador
09-05-2011, 11:35 PM

Well I am a fan and an alum. I think that gives me the right to question some of the coaching decisions. Look I am not questioning Woodard's knowledge level or love of his job, but I am questioning his ability as a HC. Now I am not oblivious to the simple aspect of "he is starting a program from the ground up". I realize this and wish him the best. But as a former coach, I understand the very importance of reconizing and utilizing your talent. This is an area that alot of coaches have a hard time with. In the little time that he has had to do this, I think this is his biggest weakness thus far and maybe his only. He can overcome this just as many HC's do by having a capable coaching staff in which he listens to. I am not saying he does not, but then again we are still having this conversation.

I'm not saying people can't question the coaching staff, but you have to give them more time and some credit that they spend more time with these kids than any of us. People are talking about who he hired or why we didn't do A. Well Lamar like all FCS programs is limited by dollars.

I'll definitely question the coaching staff if recruiting this next year isn't greatly improved from last year. But we also have to realize this was one game, Woodard can't give everyone equal time or shot in one night. And I always give a coach more than a season and one game before I say we need to toss him.

Also I just don't see how we can question coach for passing up a walk on QB when we already had 5 on our roster. I think we have enough weaknesses in other places that it makes sense to address those concerns first before taking another QB.

bigred360
09-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Coach Woodard as already address the use of the 3 QB's and it was more fair than most people know. Bevil started the game and was told prior to the game that Johnson would come in on the 3rd series and they would split the snaps in the first half.

Then starting the 2nd half was Prewitt with the first three series with the number one offense.

Finally, obviously he has read this message board and asked that people can support their guy but not to say things personal against any of the other QB. If they wanted to bash someone he is the head coach so bash him. "I'm big enough to handle it."

LU4LIFE
09-06-2011, 12:45 AM
Coach Woodard as already address the use of the 3 QB's and it was more fair than most people know. Bevil started the game and was told prior to the game that Johnson would come in on the 3rd series and they would split the snaps in the first half.

Then starting the 2nd half was Prewitt with the first three series with the number one offense.

Finally, obviously he has read this message board and asked that people can support their guy but not to say things personal against any of the other QB. If they wanted to bash someone he is the head coach so bash him. "I'm big enough to handle it."

I think it ridiculous that coach would have to make a statement like this. Having an opinion on which QB you think should get the starting job is one thing, but making personal comments about the other young men trying to win this position is totally unnecessary and shows little class but that's just my opinion on this.

theTestament
09-06-2011, 01:17 AM

I think it ridiculous that coach would have to make a statement like this. Having an opinion on which QB you think should get the starting job is one thing, but making personal comments about the other young men trying to win this position is totally unnecessary and shows little class but that's just my opinion on this.

Oh sorry, I did not realize that this was Pop Warner football and everyone needs to be encouraged. Give me a break. This is a college football team and sorry, but these young men are getting free college and some to play sports. Its time to graduate from preschool and grow up. By your standards, we should just love everyone no matter how bad they do. Here is one for you.....Come on, Man!

CardAmbassador
09-06-2011, 01:31 AM

Oh sorry, I did not realize that this was Pop Warner football and everyone needs to be encouraged. Give me a break. This is a college football team and sorry, but these young men are getting free college and some to play sports. Its time to graduate from preschool and grow up. By your standards, we should just love everyone no matter how bad they do. Here is one for you.....Come on, Man!

It has nothing to do with encouraging people. You can say that Bevil is turn over prone or Prewitt is slower than Johnson or Johnson isn't as accurate as Prewitt, etc. But you don't have to wish evil on the players. I've see people say they hate Bevil or want to call Johnson a quitter. If that is your attitude than you're not a fan because those are things you can just keep to yourself.

If you couldn't look the person in the face and tell it to them like that then you probably shouldn't say it on a message board.

I've only seen you comment on here a few times and you've been far more negative than positive, I thought a fan would be more positive than negative?

LU4LIFE
09-06-2011, 01:43 AM

I don't know if you thought I was aiming my post at you, but I was really aiming it at people like the one that lu cards posted about in another thread. But if you feel that it is ok to make personal attacks on one of the LU players then you need to grow up(there is a difference in having a opinion and making personal attack on a player). How would you like it if I came to your work and made negative comments about you on every little mistake you made?

had to sit next to some turd last night who was commenting out loud everytime jj made a bad throw.i saw four or five people giving him death stares and felt like he was going to get his ass kicked.

05BigRed
09-06-2011, 02:17 AM
How much longer can this dead horse be beaten? Move on!

theTestament
09-06-2011, 02:58 AM
Ok listen, I in no way condone someone threatening a player or do I even like the fact that people have hatred in their hearts. The simple reality is this, if you do not think a player is good enough or is not performing up to what you think he should, then you should have the right, especially if you buy game tickets, to express you opinion though be it a negative one. Now that does not mean doing harm to somebody.

Mike
09-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Here's our contributor Fred Davis's answers to the 5 questions:

Let me begin by saying, it’s difficult to properly gauge anything that happened from Saturday’s game
because Texas College was a terrible football team, the weather was awful and it was the first game of
the season. But in the spirit of discussion, here are my retorts to Mike’s Five Questions….

Has the Quarterback Situation Been Settled?

For now it has… Bevil is still the guy. And why not? As Coach Woodard said Saturday night following the game, he didn’t do anything to lose the starting job. The stat line for all three quarterbacks was bad, and that had more to do with the weather and offensive gameplan than anything else. Sure, he didn’t look great throwing the ball, but when was the last time we graded a quarterback’s ability on how he looked in pouring rain and wind for three hours? How would Tom Brady look? Probably not that great. Not saying Bevil is Tom Brady – their hair is probably the main difference – but let’s be real, outside of overthrowing a few passes, we didn’t really see Bevil get a chance to uncork anything. Now, I will say, his decision-making bothers me. He threw into some questionable coverage, and I know JJ Hayes is a talented receiver, but when he’s blanketed by a DB, Bevil may want to look in another direction, because good defenses will make him pay.

Jeremy Johnson did not look good at all throwing the football Saturday night except for the bullet
he threw to Kye Hildreth, who fumbled at the two-yard line on what should’ve been a touchdown
reception. Outside of that pass, Johnson underthrew a lot of passes, and even looked bad throwing a
screen pass. Running the ball, Johnson looked great, throwing the ball, eh, no so much. I’m not going to knock the kid for it, maybe he was nervous, maybe the weather, either way, I expect he’ll be fine and look better throwing the ball, because he has a great arm.

Doug Prewitt didn’t look good in any facet Saturday night, and maybe that was because the game was a
done deal, but he couldn’t hold on to the ball, and he only threw the ball two times, completing one for four yards. Ugh. Nothing to really take away from Prewitt’s performance, he remains the third string guy for now. Prewitt fans shouldn’t take it as a slight. Sure, could he start somewhere else? Yeah. But he’s at Lamar. He’s got two guys in front of him. He walked on. He was playing wide receiver before moving back to quarterback last season. Football is a crazy sport. One week the position is loaded, next week, Bevil could get hurt – very real possibility – and Johnson could go down. They’re both mobile guys, and if we know one thing about mobile quarterbacks, they have a propensity to get hurt. Michael Vick anyone?

Bevil’s the guy until further notice.

Was moving Jacody Coleman to LB the right move?

Sure was. The guy is a monster, and every team needs a linebacker that brings the wood. Coleman does
that. I like Marcus Malbrough, who I thought brought good pressure Saturday, and Coleman did a great
job of applying pressure, not to mention he had some big hits as well. But, sigh, it was against Texas
College. While he’s great at LB, I’m real interested to see how he does against South Alabama, but so far, so good.

Comfortable with the running game?

I’m trending in that direction, but that’s because I didn’t see how bad Lamar’s ground game was last
year, but six touchdowns to start the season is never a bad thing, and I don’t care if that’s against the scout team. DePauldrick Garrett is a good running back. Octavious Logan is a solid reliever, and Mike Venson is the wildcard of the group because he might be the best athlete of the trio and should improve as the season wears on. I’m disappointed to hear Cody Hussey quit the team, because I felt he added another dimension as a bruiser coming out of the backfield both running the ball and catching passes. But life goes on, and now Caleb Harmon has suddenly seized that fourth spot and it’ll be interesting to see if he can prove his worth. He fumbled the ball against Texas College, fortunately it was recovered by Lamar, but hopefully that was a byproduct of a slippery football and not a sign of Tiki Barber-like hands. The line will improve, the passing game will improve, so I expect the added balance the running game provides to supplement what will be a dangerous offense once all the pieces are in place. So am I comfortable? Eh, not sitting in my recliner, watching a football game on a Sunday while my fantasy team is winning with five guys left to go and I’ve got a cold drink, BBQ on my plate, and I don’t work on Monday comfortable yet, but I’m encouraged.

Will the Sloppy Play Get Fixed?

Let’s hope So. Seriously, why wouldn’t it be fixed? I can’t imagine that Lamar will be forced to play in Monsoon conditions the rest of the season, not to mention this team is going to get better as the season rolls along, because that’s what good teams with good coaching staffs do, and Lamar is a good team with a good coaching staff. The quarterback situation will figure itself out, the offensive line will gel, players will get healthy – and a few straggles and injuries aside, there’s no reason to think this team won’t fix the sloppy play that riddled them Saturday night. Plus, the quality of team they’ll play moving forward will be exponentially better, starting with South Alabama on Saturday, and Woodard even said himself after the game that this team needs more reps to fix what ails them.

Is the team better off after Texas College than it was last year after McNeese?

I don’t see how it couldn’t be. Again, I missed last season because I wasn’t in SE Texas, but it doesn’t take Craig James to figure out that another year in the program with bigger, stronger, faster players and another year under the same coaching staff with offensive and defensive philosophies put in place will make a team better. This team has expectations, last year? It was a novelty, first year program, so there was as much of a “What is this all about” factor as it was whether or not the team would actually win. Plus, who doesn’t enjoy a good tailgate? This year, this team has a bona fide chip on its shoulder. They were picked to finish dead last in the conference by coaches and media. Translation: Nobody in the Conference outside of Beaumont thinks this team is any good. At all. Coach Woodard and his staff could not have asked for a better motivator for this season. It’s easy for the Coach to do his Knute Rockne and motivate the team before the season, but now? “Hey guys, the rest of the league thinks you suck.” What 18-22 year old male with an ego who enjoys smashing into other 18-22 year old males in a violent manner is going to be okay with being told he’s not very good?

None.

It’s only one game in, so there’s no reason to get too high or too low after stomping Texas College.
The real first game of the season is Saturday when the Cardinals travel to Mobile and play a team that
has never been beaten in 11 tries, South Alabama, yet escaped 20-10 against a Division II team while
committing four turnovers in the process. This a game the Cardinals can win. It’s too early to say they should win, but they can. We’ll have a much more definitive answer about Ray Woodard’s group after Saturday.

cardinal
09-07-2011, 02:47 AM
As I've said before, blind allegiance to a QB he brought with him calls his coaching ability into question. Furthermore, his choice for OC was horrible.

Bevil may have done great at the beginning of the season last year, but as defenses realized that all he could do was throw deep, they prepped for that. Look at the difference in his stats as the year progressed. Look at the difference in his McNeese stats as they changed up their defense against him.

But hey, let's give Woodward and Bevil blind loyalty. When the newness wears off of the program and people don't want to see poor quality, there will be you, me, and about 100 others in the stands. At least we won't need message board any more. We can just chat in the stands. There won't be a game worth watching.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I get so frustrated!! Anytime I question anything everyone jumps my butt essentially saying "how dare you"! You are 100% correct. I TOTALLY agree with you. You are awesome!! What is so difficult about looking at how they performed? Bevil,in essence, had one great game. Defenses figured out quickly that he can only throw deep. Granted, I love the deep ball but it is very easy to defend once you figure out the QB is a one trick pony. Why is everyone so adamant about sticking behind Bevil after they year he had? He was great for one game and much below average after that!!!! UGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!

CardinalClaw
09-07-2011, 02:52 AM
I will support Bevil if he is named the starting QB but he is not the QB that I want to see as the starter.

cardinal
09-07-2011, 03:29 AM

Dude, Bud, Guy, Man...what do you expect? You made a lot of comments I disagree with. I suppose, in your book, I should not be allowed to respond? Maybe I should say "you are right about everything, I totally agree", even when I don't?

I followed the cards all of last year. I am well aware of how well Bevil performed last year against McNeese, I am also aware of how poorly he performed after that. He is a one trick pony. Your comment about calling him a sissy is absurd. But, whatever...of course I'd call him a sissy if he were faking an injury and I would tell him to his face. I mean, what difference does that make anyway? Who cares? Have you ever played sports in your life? Coaches aren't always the nicest people in the world. Are athletes only supposed to be told lovey, touchy, feely things? Give me a break.

Wonderful about JJ. I am glad we signed him if he is any good. However, Prewitt was the starter. What has JJ done to change anything other than be "highly recruited"? Big damn deal. Prove it on the field. Prewitt was the starter and his performance ON THE FIELD EARNED HIM THE RIGHT TO CONTINUE AS THE STARTER unless he was just a total dud in the off season. Since he was a walk on I seriously doubt he came into the off season with any attitude problems.

Isn't that sweet that Woodard's life is D1 football! There are many fans that live and breath football. Unfortunately not everyone was born 6'8" and 300+ lbs. I guess that fact means he knows more about football than everyone else? Honestly, I could care less if he is the coach. Part of being a coach is having people question your decisions. If that is a problem then all I can say is wah, wah, wah. And, I would love to lecture him about why he is wrong. Actually, it isn't even a lecture it would simply be "look at their performance on the field". That is supposed to be the great thing about sports. It is supposed to be non-discriminatory because the performance on the field speaks for itself. It is usually pretty easy to figure out when someone is playing favorites.

Finally, if you think giving him a scholarship is what this is about you are sadly mistaken! Do you think someone would walk on because all they want is a scholarship? I don't know the kid but there is obviously a passion for football that most of us can't understand. I seriously doubt he was thinking "maybe I can earn a scholarship". Granted, it is a huge accomplishment that he should be extremely proud of and it is great that Woodard recognized it but my guess is this is a kid that loves football, period. Should that entitle him to the starting position? Hell no! Athletics are an overly brutal lesson in life. At the same time, I guess it teaches him another lesson about life...the best person is not always the one that gets the proverbial "promotion". A lot of times it isn't what you do but who you know.

cardinal
09-07-2011, 03:36 AM

Ok, let me step in here and say something. Just because you are a fan of Lamar does not mean you have to support the Coach. That is a ludicrous statement. I happen to be a huge fan of PNG and for the longest time I would pray that the school board would replace Burnett. Granted he was a great defensive coach, but his head coaching ability was never even close to par. He knew a lot about football, but one of his biggest flaws was not being able to evaluate his talent(or not listening to his position coaches opinions). Now from what I can tell it seems as if Woodard may have the same problem/s. Having a QB controversy is not a bad thing, yes, but only if the talent level of all Qb's involved are of the same caliber. Clearly this is not the case for Lamar and everyone here seems to agree on this. Guys come on, quit bashing another boarder for his opinions. Really, these boards are for information, opinions, and debate.

A little side note for you on talent evaluation: Brennan Doty, who Woodard refused to even talk with, is now the 3rd string Qb for Oregon Ducks. All projections have him actually at #2 because they are trying to utilize the athletic ability of their #2 by moving him to WR. The QB coach for the Ducks is on record saying that if Doty keeps progressing at the rate thus far, then he could very well be the starter next year. Great for Doty, but very sad for Lamar.

Ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto!! Why Doty wasn't recruited by Lamar is beyond me!!! Anyway, he wouldn't be playing anyway because he isn't from Navarro.

cardinal
09-07-2011, 03:40 AM
#5- i agree because the year of offseason and key team editions obviously make this team a better team than last years group.

#4- i guess we'll see because if its not itll be a long season. some teams are either diciplined and some arent and theres nothing you can do to change it. some are just snakebit. im hoping the weather and opening game mistakes are all it was.

#3- I am. i think if they wanted they couldve ran for as many yards as they wanted. plus the fire of the team had to be down a little once they all realized how inferior that school was.

#2- time will tell but having dorsey back for game action last night sure sured up that dline some since the practices. i was able to make a couple of the later practices and was concerned when the offense was gashing the ddefense up the middle. i love coleman at linebacker but time should tell whether it was the right choice or not.

#1- Heck no it hasnt but i tell you what some on here im reading are going overboard on their assesments. i think its the coaches wish to have jeremy johnson as the starter. none of us were at all the pracices, film sessions, weight training, etc but coach woodard and his staff has. they made a decision and we as fans should stick by it. heck doug prewitt has a better attitude about the situation than most of our fans. if he keeps busting butt they wont be able to keep him off that field but all the armchair talking going on messageboards isnt going to change a thing. get behind whoever is on the field cause theyre all cardinals that are playing for us.

The coaches want him because they probably promised it to him. How embarrassing to admit a walk on is better, right? Everyone else wants him because he came from West Virginia so he has to be great, right?

cardinal
09-07-2011, 03:44 AM

Wrong. If the job is all the sudden supposedly "open" why sign johnson and not doty? Sorry, but if doty wanted to come here and we turn him down, I hope he starts for Oregon and they come beat us here 90-0 with him throwing 10 touchdowns and running for 2 more.

cardinal
09-07-2011, 03:46 AM
..prewitt.

No man, I go with the coaches decision because I wouldn't want them telling me how to take care of a cardiac patient. They have forgot more than I know about the game of football. LOL

wah wah wah. would you like a little cheese with that whine? by the way, south alabama is still undefeated.

cardinal
09-07-2011, 03:49 AM
The coaches said before the Texas College game they were going to run run run. Throw in the bad weather and the fact this was going to be like an exhibition game then no QB was going to throw that much. Maybe Bevil and JJ played most of the first half to see who was going to backup Prewitt this Saturday. They didn't want to show USA anything, and I'm sure the USA coaches will have a hard time evaluating Lamar based on that game. Johnson is a freshman and really hasn't played a real game yet so the coaches are going to give him plenty of chances to succeed before giving up on him.

Ok, finally a reasonable argument. I hope you are correct. If so, I will gladly eat crow. Bevil was given a 14 interception and ???? fumble leash? Prewitt had 2 picks last year and gets demoted to third string? Hopefully, he gets the nod this week and I can quit my whining/bitching.

CardAmbassador
09-07-2011, 03:52 AM
First there are very few people adamant about sticking behind Bevil, it's about sticking behind the team. I think JJ is the #1, Prewitt is the #2 and Bevil is the #3. My stipulation on Bevil is that if he has gotten better on his decision making than he might be the best guy we have this year. I don't think that's the case but we have to But I'm going to give the team time, and you say it's easy to evaluate talent, so how many times have you see the guys play, like I said before the coaches have seen them everyday.

No one ever said you can't have an opinion, it's just one I don't disagree with. It's more of being annoyed at supposed fans that have much more negative to say about the entire team than anything positive. Are you even happy we have a team?

Yes I played sports most of my life. Basketball in particular, I didn't say coaches were nice, when did I say that?

You are pretty biased to think Prewitt is that much better than the other QB's. There is one thing I do know and that is that we have a QB battle for a reason. Did you follow the stats from the spring scrimmages and fall practices. I saw most of the spring practices in person and I saw the first fall practice in person, I've read every thing on every practice, every comment every article every opinion. I came out of the spring impressed the most by JJ, his passes aren't more accurate than Prewitt, but it's not much worse and he makes better decisions than Bevil that's why I thought he was the favorite to eventually take over. I wanted Prewitt to start the season off because we already know he isn't turn over prone and he has more experience than JJ.

CardAmbassador
09-07-2011, 03:54 AM

Wrong. If the job is all the sudden supposedly "open" why sign johnson and not doty? Sorry, but if doty wanted to come here and we turn him down, I hope he starts for Oregon and they come beat us here 90-0 with him throwing 10 touchdowns and running for 2 more.

Alright that's it, you have just shown your true colors, you don't care about Lamar at all. You're not a cardinal fan, might as well change your name to duck. It wont matter the first time Lamar has a really bad season you will just stop being a fan. WOW.

EDIT: and the Johnson stuff was already pretty much decided way before the Doty stuff happened.

cardinal
09-07-2011, 03:54 AM

You mean taking a big ten linebacker and putting him at defensive end may not have been the smartest move? Or taking Chavis and trying to make him a tight end may not be the best use of his skills? Or, making arguably your best defensive lineman a backup this year? Or your best starting qb now 3rd string? What about moving Ploch to linebacker..nah, that is really smart. Well, thank goodness I'm not a coach because I know nothing about football...whew.

cardinal
09-07-2011, 03:58 AM

I'm not saying people can't question the coaching staff, but you have to give them more time and some credit that they spend more time with these kids than any of us. People are talking about who he hired or why we didn't do A. Well Lamar like all FCS programs is limited by dollars.

I'll definitely question the coaching staff if recruiting this next year isn't greatly improved from last year. But we also have to realize this was one game, Woodard can't give everyone equal time or shot in one night. And I always give a coach more than a season and one game before I say we need to toss him.

Also I just don't see how we can question coach for passing up a walk on QB when we already had 5 on our roster. I think we have enough weaknesses in other places that it makes sense to address those concerns first before taking another QB.

You'll question the coaching staff about recruiting but not their coaching decisions? Now that is funny. So they have total control over who they sign? I mean, damn..why didn't they sign the top 50 players in the country...that has to be a coaching problem!!! lol

cardinal
09-07-2011, 04:04 AM
Ok listen, I in no way condone someone threatening a player or do I even like the fact that people have hatred in their hearts. The simple reality is this, if you do not think a player is good enough or is not performing up to what you think he should, then you should have the right, especially if you buy game tickets, to express you opinion though be it a negative one. Now that does not mean doing harm to somebody.

I absolutely agree. If the players don't want to hear it then don't play. As far other jobs, everybody has to put up with it. We either complain or praise almost every person about their job. Get a reality check. If you aren't performing well at your job, your boss will tell you or your customers/clients will tell your. I am so tired of all this polyanna b.s. it makes me want to puke.

TBonesLU
09-07-2011, 12:44 PM

I absolutely agree. If the players don't want to hear it then don't play. As far other jobs, everybody has to put up with it. We either complain or praise almost every person about their job. Get a reality check. If you aren't performing well at your job, your boss will tell you or your customers/clients will tell your. I am so tired of all this polyanna b.s. it makes me want to puke.

I think the point is "give it time". On the same note, judge the coaches/admins. Woodard has openly taken this responsibility and asked that we do not bash players. That's all I can take from this. The coaches are grown men who can take the flak that comes for their decisions about this team. The players are just there to turn the map the coaches give them into a reality.

I see both sides, but just out of being good fans, let's give these guys (players) a break.

TBonesLU
09-07-2011, 12:48 PM

By the way, I don't think you have to worry about Oregon playing us, much less coming here, anytime soon. You seem to support this guy a great deal. I understand that. However, if he said he would walk on while we already have 3 sound quarterbacks competing for this starting position, what would he do at Lamar? I respect Woodard for being honest to him and not just taking him for a roster spot. Let's face it, a roster spot on Oregon is a lot more appealing to a young man than the same on Lamar. However, why the hostility?

theTestament
09-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Alright that's it, you have just shown your true colors, you don't care about Lamar at all. You're not a cardinal fan, might as well change your name to duck. It wont matter the first time Lamar has a really bad season you will just stop being a fan. WOW.

EDIT: and the Johnson stuff was already pretty much decided way before the Doty stuff happened.

Not true at all. If I would have known that by losing every game my senior year of high hchool would have gotten my head coach fired, then I would have done it. Just so the players after me could have had a better opportunity. With that said, I do not in no way wish they would fire Woodard. I am just a passionate fan who wants Lamar to be better!

CardAmbassador
09-07-2011, 01:20 PM

Not true at all. If I would have known that by losing every game my senior year of high hchool would have gotten my head coach fired, then I would have done it. Just so the players after me could have had a better opportunity. With that said, I do not in no way wish they would fire Woodard. I am just a passionate fan who wants Lamar to be better!

No fan roots for their team to lose. None. So if you're condoning this, then I don't really have anything more to say.

And what in the first part of my post has anything to do with truth?? It's about respect for your team. I can't believe anyone would say that.

TBonesLU
09-07-2011, 01:40 PM

There seems to be some confusion here. He was talking to "cardinal".

CardAmbassador
09-07-2011, 01:53 PM
You'll question the coaching staff about recruiting but not their coaching decisions? Now that is funny. So they have total control over who they sign? I mean, damn..why didn't they sign the top 50 players in the country...that has to be a coaching problem!!! lol

No, I will question them about it if it isn't greatly improved because there has been "time" and "circumstance" for the coaches to improve in this area.

The reason I will not bash the coaches for the job they're doing right now is because of "time" and "circumstance." We don't know anything more about this team after this first game because the competition and the weather were awful. I'm amazed that after a 58-0 win the only thing people seem do do now is question coach about a recruiting incident that happened probably 8 or so months ago. And accuse him of playing favorites to "Navarro" player Andre Bevil. Last time I checked all our players attend Lamar University. Don't forget that Daniel Campbell and J.J. Hayes are both "Navarro" guys too, but really they're Lamar Cardinals, or at least that is what their uniforms said last weekend.

And if you don't believe that JJ had done anything of merit read this from the spring game:

Johnson got his white team into the end zone early in the second quarter to make the score 14-7. The Silsbee product, who finished 9-of-10 for 159 yards, threw the first of two scoring strikes to Josh Powdrill from eight yards out to cap a six-play, 81-yard drive.

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/030311aaa.html

This was one of the reasons I came away impressed with JJ.

bigred360
09-07-2011, 02:07 PM
One thing about taking a walk-on is the kid needs to be willing to move positions. I have a strong feeling Doty wasn't willing. Why else would Coach Woodard deny him a shot at making the team? I guess Coach Woodard doesn't like PN-G players.:blink:

bigred360
09-07-2011, 02:24 PM

You mean taking a big ten linebacker and putting him at defensive end may not have been the smartest move? Or taking Chavis and trying to make him a tight end may not be the best use of his skills? Or, making arguably your best defensive lineman a backup this year? Or your best starting qb now 3rd string? What about moving Ploch to linebacker..nah, that is really smart. Well, thank goodness I'm not a coach because I know nothing about football...whew.

I guess you didn't follow Billy Chavis in HS as he played DE, LB, QB and RB. So, I think he has the ability to play TE.

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/chavis_billy00.html

bigred360
09-07-2011, 02:30 PM
..prewitt.

wah wah wah. would you like a little cheese with that whine? by the way, south alabama is still undefeated.

The only person I see crying on this site is you. At least theTestament makes some sense and not just crying about Doty. By the way, I know South Alabama is still undefeated.

Hopefully, that will change this weekend.

bigred360
09-07-2011, 02:45 PM

Oh, and the defensive lineman last season played at 250 lbs and his replacement is 295 lbs. I would think a knowledgable fan would understand as the team gets better some players will lose their starting position. LOL

TBonesLU
09-07-2011, 02:48 PM

Glad we can agree...

theTestament
09-07-2011, 05:42 PM
One thing about taking a walk-on is the kid needs to be willing to move positions. I have a strong feeling Doty wasn't willing. Why else would Coach Woodard deny him a shot at making the team? I guess Coach Woodard doesn't like PN-G players.:blink:

LOL!!! Dude you are cracking me up. Two words here.....Talent Evaluation.

TBonesLU
09-07-2011, 05:51 PM

With those two words you just sprung on us (assuming you think no one has ever thought of that), do you not think that maybe he thought JJ was a better pick? If the need to evaluate talent was there, I'm sure he did his due diligence to be sure about his new QB. Do you think he just sat Doty down in his office and said, "No, we cannot do anything with your abilities here."? I'm more than certain that is not what happened.

theTestament
09-07-2011, 06:01 PM
No fan roots for their team to lose. None. So if you're condoning this, then I don't really have anything more to say.

And what in the first part of my post has anything to do with truth?? It's about respect for your team. I can't believe anyone would say that.

Obviously you have missed the point in my statement. If we would have lost, then the future teams would have had better coaching.

bigred360
09-07-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm not a college coach and I highly doubt you are either but Doty had zero offers. 0, Zero, none, how else can I tell you. There are several coaching staffs besides Lamar that didn't offer Doty a scholarship.

Talent evalution... I have two words for you. Jeremy Johnson and there are a lot more than me that have Johnson evaluated ahead of Doty. Sorry for all you PN-G fans and I hope there isn't something racial here as all the players in quesiton are white. They were beat out or offerred a scholarship by a black player ahead of a white player.

theTestament
09-07-2011, 06:06 PM

With those two words you just sprung on us (assuming you think no one has ever thought of that), do you not think that maybe he thought JJ was a better pick? If the need to evaluate talent was there, I'm sure he did his due diligence to be sure about his new QB. Do you think he just sat Doty down in his office and said, "No, we cannot do anything with your abilities here."? I'm more than certain that is not what happened.

That is my point. His or his staff's talent evaluation is questionable to say the least. If it was not, then we would not be talking about this subject. Leave Doty out of the equation and you still have a QB debate. Everyone seems to think one is better than the other and more so of the two who are not starting.

CardAmbassador
09-07-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm not sure about racial motivations but there are several on here that are being more loyal to their hometown than the team. That's for sure.

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/allaccess/

This is the allaccess site, you can go back and watch Jeremy Johnson against TC. The guy has some serious athleticism! 43:00 minute mark is where Johnson first comes in. Also again look at Johnson's stats in the spring game and in the fall scrimmages, he was not bad, he didn't turn over the ball much either.

He throws a bullet to Kye at the 50:00 minute mark, the guy is good.

theTestament
09-07-2011, 06:11 PM
I'm not a college coach and I highly doubt you are either but Doty had zero offers. 0, Zero, none, how else can I tell you. There are several coaching staffs besides Lamar that didn't offer Doty a scholarship.

Talent evalution... I have two words for you. Jeremy Johnson and there are a lot more than me that have Johnson evaluated ahead of Doty. Sorry for all you PN-G fans and I hope there isn't something racial here as all the players in quesiton are white. They were beat out or offerred a scholarship by a black player ahead of a white player.

Come on, MAN!!! RACE??? Give me a freaking break! Dude I am the least racist person you could ever meet. My favorite college QB was super man himself.....Vince Young. I still think he could make it in the pros if he was in the right situation. I thought we were having an educated debate over Lamar football, so please leave the ignorance at home.

TBonesLU
09-07-2011, 06:14 PM

That is my point. His or his staff's talent evaluation is questionable to say the least. If it was not, then we would not be talking about this subject. Leave Doty out of the equation and you still have a QB debate. Everyone seems to think one is better than the other and more so of the two who are not starting.

Having 3 quarterbacks fighting for the starting position is not a bad thing, buddy. They could all stand to be great. What have they done besides go 5-6 last year (which is outstanding) to make you think they have questionable talent evaluation? Give it two or three games, and if they are winning, you may want to re-evaluate your closed-minded homer attitude. Even though Bevil is from Navarro, keep in mind he went to WO-S. He is local also.

You have no proof that his staff's talent evaluation is questionable. We are talking about this currently because you and "cardinal" seem to think that shutting out the first opponent of the season by 58 points is a horrible start to a season. NO ONE else is talking bad about Lamar's progress right now on here. Wait until they do something (AT LEAST ONE THING) wrong before you turn on your so-called alma mater.

CardAmbassador
09-07-2011, 06:16 PM

Having 3 quarterbacks fighting for the starting position is not a bad thing, buddy. They could all stand to be great. What have they done besides go 5-6 last year (which is outstanding) to make you think they have questionable talent evaluation? Give it two or three games, and if they are winning, you may want to re-evaluate your closed-minded homer attitude. Even though Bevil is from Navarro, keep in mind he went to WO-S. He is local also.

You have no proof that his staff's talent evaluation is questionable. We are talking about this currently because you and "cardinal" seem to think that shutting out the first opponent of the season by 58 points is a horrible start to a season. NO ONE else is talking bad about Lamar's progress right now on here. Wait until they do something (AT LEAST ONE THING) wrong before you turn on your so-called alma mater.

Amen, if we lose this weekend I would expect debate like this. But lets see what they do against South Alabama first.

TBonesLU
09-07-2011, 06:16 PM

Amen, if we lose this weekend I would expect debate like this. But lets see what they do against South Alabama first.

CA, I donated! Give me my red banner!!!!!!!!!!!!

CardAmbassador
09-07-2011, 06:19 PM

I don't control that, Mike does, I would text him and tell him but I have no phone for the next few days.

TBonesLU
09-07-2011, 06:21 PM

I don't control that, Mike does, I would text him and tell him but I have no phone for the next few days.

Ha ha, I PM'ed him. I'd do it regardless. No problem...

theTestament
09-07-2011, 06:22 PM
I will text him for you!

TBonesLU
09-07-2011, 06:23 PM

I still won't pin my faith in Woodard and Co. on this weekend's game. I know that isn't what you meant either, but I am glad Woodard is in charge. He seems to like Beaumont and LU. If this game is close, I'll be content (not happy).

bigred360
09-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Man, that is great your not a racial person as I only asked a question after at least 4 players have been question about starting who are black.

Funny to hear your all-time favorite QB is Vince Young. He played at UT, right?

Ignorance if a something I was just thinking about you. If you think Johnson didn't deserve a scholarship ahead of Doty there is somthing stupid in that statement.

theTestament
09-07-2011, 06:33 PM

Ha ha, I PM'ed him. I'd do it regardless. No problem...

Hey he just sent me a reply and said he would do it this evening because he is in meetings all day today.

TBonesLU
09-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Here's a question...why do people so strongly believe that getting a local guy is the best thing? Think about this for a second. If you have two guys being recruited for the same position who are about the same talent-wise, I can see the reason in getting the local guy (cost in recruiting considerably less, etc.). However, let's say we have a 2-star from Orange and a 3-star from Panama City, FL. They would both be good additions to Lamar, but the FL recruit is clearly better. Who do you take?

Before you tell me that everyone would obviously choose the FL recruit, slow down and really think about it. How many times have we heard about people wanting LU to recruit locals? I would hope everyone would believe that the BETTER PLAYER is who we want on the team, but I just do not know sometimes.

Also, recruits from other places only helps LU's exposure. Quite honestly, if some of the locals want to play here, they can drive over to Lamar and talk to Woodard without him ever calling them. People across the country can't do that. Locals know Lamar. Don't we want to get the publicity of Lamar out there past the Golden Triangle?

EDIT: This is directed at NO ONE. I'm just curious.

theTestament
09-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Man, that is great your not a racial person as I only asked a question after at least 4 players have been question about starting who are black.

Dude, I have a half black/half white niece. Grow up.

He did play for UT and maybe you forgot, but Lamar did not have a team for 20 years. And yes, I am a fan of UT. As a matter of fact, I am a member of orangebloods.com as a few who frequent this website are. What is your point?

TBonesLU
09-07-2011, 06:43 PM
This is getting ridiculous. Can we talk about the game/team/university? Everyone quit whipping out your peens.

CardAmbassador
09-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Here's a question...why do people so strongly believe that getting a local guy is the best thing? Think about this for a second. If you have two guys being recruited for the same position who are about the same talent-wise, I can see the reason in getting the local guy (cost in recruiting considerably less, etc.). However, let's say we have a 2-star from Orange and a 3-star from Panama City, FL. They would both be good additions to Lamar, but the FL recruit is clearly better. Who do you take?

Before you tell me that everyone would obviously choose the FL recruit, slow down and really think about it. How many times have we heard about people wanting LU to recruit locals? I would hope everyone would believe that the BETTER PLAYER is who we want on the team, but I just do not know sometimes.

Also, recruits from other places only helps LU's exposure. Quite honestly, if some of the locals want to play here, they can drive over to Lamar and talk to Woodard without him ever calling them. People across the country can't do that. Locals know Lamar. Don't we want to get the publicity of Lamar out there past the Golden Triangle?

I wouldn't use a two star or three star rating to say someone is clearly better but I know what you were getting at.

Here is my question say you have a 3 star player from Beaumont and a 3 star player from mid-county that play the same position, which do you take? Both or just one?

It was a trick question, neither because if you take both, one of them will not start, and someone will get their feelings hurt, likewise if you only recruit one of them.

This is very tongue and cheek but my point is that if this is the future of Lamar football (appeasing every local HS fan base) then being a fan is going to get really old. Because all I care about is LAMAR FOOTBALL, and as fans that's got to be your number one concern. If it's not, your probably not really a fan, you can go cheer for Oregon and call yourself duck.

Lamar University athletics are supported by student fees above all other funding sources, no one subset of HS fans is going to end LU football. Last time I checked Lamar had record enrollments for several years straight and is staring another record campus enrollment in the face (just a few more days!!)

bigred360
09-07-2011, 06:47 PM

He did play for UT and maybe you forgot, but Lamar did not have a team for 20 years. And yes, I am a fan of UT. As a matter of fact, I am a member of orangebloods.com as a few who frequent this website are. What is your point?

Dude, that is a stupid comment. Ask any black man if he thinks you having a half black/half white niece makes you not racial they'll laugh in your face.

Can we get back to the five key questions after Texas College.

theTestament
09-07-2011, 06:48 PM

Here let me educate you on a little on recruiting. Its called the three tier system.
The words of Craig Stump....
"What happens a lot of times with the smaller schools is they wait until after (Signing Day) to see who has fallen through that they didn't think they'd have a chance to recruit," said West Brook coach Craig Stump. "All of those schools just now start recruiting because there's no sense in trying to recruit somebody who is being talked to by a bigger school or even thinks that he's going to go to a bigger school. So you wait and then you see who is available."

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/Top-Unsigned-Southeast-Texas-Senior-Football-992880.php#ixzz1XIWSGUlv

TBonesLU
09-07-2011, 06:51 PM

I wouldn't use a two star or three star rating to say someone is clearly better but I know what you were getting at.

Here is my question say you have a 3 star player from Beaumont and a 3 star player from mid-county that play the same position, which do you take? Both or just one?

It was a trick question, neither because if you take both, one of them will not start, and someone will get their feelings hurt, likewise if you only recruit one of them.

This is very tongue and cheek but my point is that if this is the future of Lamar football (appeasing every local HS fan base) then being a fan is going to get really old. Because all I care about is LAMAR FOOTBALL, and as fans that's got to be your number one concern. If it's not, your probably not really a fan, you can go cheer for Oregon and call yourself duck.

Lamar University athletics are supported by student fees above all other funding sources, no one subset of HS fans is going to end LU football. Last time I checked Lamar had record enrollments for several years straight and is staring another record campus enrollment in the face (just a few more days!!)

Thank you for two reasons:

1)Getting back on track.
2)Saying what is true.

I understand that because I really don't care at all about Bridge City football, my argument may be a little different than some others, but people have to decide. Be a high school fan or a college fan. When the decision is made, show it. I don't define Lamar's recruiting capacity by how many local players are on the team. Honestly, I'm more excited to see a Steven Murray-Sesay or an Anthony Oden from out of state. Lamar can only grow as big as we let it.

I believe you are right about two recruits from this area with the same talent...take neither. Take the 5-star recruit from New York. ;)

theTestament
09-07-2011, 06:51 PM

Dude, that is a stupid comment. Ask any black man if he thinks you having a half black/half white niece makes you not racial they'll laugh in your face.

Can we get back to the five key questions after Texas College.

Are you black?

TBonesLU
09-07-2011, 06:52 PM

Here let me educate you on a little on recruiting. Its called the three tier system.
"What happens a lot of times with the smaller schools is they wait until after (Signing Day) to see who has fallen through that they didn't think they'd have a chance to recruit," said West Brook coach Craig Stump. "All of those schools just now start recruiting because there's no sense in trying to recruit somebody who is being talked to by a bigger school or even thinks that he's going to go to a bigger school. So you wait and then you see who is available."

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/Top-Unsigned-Southeast-Texas-Senior-Football-992880.php#ixzz1XIWSGUlv

Here we go with the measuring again...I think you are up to 2" now. Seriously, man, be a fan. Let it go.

theTestament
09-07-2011, 06:55 PM

1)Getting back on track.
2)Saying what is true.

I understand that because I really don't care at all about Bridge City football, my argument may be a little different than some others, but people have to decide. Be a high school fan or a college fan. When the decision is made, show it. I don't define Lamar's recruiting capacity by how many local players are on the team. Honestly, I'm more excited to see a Steven Murray-Sesay or an Anthony Oden from out of state. Lamar can only grow as big as we let it.

I believe you are right about two recruits from this area with the same talent...take neither. Take the 5-star recruit from New York. ;)

Nobody is saying we should not expand the recruiting, but if the local talent is better than what you have, then its a no brainer. I think you guys have waaaayyyy bigger dreams of being some juggernaut in D1-a ball. Its not going to happen. Lets just be realistic.

bigred360
09-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Well, I'm not 100% white. ;) Please, we are suppost to be Lamar fan's can we get back to talking about Lamar?

CardAmbassador
09-07-2011, 06:58 PM

How do you know the context of Stump's words?

He might have been referring to DII programs when he was saying "small schools" I know alot of locals think of Lamar in really small terms but we're a DI school with close to 15k enrollment, we're not that small. Look at Southland conference recruiting. ALl of the SLC schools announce large signing classes on signing day, they don't wait until after signing day.

So I think you're thinking too small here because Lamar is not small and we don't wait until after signing day to get kids.

Here is another question, and don't take this the wrong way, I'm going to try to ask this in the most sincere way possible.

You have been a member here for quite some time, how come it has taken you this long to even start posting about Lamar football?

TBonesLU
09-07-2011, 06:59 PM

1)Getting back on track.
2)Saying what is true.

Nobody is saying we should not expand the recruiting, but if the local talent is better than what you have, then its a no brainer. I think you guys have waaaayyyy bigger dreams of being some juggernaut in D1-a ball. Its not going to happen. Lets just be realistic.

It's not about having dreams. I am being realistic. I said 2 and 3-star recruits. I was joking about the 5-star.

Seriously though, let's assume we're in the WAC in 5 years. We have a 4-star recruit in Oklahoma ready to pack his bags and move to Beaumont. On the other hand, we have an outstanding 3-star recruit from Beaumont who could one day be as good as the guy from Oklahoma or better. Who would you recruit?

bigred360
09-07-2011, 07:00 PM

As another member of this site stated, you can only be a TRUE fan of one school! That is my point.

theTestament
09-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Mainly because last year I was on TexasSportsInsider most of the time.

CardAmbassador
09-07-2011, 07:02 PM

This confirms what I was saying, you're thinking too small we're not thinking too big.

First, no one has ever insinuated that LU would be a FBS Juggernaut, that is silly, please show me where any LU fan has said that. But Lamar could find it's self in FBS in a few year, if you find that impossible or think it's stupid you really need to go talk to Dr. Simmons about his plans for Lamar and tell him he is dreaming too big.

Dr. Simmons knows LU, he knows what is possible and he doesn't think small. I implore you to go to his office sometime and have chat about the future of Lamar, he welcomes anyone into his office and I'm being serious about this, I really think you should have a talk with him. You will learn alot about Lamar.

theTestament
09-07-2011, 07:04 PM
As another member of this site stated, you can only be a TRUE fan of one school! That is my point.

Really??? Do some research on that statement before you reply anymore. (pause) Ok, now go research it for me.

TBonesLU
09-07-2011, 07:07 PM
I realize you feel as though a bunch of people are ganging up on you right now. We (at least I) don't mean to do so. However, you have mentioned some negative things about Lamar's football team that are being addressed. I don't think things are even a fifth as bad as you are making them out to be.

Jeremy Johnson was the 9th ranked dual-threat quarterback in the nation when he was recruited by WVU. I think we have the quarterback position covered.

I understand that Doty was good. There are tons of good quarterbacks across the country. We can't have them all. ;)

theTestament
09-07-2011, 07:14 PM
I realize you feel as though a bunch of people are ganging up on you right now. We (at least I) don't mean to do so. However, you have mentioned some negative things about Lamar's football team that are being addressed. I don't think things are even a fifth as bad as you are making them out to be.

Jeremy Johnson was the 9th ranked dual-threat quarterback in the nation when he was recruited by WVU. I think we have the quarterback position covered.

I understand that Doty was good. There are tons of good quarterbacks across the country. We can't have them all. ;)

Competitive banter is great. I actually enjoy it. Just because you make mention of negative things about Lamar does not mean that I am not a fan. I seriously hope they are great. Also, I understand the Doty situation and am inclined to let it go, but with reserve to how things play out with the situation we now have(talent evaluation). Doty is just a point to be made and in the past. Things may not be as bad as I/we think, but only time will tell, and by the way, I hope i am wrong.

bigred360
09-07-2011, 07:17 PM

Really??? Do some research on that statement before you reply anymore. (pause) Ok, now go research it for me.

No need for research as I like the Longhorns too but it's not even in the same paragraph as Lamar.B)

CardinalClaw
09-07-2011, 07:19 PM
The Testament
Competitive banter is great. I actually enjoy it. Just because you make mention of negative things about Lamar does not mean that I am not a fan. I seriously hope they are great. Also, I understand the Doty situation and am inclined to let it go, but with reserve to how things play out with the situation we now have(talent evaluation). Doty is just a point to be made and in the past. Things may not be as bad as I/we think, but only time will tell, and by the way, I hope i am wrong.

What is so bad? We are only a second year program.

theTestament
09-07-2011, 07:28 PM

No need for research as I like the Longhorns too but it's not even in the same paragraph as Lamar.B)

Keep researching.

jdcurran235
09-07-2011, 07:32 PM
I am a fan of Navy as I went to the USNA. But it does not even hold a candle to LU as I graduated from LU. You can easily be a fan of two institutions.

bigred360
09-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Keep talking about players not on the Lamar roster! LOL

Edit: you can be a fan of two institutions but who are you going to support finacially?

AggiesAreWe
09-07-2011, 07:43 PM
I think one can be loyal to two universities.

I support Texas A&M and Lamar. I used to be a season ticket holder to A&M football(had them for 10 years, gave them up 3 years ago, could no longer afford them for the times I was going). Now we are season ticket holders for Lamar football (been season ticket holders in basketball for the last 13 years)

My wife and I both attended both universities (wife graduated from Lamar, grad school at TAMU). My wife was head twirler for Lamar the next to last year that Lamar had football. Our oldest son currently attends LU.

We have ties to both schools, therefore we show support for both schools. I personally think one can be a fan of two universities.

BTW, I support Texas A&M and Lamar not based on any of their sports teams, but on what the universities stand for.

CardAmbassador
09-07-2011, 07:45 PM
My stance is that yes you can follow or even say you're a "fan" of multiple schools but when it gets down to the really deep stuff you can only be a true fan of one school. Just my opinion.

For example, I go to TAMU for grad school (only taking three classes on tues, thurs) I'm going to root for the Aggies to win on Saturday's.

But when 2014 rolls around there is no question about what color I'll be wearing in the stands, it will be the Cardinal Red & White, when people ask me who I root for I tell them the Lamar Cardinals and if they want to prod a bit further I might tell them that I root for the ags because I went there for grad school. You're not going to see me on TexAgs.com because following one message board is enough work.

You're not going to see me with a TAMU sticker on my car or an Aggie shirt on outside of College Station.

When I leave here and I'm in the work force, I'm going to be all about Lamar, of course I'll tell people I went to TAMU too, but it's just not the same. I'll make sure my company sends recruiters down to LU to hire Lamar grads. 2 years here vs. 5 years at LU, personal friends with the Dean and president, personal friends with the bus driver, lol. Served as president of several organizations at LU, served myself snacks in the cafeteria at TAMU.

When I'm writing my alumni donation checks it's going to have LU at the bottom, when I die and bequeath my assets to a school it will be the LU foundation not the A&M foundation.

In that sense, yes you can only be a TRUE fan of one school. (unless you're filthy rich like Walter Umphrey who's wife went to Lamar) :laugh: :laugh:

AggiesAreWe
09-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Well, I am not filthy rich, but I send checks to both schools. Member of 12th Man Foundation and Cardinal Club.

lcm2007ms
09-07-2011, 08:12 PM
I think one can be loyal to two universities.

I support Texas A&M and Lamar. I used to be a season ticket holder to A&M football(had them for 10 years, gave them up 3 years ago, could no longer afford them for the times I was going). Now we are season ticket holders for Lamar football (been season ticket holders in basketball for the last 13 years)

My wife and I both attended both universities (wife graduated from Lamar, grad school at TAMU). My wife was head twirler for Lamar the next to last year that Lamar had football. Our oldest son currently attends LU.

We have ties to both schools, therefore we show support for both schools. I personally think one can be a fan of two universities.

BTW, I support Texas A&M and Lamar not based on any of their sports teams, but on what the universities stand for.

I'm curious what color you'll be wearing when they play. ;)

AggiesAreWe
09-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Well, first of all, not too sure we will be going to this game(because of my job of broadcasting high school sports, I may have a conflict). Second, for some reason I am sensing that this game will not even take place. I really have no facts to base my feeling on, but just think one of the two schools (most likely A&M) will back out of this agreement.

But, to answer your question, I'll wear both. I'll wear an Aggie T-shirt with LU cap. Wife would probably wear the opposite.:)

TBonesLU
09-07-2011, 08:33 PM
CA, I replied.

BigRed98
09-08-2011, 11:49 AM

1)Getting back on track.
2)Saying what is true.

It's not about having dreams. I am being realistic. I said 2 and 3-star recruits. I was joking about the 5-star.

Seriously though, let's assume we're in the WAC in 5 years. We have a 4-star recruit in Oklahoma ready to pack his bags and move to Beaumont. On the other hand, we have an outstanding 3-star recruit from Beaumont who could one day be as good as the guy from Oklahoma or better. Who would you recruit?

The 4 Star from OK. It opens up recruiting into OK, and that local 3 Star also may never be as good as the 4 star. It's a chance you take, but you know what the 4 star can do now.

Hookem14
09-08-2011, 01:19 PM
For someone to say you can only be a fan of one school might be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. And my money goes to more than one school. I have season tickets to both Lamar and Texas just like several of the contributors on the board.

CardAmbassador
09-08-2011, 01:22 PM
For someone to say you can only be a fan of one school might be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. And my money goes to more than one school.

With a name like that I really hope you don't attend lamar. If you have some tie to the university OK. If your a t shirt fan going to Lu. Then I have no respect.

theTestament
09-08-2011, 01:31 PM
For someone to say you can only be a fan of one school might be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. And my money goes to more than one school. I have season tickets to both Lamar and Texas just like several of the contributors on the board.

What i do not understand is why CA seems to think you can not be a fan of UT and Lamar. Lamar just started playing football again. What part of 20 years without it do you not get? Plus one is FBS and the other is FCS.

CardAmbassador
09-08-2011, 01:39 PM

What i do not understand is why CA seems to think you can not be a fan of UT and Lamar. Lamar just started playing football again. What part of 20 years without it do you not get? Plus one is FBS and the other is FCS.

I'm sorry that LU didn't have a football team while you were here I really am. Lamar does have a football team now, and if you can't stop being a fan of the school you didn't even attend to support your own school then I think you should be ashamed of yourself. It's my opinion and it isn't going to change. I don't think you can be a true fan of more than one school. UT and A&M have Billions of dollars they have plenty of wealthy alums. Go to Lamar and ask Dr. Simmons what they need, he puts on a good front but LU needs money BADLY! Everytime you buy the LHN, a A&M T-Shirt or Tech hat you're financially supporting those schools.

Also think about how it makes the athletes on LU's campus feel. I'm sure our football players feel really great when they see their own student body can't even support them. Please go to UT or A&M and tell me how many undergrads you see wearing something from another school. ZERO. Call yourself a LU fan, fine, but If I saw you in public wearing a UT shirt when you attended Lamar, I'm not going to know it and neither is that LU athlete. Our support has grown, but it is still dismal when we have people who can't just be proud of their own school and not a school they never even attended. The attitude will change but it's going to take time.

Hookem14
09-08-2011, 01:48 PM
WOW !!! You have no idea do you.

CardAmbassador
09-08-2011, 01:50 PM
WOW !!! You have no idea do you.

So what is your story?? Please let me hear it I'm just assuming your a student at Lamar, I'm honestly praying you are not though.

Hookem14
09-08-2011, 02:07 PM
I attended The University of Texas for a 1 ½ then was not able to continue for financial reasons. I then finished my education at Lamar. As a fan of the Longhorns I have had season tickets now for many years. Now that Lamar has a football program I have purchased season tickets for them as well and will try to attend games at both schools when I can. There are probably lots of stories like mine that you have no idea about. You see, you can be a fan of more than one school and support them in any way you can.

CardAmbassador
09-08-2011, 02:18 PM
I attended The University of Texas for a 1 ½ then was not able to continue for financial reasons. I then finished my education at Lamar. As a fan of the Longhorns I have had season tickets now for many years. Now that Lamar has a football program I have purchased season tickets for them as well and will try to attend games at both schools when I can. There are probably lots of stories like mine that you have no idea about. You see, you can be a fan of more than one school and support them in any way you can.

When you came back to LU did you proudly wear your UT shirt around?

You're degree says LU on it. I understand you may still pull for the Longhorns thats fine. But that doesn't make it right for you to go around prominently representing UT in SETX when we're (Lamar) the largest alumni base in the area yet for some odd reason when you drive around the area you don't get that impression. It makes no sense to have season tickets at a school you don't live near or did you graduate from.

I have no problem giving you a hard time on this because what you do makes it so much harder for LU to gain any tracktion with current students and our community. We practically give tickets away to students and you can't get them to come to LU games because some of our alums don't make LU relevent, there are far too many stories that are like yours except the person never even set foot on the campus of UT and earned their degree at Lamar.

People support what is popular, it's a human trait, if just the Alumni in this area fully supported Lamar 100% we wouldn't be worrying about filling a 16k stadium we would be filling a 40k stadium.

It's pretty clear which portion of the years it took to get your degree you're more willing to claim and be proud of. Why would you make the name Hookem14 on a LAMAR fan site?

UT doesn't need your help, Lamar does!

Hookem14
09-08-2011, 02:25 PM
IDIOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

CardAmbassador
09-08-2011, 02:30 PM
IDIOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please just answer one question, if you're a Lamar Alum why do you make hookem14 your screen name on a Lamar fan site?

BTW, I may be questioning you very harshly but I haven't resorted to name calling or insults.

Hookem14
09-08-2011, 02:38 PM
If a screen name is really what you are concerned with, then you have some serious issues. It’s almost as if I am talking with an Aggie.

jdcurran235
09-08-2011, 02:40 PM

Edit: you can be a fan of two institutions but who are you going to support finacially?

Fan of Navy and Lamar, but I support LU financially

coachacola
09-08-2011, 02:41 PM
If a screen name is really what you are concerned with, then you have some serious issues. It’s almost as if I am talking with an Aggie.

Well he is attending Texas A&M this fall. :laugh:

theTestament
09-08-2011, 02:43 PM

Well he is attending Texas A&M this fall. :laugh:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

CardAmbassador
09-08-2011, 02:43 PM

I'm concerned that you probably support a school you didn't graduate from more than the one you have a degree from. That's a very real concern and if you don't understand it I don't know what to say.

But good job on dodging the question.

And actually I'm in grad school at A&M but please don't make this a stupid aggie vs. longhorn thread. This is a Lamar fan forum. Besides, I'm not an Aggie I'm a Lamar Cardinal. I hope one day you figure out what that means and you can learn how to be proud of Lamar without hiding behind another school.

CardAmbassador
09-08-2011, 02:45 PM

True you are, but this is where I'm questioning him.

...I support LU financially

One thing to root for UT and LU, another thing to be more proud of the school you attended your freshman year than the school you graduate from. I know where you stand jdcurran.

theTestament
09-08-2011, 02:50 PM

One thing to root for UT and LU, another thing to be more proud of the school you attended your freshman year than the school you graduate from. I know where you stand jdcurran.

He said he is a season ticket holder for both schools. How is that not finacially supporting both schools. BTW you support the Gaggies finacially because i gaurantee you a portion of your fees go to the Gaggies football program.

Mike
09-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Ive read enough of this petty stuff.

CardAmbassador
09-08-2011, 02:57 PM

He said he is a season ticket holder for both schools. How is that not finacially supporting both schools. BTW you support the Gaggies finacially because i gaurantee you a portion of your fees go to the Gaggies football program.

I'm sorry I'm attempting to further my education? What do you want me to say. It's not like I'm going to be supporting it after I leave and I would have good reason to since I will actually hold a degree from Texas A&M. But you don't even hold a degree from UT yet you want to give them more money. The Texas Legislature sucks, Lamar gets the short end of the stick, UT and A&M are still flush with cash after these budget cuts.

I feel very strongly about supporting Lamar completely, unconditionally and singularly because of these reasons and many more. Show the kids that go to LU that there it's cool to support Lamar, if you don't the football effect might ware off in a few years and we will just be back at square one. I pray this never happens, and I don't think it will. People like the end zone angels are setting a new tone on campus.