PDA

View Full Version : Coach Joey Jones, South Alabama wary of improved Lamar team

coachacola
09-06-2011, 03:11 PM
"I think our kids realize that (Lamar will) be a much improved football team," Jones said at his weekly press conference Monday. "Obviously, from year one to year two, we became a much better football team. Likewise with them, from year one to year two, they became a better football team.

"I also think they've had our game circled. I think they maybe realize that first game may have been a not-as-tough football game, so when you have that, you kind of look to that second ballgame. I think they probably had our game circled, and our kids realize that as well."

Link: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/09/coach_joey_jones_south_alabama.html

CardAmbassador
09-06-2011, 03:51 PM
He's right to be concerned, I think he realizes more than his fans do that from year one to two of any new program you're going to dramatically improve as a football team. Just the depth we have on our roster is enough to call this team dramatically improved.

oldbamadude
09-06-2011, 03:59 PM
He sounds just like his old coach.

coachacola
09-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Coaches always talk up their opponents so I'm not surprised by what Coach Jones said. One factor that hasn't been mentioned much is that since South Alabama is transitioning to FBS they have 20+ more guys on their roster than Lamar. We'll see how that plays out in the second half.

CardAmbassador
09-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Coaches always talk up their opponents so I'm not surprised by what Coach Jones said. One factor that hasn't been mentioned much is that since South Alabama is transitioning to FBS they have 20+ more guys on their roster than Lamar. We'll see how that plays out in the second half.

That's where my concern is, it's not our first string guys or even most of the second string. It's everyone else. Plus I think the only place they clearly out match us size wise is in the running game, their running backs are large and physical, this is going to be a good test of Coleman, Hicks and Co.

I'm looking for us to hang in the first half and if we're lucky pull out a win in the second. I do believe they're the favorite, I just don't think they're so good that LU doesn't have a real shot of winning this game. The players and the coach need to concentrate this week to set the tone for the rest of the season.

CardAmbassador
09-06-2011, 11:22 PM
This is a mock article I just wrote for the Cards game.

BEAUMONT, Texas - The big question for Lamar University's football team this week is how much better will they preform against a South Alabama team they lost 26-0 to in 2010.

There have been many predictions thrown out by fans and interested observers on both sides. All would probably agree on a few things: Lamar and South Alabama have both improved since they're new programs, both week 1 games for each team are quite meaningless because of several factors and it should be a good game to measure the Cards progress from last year.

Some with a bit more experience than a laymen have made other statements such as, "Obviously, from year one to year two, we became a much better football team. Likewise with them (Lamar), from year one to year two, they became a better football team."

"I also think they've had our game circled. I think they maybe realize that first game may have been a not-as-tough football game, so when you have that, you kind of look to that second ballgame. I think they probably had our game circled, and our kids realize that as well."

Those are the words of Joey Jones, the head coach of South Alabama's young football program.

So what do we know about the differences in this years team and last years team that would suggest improvement to Coach Jones? For Starters the names participating for the Cardinals will be quite different this year. From last years Box Score (http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2010-2011/lu07.html#GAME.PRE) you can get a better picture.

Lamar University Game Participation:
1-Jackson, Marcus
3-Ford, Barry
4-Hayter, Tim
5-Bevil, Andre
6-Garrett, Jordan
7-Murray-Sesay, Steven Y* (out for season due to injury)
8-Tatum, Harrison Y
9-Ekpe, Jonathan X
10-Chavis, Billy
13-Hildreth, Kye
15-Allen, Michael
16-Powdrill, Josh
18-Lopez, Donte X
19-Peterson, Keinon
20-Hicks, Asim
21-Thomas, Branden
22-Logan, Octavios
23-Ploch, Payton
24-Clark, Ryan
25-Kahler, Kollin
26-Allen, Chad
27-Harmon, Caleb Y
29-Stout, Justin Y* (only kicking extra points)
31-Asante, Kwabena X
33-Jackson, Darby
37-Crissmon-Stewart X
40-Alexander, Jeremiah
43-Maikranz, Chris
44-Peveto, Blake X
49-Jones, William
54-Washington, James
55-Coleman, Jacody
56-Edwards, Kameron
57-Kirt, Jeremy Y
62-Epple, Cameron
64-Gillam, Kyle
67-Kelso, Ian
70-Babin, Stephen
71-Woods, John X
76-Joseph, Jacobson
79-Bailey, Emone
82-Walters, Brent X
84-Prejean, Kendrick
86-Laramore, James X
90-Murrill, Mark
93-Dickson, Jesse
94-Shetley, Aaron X

I've placed X's next to the players who are no longer with the team and Y's next to the players who will likely not play this year due to their absence from the two deep roster.

Forty-seven Cardinals saw action against the Jags while a staggering sixty-nine South Alabama players saw action for the Jags. Another 14 Cardinals will not play this year for any number of reasons. That leaves 33 of the same players plus the new additions to this team that we know so well.

Examining the game from this angle it's easy to see why a team that is adding so much more to it's line up this season hopes to have a better showing against the undefeated Jaguars.

There is no telling exactly how each team will perform, South Alabama is a team with something to play for: an undefeated streak. But the Cardinals have something to say, they want to make a statement about how far they have progressed, this is their perfect opportunity. I expect both sides to go into this weekends game mentally prepared to top the other.

All signs point towards a great game!