PDA

View Full Version : Nate Calmese

lamarfan360
03-03-2023, 12:54 PM
Lamar MBB first Southland Conference Freshmen Of The Year!

geezer
03-03-2023, 02:04 PM
Good for him. With the transfer portal and NIL, I hope he is back next year. I will be interested in his growth.

modem52249
03-03-2023, 02:42 PM
Nice to read the good news about Nate. Looking forward to watching him play next year.

lamarfan360
03-08-2023, 11:47 AM
Nate is entering the transfer portal. Huge loss for Lamar.

geezer
03-08-2023, 12:23 PM
Nate is entering the transfer portal. Huge loss for Lamar.
Not surprised. This will probably be the norm for the next several years. Players who think they should have gotten an offer from a stronger D1 conference member will play a year at a lower tier school hoping to show they should be somewhere better. Wouldn't be surprised if at least a couple of others look at it also.

SportsGuy
03-08-2023, 03:48 PM
A nine-win team loses its best player

What could wrong?

Bring back Tic!

coachacola
03-08-2023, 03:53 PM
I see too big negatives with this news. First, although Brooks can recruit good young players, why would they stick around knowing Brooks cannot coach and they will be stuck on a losing team. Second, LU basketball is officially dead (and has been on life support for decades). No good young players will stay at LU. No good young coach will stay at LU. The SLC is near the very bottom of basketball conferences.

lamarfan360
03-08-2023, 04:59 PM
I see too big negatives with this news. First, although Brooks can recruit good young players, why would they stick around knowing Brooks cannot coach and they will be stuck on a losing team. Second, LU basketball is officially dead (and has been on life support for decades). No good young players will stay at LU. No good young coach will stay at LU. The SLC is near the very bottom of basketball conferences.

2 years ago Kennesaw State was 5-19. Now they are 26-8, going to the NCAA Tournament.

If it can happen there, it can happen here. Calmese will be missed but as you said Coach Brooks can recruit. I bet there will be a couple more scholarships that become available.

BigRedFan_1059
03-08-2023, 05:32 PM
This has more to do with NIL than it does with whether Brooks can coach. Lamar cannot compete with other schools when it comes to NIL. Kids now days always think the pasture is greener on the other side. Calmese is good but everyone says the Southland sucks as a conference. There are many players that can be outstanding in a mediocre conference. Chances are he goes to a bigger school and sits behind a more experienced older player. Playing time cut in half.

geezer
03-08-2023, 05:35 PM
The most significant problem is the last part of Coachacola's post. The SLC is a bad conference. Lamar has blown two opportunities to be in better conferences. It took forty years for Lamar to get as bad as it is and the SLC has not significantly improved in that time either. Maybe if there is enough NIL money to spend in Beaumont, Lamar can keep some good young talent, but if not it will take a great coach and multiple years to get back to where Lamar was even ten years ago.

lamarfan360
03-08-2023, 05:36 PM
The Owls finished 1-28 overall and 0-16 in the ASUN Conference in coach Amir Abdur-Rahim's first season in 2019-20. Having left Division II in 2005, Kennesaw State never had a winning Division I record before this season, when they improved to 26-8 by beating Liberty 67-66 in Sunday's conference tournament championship.

https://www.foxsports.com/articles/cbk/kennesaw-state-brings-ragstoriches-story-to-1st-ncaa-party

SportsGuy
03-08-2023, 05:57 PM
Did Calmese ever explore NIL opportunities in BMT?

Probably not because he is from AZ and not TX!

I would LOVE for a coach to use LU as a stepping stone. We have not had a MBB coach that another program has wanted in a long time

geezer
03-08-2023, 06:28 PM
Did Calmese ever explore NIL opportunities in BMT?

Probably not because he is from AZ and not TX!

I would LOVE for a coach to use LU as a stepping stone. We have not had a MBB coach that another program has wanted in a long time
You have to be willing to take a chance on a young coach and probably from a lower division. Highly unlikely that Lamar will find a coach even in his early forties with any experience at the D1 level and any coach they would get that is over fifty probably won't have a chance to prove themselves worthy of moving up.

Skinny1
03-11-2023, 08:26 AM
This is about NIL! That is what Nate parents told the Lamar administration. The coaches knew he was being contacted by other schools halfway through the season.
I heard he was offered up to $25,000 NIL money to transfer to a Power 5 school close to home.
The kid from Montenegro also was being contacted, but getting hurt may have dampened his NIL value.
Maybe a half dozen of the online members could chip in $5000 each, and keep us some players.

lamarfan360
03-13-2023, 12:01 PM
Yuto is entering the transfer portal but says it is possible that he will return to Lamar.

lamarfan360
03-13-2023, 12:08 PM
Thirdkill is entering the transfer portal.

coachacola
03-13-2023, 09:27 PM
Hopefully Brooks will be gone after next year. He cannot coach and he cannot keep his best players. The program keeps getting worse and it was near bottom when he got here!

lamarfan360
03-14-2023, 04:03 PM
Calmese has already heard from Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona among others.

PeckEm
03-15-2023, 11:34 AM
Calmese has already heard from Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona among others.

For $25,000 they can have him

geezer
03-15-2023, 01:58 PM
Assuming he actually leaves, he might wind up making a similar move as Abilene Christian's Joe Pleasant. Pleasant left two years ago after ACU beat Texas in the NCAA and went to Wichita. After a year at WSU he returned to ACU. I know he didn't get the same kind of playing time in his year away. For Calmese, I don't see him getting much playing time at any Power 6 conference school. His scoring was good here at Lamar, but overall he wasn't spectacular in other areas of the game. To me Calmese didn't play defense at the level you see from the star guards in P6 schools.

lamarfan360
03-15-2023, 02:03 PM
Assuming he actually leaves, he might wind up making a similar move as Abilene Christian's Joe Pleasant. Pleasant left two years ago after ACU beat Texas in the NCAA and went to Wichita. After a year at WSU he returned to ACU. I know he didn't get the same kind of playing time in his year away. For Calmese, I don't see him getting much playing time at any Power 6 conference school. His scoring was good here at Lamar, but overall he wasn't spectacular in other areas of the game. To me Calmese didn't play defense at the level you see from the star guards in P6 schools.

Agreed, his overall game needs work. He turns the ball over too much. That said, I would take him back in a heartbeat.

PeckEm
03-17-2023, 04:59 PM
Agreed, his overall game needs work. He turns the ball over too much. That said, I would take him back in a heartbeat.

The comments on here are hilarious. The world is coming to an end because some players are transferring. Oh no!!!! Hello! That's the new stupid world we live in. It happens at every school. It's not that big of a deal. Yes it sucks to lose Calmese but we can just as easily pick up someone else. At the end of the day what really matters is the coach. If we EVER find a good coach we will win again. If we don't then we won't. And this garbage about missing out on opportunities with bigger conference. Do you know our history?? Been there done that. The southland has very good football and pretty good baseball. Crappy basketball without SFA and SHSU. The WAC has good basketball and good baseball. Crappy football. The Southland is the perfect conference for us at present. Until we can prove that we can win in the Southland it's pointless to try to move up. And if Calmese thinks he's going to some major college and making an impact he's fooling himself. I hope he does go to a big school and I hope he rides the pine.

PeckEm
03-17-2023, 05:05 PM
The comments on here are hilarious. The world is coming to an end because some players are transferring. Oh no!!!! Hello! That's the new stupid world we live in. It happens at every school. It's not that big of a deal. Yes it sucks to lose Calmese but we can just as easily pick up someone else. At the end of the day what really matters is the coach. If we EVER find a good coach we will win again. If we don't then we won't. And this garbage about missing out on opportunities with bigger conference. Do you know our history?? Been there done that. The southland has very good football and pretty good baseball. Crappy basketball without SFA and SHSU. The WAC has good basketball and good baseball. Crappy football. The Southland is the perfect conference for us at present. Until we can prove that we can win in the Southland it's pointless to try to move up. And if Calmese thinks he's going to some major college and making an impact he's fooling himself. I hope he does go to a big school and I hope he rides the pine.

We need to part ways with Brooks and find someone who can coach. Oh, and the NIL comments. That's hilarious too. Do you think the schools we compete against are paying big NIL money? If you own a business are you going to pay Calmese 25 grand to advertise for you? Do you think ANY of these players will generate more business for you if they are the "face" of your business? lol. Jason Thirdkill says come on down to Kinsel and pick up a new truck!

PeckEm
03-17-2023, 05:40 PM
We need to part ways with Brooks and find someone who can coach. Oh, and the NIL comments. That's hilarious too. Do you think the schools we compete against are paying big NIL money? If you own a business are you going to pay Calmese 25 grand to advertise for you? Do you think ANY of these players will generate more business for you if they are the "face" of your business? lol. Jason Thirdkill says come on down to Kinsel and pick up a new truck!

Look at all of these no good, deadbeat universities that can't keep their players: https://theresourcenexus.com/transfer-portal-basketball/

(Geezus. Yall all act like you were never an 18 or 19 year old. Or, yall were just mature beyond your age. "i'll stay, I wanna go out with that girl." "I'm leaving, that girl dumped me." "Coach was mean to me, I'm leaving").

Skinny1
03-17-2023, 06:36 PM

Totally agree! We probably belong in the Southland and should stay there for the near future.

puddin tane
03-17-2023, 06:38 PM
Yall trying to figure out how to keep em. Screw em. Go out and recruit someone else.

to be honest, youd have to go like princeton, get a bunch of nerdy white kids that are there for an education and a little basketball, look like they belong on chess club and nobody wants. Play fundamental basketball, with picks, pick and rolls, and actual passing team play. and win. And shoot some threes.

PeckEm
03-17-2023, 10:55 PM
Yall trying to figure out how to keep em. Screw em. Go out and recruit someone else.

to be honest, youd have to go like princeton, get a bunch of nerdy white kids that are there for an education and a little basketball, look like they belong on chess club and nobody wants. Play fundamental basketball, with picks, pick and rolls, and actual passing team play. and win. And shoot some threes.

Maybe. Definitely need someone who can coach. Team ball, team play. And it pains me to say it but defense defense defense. You dont have to be a 4 star athlete to play great defense. Our defense under Brooks is absolutely horrible.

geezer
03-18-2023, 08:56 AM
How about using the FDU approach, a successful mid age D2 coach. He actually brought his three best players from his D2 school with him and took down a number one seed.

lamarfan360
03-18-2023, 09:45 AM
How about using the FDU approach, a successful mid age D2 coach. He actually brought his three best players from his D2 school with him and took down a number one seed.

First I know I am in the minority, but coach Brooks deserves the same amount of time to turn around the MBB program as coach Davis and coach Franklin has had developing their programs. Both of their programs are showing success due to the backing of the administration.

Should coach Brooks team next year not make drastic improvement ( 18-20 wins), I will be in favor of a coaching change.

However, I would prefer a younger coach and I already have a coach in mind. Brandon Chappell is putting together an impressive resume. He played for Billy Tubbs, played pro ball overseas, has great contracts in Texas especially SE Texas and is getting valuable experience at UT.

Now, let the bashing of my post begin. LOL

geezer
03-18-2023, 01:07 PM
First I know I am in the minority, but coach Brooks deserves the same about of time to turn around the MBB program as coach Davis and coach Franklin has had developing their programs. Both of their programs are showing success due to the backing of the administration.

Should coach Brooks team next year not make drastic improvement ( 18-20 wins), I will be in favor a coaching change.

However, I would prefer a younger coach and I already have a coach in mind. Brandon Chappell is putting together and impressive resume. He played for Billy Tubbs, played pro ball overseas, has great contracts in Texas especially SE Texas and in getting valuable experience at UT.

Now, let the bashing of my post begin. LOL
I for one won't bash it. I would prefer someone who has been a head coach somewhere that at least has a winnning record as a head coach, but Lamar may not be on a list that will draw a successful coach, without some serious money which Lamar doesn't have.

lamarfan360
03-18-2023, 01:20 PM
I for one won't bash it. I would prefer someone who has been a head coach somewhere that at least has a winnning record as a head coach, but Lamar may not be on a list that will draw a successful coach, without some serious money which Lamar doesn't have.

Lamar is paying Brooks 300K. Lutz (who just accepted the WKU HC job) was making 280K after making the NCAA Tournament last year for Corpus.

Corey Gipson who just left NW State, was making 180K.

Point being, Lamar is in better shape financially than most people think.

PeckEm
03-19-2023, 11:47 AM

This is EXACTLY the type of person we should hire. I could care less about connections and local ties and great recruiter. Blah blah blah. Hire someone who is a successful head coach at a lower level. Period. End of story no debate. Drop the mic.

lamarfan360
03-19-2023, 12:55 PM
This is EXACTLY the type of person we should hire. I could care less about connections and local ties and great recruiter. Blah blah blah. Hire someone who is a successful head coach at a lower level. Period. End of story no debate. Drop the mic.

The Lamar AD may agree with you. Peter Rossomando was a successful head coach at the FCS and Dll levels.

Steve Lutz, Cory Gipson and Claunch all SLC head coaches that did not have previous head coaching experience. On a national stage, Jerome Tang had no head coaching experience. There are several others I could list.

So, I guess we will see which way the AD goes if coach Brooks is not successful next season.

Skinny1
03-19-2023, 08:26 PM

And not one Princeton player is on an athletic scholarship! They are on academic scholarships - No athletic scholarships in the Ivy League.

geezer
03-19-2023, 09:32 PM
And not one Princeton player is on an athletic scholarship! They are on academic scholarships - No athletic scholarships in the Ivy League.
Question, doesn't an academic scholarship count towards the scholarship count for athletics? I though as I understood that even if a player was on an academic scholarship at Lamar it still counted against the scholarship number for say basketball. It didn't draw from the pool of money for athletic scholarships.

lamar1
04-05-2023, 07:37 PM
Question, doesn't an academic scholarship count towards the scholarship count for athletics? I though as I understood that even if a player was on an academic scholarship at Lamar it still counted against the scholarship number for say basketball. It didn't draw from the pool of money for athletic scholarships.

No. Similar to walkons

lamar1
04-05-2023, 07:38 PM
Yuto is going to Portland

lamar1
04-05-2023, 07:40 PM
David Muoka is now in transfer portal at UNLV. Never happy evidently

geezer
06-06-2023, 06:05 AM
Saw a report that Calmese will be at the University of Washington this coming year. Would have loved to see him develop at Lamar but now I will just hope he develops enough to get plenty of playing time. I am a little afraid his defensive skills are not strong enough for a power conference.

lamarfan360
06-06-2023, 06:37 AM
Saw a report that Calmese will be at the University of Washington this coming year. Would have loved to see him develop at Lamar but now I will just hope he develops enough to get plenty of playing time. I am a little afraid his defensive skills are not strong enough for a power conference.

He is going to have to beat out Beaumont United star Wesley Yates for playing time. Plus, they signed another transfer PG who was at Kentucky.

puddin tane
06-06-2023, 03:51 PM

yall are much kinder than me. I hope he rides the pine, transfers again and ends up begging a d3 for a tryout

lamar1
06-06-2023, 05:07 PM
yall are much kinder than me. I hope he rides the pine, transfers again and ends up begging a d3 for a tryout

We got Jasean Jackson from ACU Averaged 4ppg in 17mpg Same size as Calmese

geezer
06-06-2023, 07:50 PM
We got Jasean Jackson from ACU Averaged 4ppg in 17mpg Same size as Calmese
From what I have watched of ACU they put an emphasis on defense, so it might be an improvement, but then again we are Lamar.

lamarfan360
08-01-2023, 01:52 PM
Jason Thirdkill Jr. has committed to Paul Quinn College in Dallas. All I can say is, wow!

WildCard
08-02-2023, 06:20 AM
Jason Thirdkill Jr. has committed to Paul Quinn College in Dallas. All I can say is, wow!
Every marginal player who is thinking about the transfer portal should be shown this