PDA

View Full Version : Nicknames For PUS Stadium

LU4LIFE
09-07-2011, 07:45 PM
I think this will be fun. Other university's have nicknames for their stadium such as

Michigan---The Big House
Ohio State-The Shoe or The Horse Shoe
LSU--------Death Valley
Texas A&M--The 12th Man
Florida----The Swamp
Georgia----Between the Hedges
Notre Dame-The House Rockne Built
Nebraska---The Sea of Red
Penn State-Happy Valley
ETC

Now it's time for PUS to get one, i'm going with The Birds Nest

CardAmbassador
09-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Boomtown!

or

REDVOLUTION SQUARE?

LU4LIFE
09-07-2011, 07:51 PM
The House of Cards :)

lcm2007ms
09-07-2011, 07:53 PM
The Bird Cage

LU4LIFE
09-07-2011, 08:01 PM
The Bird Cage

I like that.

coachacola
09-07-2011, 08:44 PM
The Bird Cage
I like that.

No, not the bird cage! Remember this movie?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/76/Birdcage_imp.jpg/215px-Birdcage_imp.jpg

I don't think that would work well for a school named Lamar, remember the movie Revenge of the Nerds?

boomer
09-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Look I love the Boomtown. I Like House of Cards. What you need to focus on here is if we keep calling it the PUS it will stick. So this is something that needs to be fixed fast and catch on quick.

CardAmbassador
09-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Good names stick because they sound good and they have some meaning behind them.

There are only a few themes we can go with:

Cardinal (Bird) or Big Red (Color) themes: The Bird Cage, House of Cards/REDVOLUTION SQUARE

Oil Theme: Boomtown

Food Theme: Boudain Bowl, Crawfish Bowl etc.

I'm not nearly creative enough to come up with anything although It seems like ideas need to fall into these categories.

You can also do something with flight...

NorthoftheBorder
09-07-2011, 09:02 PM
I don't think Umphrey paid all that money to have the stadium go by a nickname and not Provost Umphrey Stadium.

jdcurran235
09-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Provost Umphrey "House of Cards" == Just sayin

jdcurran235
09-07-2011, 09:08 PM
and do you realize how many PUSS jokes can be made with our current acronym.

mllme
09-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Pro Umf

or

Pro Bowl

mllme
09-07-2011, 09:23 PM
I also like Pro Umf 'Bird's Nest'

CardAmbassador
09-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Pro Umf

or

Pro Bowl

I really like this. The Pro Bowl, it just rolls off the tongue.

I like 'The House of Cards' too but it's a bit too wordy. I'm afraid it wouldn't stick.

'The Bird House' is another one I like it's 3 syllables.

'The Bird Bowl' is another that might stick

jdcurran235
09-08-2011, 12:38 AM
"Red Dawn"

coachacola
09-08-2011, 01:05 AM
"Pro-U Stadium" or "the pro" for short

Big T
09-08-2011, 01:10 AM
I was talking to someone early today about Lamar vs Northwestern and they asked me if it was away or at home and i answered it was at "The Cage" before i could really think about it. So i guess that one has kinda stuck with me and i like it.

boomer
09-08-2011, 01:23 AM
Red House or The Nest or The Firm or the Aviarium.....The Big A

lcm2007ms
09-08-2011, 01:48 AM
I was talking to someone early today about Lamar vs Northwestern and they asked me if it was away or at home and i answered it was at "The Cage" before i could really think about it. So i guess that one has kinda stuck with me and i like it.

B)

Mahler
09-08-2011, 01:48 AM
"Pro-U Stadium" or "the pro" for short

I REALLY like Pro-U Stadium!!

CardAmbassador
09-08-2011, 01:49 AM
I was leaning towards "The Pro" or the "The Pro Bowl" but after reading T's comment I think it makes the most sense. out of the ideas I've heard so far I like 'The Cage' it makes sense with our mascot, it's intimidating (a cage match) and I see a picture of the stadium looking through the perimeter fence with 'The Cage' written on it.

I like it.

LU4LIFE
09-08-2011, 02:09 AM
I second that, I really like "The Cage".

theTestament
09-08-2011, 02:58 AM
The Oil Field
the Gulf.....after Gulf oil naturally
The hill......spindletop hill

05BigRed
09-08-2011, 03:20 AM
How bout "The Stink Bowl" since it always smells like a fart from the plant next door. LOL

CardAmbassador
09-08-2011, 03:37 AM
How bout "The Stink Bowl" since it always smells like a fart from the plant next door. LOL

Maybe I've inhaled too many fumes, (doubtful since I lived in the sticks my entire life) but I rarely smell the plant I don't think I've ever smelled it on game day but I've definitely smelled it on odd days when I would park at the Montagne Center.

Besides 'The Cage' sounds awesome. Or at least it does to me.

CardinalClaw
09-08-2011, 04:02 AM
I don't like anything with bowl on the end of it for two reasons

1. It sound like a game not a stadium
2. We don't have a bowled in stadium

I too really like "The Cage", so I'm going to start calling PUS that.

boomer
09-08-2011, 04:25 AM
I like "The Cage" but how about "The U " that way the benefactor is still included, and we get a name that really rings out?

theTestament
09-08-2011, 09:11 AM
THE HILL. It goes back to two things: naturally the Spindletop Hill and second, how many of you remember going to games as a kid and sitting on the hill. This name has relevance and it sounds good. The Cards ot king of the Hill.

jdcurran235
09-08-2011, 02:37 PM
No one liked RED DAWN. Whats up with that. I thought that was pretty good and a great movie reference as well.

CardAmbassador
09-08-2011, 02:51 PM
No one liked RED DAWN. Whats up with that. I thought that was pretty good and a great movie reference as well.

Nice, reference, I actually didn't catch it at first but I do love that movie!!

I'm still pretty sold on 'The Cage' although I can see some rationale in the 'The Hill'

One thing I know I like the names that are 'The ____' insert one sylable word, the shorter the better.

theTestament
09-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Wow CA, i never would have thought we could agree on something. My vote is for "the HILL" It sounds badass!

sleepy
09-08-2011, 05:56 PM
LOVE THE HOUSE OF CARDS IDEA!!!!!!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!

peckemtech11
09-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Like.

peckemtech11
09-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, good evening and Welcome to the Cage!! {ehoe}{echoe}
We're here at Provost Umphrey Stadium and Bud C. Leonard field. HOME OF YOUR LAMAR CARDINALS!!

COLLEGE FOOTBALL LIVES HERE.....in the CAGE!

CardAmbassador
09-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Recap of all the suggestions so far. How about we all pick a top 4? Feel free to add new ones too.

The Birds Nest
The Bird Cage
REDVOLUTION SQUARE
Boomtown
Boudain Bowl
Crawfish Bowl
Pro Umf
The Pro Bowl
House of Cards
The Bird House
The Bird Bowl
Red Dawn
Red House
The Nest
The Firm
Aviarium
The Big A
Pro-U Stadium
The Pro
The Pro Bowl
The Oil
the Gulf
The Hill
The Stink Bowl
The Cage
The U

CA's Top 4:
#1 The Cage
#2 The Pro
#3 The Hill
#4 Boomtown

lcm2007ms
09-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, good evening and Welcome to the Cage!! {ehoe}{echoe}
We're here at Provost Umphrey Stadium and Bud C. Leonard field. HOME OF YOUR LAMAR CARDINALS!!

COLLEGE FOOTBALL LIVES HERE.....in the CAGE!

Can __________ escape the cage alive!!?

bigredfan2
09-08-2011, 11:12 PM
We have gone all these years with out a nickname for the MOntagne Center, but the PU stadium needs a nickname fast. The plant behind stadium try their best by putting their plant in a idle or slow mode to try to minimize the possible upset (stink) while the stadium is being used.

I am leaning toward 'THE CAGE'.

peckemtech11
09-09-2011, 12:18 AM
Can Incarnate Word escape the cage alive!!? Negative.

Big T
09-09-2011, 03:21 AM
The Montange Center should be "The Nest". It's even a bowl shape like a nest.

CardAmbassador
09-09-2011, 03:24 AM
Recap of all the suggestions so far. How about we all pick a top 4? Feel free to add new ones too.

The Birds Nest
The Bird Cage
REDVOLUTION SQUARE
Boomtown
Boudain Bowl
Crawfish Bowl
Pro Umf
The Pro Bowl
House of Cards
The Bird House
The Bird Bowl
Red Dawn
Red House
The Nest
The Firm
Aviarium
The Big A
Pro-U Stadium
The Pro
The Pro Bowl
The Oil
the Gulf
The Hill
The Stink Bowl
The Cage
The U

CA's Top 4:
#1 The Cage
#2 The Pro
#3 The Hill
#4 Boomtown

Did anyone see this post?

theTestament
09-09-2011, 03:26 AM
#1 The Hill
#2 Pro-U
#3 The Firm
#4 The Cage

Big T
09-09-2011, 03:28 AM
1. The Cage
2. The Cage
3. The Cage
4. Red Dawn

Sorry it's stuck and i just don't think i can call it anything else.

CardinalClaw
09-09-2011, 03:29 AM
1. The Cage
2. The Birds Nest
3. The Nest
4. The Red House
5. The House Umphery Built :laugh: (just kidding)

theTestament
09-09-2011, 03:33 AM
1. The Cage
2. The Birds Nest
3. The Nest
4. The Red House
5. The House Umphery Built :laugh: (just kidding)

I like #5 LOLOLOLOL That is a great one!

LU4LIFE
09-09-2011, 03:57 AM
1. The Cage
2. The Birds Nest
3. The Nest
4. Red Dawn

Vroo
09-09-2011, 04:27 AM
I like "The Hill" as it could take on a life of its own. It almost has an ominous sound to it. You don't want to go to the hill. I also like "The Cage" but either would be better than PUS.

CardAmbassador
09-09-2011, 04:38 AM
I like "The Hill" as it could take on a life of its own. It almost has an ominous sound to it. You don't want to go to the hill. I also like "The Cage" but either would be better than PUS.

Thanks for joining Vroo, I agree either would be better, Provost Umphrey Stadium is a really long name and sounds really pretentious to be a CFB stadium.

Vroo
09-09-2011, 04:51 AM

Thanks for joining Vroo, I agree either would be better, Provost Umphrey Stadium is a really long name and sounds really pretentious to be a CFB stadium.

Thanks for having me. I have been watching this site for some time now but I do agree that the stadium needs a meaningful yet catchy name. I'm sure that most alumni and current LU students are grateful for the generous contributions made by the Umphreys but I see nothing wrong with a nickname for the stadium. This is common practice throughout sport and can only add to the history and lore of the venue. Although "The House Umphery Built" is pretty funny and catchy.

Mahler
09-09-2011, 12:34 PM

The Birds Nest
The Bird Cage
REDVOLUTION SQUARE
Boomtown
Boudain Bowl
Crawfish Bowl
Pro Umf
The Pro Bowl
House of Cards
The Bird House
The Bird Bowl
Red Dawn
Red House
The Nest
The Firm
Aviarium
The Big A
Pro-U Stadium
The Pro
The Pro Bowl
The Oil
the Gulf
The Hill
The Stink Bowl
The Cage
The U

1. The Cage
2. Pro-U Stadium (It still gives credit to Provost Umphrey)
3.The Hill

Anything but the Red House... it reminds me of that Rhett and Link commercial for a furniture store:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnOyMSEWNTs

At least it's funny ;)

lcm2007ms
09-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Whatever is decided it needs to be promoted to the public. Someone should create a Facebook fan page and maybe a new shirt design with the angry cards logo but with the cardinal head busting through a birdcage. BRI could use it for fundraising since we didn't get to on the last idea.

Obviously, I'm partial to "The Cage" :)

theTestament
09-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Whatever is decided it needs to be promoted to the public. Someone should create a Facebook fan page and maybe a new shirt design with the angry cards logo but with the cardinal head busting through a birdcage. BRI could use it for fundraising since we didn't get to on the last idea.

Obviously, I'm partial to "The Cage" :)

I like the Angry Cards, but put it going flying over "The Hill". The Cage is is too obvious of a name. The Hill is not so much and like someone else said earlier, it could take on a meaning of its own.
Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls welcome to your home form Lamar Football, THE HILL!

TBonesLU
09-09-2011, 02:09 PM
How about focusing on the fact that Cards fly? "The Runway" or "Landing Strip"...

Or even making it an airport moniker....KLUF.

boomer
09-09-2011, 02:10 PM
I still like " THE U " but " THE HILL " also has a ring about it. The whole thing with the cage is without MMA being popular would it even be on the list? I think we need a name that not only sounds out but will last from one generation to the next. The cage is top five don't get me wrong, just trying to be more critical of the best ones now. One side note is we don't want to be labeled BIRD BRAINS either....lol

TBonesLU
09-09-2011, 02:11 PM
How about focusing on the fact that Cards fly? "The Runway" or "Landing Strip"...

Or even making it an airport moniker....KLUF.

Sorry...flight school just kicked in.

LU4LIFE
09-09-2011, 02:14 PM
I don't like The U just because The University of Miami is known as The U.

LU1991
09-09-2011, 02:51 PM
How about "The Red Hill"

CardAmbassador
09-09-2011, 02:56 PM
I like The Cage regardless of MMA which I don't watch or care for. I don't see how it would fade in popularity over time.

Anyways I just thought it would be fun for us all to choose a top 4 and then maybe in a few days we can do a thread with a poll.

Big T
09-09-2011, 03:29 PM
I don't like The Hill. Maybe i just don't get what is ment by it but we live in one of the flattest places in the US. Why would we call our stadium, which is flat located on flat land and the word flat has nothing to do with LU, The Hill? It just doesn't make sence. And other people will also have a problem making sence of it so it will have a harder time sticking then The Cage which is obvious and very stickable(Is that a word?). I mean i've already got many of my friends calling it the Cage just by saying it once to them. It is a name that will stick. I just don't see the Hill sticking.

Ruckdad
09-09-2011, 06:00 PM
The Umph

coachacola
09-09-2011, 06:10 PM
The Umph

Look that up in the urban dictionary! :laugh:

Link: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=umph

CardinalClaw
09-09-2011, 06:23 PM
The Umph

:laugh: That is funny

Vroo
09-09-2011, 06:29 PM
I don't like The Hill. Maybe i just don't get what is ment by it but we live in one of the flattest places in the US. Why would we call our stadium, which is flat located on flat land and the word flat has nothing to do with LU, The Hill? It just doesn't make sence. And other people will also have a problem making sence of it so it will have a harder time sticking then The Cage which is obvious and very stickable(Is that a word?). I mean i've already got many of my friends calling it the Cage just by saying it once to them. It is a name that will stick. I just don't see the Hill sticking.

It is a reference to the university's obviously close ties to Spindletop. If you don't know much about it go to Google. It was called "Spindletop Hill". I am grew up in Oregon all my life so I understand what you are saying when you say you don't get the whole hill thing, but that is why it could take on a meaning and life of its own. It could mean something different to everyone. As a person interested in history especially historical battles many a war was fought over a hill or a raised piece of land (ie. hamburger hill - great movie if you've never seen it, the battle of Gettysburg was fought over many hills). It was and is still common practice when involved in a battle (which is what many refer to football as) that you want to have control of the high ground or in this case "The Hill." I get that it is not a huge hill that we are talking about but to me many of the other names are just to cliche and maybe not, in my opinion, be something that would be remembered by everyone, but a lot of people would think well why did they call it "The Hill" which could lead to many discussions and theories being discussed. Then there will be those that just say we just don't want to have to go back to "The Hill" to do battle again. They, the LU football team, defend "The Hill" very well. Or something of that nature. I just think it could be something to be proud of rather than "PUS." No disrespect intended toward anyone involved with the "PUS" group. Just my opinion but it seems like there is great discussions on this board so just something to talk about.

Vroo
09-09-2011, 06:29 PM
The Umph

:laugh: That is funny

That is funny I could see it now.

TBonesLU
09-09-2011, 06:33 PM
How 'bout "Montagne's Shadow"?

1) It's in the shadow of the Montagne
2) It has a gloomy sound to it like "Death Valley"

Okay, I already know this one is dumb, but I'm still going to post this.

Vroo
09-09-2011, 06:37 PM
How bout the big pothole or chuckhole? In reference to the wonderful roadways in SETX. Or as suggested earlier we could just go to The Red House (http://www.districtlines.com/13028-The-Red-House-T-Shirt/Rhett-and-Link) and get our Red House shirts and get ready for some football.
http://d3eum8lucccgeh.cloudfront.net/designs/13028/detail_theredhouse_mock_screen.jpg

TBonesLU
09-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Or butthole...in reference to the fact that everyone in SETX has one(?).

Vroo
09-09-2011, 06:41 PM

I could see it now. "Good evening everyone, glad you could make it out the the big red butthole." Classy

theTestament
09-09-2011, 06:54 PM

It is a reference to the university's obviously close ties to Spindletop. If you don't know much about it go to Google. It was called "Spindletop Hill". I am grew up in Oregon all my life so I understand what you are saying when you say you don't get the whole hill thing, but that is why it could take on a meaning and life of its own. It could mean something different to everyone. As a person interested in history especially historical battles many a war was fought over a hill or a raised piece of land (ie. hamburger hill - great movie if you've never seen it, the battle of Gettysburg was fought over many hills). It was and is still common practice when involved in a battle (which is what many refer to football as) that you want to have control of the high ground or in this case "The Hill." I get that it is not a huge hill that we are talking about but to me many of the other names are just to cliche and maybe not, in my opinion, be something that would be remembered by everyone, but a lot of people would think well why did they call it "The Hill" which could lead to many discussions and theories being discussed. Then there will be those that just say we just don't want to have to go back to "The Hill" to do battle again. They, the LU football team, defend "The Hill" very well. Or something of that nature. I just think it could be something to be proud of rather than "PUS." No disrespect intended toward anyone involved with the "PUS" group. Just my opinion but it seems like there is great discussions on this board so just something to talk about.

My point exactly. Plus I grew up in southeast Texas and remember watching a lot of games at Lamar. We used to sit on the hill(the endzones) for all the games. When my friends and I talk about it, we would always say lets go sit on the Hill. Think about it, "Man those Cardinal's sure do defend The Hill."

Big T
09-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Ok i get it but to the casual fan they probably still won't get it. Their most likely going to think of a king of the hill type thing and not get the true meaning of it. The Cage is simple stright foward and everybody can make a conection with it and not get it confused for meaning something else.

lcm2007ms
09-09-2011, 07:18 PM
1. The Cage
2. The Nest
3. Boomtown
4. The Hill

Lets get a poll going already!

CardAmbassador
09-09-2011, 08:11 PM

This is a top 5 post on BRI hands down!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

boomer
09-09-2011, 08:19 PM
OK CA the people have spoken start the voting set up a poll I dont have the rights.

DJLocal
09-09-2011, 08:53 PM
I enjoy THE CAGE

cagemash.jpg

Big T
09-09-2011, 08:55 PM
NICE!!! Love It! You're a fun guy to have around lol.

CardAmbassador
09-09-2011, 08:57 PM

Go check him out at the next home game, he tailgates with the KA's. He's a beast DJ.

coachacola
09-09-2011, 09:00 PM
I like "the cage", although FIU uses that for their stadium. But who really cares about FIU? :laugh:

Big T
09-09-2011, 09:00 PM
I will!

Big T
09-09-2011, 09:02 PM
FIWHO?!?!

jdcurran235
09-09-2011, 09:42 PM
1. Red Dawn (just a fan of killin commies)
2. The Cage (can't really go wrong with this one)
3. Pro-U (credit to our banker)
4. The Nest (boring but makes sense)

Not a fan of the Hill cause to many people would be confused by it.

DJLocal
09-09-2011, 11:06 PM

Go check him out at the next home game, he tailgates with the KA's. He's a beast DJ.

I will be tailgating next game right across from Subway, the rain had me up under the Plummer building. Plan to go all out and make it one big party.

theTestament
09-10-2011, 12:07 AM
1. Red Dawn (just a fan of killin commies)
2. The Cage (can't really go wrong with this one)
3. Pro-U (credit to our banker)
4. The Nest (boring but makes sense)

Not a fan of the Hill cause to many people would be confused by it.

Curran, correct me if i am wrong, but didn't you graduate from PNG around '99/'00? If so you do not remember going there for even PNG playoff games and sitting on the Hill. Plus, Spindletop! Dude Lamar is on the grounds of the WORLD's first major oil gusher on Spindletop HILL! Plus its a great story of how it took on its name. I just think we should be out of the box.....but whatever.

jdcurran235
09-10-2011, 01:02 AM
still not a fan of hill sorry