PDA

View Full Version : Reports from BE's Dabe and Fox 4's Canizales about Lamar QB's

AggiesAreWe
09-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Reports from Beaumont Enterprise sports writer/ Lamar beat writer Chris Dabe and Fox 4's Nick Canizales who both attended Lamar practice today, Bevil and Johnson only two QB's taking snaps today.

Dabe reports that it looks as though the QB battle is down to Bevil and Johnson.

coachacola
09-09-2011, 12:14 AM
Time to bring on the conspiracy theories! :laugh:

TBonesLU
09-09-2011, 12:17 AM
Time to bring on the conspiracy theories! :laugh:

Dear God, I hope not.

TBonesLU
09-09-2011, 12:27 AM
Any idea what this would mean for Prewitt? Perhaps a WR?

Mike
09-09-2011, 12:31 AM
Any idea what this would mean for Prewitt? Perhaps a WR?

Backup qb until needed. Prewitts attitude about all this has always been positive.

bigred360
09-09-2011, 12:32 AM
I bet we see some interesting comments from a few people tomorrow.

AggiesAreWe
09-09-2011, 12:44 AM
I am still sticking to my guns that this will be Jeremy Johnson's team to lead by game 3 or 4.

TBonesLU
09-09-2011, 12:46 AM
I am still sticking to my guns that this will be Jeremy Johnson's team to lead by game 3 or 4.

I'm saying by the second half of this game. I'm not saying Bevil will do bad or anything. I just think some fresh legs and explosive moves will throw them off guard.

coachacola
09-09-2011, 12:51 AM
Looks like we may see rotating QBs:

Andre Bevil will make a second straight start at quarterback. The senior will likely rotate with redshirt freshman Jeremy Johnson, offensive coordinator Todd Whitten said.

Also, McVey will probably start at TE and Marcus Jackson looks to be completely healthy.

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/WR-Jackson-ready-to-play-Saturday-2161747.php#ixzz1XPqdoZ6K

TBonesLU
09-09-2011, 01:04 AM

Andre Bevil will make a second straight start at quarterback. The senior will likely rotate with redshirt freshman Jeremy Johnson, offensive coordinator Todd Whitten said.

Also, McVey will probably start at TE and Marcus Jackson looks to be completely healthy.
Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/WR-Jackson-ready-to-play-Saturday-2161747.php#ixzz1XPqdoZ6K

Whoo! Ballgame, folks!

bigred360
09-09-2011, 01:13 AM

AAW, I agree with you but we are in the minority as there will be people talking about how this should be Prewitt's team and Lamar should have offerred Doty instead of Johnson. LOL

TBonesLU
09-09-2011, 01:20 AM

AAW, I agree with you but we are in the minority as there will be people talking about how this should be Prewitt's team and Lamar should have offerred Doty instead of Johnson. LOL

Oh, I don't know. I think most people are behind JJ. I can only think of two who are behind Doty. I can think of a few for Prewitt and less for Bevil. Put it this way, regardless of who it is this year, I know one thing: I will not be cheering for a quarterback on another team (Doty). I'm hoping for Johnson while cheering for whoever it is.

coachacola
09-09-2011, 01:27 AM
I was looking at last year's depth chart for the South Alabama game and Marcus Jackson was listed as the 3rd QB. Having a QB controversy isn't the worst thing to have.

TBonesLU
09-09-2011, 01:59 AM
I was looking at last year's depth chart for the South Alabama game and Marcus Jackson was listed as the 3rd QB. Having a QB controversy isn't the worst thing to have.

Wasn't he a QB in high school or something originally? He's a damn good WR, that's for sure.

bigred360
09-09-2011, 02:05 AM
TBonesLU, yes Marcus Jackson was a QB in high school in Tyler. He was moved to WR at Navarro.

theTestament
09-09-2011, 02:12 AM

Oh, I don't know. I think most people are behind JJ. I can only think of two who are behind Doty. I can think of a few for Prewitt and less for Bevil. Put it this way, regardless of who it is this year, I know one thing: I will not be cheering for a quarterback on another team (Doty). I'm hoping for Johnson while cheering for whoever it is.

See you all missed the point in the Doty arguement. I do not care if Doty plays for Oregon, Lamar, or a 5th year of high school. The point was to show what IMO is a lack of talent evaluation. Go back and look at my comments, read them and soak it in. But hey I guess you guys don't like a different opinion from some different perspective.

TBonesLU
09-09-2011, 02:13 AM

See you all missed the point in the Doty arguement. I do not care if Doty plays for Oregon, Lamar, or a 5th year of high school. The point was to show what IMO is a lack of talent evaluation. Go back and look at my comments, read them and soak it in. But hey I guess you guys don't like a different opinion from some different perspective.

Yeah, not really. Just support Lamar!

TBonesLU
09-09-2011, 02:15 AM

Yeah, not really. Just support Lamar!

That was quite obviously a joke. ^

bigred360
09-09-2011, 02:15 AM
No, this post is fine it's just when you say the coaches can't evaluate talent or make personal attacks by name calling that I have problems with. BTW, I answered your PM and was well aware of the content.

theTestament
09-09-2011, 02:28 AM
Never did I personally attack anyone. You or someone else may have, but not me.

bigred360
09-09-2011, 02:33 AM
Calling people or their opinions "gay" is a personal attack. Sorry, you can't see that. Last post I'll make on this subject theTestament.

CardAmbassador
09-09-2011, 02:33 AM
Whoa, just got home, I bet people are going to riot over this. Lets just see how it plays out in a game first though ok? If you want to question the coaches, I'm not going to necessarily agree but you can do it. BUT, lets wait till game time and see if maybe the coaches saw something we didn't.

Mike
09-09-2011, 02:34 AM
There was no personal attacks in this thread. Everyone needs to realize that a difference of opinion and criticism is ok. That's what makes these places work. Let's just keep it clean and its all good but I think we all know how people feel about the QB situation now.

:)

AggiesAreWe
09-09-2011, 02:48 AM
Personally, I have no problem with someone not liking or disagreeing with a coaches decision. It's their personal choice. But, don't expect anyone to applaud or not criticize those comments.

I believe coaches make mistakes all the time. But, it's most of the time it's in game type mistakes. In regards to players and personnel, I trust a coaches authority on those issues. Those guys see the players day in and day out and I would expect them to have a much greater knowledge on who should play and who shouldn't.

bigred360
09-09-2011, 02:54 AM
Totally agree, Coach Woodard has admitted to making in game mistakes like not taking the wind in the 3rd quarter last week. But his evaluation of players on the Lamar roster is not one of his weaknesses.

theTestament
09-09-2011, 03:04 AM
Personally, I have no problem with someone not liking or disagreeing with a coaches decision. It's their personal choice. But, don't expect anyone to applaud or not criticize those comments.

I believe coaches make mistakes all the time. But, it's most of the time it's in game type mistakes. In regards to players and personnel, I trust a coaches authority on those issues. Those guys see the players day in and day out and I would expect them to have a much greater knowledge on who should play and who shouldn't.

I agree totally with you, coaches are only human and make mistakes all the time. You do not have to agree with me, and that is ok too. But what makes these boards fun and interesting is competitive banter. I was not making a personal remark about someone being gay, just trying to make the point that we will not all agree and that it is ok not to. I have some pretty different views on some things and I get it. Either way, i call a truce. Lets move on and all(even myself) try to be a little more open minded.

Big T
09-09-2011, 03:11 AM
Here we go again lol. Look if the guy who is out there is wearing a RED jersy with LAMAR written across the front SUPPORT HIM WITH YOUR WHOLE HEART! It doesn't matter what name ie written on the back of the jersy if it says LAMAR just support the guy. Andre and JJ are both good players and both have the ability to lead this game to victory. As long as that happens i don't care who it is.

On a second note I have to point this out. Dionte Forney beat Doty and PNG two out of three times and looked better than Doty all three times they faced off. Just Saying.

Mike
09-09-2011, 03:16 AM
On a second note I have to point this out. Dionte Forney beat Doty and PNG two out of three times and looked better than Doty all three times they faced off. Just Saying.

That's just that old bulldog love coming out in you Big .... ;) but I do give Forney credit for last years Ned vs Png game. He came to play that game.

theTestament
09-09-2011, 03:17 AM
My God!!!! You just do not GET IT!!! This has nothing and never did have anything to do with DOTY! Pay attention. Geeeeeesh!

CardAmbassador
09-09-2011, 03:23 AM
I'm over the Doty stuff now, theTestament is done with it too. Let's move on. LU's got 3 quarterbacks, all three have something I'm impressed with.

I would have to say JJ right now is the one I'm most impressed with though. I've gone back over alot of the articles and his stats are right there with or above the other two, I don't think he has had a single scrimmage where both the other guys beat him out. And he has had scrimmages where he was the best guy on the field.

Alot is going to be answered Saturday, can't wait!!!!

Go Big Red!! Looking forward to you're return to The Cage next week!!

theTestament
09-09-2011, 03:29 AM
I'm over the Doty stuff now, theTestament is done with it too. Let's move on. LU's got 3 quarterbacks, all three have something I'm impressed with.

I would have to say JJ right now is the one I'm most impressed with though. I've gone back over alot of the articles and his stats are right there with or above the other two, I don't think he has had a single scrimmage where both the other guys beat him out. And he has had scrimmages where he was the best guy on the field.

Alot is going to be answered Saturday, can't wait!!!!

Go Big Red!! Looking forward to you're return to The Cage next week!!

Agree, and yes, JJ is my vote also. I will see you at The Hill next week!! I like The Hill better.

lu cards
09-09-2011, 03:33 AM
i think we can all agree that doty would have been a nice p/u for lu.it didnt work out for whatever reason.my personal opinion is we were short on scholarships last year and had 6 qb's on the roster.really was no need to sign a qb.forney was signed as a qb but we all know that wasnt what lamar signed him for.it worked out great for doty and lamar cant sign every local kid that can play at this level.who knows maybe one day doty wants to come home and lu has a need at qb.i hope everyone supports whoever the starting qb ends up being.i really liked what prewitt did last year and still feel he gives us the best option to win this year.jj is our future.he's got all the skills to be great,time will tell if he is as good as i think.ill be honest i lost all my faith in bevil last year but he has the most experience and has the ability to be a good qb.i am 100% behind him this saturday but if he plays like he did the majority of the time last year he will be back at receiver.lastly these coaches want to keep there jobs.i dont think theres any preferential treatment.they gave all 3 a shot and made there decision.bottom line is we are deep at qb and can go to war with any of them.

05BigRed
09-09-2011, 03:33 AM
Report just in....doty stated in an Oregon newspaper he plans on transferring back home to play for lamar!

LOL..just kidding...glad you guys are working it out...now talk about qb controversy if that happened!

CardAmbassador
09-09-2011, 03:36 AM

Wow, McVey passes up Chavis and Hannah as a true freshmen, I knew that kid was good! Well I've only known it for about a week, but still, that's exciting to hear. As deep as we are at TE it's good to have a freshmen start, it means he's good and a hard worker.

lu cards
09-09-2011, 03:44 AM
i expect chavis to play a bunch this saturday.only concern i have is braden thomas isnt listed on the 2 deep.

CardAmbassador
09-09-2011, 03:50 AM
i expect chavis to play a bunch this saturday.only concern i have is braden thomas isnt listed on the 2 deep.

Cards did you see BR360's post? Apparently Braden was fine for the TC game but the coaches held him out because it wasn't worth the risk.

I expect him to be in the line up. But I'm an optimist :laugh:

lu cards
09-09-2011, 03:55 AM
i read that but expected to see him listed.not sure if the 2 deep roster really means much because they have marcus jackson listed as second string.kendrick prejean looks to be healthy also.

bigred360
09-09-2011, 10:33 AM

lu cards, I read he had a hamstring injury and they wanted to rest him last week. The only thing I can figure is it (injury) hasn't responded to treatment like they thought it would.

Sorry to give out information untrue.