PDA

View Full Version : LU falls to South Alabama

CardAmbassador
09-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Everything seemed ripe for change.
The Lamar University football team opened the second half with the ball and quickly marched to the South Alabama 1.

Another comeback, like that memorable one last season at Southeastern Louisiana, appeared possible.
And then it happened.

On second-and-goal from the 1, a snap from center Kyle Gillam to quarterback Andre Bevil landed on the grass.

The Cardinals lost the ball. And with that, they lost whatever reasonable hope they had for a comeback in a 30-8 loss to South Alabama at Ladd-Peebles Stadium.
"That was our comeback," center Kyle Gillam said. "That was our momentum. Then something like that happens, that just killed it."

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/Lamar-falls-at-South-Alabama-2164754.php#ixzz1XergtXBB

Cplatt
09-11-2011, 02:50 PM
They just had better talent. They spanked us from whistle to whistle. Hats off to them.They will make noise in the Sun Belt. We just need more talent to compete at the next level.
Cplatt

LU1991
09-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Everything seemed ripe for change.
The Lamar University football team opened the second half with the ball and quickly marched to the South Alabama 1.

Another comeback, like that memorable one last season at Southeastern Louisiana, appeared possible.
And then it happened.

On second-and-goal from the 1, a snap from center Kyle Gillam to quarterback Andre Bevil landed on the grass.

The Cardinals lost the ball. And with that, they lost whatever reasonable hope they had for a comeback in a 30-8 loss to South Alabama at Ladd-Peebles Stadium.
"That was our comeback," center Kyle Gillam said. "That was our momentum. Then something like that happens, that just killed it."

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/Lamar-falls-at-South-Alabama-

2164754.php#ixzz1XergtXBB

The play before the fumble appeared to be a touchdown by everyone but the refs. I'm not blaming the refs for the lost but we did have some bad calls at critical times. Just saying.

jdcurran235
09-11-2011, 05:55 PM
We had an opportunity to show what we where worth and we did not get it done. But again I still have to say that we played with intensity till the very end of the game and this gives me hope for the rest of the season. The only thing I was hoping for was finishing above .500 and I think we can still make that happen even thought the schedule is tougher. The biggest issue is the same issue as last year. QB and line. Hopefully our line will start to play to its potential and we can get solidified at the QB position. I don't think we know anything about our defense until our offense start to hold on to the ball for at least 40% of the time. I still think we have potential for the rest of the season

CardAmbassador
09-11-2011, 06:13 PM
I agree, we had an opportunity to show something and we didn't capitalize, we didn't correct the one mistake we knew about after the TC game, (penalties).

I disagree with some statements that they just had better players. From what it sounded like to me they were better prepared and executed their game plan with no costly mistakes.

We drove down the field on them on the first drive of the second half. We proved we could move the ball when we had our head in the game but it wasn't in the game. Dropped passes, a fumble and penalties all lost us this game.

They didn't quit. There is still hope, but they better have more desire to perfect their game in the coming weeks than they showed last night or it's going to be a long season.

And from the article and LU1991, it sounds like it wasn't Bevil who lost this game, not saying he should be the starter, I've been pretty clear that I would like another player, but we can't blame one player for a loss that the entire team contributed to.

bigred360
09-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Gillam said he bobbled the snap before Bevil could put his hands around the ball.

"'Dre never got it," Gillam said

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/Lamar-falls-at-South-Alabama-2164754.php#ixzz1XfmKqbNU

Glad Kyle made this statement so people didn't blame Bevil. Very mature of him to take the blame as he is a stud center.

Having not heard the second half I can't really make too many comments about the way Lamar played but reading we had 11 penalties for almost 100 yards and only 2-13 on 3rd down. I agree the defense was on the field way too much.

In the first half two penalties kept USA drives alive with a personal foul and pass interference and that lead to 14 points.