PDA

View Full Version : Grades In...South Alabama Report Card

BRI Staff
09-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Tough Game all around. Too many penalties and mental mistakes killed any chance the Cardinals had a win.

LINK: South Alabama Grades (http://bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=407&catid=1)

Thoughts?

lu cards
09-12-2011, 01:01 AM
special teams was definetly an F-several crappy punts,kick off out of bounds,logan letting the kick off hit the ground

coaching f-i saw some things in the few practices i went to i didnt like and it seems to be carrying to the field.got to clean the sloppy play up.

other than that i agree we the other grades.

CardAmbassador
09-12-2011, 01:20 AM
Overall game performance D-

QB's C
WR's D - couldn't catch passes they should have to keep drives alive
RB's C+ - Not a great average in the run game but that is more on the line
OL D- - ditto what mike said
LB - C+ - Were really getting after it early, probably were asked to do to much, IMO they were the best part of the defense
Secondary F+ - Couldn't have been much worse here, gave up alot of 3rd and long's.

The penalties are on everyone coaches and players, they need to stress this stuff more. I remember the USA coach kept saying sloppy play in week 1 was not South Alabama football. That has to be our stance too. Sloppy play is not Lamar football.

Passing attack was just no where to be seen, wish we would have got a good look at one of the other two QB's to see if someone else had more spark, JJ only threw it twice so can't really compare his stats with Bevil.

West
09-12-2011, 02:58 AM
I don't know if I would call 6-18, 97 yards, and 0 TD an "average" game, but overall good grades.

I was not at the game, and I haven't looked all over the red zone to see if this has been mentioned but from what I can tell, we lack leadership... big time.

I'm extremely disappointed.

LU1991
09-12-2011, 12:09 PM
I don't know if I would call 6-18, 97 yards, and 0 TD an "average" game, but overall good grades.

I was not at the game, and I haven't looked all over the red zone to see if this has been mentioned but from what I can tell, we lack leadership... big time.

I'm extremely disappointed.

Bevil did have 4-5 long passes that were on the money and dropped. I have not been a huge Bevil fan but I did not see him do anything that would cause Coach Woodard to pull him from the number one spot. Like it or not I believe the coaches are going with experience. That being said, the team had no spark and did lack leadership, something Prewitt brought to the team last year.

CardAmbassador
09-12-2011, 01:23 PM
The game was supposed to measure progress.

The Lamar University football team was supposed to show just how far it had come in a year.

With South Alabama being the first of five teams the Cardinals faced last season, the game Saturday was supposed to provide optimism.

What happened instead?

The Cardinals left Ladd-Peebles Stadium looking like an undisciplined team unsure of what to do.
The defense couldn't get off the field because of blown coverage assignments. Penalties continued to mount - 24 so far this season, more than in any two-game stretch last season. And the special teams?

Those were so bad coach Ray Woodard called it "a conspiracy."

Read More: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/Dabe-Mistakes-must-be-curbed-for-Lamar-to-see-2166327.php

bigred360
09-12-2011, 01:48 PM
I don't know what is going on but my post got deleted. Mike can you see if something is going on here?

McNeese75
09-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Read More: www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/...r-to-see-2166327.php

I'm afraid Woodard is going to find out South Alabama was NOT the best team on the Card's schedule this year. There seem to be plenty of high flying offense in the SLC and some pretty salty defenses are going to show up as well.

bigred360
09-12-2011, 01:54 PM
75, you might know my HS coach David Williams as he graduated from McNeese in 1975 and started coaching at LC-M in 1976. He is originally from Sulphur, La.

Now, to your post. The Cowboys are going to be really good this year but I'm not sure they could beat USA in Alabama.

coachacola
09-12-2011, 02:44 PM
I don't know what is going on but my post got deleted. Mike can you see if something is going on here?

That seems to be happening a lot lately. There must be some server squirrels causing mischief! :laugh:

Mike
09-12-2011, 02:47 PM

I have no idea 360. I didn't do it and I can't find any deleted post in the system. With what happened to the game thread Sat who knows.

I do apologize.

05BigRed
09-12-2011, 03:02 PM

I'm afraid Woodard is going to find out South Alabama was NOT the best team on the Card's schedule this year. There seem to be plenty of high flying offense in the SLC and some pretty salty defenses are going to show up as well.

I have to somewhat agree with your statement...i know mcneese, sam houston, and sfa are going to have a solid team all the way around...if we show up to play these teams like we did as USA we are in for a rough season...we are lacking leadership at this point in my opinion...we have the individual talent, we just need to put it together as a unit

bigred360
09-12-2011, 04:38 PM

I have no idea 360. I didn't do it and I can't find any deleted post in the system. With what happened to the game thread Sat who knows.

I do apologize.

Thanks for checking, it's not your fault and the post didn't say much.

CardAmbassador
09-12-2011, 05:01 PM

I do apologize.

This also happened in a thread within the Kampus Korner section yesterday. There is definitely something wrong because post keep getting deleted at random.

AggiesAreWe
09-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Don't tell me you guys have a phantom moderator too.

We finally figured out who that was when the owner checked the moderation log. He is no longer with us.;)

CardinalClaw
09-12-2011, 06:49 PM

I think if UCA keeps playing the way they are right now they will be a harder team to beat the USA. I caught a little bit of their game against LaTech an the Bears looked really good.

JJWooten
09-12-2011, 08:03 PM
Best team they'll face? Not by a long shot.

USA has only played West Alabama, a DII school out of the Gulf South Conference. They played at home in Mobile and won 20-10. West Alabama isn't even ranked in the Top 25 of DII.

USA is NOT the best team the Cards will face this season. McNeese and UCA are. Period.

CardAmbassador
09-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Best team they'll face? Not by a long shot.

USA has only played West Alabama, a DII school out of the Gulf South Conference. They played at home in Mobile and won 20-10. West Alabama isn't even ranked in the Top 25 of DII.

USA is NOT the best team the Cards will face this season. McNeese and UCA are. Period.

I agree for the most part here. UCA and McNeese are better teams, although it would be a mistake to look too much into their score against West Alabama, they did do pretty good once their running backs were in the game. It's like LU this week, I don't think anyone that really follows the team closely thinks that we were just out matched athletically in this game, We defeated our selves with penalties, mistakes and dropped passes. I do give credit to USA though, they're a well coached team, the Cards looked bad against USA, I hope we can work hard and get to where we need to be to salvage the season because this weekends performance will win us no games once conference starts.