PDA

View Full Version : another qb thread

05BigRed
09-13-2011, 02:07 AM
I know the qb issue has been beat to death on here so I hope this thread doesn't start too much controversy...I'm no football coach but have decent football knowledge...we have 3 pretty good qb's...thus far it doesn't appear any of them are drastically better than the other...jj has 4 years to play, prewitt 3,Bevil 1...why wouldn't you go ahead and choose either jj or prewitt as the starter?...they get great experience and by the time they are junior/senior we have a seasoned qb ready to lead the team...no offense but I don't think Bevil is.going to lead us into anything more than jj or prewitt can this year so why not give them the experience?...I personally think I would put.jj in because of his athleticism and ability to scramble but that's beside the point...please school me...thoughts?

coachacola
09-13-2011, 02:15 AM
I watched the Coach Woodard Show and he said we'll be seeing a lot more of JJ this year. My take is that Bevil and JJ fit the offense better than Prewitt, and Bevil is holding the starting spot until JJ is ready to take over.

bigred360
09-13-2011, 02:17 AM
I'm not going to debate the QB issue but it is crazy not to have a guy that runs a sub 4.4 forty on the field somewhere. He has the ability to take it to the house anytime he runs with the ball. If he isn't playing QB then he needs to be playing at the slot receiver position with Marcus Jackson and J.J. Hayes at the wide outs.

Obviously, I'm talking about Jeremy Johnson.

05BigRed
09-13-2011, 02:39 AM
I watched the Coach Woodard Show and he said we'll be seeing a lot more of JJ this year. My take is that Bevil and JJ fit the offense better than Prewitt, and Bevil is holding the starting spot until JJ is ready to take over.

I just watched that show...I must have missed that statement...the one on kfdm.com with 5 segments?

Good point about a guy with that much speed...a senior college qb with 3 years of experience could do great things...just saying...I know his passing has a lot to be desired but let him make mistakes this year...It will take a few games to adjust but I think it will be well worth it in the long-run...

cardinal
09-13-2011, 03:28 AM
What offense? The hand it off to a running back offense or the throw an incomplete pass offense? If you want a qb that can throw then neither of those two fit. I am amazed at how prewitt is getting so totally screwed! I do agree that we could get jj the call in other ways.

CardAmbassador
09-13-2011, 03:53 AM
What offense? The hand it off to a running back offense or the throw an incomplete pass offense? If you want a qb that can throw then neither of those two fit. I am amazed at how prewitt is getting so totally screwed! I do agree that we could get jj the call in other ways.

I know you're the big Prewitt guy, I would have liked to see him start too but here's a question. How are his #'s that much better than Bevil's (excluding TO's) from last year? My one complaint about Bevil was TO's (that was due to his form IMO as his body was easy to read last year) Yes Prewitt has better passing percentage but it wasn't a huge difference and Bevil makes up for that with picking up a little ground with his feet. Now it looks like Bevil may be cured of the TO (still need more proof) and he's throwing it on the money but his receivers are dropping passes, that will happen no matter who plays. It's just a question, so slow down and give me an answer I'm just trying to guague where you feel Prewitt is superior.

I'll just tell you my thoughts on Bevil so far this year, he doesn't look much different than Prewitt at the end of last year. Prewitt was good at managing the game, Bevil managed the game pretty well this weekend IMO. He had zero TO's (not going to count the fumble as his) he put his passes on target and he threw the ball away when he didn't have anywhere to go. That's not a play maker's performance, not a game losers performance either.

As for the OP's question: Devil's advocacy for keeping Bevil in. In an ideal world we could throw out our younger guys for a year and call a few games a learning experience, but it's year 2 and we are already members of the SLC, the coaches think Bevil's better so they're giving him a shot. They're concerned about immediate wins because like it or not Woodard's now being evaluated, last year was a free pass but this year will count in his evaluation. (notice how I say this year and not just the first one or two games of the season)

My opinion, I would have liked to roll with the younger guys anyways, I would have started Prewitt and slowly transitioned JJ in if I thought he was better (which I have to admit I do) But I'm not a coach, and I'm glad I'm not, alot of people are going to micro analyze everything you do.

TBonesLU
09-13-2011, 12:23 PM
I know the qb issue has been beat to death on here so I hope this thread doesn't start too much controversy...I'm no football coach but have decent football knowledge...we have 3 pretty good qb's...thus far it doesn't appear any of them are drastically better than the other...jj has 4 years to play, prewitt 3,Bevil 1...why wouldn't you go ahead and choose either jj or prewitt as the starter?...they get great experience and by the time they are junior/senior we have a seasoned qb ready to lead the team...no offense but I don't think Bevil is.going to lead us into anything more than jj or prewitt can this year so why not give them the experience?...I personally think I would put.jj in because of his athleticism and ability to scramble but that's beside the point...please school me...thoughts?

A sound post...finally someone who is not bashing his team's players while getting the point across.

AAW, I deleted my account on the other forum. You guys run a good ship over there, but I can't continue getting worked up over idiot rednecks that just want their guy in or nothing. The statement "I want Prewitt in the game or I want the team to lose so I can say 'I told you so'" is complete garbage.

AggiesAreWe
09-13-2011, 12:28 PM
Jeremy just needs experience, that is all he is lacking. His skill set is much better than the other two. Give Jeremy a few more games, maybe a start or two, and you will see this guy take off and the team will be much better for it.

I totally understand why Woodard is going with Bevil and I am okay with it. Early on, the team needs the experienced QB and that's what Bevil brings.

Bevil will be okay, but with time, Jeremy can take this team to another level. It's my personal belief he has the greater upside of all the QB's on the roster.

Just a matter of time.

AggiesAreWe
09-13-2011, 12:31 PM

A sound post...finally someone who is not bashing his team's players while getting the point across.

AAW, I deleted my account on the other forum. You guys run a good ship over there, but I can't continue getting worked up over idiot rednecks that just want their guy in or nothing. The statement "I want Prewitt in the game or I want the team to lose so I can say 'I told you so'" is complete garbage.

Sorry that you deleted your account, wish you would reconsider, but I do understand.

You are correct, there are some very selfish folks with obvious personal vendettas. They are not true fans of anything.

coachacola
09-13-2011, 12:53 PM

Sorry that you deleted your account, wish you would reconsider, but I do understand.

You are correct, there are some very selfish folks with obvious personal vendettas. They are not true fans of anything.

I understand the frustration of posting on the other forum. I still post over there every now and then because there are some knowledgeable posters over there, but things can get a bit too personal for my taste a lot of times.

LU1991
09-13-2011, 12:55 PM
I was surprised that Woodard picked Bevil over Prewitt or JJ but I do understand the experience factor. I would have gone with Prewitt but I am also okay with Bevil starting. The stats don't show it but he did have a decent game against USA. The recievers have to catch the ball when it's between the numbers and they didn't. He will need to step it up a notch in the leadership role to get the offense the spark they need.

CardAmbassador
09-13-2011, 01:35 PM
I was surprised that Woodard picked Bevil over Prewitt or JJ but I do understand the experience factor. I would have gone with Prewitt but I am also okay with Bevil starting. The stats don't show it but he did have a decent game against USA. The recievers have to catch the ball when it's between the numbers and they didn't. He will need to step it up a notch in the leadership role to get the offense the spark they need.

I agree, I really wish I could see video of the game but it seems Bevil performed soundly against the Jags.

JJ definitely has the most upside, I know he has flashes of poor accuracy but I felt for the most part during training camp and even in the spring his accuracy is fine. His running game is un paralleled by the other two and he has the quickest release of the three. I'm happy he will be here for 3 more years after this one.

05BigRed
09-13-2011, 03:00 PM

I understand the frustration of posting on the other forum. I still post over there every now and then because there are some knowledgeable posters over there, but things can get a bit too personal for my taste a lot of times.

which other forum are we talking about?...didnt know there was another

CardAmbassador
09-13-2011, 03:04 PM

That would be setxsport.com, they have a Lamar University sub forum.

EDIT: as for deleting accounts, it's not really going to stop people. Forums are here so people can discuss things and in some cases those discussions turn into arguments. It's going to happen because people are going to disagree.

Let's just support Lamar, GO LU!

05BigRed
09-13-2011, 03:07 PM
gotcha i have been on that one just didnt realize it...yeah ive read the threads on there about prewitt...ridiculous

TBonesLU
09-13-2011, 04:15 PM

That would be setxsport.com, they have a Lamar University sub forum.

EDIT: as for deleting accounts, it's not really going to stop people. Forums are here so people can discuss things and in some cases those discussions turn into arguments. It's going to happen because people are going to disagree.

Let's just support Lamar, GO LU!

I have no problem with disagreements or arguments for that matter. But the quote I posted was real. That is completely uncalled for. If people want to cheer on a guy, do so, but not at the expense of the whole team. If your alma mater is Lamar and you are proud of it, prove it (not you, CA; anyone)! If you are a closet UT fan that went to Lamar, then get on their board. I don't have a problem with that. My problem is with people who say they are fans and clearly are nothing of the sort.

I didn't delete my account because they will quit posting like that. I deleted it because I want to keep myself from getting worked up and stooping to that level. There's no sense in it. I know that by not having an account to "post back" at someone, I can take the high road and keep my mouth shut. Otherwise, these high school football loving sorts will get the better of me, and I'm not going to do it anymore. The forum is great. It's the few people that frequent it that ruin it for the rest of us...the fans.

AggiesAreWe
09-13-2011, 07:14 PM
What happened to the "Jeremy Johnson to 3rd string?" thread?

bigred360
09-13-2011, 07:34 PM
Yea, that has been happening around here a few times. That is why I changed my password and I suggest that the other moderators and maybe even Mike considers changing their password.

That is the only way I can figure someone is deleting post and threads because that is not what we are about.

TBonesLU
09-13-2011, 08:08 PM

Wait, what? Is he really going to be 3rd string or is someone saying that is what they think?

bigred360
09-13-2011, 08:30 PM

Wait, what? Is he really going to be 3rd string or is someone saying that is what they think?

He threw the only TD last week. He isn't going to 3rd string. Someone was just attempting to get a rise out of some people.

AggiesAreWe
09-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Well, the thread was posted by the member "BRI Staff". Figured it was legit.

coachacola
09-13-2011, 08:36 PM

I wonder if someone has hacked into the BRI Staff account? Maybe that account needs a new password!

bigred360
09-13-2011, 08:56 PM

I wonder if someone has hacked into the BRI Staff account? Maybe that account needs a new password!

True coachacola, you might be right. AAW, we were told to only post articles and such with the BRI account and not to give opinions. It wasn't created for that.

So if someone made a comment and didn't post an article that is why is was probably deleted.

AggiesAreWe
09-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Well the post stated what the title of thread was, in a question as well. It was followed by "will try to get confirmation".

Then the thread disappeared.

BTW, so this "BRI Staff" member is a multitude of members, not just one?

CardAmbassador
09-14-2011, 02:08 PM
It looks like people would agree more since there is definitely a consensus on the beaumont enterprise poll over who should start.

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/09/13/poll-who-should-be-the-starting-qb/

05BigRed
09-14-2011, 02:49 PM
It looks like people would agree more since there is definitely a consensus on the beaumont enterprise poll over who should start.

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/09/13/poll-who-should-be-the-starting-qb/

interesting...even all the fans realize who has the most ability at the QB spot

Mike
09-14-2011, 02:50 PM

True coachacola, you might be right. AAW, we were told to only post articles and such with the BRI account and not to give opinions. It wasn't created for that.

So if someone made a comment and didn't post an article that is why is was probably deleted.

This is part of the reason I deleted that thread. I was posting some lamar content on the bri staff account yesterday when I was told the news of JJ being listed 3rd string. I posted the news and realized I was signed into the "staff" account.

Then I thought about the heated discussions the QB situation has been bringing lately so I decided to wait and post it when the chart was released. Dabe put it in his blog, so now its out there so I'm sure it'll be discussed.

So to make a long story short....there is no hacker on the BRI Staff account. I shouldve let you all know but I've been hammered busy at work.

Mike

CardAmbassador
09-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Here is something we should be celebrating right?

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/Bevil-sets-personal-passer-rating-mark-2176718.php