PDA

View Full Version : **Official: Cardinals v. Incarnate Word - Battle of the Bird**

CardAmbassador
09-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Lamar Cardinals v. Incarnate Word Cardinals
September 17th 2011 - 7:00 p.m.
Provost Umphrey Stadium (http://www.lamarcardinals.com/facilities/facilities-provost-umphrey-stadium.html) - Beaumont, Texas

Game Notes
Incarnate Word (1-1)
Game Notes - None at this time
About USA - Incarnate Word wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_the_Incarnate_Word)
Twitter Feed - none
Roster - Incarnate Word Roster (http://www.cardinalathletics.com/roster.aspx?path=football)
Fan Site - None

Lamar (1-1)
Game Notes - Not released at time of post
Twitter - @LamarCards
Roster - LU Roster (http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/lama-m-footbl-mtt.html)
Fan Site - Here!

Other Helpful Links
BE Lamar Sports (http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/)

Coverage
Online TV - LU All-Access (http://www.lamarcardinals.com/allaccess/)
Fox 4 - Live TV
KLVI AM 560 - KLVI Player (http://www.klvi.com/mediaplayer/)

Weather
Weather (http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/USTX0089?dayNum=4)

Mostly Sunny with a high of 91 F.

Ticket info
Buy Tickets (https://www.ticketreturn.com/prod2/buy.asp?EventID=66935&SponsorID=3473)

CardAmbassador
09-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Interesting notes:
Incarnate Word is in their third season of playing football.
Incarnate Word lost their 2010 home opener to Langston (28-20) (The Cardinals defeated Langston 14-0 in 2010)

Melvin Adderton of Ozen signed with the IW Cards last year.

Incarnate Word's coach is former Lamar assistant Mike Santiago.

LUSportsFan
09-13-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm looking forward to this game and hope the weather stays sunny.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Saturday's game when I can GET MY RED ON and not have it covered up with a poncho.

I'm looking forward to seeing the team play their best and eliminate the penalties. I'm looking forward to the fans doing their best supporting the team. I'm looking forward to the band supporting the team, representing the University, and representing Southeast Texas. I'm looking forward to the smells of all that good food the tailgaters are enjoying.

LET'S GO BIG RED!!!!!

By the way, I cringed yesterday when I checked out my weather on demand app and it showed 70% rain in the Saturday forecast. I think it must be using the projections from the week preceding the Texas College game because the app video forecasts are more in line with those of other sources.

LU4LIFE
09-14-2011, 12:03 AM
I have counted all the tickets that are still available online an I counted 3,242 tickets still remaining.

jdcurran235
09-14-2011, 12:25 AM
I hope it is a sellout. We need to have a sellout on a game we win so that people keep coming back.

CardAmbassador
09-14-2011, 12:41 AM
I hope it is a sellout. We need to have a sellout on a game we win so that people keep coming back.

It's very possible remember there were around 2000 remaining on the Friday before the first home game and then the official count ended up being 15.3k in just one day, that was with terrible weather. It's unfortunate that I can't go but things are getting pretty busy around here.

We will either sell out or get very very close. All the other home games can be sell outs IMO.

BRI Staff
09-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Pre Game Festivities:

Pre-game fun for the kids!! This Saturday LU Land will be set up in the grass lot beside Subway from 3:30 to 5:30pm. The AGS Tent will have inflatable’s for the kids!
That’s not all! Gator Country will be bringing out several of their alligators and snakes! Make sure you don’t miss this photo-op for the kids!!

It has been confirmed!!
"The Ramblin Boys" will be the pre-game tailgate entertainment for this weekends game vs Incarnate Word!!
Check them out on their Facebook Page! http://www.facebook.com/theramblinboys?sk=photos

CardAmbassador
09-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Game Weather Update:

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/USTX0089?dayNum=3

Partly Cloudy

High of 90 Low of 70

20% chance of precipitation.

Just hold off rain, hold off!

CardinalClaw
09-14-2011, 05:34 PM
I don't see this game selling out, there are a lot of tickets still available an it does not look like they are selling a lot of tickets.

BRI Staff
09-14-2011, 05:34 PM
2011 Lamar Stats

Players: 84
Avg Weight: 226 lbs
Avg Height: 6'1"

Avg by position
Pos | Height | Weight |
QB 6'1 186
RB 5'8" 179
WR 6'0" 177
OL 6'3" 294
TE 6'3" 238
DE 6'3" 240
DL 6'2" 261
DB 5'10" 178
DS 6'2" 240

Avg 5 Largest OL: 331
Avg 4 Largest DL: 291

2011 Incarnate Word Stats
89 Players
Avg Weight 217
Avg Height 6'1"

Avg by position
Pos | Height | Weight |
QB 6'1 207
RB 5'10" 194
WR 6'0" 176
OL 6'3" 281
TE 6'3" 227
DE 6'2" 220
DL 6'1" 257
DB 5'11" 168
DS

Avg 5 Largest OL: 303
Avg 4 Largest DL: 277

Note:players with two positions were only calculated at their first listed position

lu cards
09-14-2011, 06:22 PM
Pre Game Festivities: saw on face book that "hannas reef" is playing at one of the beer company tents.there a really good band used to be called key west.

Pre-game fun for the kids!! This Saturday LU Land will be set up in the grass lot beside Subway from 3:30 to 5:30pm. The AGS Tent will have inflatable’s for the kids!
That’s not all! Gator Country will be bringing out several of their alligators and snakes! Make sure you don’t miss this photo-op for the kids!!

It has been confirmed!!
"The Ramblin Boys" will be the pre-game tailgate entertainment for this weekends game vs Incarnate Word!!
Check them out on their Facebook Page! http://www.facebook.com/theramblinboys?sk=photos

LU4LIFE
09-14-2011, 10:53 PM
The ticket count is at 3,150.

Big T
09-14-2011, 11:00 PM
is that avalible tics? If so ain't that about the same as two week about this time? I bet some are waiting to see what the weather is going to do before they get tics. There will probably be a very large walk up.

LUSportsFan
09-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Right now, the weather is looking really good for Saturday. If there aren't any changes, it should be a great day for football.

LU4LIFE
09-15-2011, 12:44 AM
is that avalible tics? If so ain't that about the same as two week about this time? I bet some are waiting to see what the weather is going to do before they get tics. There will probably be a very large walk up.

Yeah that's the available tickets.

jdcurran235
09-17-2011, 05:45 PM
ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!

CardAmbassador
09-17-2011, 06:15 PM
ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!

YES! GO BIG RED!!!

CardAmbassador
09-17-2011, 08:13 PM
How's the tailgating looking?

coachacola
09-17-2011, 11:24 PM
14-7 LU in the first.

LU1991
09-17-2011, 11:33 PM
not good...Garrett is hurt ....looks like a shoulder

Mike
09-17-2011, 11:37 PM
14-14 defense gives up another 3rd and long on UIW scoring drive.

Big T
09-17-2011, 11:37 PM
Ummm... Somebody needs to go find the defence and tell them that the game has started.

coachacola
09-17-2011, 11:41 PM
LU offense is driving again. Johnson is the QB now and made a nice run to the 10.

coachacola
09-17-2011, 11:43 PM
JJ to JJ for a touchdown! 21-14 LU.

jdcurran235
09-17-2011, 11:53 PM
how is the crowd

coachacola
09-18-2011, 12:02 AM
Almost a sellout. LU's defense sucks.

Mike
09-18-2011, 12:03 AM
Not many open seats. Good atmosphere tonight. Losing garrett has hurt lu's offense and secondary giving up too many plays again.

LU1991
09-18-2011, 12:13 AM
defense.....uuuuhhhhgggggg

jdcurran235
09-18-2011, 12:17 AM
how was tailgating

coachacola
09-18-2011, 12:34 AM
35-20 halftime. Bevil's having a good game. Just need the defense to step up.

jdcurran235
09-18-2011, 12:44 AM
and we dont have 100 yards worth of penalties

coachacola
09-18-2011, 12:49 AM
Lamar's had a pretty balanced game so far. Jeremy Johnson played in several series and made some good plays. Bevil doesn't seem to be making the mistakes like he did last year. The defense and special teams both need a lot of work or Lamar will lose big in some conference games.

TBonesLU
09-18-2011, 12:49 AM
Not many open seats. Good atmosphere tonight. Losing garrett has hurt lu's offense and secondary giving up too many plays again.

Jordan Garrett is gone? What happened?

LU1991
09-18-2011, 01:02 AM

looked like he hurt his shoulder reaching for the endzone

TBonesLU
09-18-2011, 01:03 AM

looked like he hurt his shoulder reaching for the endzone

Oh, then that's my misunderstanding. It's Depauldrick that's hurt, not Jordan.

TBonesLU
09-18-2011, 01:05 AM
Good run, Venson!

TBonesLU
09-18-2011, 01:06 AM
Good run, Venson!

And Johnson!

coachacola
09-18-2011, 01:16 AM
42-20 LU. Good drive led by Johnson. Looks like Johnson is playing better and better as the game goes along. Bevil has already thrown an interception.

coachacola
09-18-2011, 01:18 AM
LU defense playing a lot better now. 3 and out for IUW.

NorthoftheBorder
09-18-2011, 01:34 AM
Defense didn't look all that good on that drive by IW to go with a botched defense on a 2 point conversion.

coachacola
09-18-2011, 01:38 AM
special teams suck!!

TBonesLU
09-18-2011, 01:38 AM
WTF! Let's get the kickoffs in our hands please!

LU1991
09-18-2011, 01:52 AM
someone please tell me its over

BigRed98
09-18-2011, 02:05 AM
Well, LU did NOT win easily tonight. One thing is for certain . . . Woodward makes an excellent D-II coach. If this is the best we have, SLC play is going to be ugly and we'll fit early predictions nicely as we sit in last place. Forget FBS, we will likely have a difficult time in FCS.

LU1991
09-18-2011, 02:11 AM
not pretty....but IW was a very disciplined team

coachacola
09-18-2011, 02:17 AM
Disappointing win.

AggiesAreWe
09-18-2011, 02:42 AM
Disappointing win.

To say the least.;)

LU defense has some real issues.

jdcurran235
09-18-2011, 02:47 AM
Defense and special teams

CardinalClaw
09-18-2011, 02:56 AM
Yeah if we dont start playing a lot better then we have been we won't win another game this season. Our defense was terrible especially our run defense. I'm just at a lose for words with how bad we have been playing an it's just really disappointing.

LU4LIFE
09-18-2011, 02:56 AM
The defense and special teams sucked it up the whole game, and IMO Bevel played alright most of the game but then he threw that dumb pass into double coverage which was picked off when he had I think Franks wide open for the first down. I had very high expectations for this team going into this season, but after these last two games those expectations have dwindled down to almost nothing. I hope they prove me wrong I will be in the stands cheering them on, but they have some major improving to do.

AggiesAreWe
09-18-2011, 03:01 AM
QB position is not the issue.

Defense and special teams is the issue.

Also, I thought the O-line did not do as good a job as I expected them to do against this defensive front.

CardAmbassador
09-18-2011, 03:12 AM
I'm amazed at how badly we played this team. Someone said that IW was a well disciplined team, that is the problem, we are not.

What was the environment like? How many fans showed up?

CardinalClaw
09-18-2011, 03:20 AM
I'm amazed at how badly we played this team. Someone said that IW was a well disciplined team, that is the problem, we are not.

There was a good turn out an the environment was great until everyone figured out the CARDS were not going to beat up on IW.

BRI Staff
09-18-2011, 03:29 AM
Lamar Survives Scare:

BEAUMONT. - Lamar University scored 42 points through three quarters Saturday night to seize a 22-point lead then held off a spirited University of Incarnate rally to post a 45-35 victory before a crowd of 15,367 in Provost Umphrey Stadium.

In improving to 2-1 on the season, Lamar rolled up 469 yards of total offense, but the host Cardinals allowed UIW to score two touchdowns in a span of 48 seconds early in the fourth quarter.

That spurt pulled the visiting Cardinals to within 42-35, but the host Cardinals put it away with a 31-yard Justin Stout field goal which was followed a few moments later by a clutch interception by linebacker Jacody Coleman.

"It was a very strange game," said Ray Woodard, Lamar's head coach. "In the first half, we did some good things offensively (to build a 35-20 lead), but we had trouble stopping the run defensively.

"We made some adjustments defensively at halftime, and they helped. We didn't stop the running game in the second half, but we definitely slowed it down."

LINK: http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/091811aaa.html

BigRedTrack
09-18-2011, 03:40 AM

Crowd was into the game at times, more than the players. There was no intensity shown on the field. We were a very righthanded offense - very few plays to the left side. Right side of the offensive line really struggled - especially on pass plays. We did substitute quite abit, but so did they. In the first half our pass defense made their quarterback look like a cross between Tom Brady & Eli Manning. I think he had 2 incompletions that was his fault.

Glad we played them in Beaumont, they probably would have beaten us in San Antonio.

CardAmbassador
09-18-2011, 03:54 AM
Where was Marcus Jackson, he didn't record a stat tonight. Also looks like Garrett saw limited action, why?

bigred360
09-18-2011, 03:56 AM
Garrett got hurt early in the game. Jackson as well as several other starters didn't play but that is no excuse for playing a game like they did tonight!!!

CardAmbassador
09-23-2011, 04:09 PM
I finally got to watch all of the game last night on the all access player.

This game had some incredibly bright spots but also had some pitiful play. Positives: the offense looked good most of the night, the play calling in the first half was more diverse than it was last year or in the TC game. Guys like Kye Hildreth and Payden McVey are young and will contribute on this team for a long time. I don't remember seeing any bad play by receivers the only offensive mistake that cost us was Bevil's interception.

On Bevil. Can we finally put this to rest, name him the starter, he has definitely improved over last years performance. He put together several good drives and kept plays alive when needed by scrambling, he also threw the ball away if he didn't have anything. Johnson did great when he was in too I agree with him at #2 though, he runs it a bit more and we need Bevil to give us that balance on offense.

I'm very please with Venson, this is what we all thought he could be the speedy back that can take it up the field for nice 15 yd gains. He had several great plays.

Secondary: We made all of our field goals and didn't have any blocks, thats about all there was to say. I disagree that we didn't make adjustments for theirs short kick offs though after the second time it happened we put more hands guys in but they're not executing like they should never back up to catch the ball! let the guy behind you take it. I'm pretty sure the players are going to hear this in the film study.

Defense Positives: We can man to man cover in the secondary decently. And we can stop the run when we're focused on it but any type of play action will usually set up the other team for big gains into our secondary. Not much good to say besides that.

Negatives: Offense: What's up with the play calling in the second half? We had a great balance in the first half and the beginning of the second (the reverse with Jacob Hannah was an awesome play and I hope we see it again, I don't think JJ Hayes should have been called for holding there. But as soon as IWU got momentum on their side we kept it so conservative that if IWU was just a little more consistent of offense they might have won the game. You have to throw the ball when there is still that much time left on the clock.

Defense: Secondary's zone coverage just sucks, we're usually standing to the left and right of what is going on and giving the opposing QB a great window to throw in. This was likely what USA was exploiting last week on third and long attempts. The D line's interior tackles are not playing with enough intensity or something. We're getting split wide open every time and the Line backers can't fill a hole that big with a speedy guy like Rios running at them.

Special teams: Why are we squib kicking that last kick off? THey almost broke through our special teams unit to score. Show a little faith in these guys and put that ball in the endzone. We have the leg strength but not the consistancy. And how do you kick the ball out of bounds that many times? I saw better kicking in the TC game and we had crazy wind and rain to deal with. Lots of problems on the special temas and after watching this game it has to be seen as our Achilles heel along with the middle of our defense.

Overall we had a better game than what I thought from reading comments. I think there was alot of positives to take away from the offense which has been a concern since the USA game. The O line can get better but they're still working on it and I think as the season progresses they will do the job. Performances like Venson's and Bevil's make me feel better about the offense.

The defense had flashes of good play we just seem to get busted in the secondary far too often. I don't know what to say about the defensive tackles, it's just disappointing to see them get pushed around like they did at some points. Other times they plugged holes up nicely but they can't do it consistently. We should have blitzed more, on the few plays where we did Lynch threw an interception and a few hurried incomplete passes but We only sent 4 for most of the night from what I could tell. I worry about blitzing more though when our coverage is so inconsistent. I would like to see more man to man match ups in the secondary. When we did that it seemed to work more.

If we wouldn't have dropped that ball on the kick off and played better defense in the first quarter this would have been a pretty good margin of victory for Lamar. The only positive I see now is that we aren't going to be on a high after a win like that so this should be motivation to concentrate on SELU.

Go Cards.