PDA

View Full Version : local kids that lamar should recruit

lu cards
09-13-2011, 03:40 PM
lamar is going to have a bunch of scholarships to offer this year.any local kids that lamar should be on?png has a wr jayce nelson that i think could play at lu.the ozen qb comes to mind also kids a great athlete.menard from bridge city???lets hear it.

bigred360
09-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Menard is going to play baseball at Baylor. Yea, he is a heck of a football player!

lcm2007ms
09-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Alex Sezar-LCM

Big T
09-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Coby Curon-Nederland (mispelled his last name)

NorthoftheBorder
09-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Recruiting local kids is a two edged sword. It can backfire with the fan base. You can never tell how a kid will perform at the next level.

CardAmbassador
09-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Recruiting local kids is a two edged sword. It can backfire with the fan base. You can never tell how a kid will perform at the next level.

Very true, I feel this is more a concern because of the youth of the program more than anything. As LU football builds its own independent fan base I expect things to go more smoothely. But I'm an optimist. :)

There are quite a few guys we should recruit locally, we just need to be prepared for kids to want to go else where, some people want to go away to college and that is fine, the ones who want to stay and are good will get a shot this year, there are far more openings on the team this year.

Big T
09-13-2011, 06:22 PM

That's why I only put Colby's name on there. There are several kids all on defence who have a shot at the D1 level but Colby is the only pretty much the only one you can look at and say he is a ligit DI prospect that will have suucess anywheres he goes. I've only heard rumors but i've heard he has a couple of SEC and Big-XII schools looking at him. He is interested in staying close to home.

lu cards
09-15-2011, 03:02 AM
lamar doesnt have one kid on its roster fron port arthur.that really surprises me.memorial has been down but they have some talent coming through.we need to get some of these kids.

BigRedTrack
09-15-2011, 03:05 AM

That's why I only put Colby's name on there. There are several kids all on defence who have a shot at the D1 level but Colby is the only pretty much the only one you can look at and say he is a ligit DI prospect that will have suucess anywheres he goes. I've only heard rumors but i've heard he has a couple of SEC and Big-XII schools looking at him. He is interested in staying close to home.

I agree. The rest of NHS players are a bit on the small side to be Div.1. Barbers Hill had a couple of decent looking linemen size wise.

BigRedTrack
09-15-2011, 03:06 AM
lamar doesnt have one kid on its roster fron port arthur.that really surprises me.memorial has been down but they have some talent coming through.we need to get some of these kids.

We need to get some from Memorial in the next few years. They do have some talent.

Knightman
09-15-2011, 05:04 PM
The great thing about recruiting local young men, is that you know when you get the young men to come and play, their parents, grandparents, aunts and uncle, and nieces and nephews are going to come watch them plays, which means more behinds in the seats. And you also know that their friends and the people that they know.

Go Cardinals!!!

Knightman

05BigRed
09-15-2011, 05:12 PM
The great thing about recruiting local young men, is that you know when you get the young men to come and play, their parents, grandparents, aunts and uncle, and nieces and nephews are going to come watch them plays, which means more behinds in the seats. And you also know that their friends and the people that they know.

Go Cardinals!!!

Knightman

good and bad as we have seen here lately...little johnny doesnt get to play and/or start and mom, dad, uncle, grandmaw, and grandpaw start bad mouthing LU

TBonesLU
09-15-2011, 05:46 PM

Go Cardinals!!!

Knightman

good and bad as we have seen here lately...little johnny doesnt get to play and/or start and mom, dad, uncle, grandmaw, and grandpaw start bad mouthing LU

Agreed. Does anyone think that the reason a coach (let's say Woodard for kicks) is ever swayed from possibly getting a certain local recruit one time or another because of the way the parents seemed to be so concerned with the student's contribution to the team that it's in the best interest of the university to go elsewhere for talent? What I mean to say is I know how parents are in Texas regarding kids and their sports affiliations. Don't get me wrong...occasionally making a small comment to a coach along the lines of "my son has really improved since last year...just give him a shot is all I'm asking" is no problem. That should be encouraged I think, because high school coaches have classes to teach as well. However, keep in mind that parents that are constantly badgering coaches starting in junior high/high school can be a real detriment to the team. I would hope that by the time players are grown men, parents know that they really have no right to call the coach or talk to him any longer regarding playing time. It's the difference between a person who is getting paid $30k/year and someone being paid $155k/year. It's a different level of play.

I only bring this up because I know how parents in a sport-heavy area can get so wrapped up in doing what is best for their child that they forget what may be best for the team. I welcome the recruiting of great local players. I think it's great for people who want to stay near home to attend Lamar and play a sport. I'm saying with that, let's not become a "local" university anymore than we are now. Let's continue to expand and find the best recruits regardless of where they grew up.

05BigRed
09-15-2011, 07:02 PM

Go Cardinals!!!

Knightman

Agreed. Does anyone think that the reason a coach (let's say Woodard for kicks) is ever swayed from possibly getting a certain local recruit one time or another because of the way the parents seemed to be so concerned with the student's contribution to the team that it's in the best interest of the university to go elsewhere for talent? What I mean to say is I know how parents are in Texas regarding kids and their sports affiliations. Don't get me wrong...occasionally making a small comment to a coach along the lines of "my son has really improved since last year...just give him a shot is all I'm asking" is no problem. That should be encouraged I think, because high school coaches have classes to teach as well. However, keep in mind that parents that are constantly badgering coaches starting in junior high/high school can be a real detriment to the team. I would hope that by the time players are grown men, parents know that they really have no right to call the coach or talk to him any longer regarding playing time. It's the difference between a person who is getting paid $30k/year and someone being paid $155k/year. It's a different level of play.

I only bring this up because I know how parents in a sport-heavy area can get so wrapped up in doing what is best for their child that they forget what may be best for the team. I welcome the recruiting of great local players. I think it's great for people who want to stay near home to attend Lamar and play a sport. I'm saying with that, let's not become a "local" university anymore than we are now. Let's continue to expand and find the best recruits regardless of where they grew up.

im not sure if there is any face to face badgering of coaches from parents at the collegiate level, but public statements, messages boards obviously, e-mails, etc may be a possibility...you mentioned badgering coaches starting in junior high/high school...sorry to say but this starts in t-ball, pee wee football, beginner soccer, etc...its unbelieveable to me the way parents act in regards to their kids in sports at such an early age...truly sad to see...anyhow didnt mean to get off on a tangent...

i think recruiting locally is fantastic, but just because your child is a start athlete in little old nederland, port neches, beaumont, etc doesnt mean he is gonna be a star or even a started at a div 1 college...it makes you realize that there are high school studs all around the country and only a certain amount of them are good enough to shine at the next level

TBonesLU
09-15-2011, 07:46 PM

Go Cardinals!!!

Knightman

im not sure if there is any face to face badgering of coaches from parents at the collegiate level, but public statements, messages boards obviously, e-mails, etc may be a possibility...you mentioned badgering coaches starting in junior high/high school...sorry to say but this starts in t-ball, pee wee football, beginner soccer, etc...its unbelieveable to me the way parents act in regards to their kids in sports at such an early age...truly sad to see...anyhow didnt mean to get off on a tangent...

i think recruiting locally is fantastic, but just because your child is a start athlete in little old nederland, port neches, beaumont, etc doesnt mean he is gonna be a star or even a started at a div 1 college...it makes you realize that there are high school studs all around the country and only a certain amount of them are good enough to shine at the next level

No, and I hope it was understood that I was agreeing with you. I didn't necessarily mean "face-to-face", but you have to think that when Woodard was recruiting some kids that he gave the parents his number for "anything they may need". It makes me sick as well.

CardAmbassador
09-15-2011, 10:16 PM
Ty Johnson is a local kid from Orangefield that LU is recruiting.

bigred360
09-15-2011, 10:33 PM

I don't know what it is but Lamar has never recruited out of Port Arthur very well in any sport. I don't know what the deal is.

I agree they have some very talented players.

LAZEEK
09-16-2011, 12:31 AM
LU already has a commitment from HJ Lineman Joseph Persohn. Joseph is 6'4 and about 250. His dad Joe Persohn is a LU Alum. Great player and even better kid!!!!

bigred360
09-16-2011, 12:37 AM
LU already has a commitment from HJ Lineman Joseph Persohn. Joseph is 6'4 and about 250. His dad Joe Persohn is a LU Alum. Great player and even better kid!!!!

LAZEEK, we already know about him and his dad. Good to hear he is a good person.

http://www.bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=5&id=11769&Itemid=169

LAZEEK
09-16-2011, 12:40 AM
He is a BEAST on the Hardwood for the Hawks also.........major plus for HJ!!!!

Vroo
09-16-2011, 12:42 AM
There is some good local talent. But in order for this program to really grow and excel they will have to find the perfect mix of local and national talent.