PDA

View Full Version : Lamar's Identity

Cplatt
09-17-2011, 04:48 PM
Guys,
Being a huge LU fan and former Cardinal athlete, i am still waiting on an identity. I am confused about our QB situation. That ols saying if you have 2 QB's you dont have 1. Bevil was move to the slot last your for the Prewitt kid and now all of sudden they put him back at QB and then rotate him with Johnson. We are big up front but we are quick to abandon the running game. They need to go into tonight and say Johnson you are our QB for the next 4 yrs (if thats what they expect) so you are our guy and tell our RB that he will get 30 carries. Establish an identity and make statements. Right now we are fooling nobody but ourselves.
Cplatt

CardAmbassador
09-17-2011, 06:15 PM
I agree, we need an identity and have some faith in our guys.

We're only two games into the season. I'm looking for the identity to be born tonight.

geezer
09-18-2011, 06:40 PM
We definately established an identity. Starting running back injured, use of two qbs, neither of which is a complete package, soft defensive backs, terrible kickoff and kickoff return squads and only average defensive line play. Bright spot linebackers, punter and back up running back.

JJWooten
09-18-2011, 09:43 PM
+1

That's about right. You just forgot an overrated OL

bigred360
09-19-2011, 12:36 AM
IMHO, the O-line isn't over-rated as they have played 3 games together and you could throw out the first. I'm a lot more concerned with some of the play calling. It was like in the fourth quarter we quit trying to score. We run a lot better to the left and several of the plays were to the right of the formation.

Just a few stats about the offense and the O-line. IWU did not have a sack. LU had 22 first downs, 212 rushing yards for a 5.2 average (the average was less running to the right of the formation), 257 passing yards for a total of 469.

Now, the defense and special team stats. LU one fumble on a kickoff, IWU had 151 yards on 6 returns.

Defensively, IWU has 17 first downs. The Cardinals had 128 rushing yards. They had 203 passing for a total of 331.

Finally, this game should not have been close. One TD was called back due to WR holding but will have to play to our strengths, avoid penalties and TO's and try to score until the scoreboard timer reads 00:00.

JJWooten
09-19-2011, 12:45 AM
I was adding it from the USA game as well, not just UIW. A lot of complaints on BRI has been about people penetrating the OL and getting to the QB. You guys landed two BIG guys, but even they seemed like they were getting beat on some one-on-one plays.

Just an observation from somewhere NOT affiliated with Lamar

bigred360
09-19-2011, 12:55 AM
Were you at the Lamar game or watched it on TV because I was at the game and my main focus on offense wasn't Bevil or Johnson as they are better than most give credit. Games are won and lost in the trenches so I was watching the line (especially Oden and Campbell). Yes, IWU got some penetration on some passing plays and we didn't run it well to the right side of the formation or going to the edge on that side.

However, Oden and Campbell were beat VERY FEW TIMES. If you had tape you could see most of Jeremy Johnsons rushing yardage was on the left side and on the edge on the left side.

I bet Oden and Campbell grade out in the high 80's for this game.

coachacola
09-19-2011, 01:00 AM
I don't think this team has an identity yet. The offense is a work in progress but it's more balanced and improving each week. Campbell and Oden have a ton of potential and with the O-line being the weak link last year, everyone was excited about these guys. Campbell came in overweight and Oden came in late and had to overcome a lot of distractions.

The defense and special teams are holding this team back now and all the injuries are making things worse. Fred Hinshaw is no longer the DC plus they changed the defense from a 4-2-5 to a 4-3. Add in some injuries and the defense is definitely struggling right now. We'll see if the coaches can right that ship.

Fred Davis brought this up at the beginning of the season in one of his articles, does this team have the depth yet to be really competitive in the SLC? The defense has been hurt the most by injuries so we'll see how well they overcome that and improve enough to handle the SLC.

bigred360
09-19-2011, 01:05 AM
I don't think this team has an identity yet. The offense is a work in progress but it's more balanced and improving each week. Campbell and Oden have a ton of potential and with the O-line being the weak link last year, everyone was excited about these guys. Campbell came in overweight and Oden came in late and had to overcome a lot of distractions.

The defense and special teams are holding this team back now and all the injuries are making things worse. Fred Hinshaw is no longer the DC plus they changed the defense from a 4-2-5 to a 4-3. Add in some injuries and the defense is definitely struggling right now. We'll see if the coaches can right that ship.

Fred Davis brought this up at the beginning of the season in one of his articles, does this team have the depth yet to be really competitive in the SLC? The defense has been hurt the most by injuries so we'll see how well they overcome that and improve enough to handle the SLC.

+1

West
09-19-2011, 01:17 AM
Our defense should have been better, and I think Ray Woodard would say the same thing. He has to put that on himself, but either way we got the win, and now we have 2 weeks to prepare for Southeastern.

This will be our best test of the year up to date, no excuses if we lose this game. We played and beat this team last year, so it should be a decent measuring stick of where we are. Hopefully Bevil can continue to make better decisions than what he is known for, and the team can get healthier.

We still have a lot of season left and a lot of time to improve, although last night's effort was not the most encouraging, I still believe we can have a good year.

Just to throw in a little criticsm, how unprepared did our defense look last night? We were almost always out of position and our guys seemed to be confused over half of the time on what was going on. Hopefully RW can fix this and get these guys ready. I believe he can.

JJWooten
09-19-2011, 04:33 AM
I've only watched on tv the two games at home, and I listened in to the USA game. I'm just repeating things the commentators say, as well as what I see watching the game.

Hookem14
09-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Lamar is poorly coached. That's their Identity.

TBonesLU
09-19-2011, 12:04 PM

A sound post...why even bother? Please stay over there on your bandwagon full of Longhorns. There are enough of you around. Had you put anything to justify your statement, I wouldn't have a problem with it. You clearly are some SETX kid too proud to affiliate yourself with lowly Lamar, so you do what everyone else does: Cheer for the Longhorns and antagonize anyone else. Here's a site for you:

www.hornfans.com

kingkat99
09-19-2011, 12:36 PM
IMHO, the O-line isn't over-rated as they have played 3 games together and you could throw out the first. I'm a lot more concerned with some of the play calling. It was like in the fourth quarter we quit trying to score. We run a lot better to the left and several of the plays were to the right of the formation.

Just a few stats about the offense and the O-line. IWU did not have a sack. LU had 22 first downs, 212 rushing yards for a 5.2 average (the average was less running to the right of the formation), 257 passing yards for a total of 469.

Now, the defense and special team stats. LU one fumble on a kickoff, IWU had 151 yards on 6 returns.

Defensively, IWU has 17 first downs. The Cardinals had 128 rushing yards. They had 203 passing for a total of 331.

Finally, this game should not have been close. One TD was called back due to WR holding but will have to play to our strengths, avoid penalties and TO's and try to score until the scoreboard timer reads 00:00.

This was never TW's style while at Sam...get a lead and play not to lose is how he rolls so get used to it.

\m/
09-19-2011, 12:52 PM

A sound post...why even bother? Please stay over there on your bandwagon full of Longhorns. There are enough of you around. Had you put anything to justify your statement, I wouldn't have a problem with it. You clearly are some SETX kid too proud to affiliate yourself with lowly Lamar, so you do what everyone else does: Cheer for the Longhorns and antagonize anyone else. Here's a site for you:

www.hornfans.com

I didnt see anything wrong with hookem14's comment. Is there some truth that Lamar, specifically on defense is struggling? Maybe it is the coaching? I went to the game Saturday and to a few games last year and Lamar has some solid athletes on the team. Theres no reason to be allowing the yards they did against a school from the Lone Star conference. I cant understand why you guys blast people on this forum for being Texas fans and commenting. If his name wouldve been Cardinals14 I dont think anyone wouldve said a thing. I went to UT but live in the area and pull for Lamar and there are likely many more like me so I'd get used to seeing Texas and Texas A&M fans on here. Mike is a friend of mine and I know he encourages it. Heck he was the one that told me about his forum and asked me if id visit.

TBonesLU
09-19-2011, 01:10 PM

www.hornfans.com

I didnt see anything wrong with hookem14's comment. Is there some truth that Lamar, specifically on defense is struggling? Maybe it is the coaching? I went to the game Saturday and to a few games last year and Lamar has some solid athletes on the team. Theres no reason to be allowing the yards they did against a school from the Lone Star conference. I cant understand why you guys blast people on this forum for being Texas fans and commenting. If his name wouldve been Cardinals14 I dont think anyone wouldve said a thing. I went to UT but live in the area and pull for Lamar and there are likely many more like me so I'd get used to seeing Texas and Texas A&M fans on here. Mike is a friend of mine and I know he encourages it. Heck he was the one that told me about his forum and asked me if id visit.

m/,

If he had posted as you have done (given some reasoning), like I said, I would've found no problem with it. It was clear though that he just wanted to say something irritating to stir us up. "Lamar is poorly coached. That's their identity." ???? Really? That's not a stab at us? I don't have a problem with someone posting and saying why they think so, but this is clearly someone seeing a chance to throw a comment out there with no evident reasoning why. I've seen YOUR posts. They are nothing of the sort. I mentioned the Longhorn thing to Hookem because he hasn't contributed anything to the topic. JJWooten's posts above are not like this. He is a Bearkat, and he talks about why he says the things he does instead of just getting us all going with some comment like that.

Hookem14
09-19-2011, 01:12 PM
WOW !!!

TBonesLU
09-19-2011, 01:13 PM

www.hornfans.com

Also, the bold comment above is not true. If someone just comes on and says, "Lamar's problem is they suck." I'd tell them to go cheer on OU or UT if they can't handle the lulls that are inevitable with a new program. I'm not partial to fans. I'm partial to my team/school.

theTestament
09-19-2011, 01:14 PM
1. No determined QB
2. No defensive line
3. No defensive secondary
4. No discipline
5. No game planning
6. No special teams
7. No real running game(just wait until conference play)

Lamar has an identity......its called the SLC's bye week.

TBonesLU
09-19-2011, 01:17 PM
WOW !!!

I know...ridiculous, huh?

\m/
09-19-2011, 01:57 PM

www.hornfans.com

m/,

If he had posted as you have done (given some reasoning), like I said, I would've found no problem with it. It was clear though that he just wanted to say something irritating to stir us up. "Lamar is poorly coached. That's their identity." ???? Really? That's not a stab at us? I don't have a problem with someone posting and saying why they think so, but this is clearly someone seeing a chance to throw a comment out there with no evident reasoning why. I've seen YOUR posts. They are nothing of the sort. I mentioned the Longhorn thing to Hookem because he hasn't contributed anything to the topic. JJWooten's posts above are not like this. He is a Bearkat, and he talks about why he says the things he does instead of just getting us all going with some comment like that.

I think its awesome how passionate you are about Lamar but i still think he was just straight and to the point with his response and didnt deserve to be called out for it. The coaching must improve or LU will have a rough go in the SLC. I don't think anyone can really argue that point. If anything i wouldve taken it as a compliment towards the talent level on the football team, they arent getting coached up and thats their identidy.

TBonesLU
09-19-2011, 02:34 PM

www.hornfans.com

m/,

I think its awesome how passionate you are about Lamar but i still think he was just straight and to the point with his response and didnt deserve to be called out for it. The coaching must improve or LU will have a rough go in the SLC. I don't think anyone can really argue that point. If anything i wouldve taken it as a compliment towards the talent level on the football team, they arent getting coached up and thats their identidy.

Thank you. Had he said any of that, I wouldn't have called him out.

Hookem14
09-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Apparently not everyone understands that very frequently in society people say things that we do not want to hear or do not agree with. My suggestion to those people would be to put on your grown up pants and realize that is life.

TBonesLU
09-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Apparently not everyone understands that very frequently in society people say things that we do not want to hear or do not agree with. My suggestion to those people would be to put on your grown up pants and realize that is life.

Great point...I guess. My reasoning for saying what I said is I don't intend on going to UT and saying saying "UT is full of a bunch of high-horse bigots who think it's a privilege to play them in any sport." Regardless of whether or not it is what I may think, the fact of the matter is it shows no class to say this to a "room" full of Lamar fans. Quite honestly, I don't think that UT is that at all. I was a Texas fan before I attended Lamar and still always want them to do well. Let's face it...UT represents the state of Texas. However, it would seem that making a sneer comment about a university on the forum dedicated to that university shows little class. Do you not agree? You still have yet to give any reasoning to establish merit regarding your statement. What about the coaching do you think is "poor"? Was the play-calling off? Did you not like our depth chart for this game? Was the two-QB situation a problem for you?

If you had answered any of these questions (or any other question you may have had in mind) in your post, I would not have "called you out". However, you simply stated we have poor coaching. I know (and I think all LU fans know) that Lamar is not and will not ever be as elite as Texas. So why beat us down when we aren't even on the same level?

theTestament
09-19-2011, 03:44 PM
This is what gets me: If someone is on here with the name Hookem, do you really think he is bashing Lamar so as to make UT look better? Come on man. You remind me of someone I used to know from Bridge City. He would always try to compare their Cardinals to the WOS/PNG/Centrals of the world when they could never compete. Any time someone said something about BC, he would flip. Its ok to be critical. Obviously, if the guy is on here commenting then he is probably a fan of Lamar too. I dont think he would just be bashing Lamar just for the fun of it.

Hookem14
09-19-2011, 03:47 PM
He needs to read his messages

TBonesLU
09-19-2011, 03:57 PM
He needs to read his messages

What do I need to read? Please spare me the time as I don't have all day.

TBonesLU
09-19-2011, 04:02 PM
This is what gets me: If someone is on here with the name Hookem, do you really think he is bashing Lamar so as to make UT look better? Come on man. You remind me of someone I used to know from Bridge City. He would always try to compare their Cardinals to the WOS/PNG/Centrals of the world when they could never compete. Any time someone said something about BC, he would flip. Its ok to be critical. Obviously, if the guy is on here commenting then he is probably a fan of Lamar too. I dont think he would just be bashing Lamar just for the fun of it.

I went to BC and I can assure you that was not me. I hated going there.

I never said he was trying to make UT look better. What I was getting to was there isn't a logical reason in jumping on and saying something negative about Lamar and just ending it. I asked him what he thought was bad about the coaching and he still didn't answer. It's as if he didn't watch the game at all. Also, I agree, it is okay to be critical. So be critical. Be a critic and EXPLAIN WHY THE COACHING STAFF IS POOR AND WHY THAT IS LAMAR'S IDENTITY. That's all I asked. Do it or not, it's nice to have an original thought about something rather than just be like some of the other fair weather fans. I don't have a problem with people being critics of Lamar. That is what makes us fans. My point was if you want to be a critic, don't half-___ it. Anything else?

theTestament
09-19-2011, 04:02 PM
Probably your PMs

coachacola
09-19-2011, 04:12 PM
If you look at Woodard's profile his background is defense so why is the defense the weak link of this team? Is he taking a hand's off approach on the defense, or maybe he's just not that good of a coach? Maybe the talent just isn't there yet? Whatever the problem is Woodard has two weeks to figure out an answer.

TBonesLU
09-19-2011, 04:15 PM
I will respectfully withdraw from this so others may continue to talk about Lamar's identity. Whether or not I blew this out of proportion is debatable. Let's just get past it.

I sent you a PM, Hookem.

I will finish this part of the topic by saying to everyone, "Please help others in the area to not be fair weather fans. It's what kills every sport that rolls through Beaumont."

EDIT: Please note this above quote was not directed at ANYONE directly. I merely understood Hookem's post this way (whether he meant it that way or not), and that is why I am saying this.

JJWooten
09-19-2011, 04:57 PM
That's the risk of taking a JuCo coach and giving him DI reigns. Look at Whitten, he was a REALLY good coach at Tarleton State, but he couldn't make that transition to Sam as a DI coach. We've always said he would make a good offensive coordinator somewhere.

But then again, on the other hand, look at Larry Coker at UTSA. He's an FBS (BCS team even) head coach that is now coaching down a level. All logic should say he shouldn't lose to DIII McMurry State, but he did. :woohoo: :woohoo:

You can never really tell what you're getting until they get on the field.

Hookem14
09-19-2011, 05:05 PM
I will also let it go. But let me say this in closing. I made no “Sneer” comment about the university, nor did I bash the university in any way or try to cause a stir. I am a season ticket holder and a huge Lamar fan that wants nothing more than for them to have all the success in the world. I am just being realistic. I simply made a statement that was not a popular one and because of a user name, as if that means anything, was called out. The coaching is poor; anyone that knows even a little about football can see that. I’ve got a 12 year old son that can point that out. I didn’t feel it was necessary to point out each flaw. Next time don’t read so much into a comment and assume so much.

CardinalsOrElse
09-19-2011, 06:28 PM
I will also let it go. But let me say this in closing. I made no “Sneer” comment about the university, nor did I bash the university in any way or try to cause a stir. I am a season ticket holder and a huge Lamar fan that wants nothing more than for them to have all the success in the world. I am just being realistic. I simply made a statement that was not a popular one and because of a user name, as if that means anything, was called out. The coaching is poor; anyone that knows even a little about football can see that. I’ve got a 12 year old son that can point that out. I didn’t feel it was necessary to point out each flaw. Next time don’t read so much into a comment and assume so much.

Look bud, it's a Lamar message board... when you come onto a Lamar message board with the name hookem14, you better get ridiculed for your name or cardinal fans aren't Cardinal fans.

If you are a cardinal fan why are ya making an account on a Lamar message board that says hookem???????

If I went to orangebloods with the name OkieStateLover and started making critical comments about UT's coaches would I get a warm welcome? I bet they would all call me a genius and tell me how right I am correct?

Ya, thought so.

TBonesLU
09-19-2011, 06:35 PM

Look bud, it's a Lamar message board... when you come onto a Lamar message board with the name hookem14, you better get ridiculed for your name or cardinal fans aren't Cardinal fans.

If you are a cardinal fan why are ya making an account on a Lamar message board that says hookem???????

If I went to orangebloods with the name OkieStateLover and started making critical comments about UT's coaches would I get a warm welcome? I bet they would all call me a genius and tell me how right I am correct?

Ya, thought so.

I'm glad to get a little support on this...but like I said, we can be done with it.

coachacola
09-19-2011, 06:36 PM
I think anyone who dishes out money for season tickets is definitely a Lamar fan, no matter what screen name they use. Lamar isn't in UT's league yet so I don't have a problem with the screen name. Now if it was someone from another SLC school saying stuff about the coaching staff that would be different. Just my 2 cents.

TBonesLU
09-19-2011, 06:42 PM
I think anyone who dishes out money for season tickets is definitely a Lamar fan, no matter what screen name they use. Lamar isn't in UT's league yet so I don't have a problem with the screen name. Now if it was someone from another SLC school saying stuff about the coaching staff that would be different. Just my 2 cents.

Quite honestly, I don't have a problem with anyone stating something about things Lamar is having problems carrying out or whatnot even if they are in the SLC. I would figure our close opponents to know more about us than out-of-conference folks. It's why he have a forum. I just didn't like "Lamar is poorly coached. That's their identity." It said nothing of a point of view. It was just a quick jab and it's over. His username had nothing to do with it. I got mad, so it was the first thing I threw back in his face. If a Lamar fan had said it, I would've done the same thing. I just told him to give examples, have something to back it up, etc. And to be honest, I can't say I was even disagreeing with him 100%. I think the coaching needs to step it up. I think they perhaps are doing the best with what they have right now with all the injuries. However, there is a reason there are second- and third-string players. They are supposed to be able to seamlessly back up the first string. Right now, that is not what they are doing. So I agree with him on that (if he in some way was referring to this).

JJWooten
09-19-2011, 06:51 PM

Isn't that what I did? :cheer: :cheer:

theTestament
09-19-2011, 06:52 PM
I actually think its nice to see other people come on here and talk Lamar sports. Hookem seems to bring an unbiased opinion to the conversation. Not to mention that when he does back up his points, he usually makes sense.....unlike some people on here.

TBonesLU
09-19-2011, 06:53 PM

As far as I'm concerned, JJ, yours was fine with me. I don't think we've had arguments in a while. I'm glad these two schools have, for the most part, learned how to post on each other's forums.

TBonesLU
09-19-2011, 06:54 PM
I actually think its nice to see other people come on here and talk Lamar sports. Hookem seems to bring an unbiased opinion to the conversation. Not to mention that when he does back up his points, he usually makes sense.....unlike some people on here.

Was this directed at anyone, sir?

CardinalsOrElse
09-19-2011, 06:55 PM

Well then if you have no problem with it why dont we all change our names to the mascots of big12 schools... that would be one great Lamar fan board wouldnt it?

If i made an arkansas state user name and went to orangebloods and started making critical comments regardless of the difference in level of play people would laugh me off the board. this is what is supposed to happen. Ive read here for a while and there are other members here that graduated from other schools but they dont call themselves by those schools.

I saw this guys argument last week, he graduated from Lamar but he makes the user name hookem? Thats like all the kids that wear ut and a&m shirts on lamar's campus. I guess we should encourage that to right? I got no problem with people liking ut or tech or any other big12 school but when they graduated from lu and can't even show some signs that they are a fan on a message board or wear a lu shirt then I dont care for em too much.

And this is just my 2 cents as well, you gave yours now I gave mine and Im not going to apologize if I step on any toes.

go cardinals

theTestament
09-19-2011, 06:58 PM

If the shoe fits......some people can wear it.

TBonesLU
09-19-2011, 06:58 PM

Well then if you have no problem with it why dont we all change our names to the mascots of big12 schools... that would be one great Lamar fan board wouldnt it?

If i made an arkansas state user name and went to orangebloods and started making critical comments regardless of the difference in level of play people would laugh me off the board. this is what is supposed to happen. Ive read here for a while and there are other members here that graduated from other schools but they dont call themselves by those schools.

I saw this guys argument last week, he graduated from Lamar but he makes the user name hookem? Thats like all the kids that wear ut and a&m shirts on lamar's campus. I guess we should encourage that to right? I got no problem with people liking ut or tech or any other big12 school but when they graduated from lu and can't even show some signs that they are a fan on a message board or wear a lu shirt then I dont care for em too much.

And this is just my 2 cents as well, you gave yours now I gave mine and Im not going to apologize if I step on any toes.

go cardinals

I have to respectfully agree. If someone went to both schools, why not have an LU screenname on here and a UT screenname on their forum?

I'll agree with the general consensus though and say, "Go, Cards!"

TBonesLU
09-19-2011, 07:00 PM

Okay, great. I didn't think you were talking about me because I've backed up everything I've ever said. I thought I was going to get to laugh for a minute, but clearly you were talking about someone else. Carry on...

theTestament
09-19-2011, 07:01 PM

Okay, great. I didn't think you were talking about me because I've backed up everything I've ever said. I thought I was going to get to laugh for a minute, but clearly you were talking about someone else. Carry on...

Now I am getting a good laugh! Thanks!

TBonesLU
09-19-2011, 07:02 PM

Now I am getting a good laugh! Thanks!

Sent you a PM

TBonesLU
09-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Jeez...all this heat after a win. I am dreading the next loss.

theTestament
09-19-2011, 07:10 PM
This may have been a win in the record books, but it was not a win for the program.

TBonesLU
09-19-2011, 07:12 PM
No, and I'm not denying that.

TBonesLU
09-19-2011, 07:13 PM
NWST had a problem with Henderson the first week as well. I'm not saying these two opponents are at all the same caliber. I'm just saying it happens.

AggiesAreWe
09-19-2011, 07:18 PM

AMEN!!

As you can see, my username has nothing to do with Lamar. My username is my identity that I have chosen on every messageboard that I am a member of, which numbers about 10. It's one that I have always had, way before BRI was ever even thought of, and one that I will not change for any site. It's just what most folks identify myself with, AggiesAreWe. Nothing against Lamar.

I am a season ticket holder (6 seats) for Lamar football, season ticket holder (5 seats, going on 12 years now) for Lamar basketball, send my oldest son to school at Lamar (2nd year), my wife is a graduate of Lamar(was in band 4 years as twirler, head twirler the next to last season of football)she got her masters at Texas A&M, where I also attended, along with attending Lamar (never graduated, and we are members of the Cardinal Club and 12th Man Foundation (used to be season ticket holders of A&M football, dropped it a few years ago). So you can see that I have ties to both schools. I think one can be a fan of both. I do indeed spend money for both (and I bet spend more at Lamar than some on this site);) The username should never be an issue.

But, I do understand TBones point.

TBonesLU
09-19-2011, 07:37 PM

AMEN!!

As you can see, my username has nothing to do with Lamar. My username is my identity that I have chosen on every messageboard that I am a member of, which numbers about 10. It's one that I have always had, way before BRI was ever even thought of, and one that I will not change for any site. It's just what most folks identify myself with, AggiesAreWe. Nothing against Lamar.

I am a season ticket holder (6 seats) for Lamar football, season ticket holder (5 seats, going on 12 years now) for Lamar basketball, send my oldest son to school at Lamar (2nd year), my wife is a graduate of Lamar(was in band 4 years as twirler, head twirler the next to last season of football)she got her masters at Texas A&M, where I also attended, along with attending Lamar (never graduated, and we are members of the Cardinal Club and 12th Man Foundation (used to be season ticket holders of A&M football, dropped it a few years ago). So you can see that I have ties to both schools. I think one can be a fan of both. I do indeed spend money for both (and I bet spend more at Lamar than some on this site);) The username should never be an issue.

But, I do understand TBones point.

Ha ha! Thanks, AAW. I'll say it again. If he'd had "LamarCardmorethananyoneelse" as his S/N, I would still have reacted the way I did.

theTestament
09-19-2011, 07:54 PM
It looks like Hookem let it go, I thought you were too, Tbones.

bigred360
09-19-2011, 07:54 PM

Ya, thought so.

Great post as I had to laugh a little. However, as this site grows there will be people who attended another univesities but live in SE Texas and want to support the Cardinals. They won't be extremely loyal fan's as they have two or more schools they follow.

So the older members of this site are pretty hardcore LU supporters but we have to get use to others visiting and even welcome fan's of other universities to visit and post here on BRI.

Just my two cents.

I use to post on orangebloods.com but I didn't have a username that mentioned anything UT and quit posting over there because I made a comment of how stupid Greg Davis was for not using Jamaal Charles out of the I formation.

There were at least 10 people (UT supporters) who told me how stupid I was for even questioning their OC. Didn't Jamaal Charles almost break Jim Brown record of average for carry in the NFL? His is 6.4 and Charles ended 2010 at 6.38.

Is Greg Davis still the OC at UT? LOL

TBonesLU
09-19-2011, 07:56 PM
It looks like Hookem let it go, I thought you were too, Tbones.

Did I not? I'm not ranting on and on about it. I'm just letting the few people that jumped on know that I wasn't ripping him for having a different screenname. I'm not that pety.

JJWooten
09-19-2011, 09:00 PM
NWST had a problem with Henderson the first week as well. I'm not saying these two opponents are at all the same caliber. I'm just saying it happens.

You're thinking of Delta State, the DII runner up from last year.

UCA played Henderson

TBonesLU
09-19-2011, 10:04 PM

You're thinking of Delta State, the DII runner up from last year.

UCA played Henderson

Correct. Thanks.

geezer
09-19-2011, 11:10 PM
I thought this topic was about Lamar Football Identity. The team, players and coaches together played below everyones expectations last Saturday IMO. I believe they have made progress since the start of last year. The team and coaches need to continue to improve and it is probably too early to worry about an idendity.

coachacola
09-20-2011, 12:04 AM

You don't count! You're from SETX and didn't you actually attend Lamar for a few semesters? Aren't you a fellow PNG alum too?

bigred360
09-20-2011, 12:26 AM

You don't count! You're from SETX and didn't you actually attend Lamar for a few semesters? Aren't you a fellow PNG alum too?

JJWooten is from Lumberton.

JJWooten
09-20-2011, 12:41 AM

B360 is right, I'm a Lumberton kid. The only time I stepped foot in a Lamar classroom was to take my SATs. Other than that, I had only been there to see my girlfriend (before I convinced her to transfer to Sam). =)

I really don't try to cause any ruckus, it's not worth my energy. For the most part, I only really follow SHSU, SFA, and Lamar. And by follow, I mean I devote the majority of my time to SHSU, and check in on the other two from time to time. I can only watch SFA sports every now and then, and I watch/listen to Lamar games when a SHSU isn't going on.

Similar to last year, at the beginning of the year, I was a little scared of Lamar, but after listening to the USA game and watching a good chunk of the UIW game, I'm not as worried. I guess the best way to put it is, "I expected more."

coachacola
09-20-2011, 12:58 AM
My mistake, not sure why I thought you were a PNG grad.

West
09-20-2011, 01:46 AM
JJ, aren't you in Pullman, WA? I thought I saw it listed as your location on the other board, I could be way off though.

JJWooten
09-20-2011, 02:09 AM
JJ, aren't you in Pullman, WA? I thought I saw it listed as your location on the other board, I could be way off though.

Absolutely right. I'm doing grad school at WSU.

I'm honestly a little shocked at how well some of you guys know my information. Was I that caustic over on SETX?

bigred360
09-20-2011, 02:16 AM
JJWooten, I believe that information is on your profile on Katfans.com as I've seen it too. B)

JJWooten
09-20-2011, 04:28 AM
JJWooten, I believe that information is on your profile on Katfans.com as I've seen it too. B)

It is, but the fact you guys remember it is what is most impressive (or scary). :unsure: :unsure:

boomer
09-20-2011, 11:49 AM
As for an identity I would say the great staff at Navarro College went a long way towards building that. Poorly coached ? Yep you bet a program with its act together doesn't have three qb's and no starter. We throw for 500 yds a game last year and can't complete a pass this year? Yea I'm a FAN. YEA I'm pissed to. We have local talent turned away that have succeeded at bigger universities. Yet we continue to protect our coaches. We get marquee linemen in on transfer great but can't play the pocket passing QB because he would get killed. Texas College ,first year, we should have had multiple 100 yard rushers. USA is the first team this season we played that was built up as a mirror image of progression,We didn't even belong on the field with them. Luckily I did get a good set of knives though!

1 DePauldrick Garrett RB
JR-TR Orange, Texas/West Orange-Stark HS/Navarro College
2 Kevin Davis TE
JR-1L Pearland, Texas/Pearland HS/Navarro JC
3 Andre Bevil QB
SR-1L Orange, Texas/West Orange-Stark HS/Navarro JC
4 Daniel Campbell OL
JR-TR Houston, Texas/Aldine HS/Navarro College
5 Ryan Clark DB 73
SR-1L Beaumont, Texas/Ozen HS/Navarro College
6 J.J. Hayes WR 75 ( my personal favorite player)
6-3 210 7
SR-1L Diboll, Texas/Diboll HS/Navarro JC
7 Darby Jackson DE 75
SR-1L Humble, Texas/Humble HS/Navarro JC
8 Marcus Jackson WR 73
SR-1L Tyler, Texas/Lee HS/Navarro JC
9 Stephone Mercer DB 68
JR-TR Austin, Texas/Lyndon B. Johnson HS/Navarro College
10 Josh Powdrill WR 68
SR-1L Beaumont, Texas/West Brook HS/Navarro College
11 Juventino Sanchez K 72
JR-TR Blooming Grove, Texas/Blooming Grove HS/Navarro College
12 Adrian Guillory DB 70
JR-TR Beaumont, Texas/Central HS/Navarro College

Here is the man who was hired . So did he win with the last coaches talent or are we to expect these kinds of results in three years? I don't think it is a lot to ask, do you?
From 2005-2007 Woodard spent his time coaching at Navarro Junior College.

Navarro ranked third nationally in total offense (444.6 yards per game), fourth in rushing offense (250.5 ypg) and 16th in passing offense (194.2 ypg), while scoring a school-record 428 points for an average of 35.7 per game in 2007.[2]

Todd Whitten
Offensive Coordinator
Whitten knows the Southland Conference well, having spent the past five seasons as the head coach at Sam Houston State. Whitten compiled a 25-28 record at Sam Houston State with his best seasons being 2006 and 2007, when the Bearkats had runner-up finishes in the Southland Conference with 6-5 and 7-4 records, respectively.
SHSU a school know for airing it out big time. A school who has put several QB's in the pros and we can't pick the best of three and just go with it for the sake of stability?Roger Hinshaw
Defensive Coordinator

So back to our Identity I have no Idea but I will tell you this we better get one fast. The fact that we appear to be heading backwards will kill this program before it even has a chance to grow. There is a problem when your competing against such incredible High School talent like we have in this area. Nobody loves Cinderella or scrappy teams. They love winners. The boosters want to be with winners. PNG had an easier time getting their stadium revamped than Lamar. why? WINNERS. Nederland has the equiptment and sells out every game,WINNERS. Port Arthur football attendance up 30% why they are starting to build a WINNING program.

This is where we need to be headed ,but I just don't feel it. Do you? I ask you do you honestly feel that we are any better off this year than we were last? The people most excited about our team this year right now are SHSU, SFA and worst of all McNeese. So what do we as true fans do? Vent , Hope, and Pray that in the next week or so the staff figures a way to get done what they couldn't do in the last eight months.

AggiesAreWe
09-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Curious boomer, what local talent you referring to that got turned away by Lamar and has gone on to "succeed" at bigger universities?

boomer
09-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Their are several post that we argued all spring. Not to mention your background you should know how much local talent slips away.I promised in the last post that I would drop the issue.

TBonesLU
09-20-2011, 01:41 PM
As for an identity I would say the great staff at Navarro College went a long way towards building that. Poorly coached ? Yep you bet a program with its act together doesn't have three qb's and no starter. We throw for 500 yds a game last year and can't complete a pass this year? Yea I'm a FAN. YEA I'm pissed to. We have local talent turned away that have succeeded at bigger universities. Yet we continue to protect our coaches. We get marquee linemen in on transfer great but can't play the pocket passing QB because he would get killed. Texas College ,first year, we should have had multiple 100 yard rushers. USA is the first team this season we played that was built up as a mirror image of progression,We didn't even belong on the field with them. Luckily I did get a good set of knives though!

1 DePauldrick Garrett RB
2 Kevin Davis TE
3 Andre Bevil QB
4 Daniel Campbell OL
5 Ryan Clark DB 73
6-3 210 7
7 Darby Jackson DE 75
8 Marcus Jackson WR 73
9 Stephone Mercer DB 68
10 Josh Powdrill WR 68
12 Adrian Guillory DB 70

Here is the man who was hired . So did he win with the last coaches talent or are we to expect these kinds of results in three years? I don't think it is a lot to ask, do you?

Navarro ranked third nationally in total offense (444.6 yards per game), fourth in rushing offense (250.5 ypg) and 16th in passing offense (194.2 ypg), while scoring a school-record 428 points for an average of 35.7 per game in 2007.[2]

Todd Whitten
Offensive Coordinator
Whitten knows the Southland Conference well, having spent the past five seasons as the head coach at Sam Houston State. Whitten compiled a 25-28 record at Sam Houston State with his best seasons being 2006 and 2007, when the Bearkats had runner-up finishes in the Southland Conference with 6-5 and 7-4 records, respectively.
SHSU a school know for airing it out big time. A school who has put several QB's in the pros and we can't pick the best of three and just go with it for the sake of stability?Roger Hinshaw
Defensive Coordinator

So back to our Identity I have no Idea but I will tell you this we better get one fast. The fact that we appear to be heading backwards will kill this program before it even has a chance to grow. There is a problem when your competing against such incredible High School talent like we have in this area. Nobody loves Cinderella or scrappy teams. They love winners. The boosters want to be with winners. PNG had an easier time getting their stadium revamped than Lamar. why? WINNERS. Nederland has the equiptment and sells out every game,WINNERS. Port Arthur football attendance up 30% why they are starting to build a WINNING program.

This is where we need to be headed ,but I just don't feel it. Do you? I ask you do you honestly feel that we are any better off this year than we were last? The people most excited about our team this year right now are SHSU, SFA and worst of all McNeese. So what do we as true fans do? Vent , Hope, and Pray that in the next week or so the staff figures a way to get done what they couldn't do in the last eight months.

While I understand some of your argument, selling out a 2,000-seat stadium is a bad comparison to a 16,000-seat stadium. Plus, I hate to say it, but Lamar's goal is not to put fans in the stands. It is to win. It's the same reason the Texans didn't take Vince Young in the draft 5-6 years ago. While Young would have put people in the seats because he is from Houston, it would not have done anything for them as they couldn't have done anything with any quarterback. Carr wasn't the problem; everything else was. Lamar needs to continue to increase publicity and win games (as they are now).

Let's not forget this is a brand-new program. South Alabama's success doesn't happen every time a start-up program gets going. To be honest, they are a freak of nature team.

While I've said what I have, boomer, I agree with you on a lot of points. We need to step it up, the QB battle is a bit annoying, and we need to become more disciplined.

TBonesLU
09-20-2011, 01:43 PM

Absolutely right. I'm doing grad school at WSU.

I'm honestly a little shocked at how well some of you guys know my information. Was I that caustic over on SETX?

We all have our moments. B)

CardAmbassador
09-20-2011, 01:49 PM

1 DePauldrick Garrett RB
2 Kevin Davis TE
3 Andre Bevil QB
4 Daniel Campbell OL
5 Ryan Clark DB 73
6-3 210 7
7 Darby Jackson DE 75
8 Marcus Jackson WR 73
9 Stephone Mercer DB 68
10 Josh Powdrill WR 68
12 Adrian Guillory DB 70

Todd Whitten
Offensive Coordinator
Defensive Coordinator

I know things are bad right now but I must ask you what team you are watching if you really think we are overall worse than last year because it's no contest we definitely OVERALL are improved. Now that doesn't mean I don't think the defense is moving backwards, after the IWU, but other than that game they have honestly looked improved. That doesn't mean they're anywhere close to resembling a good defense but last year was not as pretty as you may remember it. Basically I'm saying we went from pretty bad to below average.

What do you mean we can't complete a pass? The first game was a monsoon, I was there in the stands myself. USA we had several dropped passes so on that one game you might have had a point, but it looks like we completed greater than %60 of our passes against IWU that's much better than we did last year so I don't follow you on your complaint on our passing game, that seems to be fine.

What's your problem with the QB's? Bevil has 1 pick in 3 games. Doug Prewitt had 2 picks in 3 games last year. I'm starting to be convinced that Bevil was the right choice for this team at the moment. The QB position is not the problem on this team, it's definitely the secondary if I had to rate one portion of our team as the lowest.

So I'll just say I completely agree that this team is not performing to my expectations, but most of that is on the secondary because honestly I think I'm expecting too much from an O line that was brought together pretty quickly towards the middle of August. The haven't allowed a sack, remember how many sacks we had last year? (hint, more than zero in every game)

There is no doubt in my mind that LU would have lost to IWU at any point last year other than maybe the opening game. So in that respect we have improved.

Yes the picture is bleak but I don't think it's as bleak as your painting it.

The boosters want to be with winners. PNG had an easier time getting their stadium revamped than Lamar. why?

Really how so?

And if you think the program is going to get killed. I must also ask you what you're smoking? The football program is going to be canceled because it's got a 7-7 record in it's second year of play and we are near capacity crowds for every game? I don't have a problem with the complaints its just this comparison to HS when they aren't even the same level.

And for the last time let the Doty thing go.

theTestament
09-20-2011, 02:18 PM
While I understand some of your argument, selling out a 2,000-seat stadium is a bad comparison to a 16,000-seat stadium.[/b] Plus, I hate to say it, but Lamar's goal is not to put fans in the stands. It is to win. It's the same reason the Texans didn't take Vince Young in the draft 5-6 years ago. While Young would have put people in the seats because he is from Houston, it would not have done anything for them as they couldn't have done anything with any quarterback. Carr wasn't the problem; everything else was. Lamar needs to continue to increase publicity and win games (as they are now).

Let's not forget this is a brand-new program. South Alabama's success doesn't happen every time a start-up program gets going. To be honest, they are a freak of nature team.

While I've said what I have, boomer, I agree with you on a lot of points. We need to step it up, the QB battle is a bit annoying, and we need to become more disciplined.

Try 13000. This is PNG not Bridge City.

boomer
09-20-2011, 02:28 PM
I like that you agree with me. Makes me feel good inside,I swear. See UT and a LU transplant can get along. Now the local stadiums are a little bigger than you give them credit for.

Port Neches-Groves Indian Stadium
DETAILS
Total seating • capacity: 13,000
• Playing Surface: FieldTurf
• All-time attendance record: 16,000
• Two-tier, state-of-the-art pressbox
• 20,000 square foot field house
• Special features: 27'x17' high definition video board

NEDERLAND: capacity: 11,000
PORT ARTHUR: capacity: 8500

And NO I am not from MID-COUNTY and the stadiums are listed as I found them on the web. So update your web site Nederland if you want it to look better. You should be able to hire a firm with what you charge me in taxes.

TBonesLU
09-20-2011, 02:37 PM
I like that you agree with me. Makes me feel good inside,I swear. See UT and a LU transplant can get along. Now the local stadiums are a little bigger than you give them credit for.

DETAILS

And NO I am not from MID-COUNTY and the stadiums are listed as I found them on the web. So update your web site Nederland if you want it to look better. You should be able to hire a firm with what you charge me in taxes.

Okay?

CardAmbassador
09-20-2011, 02:45 PM

DETAILS

LU
16,000 seating (down from 17,500) and we're not talking metal stands but actual stadium seating.
attendance record 18.5k
Artificial Field Turf (Same company that installs the stuff for the pros)
1 tier press box yes, with a 3 tier suite complex built inside of our 10,080 seat basketball arena
50x24 video board
Field House (I'm not sure the size but I know its huge at least 50 or 60,000) weight room total space is 10,000, Basketball, soccer, baseball, and softball all have their own weight rooms too.)

How was this harder for Lamar to build than what PNG did? We can't just issues a bond on a taxing district, these things don't compare.

AggiesAreWe
09-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Their are several post that we argued all spring. Not to mention your background you should know how much local talent slips away.I promised in the last post that I would drop the issue.

You are kidding yourself if you think Lamar is going to get a lot of the local talent. Some of these guys have bigger offers, some don't. Some want to leave this area. It's the better players that fall into the hands of the SFA's. McNeese's, and Sam"s that we should be concerned about, not the ones who never got any offers or the ones who received offers from "big universities".

I know about the Doty deal, you harped on that plenty. But your statement was plural, suggesting several players. I was just wondering who the others were.

theTestament
09-20-2011, 02:52 PM
I think the comparison was about selling out the close to same size stadiums. The bottom line is this, if we do not start getting better, then the almost sold out crowd at Lamar will be almost empty and then we will be back to 1989.

lu cards
09-20-2011, 02:57 PM
lets keep png and doty out of this conversation.time to get off the ledge.were gonna beat sela next week just like last year.then everyone will be jacked up for the demons trip to beaumont.i was down after saturday but its time to move on.

CardAmbassador
09-20-2011, 03:06 PM
I think the comparison was about selling out the close to same size stadiums. The bottom line is this, if we do not start getting better, then the almost sold out crowd at Lamar will be almost empty and then we will be back to 1989.

It took a decade of losing, a depression worse than what we are seeing now, plus a very short sighted board of regents to get us where we were in 1989.

If you think we are headed there that fast then you are a very pessimissic person because alot will need to happen.

The majority of people are glad to have football back, most people that don't know much about football enjoyed the IWU game.

We had around 3k attendance in 1989. Even the worst SLC teams don't have that bad of attendance, and remember who leads the SLC in attendance in almost every sport? Yes that is LU.

I completely agree, we need to start performing well or the attendance will definitely start to decrease. But that's just a very bad comparison.

TBonesLU
09-20-2011, 03:09 PM
While I understand some of your argument, selling out a 2,000-seat stadium is a bad comparison to a 16,000-seat stadium.[/b] Plus, I hate to say it, but Lamar's goal is not to put fans in the stands. It is to win. It's the same reason the Texans didn't take Vince Young in the draft 5-6 years ago. While Young would have put people in the seats because he is from Houston, it would not have done anything for them as they couldn't have done anything with any quarterback. Carr wasn't the problem; everything else was. Lamar needs to continue to increase publicity and win games (as they are now).

I apologize as I don't keep up with high school sports anymore.

theTestament
09-20-2011, 03:17 PM

Oh I forgot you graduated from a baby red bird to a Big Red bird.

TBonesLU
09-20-2011, 03:20 PM

Oh I forgot you graduated from a baby red bird to a Big Red bird.

Uh, sure. However, had I graduated as an Indian, Bruin, or Mustang, I still wouldn't care. I'm more invested in every way in Lamar. I'm proud to be a Lamar grad. I'm not necessarily proud to have gone to Bridge City. I'm more proud of the fact that I'm from Orange than I am of my high school.

theTestament
09-20-2011, 03:23 PM
Kinda sad you do not support your HS. I am very proud to support mine and just as proud to support Lamar, also where I graduated from.

TBonesLU
09-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Kinda sad you do not support your HS. I am very proud to support mine and just as proud to support Lamar, also where I graduated from.

Why is it sad?

theTestament
09-20-2011, 03:45 PM
You will when you have kids.

TBonesLU
09-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Anyway, back on topic...

I'm glad we have an off week to give our guys plenty of rest as well as reflection time before the next game. These two weeks, if used in the right way, should show lots of improvement and productivity going into the SELA game.

boomer
09-20-2011, 03:54 PM
The point I'm trying to make here is these stadiums sell out every week for there football. Now the Identity we need is that Lamar is There team. You said the stadiums where no where near the size of Lamar they are. Bonds are passed by fans going to the polls and voting. We need the fan bases of local schools to be Lamar fans also. Surely we all agree on that. the three schools I listed sell out every friday night and that's over thirty thousand people. we have to get those and Hardin county And Chambers Jasper....ect Right now the team has an incredibly loyal following but small. That fan base must be increased. The point about not fielding the team was rebutted by the money that has been put in to start it. I work for a company that makes millions a day and just laid sixty people off. Nothing is secure because it had start up funding. We have to keep football hot at Lamar. Right now LU football is like the new resturant you can't get in without waiting. One fly in the soup or tomany losses by a bunch of kids we don't know and you sit anywhere you want.To this point I ask where is the media campaigns? Why don't we see LU players everywhere doing something to get the word out. ( during the off season of course)Are we happy with where we sit or are we going to strive to grow. When I ask that we try to get more local kids fresh out of High School i was told that winning is what puts butts in the seats. Well I hope there is another way because nobody is going to spend $500 to tailgate and watch a team of people they don't know lose.I do my part here and on the radio plus the pod cast. We need help expanding the base

TBonesLU
09-20-2011, 03:57 PM
I understand going to watch one's kids play. That makes total sense. Of course if I ever planned to have kids, I'd be agreeing with you. I'm just saying if BC wins state in baseball next year, it wouldn't really mean much to me. I've washed my hands of them. I'm just saying if my dad was going around the BC baseball field still watching games 12 years after my brother graduated, I might find it odd. I'm not projecting that onto anyone else. I'm just saying it's what I would think. There is just a lot of animosity in me toward that school.

I realize some people may look at a lot of my posts on here as being consistently negative. I'm not a negative person. If you look at most of my posts, I'm actually trying to turn a lot of this "bashing" or criticism into positives for Lamar fans so we can enjoy talking Lamar. I realize I may be biased toward LU...can you blame me? :)

TBonesLU
09-20-2011, 04:04 PM
The point I'm trying to make here is these stadiums sell out every week for there football. Now the Identity we need is that Lamar is There team. You said the stadiums where no where near the size of Lamar they are. Bonds are passed by fans going to the polls and voting. We need the fan bases of local schools to be Lamar fans also. Surely we all agree on that. the three schools I listed sell out every friday night and that's over thirty thousand people. we have to get those and Hardin county And Chambers Jasper....ect Right now the team has an incredibly loyal following but small. That fan base must be increased. The point about not fielding the team was rebutted by the money that has been put in to start it. I work for a company that makes millions a day and just laid sixty people off. Nothing is secure because it had start up funding. We have to keep football hot at Lamar. Right now LU football is like the new resturant you can't get in without waiting. One fly in the soup or tomany losses by a bunch of kids we don't know and you sit anywhere you want.To this point I ask where is the media campaigns? Why don't we see LU players everywhere doing something to get the word out. ( during the off season of course)Are we happy with where we sit or are we going to strive to grow. When I ask that we try to get more local kids fresh out of High School i was told that winning is what puts butts in the seats. Well I hope there is another way because nobody is going to spend $500 to tailgate and watch a team of people they don't know lose.I do my part here and on the radio plus the pod cast. We need help expanding the base

What about a team of people they don't know that is winning? Do you think people would attend those games? I'm not being a smart***, I'm actually curious as to what you think.

And to address the bold up above in the paragraph, I don't think Lamar football is that (yet). We don't need to let it get to that. I think right now because it's just come back to Beaumont, people are going to go. People need to be reassured that we aren't going to be a stellar program for a couple of years. It's inevitable. However, sell the experience rather than the fact that they are winning or not. Sell the fact that Lamar is a D-I school playing D-I football. I don't think people realize that unless it's brought up (people who aren't college sports followers). Boomer, you can be a great tool to Lamar having all of those capabilities at your disposal. Let's use this transitioning time of a couple of years to sell the experience and mentality of college football. I really don't like to admit it, but the locality and at-home feel is what people don't like to think about. Think about how many times per day you hear "I dislike (or hate) Beaumont", etc. They want to be sold as if it is a UT football game. So sell it that way. I'd never been to a college football game until I moved to Dallas, flew to Austin on a buddy pass with a friend, and went to a Texas game. I'm sure a lot of the locals haven't been to a game either. If it feels as though they are just going to watch the "local college of SETX", then it has no flash to it. There has to be a difference between Lamar and the local high schools, because this isn't high school football. Showcase the talent of the players (on both sides of the ball). I feel too many people are focused on the stats and whatnot right now. That stuff will take time to perfect. The reason we are being considered for the WAC is not our outstanding play on the field. It's what we can bring to an FBS conference as a university. I know we would get beat the first few years in a conference like that, so that's another thing people would have to stomach.

Anyway, that's it...

boomer
09-20-2011, 04:09 PM
I understand your post there is a different mentality in Mid-County. I thought that was odd to until I took my little boy to some practices.There were all kinds of people I know just hangign out and watching the practices. I think Mid-County has more of a country club mentality twards there schools.Nothing bad just different.

TBonesLU
09-20-2011, 04:24 PM
I understand your post there is a different mentality in Mid-County. I thought that was odd to until I took my little boy to some practices.There were all kids of people I know just hangign out and watching the practices. I think Mid-County has more of a country club mentality twards there schools.Nothing bad just different.

I edited the post above, boomer. Let me know what you think.

boomer
09-20-2011, 04:26 PM
NICE!!!! You understand I have to work with Test. And the reason we are being considered for the WAC is the area High Schools. Don't kid yourself. This is no dis thats the same reason the SEC snatched up UT's little brother. That gives them a foothold in the area recruiting. The one we aren't utilizing.

CardAmbassador
09-20-2011, 05:32 PM
NICE!!!! You understand I have to work with Test. And the reason we are being considered for the WAC is the area High Schools. Don't kid yourself. This is no dis thats the same reason the SEC snatched up UT's little brother. That gives them a foothold in the area recruiting. The one we aren't utilizing.

This is not the case, it is only small, maybe 10% portion of the case. I've gone over the factors several times in the FBS thread.

And just a bone for all you folks, there are people talking to people. Those people might be people at Lamar and those other people might be people affiliated with athletic conferences. ;) ;) The world of college sports is really shaken up right now. These athletic conferences are covering all their bases.

TBonesLU
09-20-2011, 05:58 PM

What did you mean here about Test? And I'm assuming the "nice" was referring to my post?

boomer
09-20-2011, 06:46 PM
the Testament is one of the producers of my pod cast FANTASY NATION plug ;) plug ;) and yes loved the post.

bigred360
09-20-2011, 07:12 PM
People move and lives change and there are several people who were very successful players at their HS's that don't attend games at their alma mater. One, I know made it all the way to the NFL as a free agent and he doesn't attend LC-M games.

He works and lives in Nederland so the kiddo's attend NISD.

Now the one for sure thing to get people excited about Lamar football is winning and against the same level of competition.

You can do all the speeches at area HS's and to others in the community and I know the associate AD for athletic development and I promise you everything you mentioned they have done and then some.

BigRedTrack
09-20-2011, 10:01 PM

My experience is the mid-county stadiums only "sell-out" every other year when PNG & Nederland play each other. I've been going to Nederland games regularly for the past 15 years, and the visitors side has never sold out except for PNG game. Anyone who differs, can't see across the field. The visitor's side at PNG is seems smaller than at Nederland, so some other local schools maybe close to filling it up, but I can't imagine what local high schools (besides NHS) come close.

CardAmbassador
09-22-2011, 03:34 PM
People move and lives change and there are several people who were very successful players at their HS's that don't attend games at their alma mater. One, I know made it all the way to the NFL as a free agent and he doesn't attend LC-M games.

He works and lives in Nederland so the kiddo's attend NISD.

Now the one for sure thing to get people excited about Lamar football is winning and against the same level of competition.

You can do all the speeches at area HS's and to others in the community and I know the associate AD for athletic development and I promise you everything you mentioned they have done and then some.

Tic Price is doing some good stuff in the community check out the cardinals caring story in the Cardinal Sports forum if you haven't already.

As for HS, it's just not the same, especially with how terrible secondary education is these days. (I'm talking quality of the education you receive in HS)

Lamar football's identity is simply that it's Lamar's team and always will be. So if you went to Lamar, know someone who did, live in the golden triangle, or have some other unmentioned connection to the school then it's partially your team. I'm still in the honeymoon phase. I think things could be going much better on some fronts, especially team play, but we have positives like our game day environment and experience. We also have severe limitations and a speedy start up that was necessitated by the time frame put on this program to be competitive. It would have been nice to take an extra year to recruit but we didn't and like it or not it is going to have some negative effects.

So LU Football is Lamar's team that's their identity. If you went to Lamar or are connected to the school it's your team too.

boomer
09-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Great way to end a good run!