Lamar's Identity

Cplatt

Guys,

Being a huge LU fan and former Cardinal athlete, i am still waiting on an identity. I am confused about our QB situation. That ols saying if you have 2 QB's you dont have 1. Bevil was move to the slot last your for the Prewitt kid and now all of sudden they put him back at QB and then rotate him with Johnson. We are big up front but we are quick to abandon the running game. They need to go into tonight and say Johnson you are our QB for the next 4 yrs (if thats what they expect) so you are our guy and tell our RB that he will get 30 carries. Establish an identity and make statements. Right now we are fooling nobody but ourselves.

Cplatt

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CardAmbassador

I agree, we need an identity and have some faith in our guys.

We're only two games into the season. I'm looking for the identity to be born tonight.

We definately established an identity. Starting running back injured, use of two qbs, neither of which is a complete package, soft defensive backs, terrible kickoff and kickoff return squads and only average defensive line play. Bright spot linebackers, punter and back up running back.

Guest bigred360

IMHO, the O-line isn't over-rated as they have played 3 games together and you could throw out the first. I'm a lot more concerned with some of the play calling. It was like in the fourth quarter we quit trying to score. We run a lot better to the left and several of the plays were to the right of the formation.

Just a few stats about the offense and the O-line. IWU did not have a sack. LU had 22 first downs, 212 rushing yards for a 5.2 average (the average was less running to the right of the formation), 257 passing yards for a total of 469.

Now, the defense and special team stats. LU one fumble on a kickoff, IWU had 151 yards on 6 returns.

Defensively, IWU has 17 first downs. The Cardinals had 128 rushing yards. They had 203 passing for a total of 331.

Finally, this game should not have been close. One TD was called back due to WR holding but will have to play to our strengths, avoid penalties and TO's and try to score until the scoreboard timer reads 00:00.

I was adding it from the USA game as well, not just UIW. A lot of complaints on BRI has been about people penetrating the OL and getting to the QB. You guys landed two BIG guys, but even they seemed like they were getting beat on some one-on-one plays.

Just an observation from somewhere NOT affiliated with Lamar

Guest bigred360

Were you at the Lamar game or watched it on TV because I was at the game and my main focus on offense wasn't Bevil or Johnson as they are better than most give credit. Games are won and lost in the trenches so I was watching the line (especially Oden and Campbell). Yes, IWU got some penetration on some passing plays and we didn't run it well to the right side of the formation or going to the edge on that side.

However, Oden and Campbell were beat VERY FEW TIMES. If you had tape you could see most of Jeremy Johnsons rushing yardage was on the left side and on the edge on the left side.

I bet Oden and Campbell grade out in the high 80's for this game.

I don't think this team has an identity yet. The offense is a work in progress but it's more balanced and improving each week. Campbell and Oden have a ton of potential and with the O-line being the weak link last year, everyone was excited about these guys. Campbell came in overweight and Oden came in late and had to overcome a lot of distractions.

The defense and special teams are holding this team back now and all the injuries are making things worse. Fred Hinshaw is no longer the DC plus they changed the defense from a 4-2-5 to a 4-3. Add in some injuries and the defense is definitely struggling right now. We'll see if the coaches can right that ship.

Fred Davis brought this up at the beginning of the season in one of his articles, does this team have the depth yet to be really competitive in the SLC? The defense has been hurt the most by injuries so we'll see how well they overcome that and improve enough to handle the SLC.

Guest bigred360
I don't think this team has an identity yet. The offense is a work in progress but it's more balanced and improving each week. Campbell and Oden have a ton of potential and with the O-line being the weak link last year, everyone was excited about these guys. Campbell came in overweight and Oden came in late and had to overcome a lot of distractions.

The defense and special teams are holding this team back now and all the injuries are making things worse. Fred Hinshaw is no longer the DC plus they changed the defense from a 4-2-5 to a 4-3. Add in some injuries and the defense is definitely struggling right now. We'll see if the coaches can right that ship.

Fred Davis brought this up at the beginning of the season in one of his articles, does this team have the depth yet to be really competitive in the SLC? The defense has been hurt the most by injuries so we'll see how well they overcome that and improve enough to handle the SLC.

+1

Our defense should have been better, and I think Ray Woodard would say the same thing. He has to put that on himself, but either way we got the win, and now we have 2 weeks to prepare for Southeastern.

This will be our best test of the year up to date, no excuses if we lose this game. We played and beat this team last year, so it should be a decent measuring stick of where we are. Hopefully Bevil can continue to make better decisions than what he is known for, and the team can get healthier.

We still have a lot of season left and a lot of time to improve, although last night's effort was not the most encouraging, I still believe we can have a good year.

Just to throw in a little criticsm, how unprepared did our defense look last night? We were almost always out of position and our guys seemed to be confused over half of the time on what was going on. Hopefully RW can fix this and get these guys ready. I believe he can.

Lamar is poorly coached. That's their Identity.

A sound post...why even bother? Please stay over there on your bandwagon full of Longhorns. There are enough of you around. Had you put anything to justify your statement, I wouldn't have a problem with it. You clearly are some SETX kid too proud to affiliate yourself with lowly Lamar, so you do what everyone else does: Cheer for the Longhorns and antagonize anyone else. Here's a site for you:

http://www.hornfans.com

IMHO, the O-line isn't over-rated as they have played 3 games together and you could throw out the first. I'm a lot more concerned with some of the play calling. It was like in the fourth quarter we quit trying to score. We run a lot better to the left and several of the plays were to the right of the formation.

Just a few stats about the offense and the O-line. IWU did not have a sack. LU had 22 first downs, 212 rushing yards for a 5.2 average (the average was less running to the right of the formation), 257 passing yards for a total of 469.

Now, the defense and special team stats. LU one fumble on a kickoff, IWU had 151 yards on 6 returns.

Defensively, IWU has 17 first downs. The Cardinals had 128 rushing yards. They had 203 passing for a total of 331.

Finally, this game should not have been close. One TD was called back due to WR holding but will have to play to our strengths, avoid penalties and TO's and try to score until the scoreboard timer reads 00:00.

This was never TW's style while at Sam...get a lead and play not to lose is how he rolls so get used to it.

A sound post...why even bother? Please stay over there on your bandwagon full of Longhorns. There are enough of you around. Had you put anything to justify your statement, I wouldn't have a problem with it. You clearly are some SETX kid too proud to affiliate yourself with lowly Lamar, so you do what everyone else does: Cheer for the Longhorns and antagonize anyone else. Here's a site for you:

I didnt see anything wrong with hookem14's comment. Is there some truth that Lamar, specifically on defense is struggling? Maybe it is the coaching? I went to the game Saturday and to a few games last year and Lamar has some solid athletes on the team. Theres no reason to be allowing the yards they did against a school from the Lone Star conference. I cant understand why you guys blast people on this forum for being Texas fans and commenting. If his name wouldve been Cardinals14 I dont think anyone wouldve said a thing. I went to UT but live in the area and pull for Lamar and there are likely many more like me so I'd get used to seeing Texas and Texas A&M fans on here. Mike is a friend of mine and I know he encourages it. Heck he was the one that told me about his forum and asked me if id visit.

I didnt see anything wrong with hookem14's comment. Is there some truth that Lamar, specifically on defense is struggling? Maybe it is the coaching? I went to the game Saturday and to a few games last year and Lamar has some solid athletes on the team. Theres no reason to be allowing the yards they did against a school from the Lone Star conference. I cant understand why you guys blast people on this forum for being Texas fans and commenting. If his name wouldve been Cardinals14 I dont think anyone wouldve said a thing. I went to UT but live in the area and pull for Lamar and there are likely many more like me so I'd get used to seeing Texas and Texas A&M fans on here. Mike is a friend of mine and I know he encourages it. Heck he was the one that told me about his forum and asked me if id visit.

m/,

If he had posted as you have done (given some reasoning), like I said, I would've found no problem with it. It was clear though that he just wanted to say something irritating to stir us up. "Lamar is poorly coached. That's their identity." ???? Really? That's not a stab at us? I don't have a problem with someone posting and saying why they think so, but this is clearly someone seeing a chance to throw a comment out there with no evident reasoning why. I've seen YOUR posts. They are nothing of the sort. I mentioned the Longhorn thing to Hookem because he hasn't contributed anything to the topic. JJWooten's posts above are not like this. He is a Bearkat, and he talks about why he says the things he does instead of just getting us all going with some comment like that.

Also, the bold comment above is not true. If someone just comes on and says, "Lamar's problem is they suck." I'd tell them to go cheer on OU or UT if they can't handle the lulls that are inevitable with a new program. I'm not partial to fans. I'm partial to my team/school.

m/,

If he had posted as you have done (given some reasoning), like I said, I would've found no problem with it. It was clear though that he just wanted to say something irritating to stir us up. "Lamar is poorly coached. That's their identity." ???? Really? That's not a stab at us? I don't have a problem with someone posting and saying why they think so, but this is clearly someone seeing a chance to throw a comment out there with no evident reasoning why. I've seen YOUR posts. They are nothing of the sort. I mentioned the Longhorn thing to Hookem because he hasn't contributed anything to the topic. JJWooten's posts above are not like this. He is a Bearkat, and he talks about why he says the things he does instead of just getting us all going with some comment like that.

I think its awesome how passionate you are about Lamar but i still think he was just straight and to the point with his response and didnt deserve to be called out for it. The coaching must improve or LU will have a rough go in the SLC. I don't think anyone can really argue that point. If anything i wouldve taken it as a compliment towards the talent level on the football team, they arent getting coached up and thats their identidy.

m/,

I think its awesome how passionate you are about Lamar but i still think he was just straight and to the point with his response and didnt deserve to be called out for it. The coaching must improve or LU will have a rough go in the SLC. I don't think anyone can really argue that point. If anything i wouldve taken it as a compliment towards the talent level on the football team, they arent getting coached up and thats their identidy.

Thank you. Had he said any of that, I wouldn't have called him out.

Guest Hookem14
Apparently not everyone understands that very frequently in society people say things that we do not want to hear or do not agree with. My suggestion to those people would be to put on your grown up pants and realize that is life.

Apparently not everyone understands that very frequently in society people say things that we do not want to hear or do not agree with. My suggestion to those people would be to put on your grown up pants and realize that is life.

Great point...I guess. My reasoning for saying what I said is I don't intend on going to UT and saying saying "UT is full of a bunch of high-horse bigots who think it's a privilege to play them in any sport." Regardless of whether or not it is what I may think, the fact of the matter is it shows no class to say this to a "room" full of Lamar fans. Quite honestly, I don't think that UT is that at all. I was a Texas fan before I attended Lamar and still always want them to do well. Let's face it...UT represents the state of Texas. However, it would seem that making a sneer comment about a university on the forum dedicated to that university shows little class. Do you not agree? You still have yet to give any reasoning to establish merit regarding your statement. What about the coaching do you think is "poor"? Was the play-calling off? Did you not like our depth chart for this game? Was the two-QB situation a problem for you?

If you had answered any of these questions (or any other question you may have had in mind) in your post, I would not have "called you out". However, you simply stated we have poor coaching. I know (and I think all LU fans know) that Lamar is not and will not ever be as elite as Texas. So why beat us down when we aren't even on the same level?

This is what gets me: If someone is on here with the name Hookem, do you really think he is bashing Lamar so as to make UT look better? Come on man. You remind me of someone I used to know from Bridge City. He would always try to compare their Cardinals to the WOS/PNG/Centrals of the world when they could never compete. Any time someone said something about BC, he would flip. Its ok to be critical. Obviously, if the guy is on here commenting then he is probably a fan of Lamar too. I dont think he would just be bashing Lamar just for the fun of it.