PDA

View Full Version : Audio: NW St post game presser

coachacola
09-22-2011, 08:19 PM
now posted.

LINK: http://bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=437&catid=1

Mike
10-09-2011, 04:20 PM
bump

bigred360
10-09-2011, 10:45 PM
If Coach Woodard is disappointed with the attendance keep losing to conference rivals by 20 points. Keep talking about how great the other team is and how hard our team fought.

We may be a second year program but the team is loaded with seniors and is probably one of the older teams in the conference.

LU4LIFE
10-09-2011, 11:12 PM
If Coach Woodard is disappointed with the attendance keep losing to conference rivals by 20 points. Keep talking about how great the other team is and how hard our team fought.

We may be a second year program but the team is loaded with seniors and is probably one of the older teams in the conference.

I couldn't agree more with you BR360. Woodard needs to stop giving the other team credit after loses and start holding his players more accountable. If Woodard wants more people in the stands he got's to realize that this program is not a brand new anymore an the newness has worn off an winning will put the fans in the stands.

Davis
10-10-2011, 02:33 PM
In all fairness to Coach Woodard, this is only the first conference game that Lamar has lost by 20 points. And I'll admit, I was a wee bit disappointed with the crowd Saturday night. This is a good football team, and I'm not sure what people are looking for with a second year program that had a 3-1 record going into Saturday night. And as far as losing to Northwestern State goes, you've got to give that team credit. That was a very physical, well-coached football team that has one of the best defenses Lamar is going to see all season.

And let's be honest for a second - Lamar played a good football game for mostly three quarters Saturday night, but that second quarter killed them. And third down defense continues to be a problem for this group.

Having talked to Coach Peveto and some other members of the NWSt coaching staff this weekend, as well as the coaching staffs from four of the five teams Lamar has played this year, Lamar has a good football team and these coaches will tell you that. They've all said mostly the same thing, very good offense, the defense a work in progress. And yes, there are plenty of seniors on this team, but the depth still isn't there for this team as it continues to grow, and defensively, this team still has room to grow physically.

I'm not trying to be a cheerleader here, but people need to realize - this is a second year program playing in the best conference in FCS football, and they're 3-2 this year, and just lost to a very good Northwestern State program. As I've said in columns and on my radio show, there are going to be bumps along the way. This team is making progress, they're looking good in the second half, and did again for the most part - save for the 54-yard screen pass touchdown - on Saturday night. Woodard has these guys playing hard with a lot of effort, and nights like Saturday night are going to happen. But this team has been hit with a rash of injuries, and I'll say it again, the Northwestern defense made life difficult for Lamar, their quarterback had his best game of the season, and this team has to get better on special teams and getting off the field on third downs. Now is not the time to start jumping off the bandwagon and bagging on Woodard because he doesn't like the crowd. Give the guy credit for being honest. This is a good football team, I truly believe that and they're going to win some games that at the beginning of the year they had no business winning.

bigred360
10-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Great post Mr. Davis and I'll admit I was upset about the crowd, the problems with Entergy, the late start to the game and the way we played mainly in the 2nd quarter.

However, I stand by my statements about the special teams.

This is one guy who will never jump off the bandwagon and I'll be there even if we lose the rest of our games.

Why? I'm a Cardinal and I bleed red and white. Go LU!

coachacola
10-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Well said Davis. But as far as attendance goes and the harsh criticism of Woodard, IMHO the only way for that to stop is if Lamar wins 7 or 8 games every year. Lamar has a history of disappointing the fans, from mostly losing in the 70s and 80s, and then finally killing the program 20 years ago. Both Lamar and Woodard are going to have to do more than just have a decent football team to win over SETX. But I think over time if they can win and win big then Lamar will have a very loyal fan base and will draw great crowds.

05BigRed
10-10-2011, 04:01 PM
well im no football coach, but this response is only a question...im not hammering or ragging on the coaches, but simply asking, do you think our coaching staff is qualified at the D1 level?

this is not a rash question just because of this loss, just something ive pondering even last season up through last game...alot of the play calling, countless penalties because the correct players arent on the field, coaches prior experience just made me wonder...thoughts?