LU vs. UIW

geezer

Lamar gives up one run in the bottom of the first but get seven in the top of the 2nd to go up 10-1 going into the bottom of the 2nd. LU gives back another run in the bottom of the 2nd but picked up four more in the top of the 3rd.

Hibbs pitched five innings which should be enough to get him the win and with the big lead why push him. He had a good workout. Lamar added two runs in the 7th and two more in the 8th before the relievers gave up four in the bottom of the 8th. After eight innings Lamar is up 20-6. Hope we saved some runs for the rest of the weekend.

I listened to a good bit of the game on TSRN and the UIW announcers were talking about a mercy rule that was needed. Apparently they got smoked by SELA not long ago worse than Lamar beat them. At the time they were talking about it was in the second inning after LU went up 10-1. Lamar needs to keep on pouring it on the rest of the weekend. Go Cards!

Lamar wins 3-1. Both teams had opportunities in the 7th and 8th but both pitching staffs were able to work out of trouble. Billy Love got the win and Eddy Fernandez got the save. Reid Russell and Cutter McDowell and Jake Nash led the way for Lamar's offense. LU has won the series and now they need to go out and finish off the sweep. Nice job Cards!

With the loss Lamar drops two games behind SELA who continues to hold first place. Lamar will need to rise to the occasion and sweep SELA next weekend. Lamar is currently in third place one game behind Sam who the Cards get in two weeks. Edited by geezer

Damn! This is such a bad loss. UIW is really a bad team and Lamar had no business losing to them. No use crying over spilled milk because we still control our own destiny. I agree Rice would be a nice way to get back on track and provide some momentum going into the weekend. If Lamar had beaten UIW yesterday I would care much what happened with Rice but now I think it would be important to get a win. Go Cards!

The remainder of the season is about seeding for the post-season tourney and getting in a position for a possible at large berth in the NCAA tourney. With the current standings in the conference Lamar has an eight game lead in the loss column on ninth place HBU so even if the Cards lost every remaining regular season game they would still make the conference tourney, but I don't think that is what anyone will be satisfied with. A win over Rice will help with the possible at large berth and beyond that LU still needs to take at least two out of three in the final three conference series.