Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sun Belt Conference Expansion

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Sun Belt Conference Expansion

Its looking more and more like UTSA is going to the SBC. There are quite a few articles out there saying it now. Additionally, it will be interesting to see what happens with the alliance over the next few months. I don't think there will be as much movement as everyone thought initially. The Alliance might take a couple of teams this year, but that is about it. They are going to be so busy working out the details of how this alliance thing is going to work that they wont have much time to send out many invites.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Another article from a South Alabama perspective:

Earlier this week, it was made known that three Sun Belt schools were talking with the new Mountain West/C-USA Alliance. University of North Texas, Florida Atlantic and Florida International as well as pretty much every WAC school are talking with them about possible membership.

Also it was made known by Brett McMurphy of CBS Sports that UNC-Charlotte and UT-San Antonio could possibly join the Sun Belt as soon as the 2013-2014 season. However nothing has yet been decided.

Louisana Tech has made it known somewhat, that they would not mind joining the Sun Belt. But they may be holding out hope of joining the MWC/C-USA conglomeration.

Other schools that have been mentioned as possible expansion talks are Appalachian State, Texas State, UT-Arlington, Lamar, Georgia Southern and Georgia State.
    Link: http://www.thunderjags.com/2012/03/1...ers-expansion/
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” ~George Carlin

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I tend to doubt we are a sunbelt target. I still think (if we choose to accept!!) our best hope is the WAC.

Quote Originally Posted by "coachacola" post=34530
    Another article from a South Alabama perspective:

Earlier this week, it was made known that three Sun Belt schools were talking with the new Mountain West/C-USA Alliance. University of North Texas, Florida Atlantic and Florida International as well as pretty much every WAC school are talking with them about possible membership.

Also it was made known by Brett McMurphy of CBS Sports that UNC-Charlotte and UT-San Antonio could possibly join the Sun Belt as soon as the 2013-2014 season. However nothing has yet been decided.

Louisana Tech has made it known somewhat, that they would not mind joining the Sun Belt. But they may be holding out hope of joining the MWC/C-USA conglomeration.

Other schools that have been mentioned as possible expansion talks are Appalachian State, Texas State, UT-Arlington, LAMAR, Georgia Southern and Georgia State.
    Link: http://www.thunderjags.com/2012/03/1...ers-expansion/

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Interesting Twitter posts concerning the WAC and Sun Belt from Jon Wilner (who covers the WAC and SJSU):

MWC/CUSA officials considering half dozen xpansion candidates, including Utah State, San Jose State, UTSA, LaTech, N Tex and FIU
    If SJSU & USU join new conference, hard to imagine how WAC football continues in current form.
    One possible option is alliance with Sun belt if SB loses teams to MWC/CUSA super conference
    Sun Belt has asked Charlotte (adding fball) if it would be interested in joining
    NCAA may be forced to take action to salvage 6-8-10 FBS programs if realignment severely damages WAC/Sun Belt.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” ~George Carlin

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Crawfish

This one (GSU to Belt) kind of caught me off-guard. I guess it is a good LONG TERM move for the belt, but it will be some time before they are competitive in football. This will make for a lower RPI for Belt teams, especially with USA making the move up to FBS.

Advantages for GSU: large student body, lots of alumni nearby, and large market area. (but they do not yet own that market)

I still think Texas State could be next, but we'll see.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Looks like Georgia State will be officially invited on Monday.

Link: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...uncment-monday

Also, another article with Sun Belt commish Benson.

Georgia State and other potential Sun Belt members such as Texas-San Antonio, Texas State and Charlotte would fall into that latter pattern and there are other schools primarily in the Sun Belt footprint considering FBS status as well.

Benson said that continuing to nurse developing football programs may continue to be the league's profile.

"I don't see that as a negative at all," he said. "Our foundation is tremendous and our potential is very strong. We have several universities which have expressed interest, so regardless of what happens, we will be prepared."
    Link: http://www.nola.com/sports/index.ssf...son_likes.html

Georgia State makes 11 football schools, they want to get to at least 12. UNT and FIU are probably moving to the CUSA. UTSA is also getting a good look from the CUSA/MWC conferences. I see a lot of shuffling happening this summer.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

GA State joining the Sun Belt is a good thing for a Lamar. It pushes the conference a little further east, but doesn't preclude them adding a school like since the travel from Atlanta to Beaumont is about the same as the trip from Atlanta to the Metroplex.

Here's my rationale:
    SMU is moving to the Big East
    The new C-USA wants to continue a presence in the Metroplex and UNT's profile is higher than that of UT-A, so that makes them more attractive to the new C-USA.
    Most of the Sun Belt would consider Lamar's grasp on Beaumont as appetizing as North Texas' profile in the Metroplex (in other words, how UNT is barely on their radar) AND Lamar is about the same drive as the Metroplex.
    The logistics of getting to Huntsville or Nacogdoches are tougher, as they're not on a highway that heads toward the meat of the conference.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

There's several factors that could work out in Lamar's favor. First, Benson has said the Sun Belt wants to maintain a Texas presence and they are still considering FCS schools. That basically means UTSA, Texas State and Lamar. Second, the CUSA/MWC alliance wants at least 18 schools and they are seriously looking at FIU, UNT and UTSA. Third, Lamar is a former member of the Sun Belt and Dr. Simmons has said he prefers Lamar go back there. What concerns me is that there has been no talk whatsoever from anyone at Lamar about going FBS for over a year. Maybe that's only because they've been waiting to see what happens with all the shuffling that's been going on. But if there's 3 or 4 spots available in the Sun Belt then I think Lamar has a decent chance of getting invited if that's what Dr. Simmons wants to do.

Crawfish

For what it is worth, I think Benson would like to add 3 more to get to 14. I think one of those may be a non-football school to balance UALR. I would not be surprised if Texas State gets the next invite. I think they may only be waiting until they find out how the Alliance mess comes out. If the conference does lose UNT and FIU, I think Lamar's chances are good IF Dr. Simmons thinks they are ready to make the jump and the committment.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by "Crawfish" post=35694
    For what it is worth, I think Benson would like to add 3 more to get to 14. I think one of those may be a non-football school to balance UALR. I would not be surprised if Texas State gets the next invite. I think they may only be waiting until they find out how the Alliance mess coomes out. If the conference does lose UNT and FIU, I think Lamar's chances are good IF Dr. Simmons thinks they are ready to make the jump and the committment.
    I agree with you. We'll have to wait and see how things play out.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Another article out of Lafayette LA from a few days ago regarding the future of the Sun Belt.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article...7t-settled-yet

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Not only does LU get mentioned by name in the article, but Benson states he is looking for schools with stronger men's basketball. UTA gets props for going to the tournament in 2008. HELLO, we went this year and have Pat Knight as head coach..... Plus we have football...

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Latest article from the Lafayette La. newspaper:

Presidents and chancellors of Sun Belt Conference schools will meet Monday "to discuss the next course of action" regarding its membership, the league revealed Friday.
    That word came shortly before it was reported Friday afternoon that the Sun Belt could be at risk for losing a third member, in addition to North Texas and Florida International, to Conference USA.
    It also came shortly ESPN.com, citing an unidentified source, reported Friday afternoon that "Texas Arlington plans to accept an invitation to join the Sun Belt Conference, pending the approval of the school's board of regents."
    The Sun Belt, of which UL is a member, is known to have had the University of Texas-Arlington, which does not field a football program, under consideration for quite some time.
    The Sun Belt also is known to be considering whether to try to push its membership, which as of now will include 10 football-playing schools and one non-football-playing school (UALR) in 2013, to 12 football-playing members.
    But now it could be in danger of losing Middle Tennessee, too.
    Link: http://www.theadvertiser.com/article...ference-shifts