Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sun Belt Conference Expansion

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Sun Belt Conference Expansion

App. State AD discussing how media markets are driving conference expansion and how that hurts App. State.

Link: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/...-strategy.html
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” ~George Carlin

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Karl Benson interview from today:

Sun Belt Commissioner Karl Benson said on Monday morning that, at this point, an invitation to New Mexico State University for inclusion into the league "has not even been discussed."

Benson has said in past interviews that the Sun Belt would look inside their geographic footprint, currently from Florida to East Texas, before looking to expand outside of that region.

On Sunday, an Appalachian State University athletics internet blog indicated that NMSU and Appalachian State would receive invitations into the Sun Belt.

Benson said on Monday that expansion west of Texas "has yet to be discussed," and added such conversation likely wouldn't take place until the conference holds its Board of Directors and Athletics Directors Meetings on May 22.
    Are there any schools in east Texas that have expressed an interest in joining the Sun Belt? :-\

Link: http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces...msu-invitation
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” ~George Carlin

NorthoftheBorder

Coach, we can only hope. As we can readily see, Appy State and NM are actively pursuing (and Appy State is FCS) but LU is very silent about conference expansion which does not make me comfortable that we are even pursuing FBS.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

From reading the Sun Belt forum it appears App. State will not get invited this year. It's still unknown if UTA will get an invite or not, but if they do that would put the Sun Belt at 10/12 for this coming year. 12 football schools seems to be the goal.

The Sun Belt's annual meeting will start May 24, which is a couple of days after the TSUS BOR meetings in Beaumont. The regents will need to approve any move by LU to another conference so I'll keep checking the TSUS website to see if that gets put on the agenda. If not then we'll know for sure LU isn't going anywhere this year.

I think the Sun Belt will wait and invite 2 football schools next spring. There's still a lot of movement going on so this probably won't end for a few more years. Spending an extra year or two at the FCS level would be good for LU, IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Some interesting tweets from Jack at bobcatreport.com:

Ok #sunbelt peeps, you hear the talk re: GA Southern, App St, NMSU, and Idaho. Who do you want? Me: Lamar + NMSU, and FAU in div w ULL, ULM
    Las Cruces, Beaumont, Miami, Monroe, and Lafayette. Sounds good to me.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

It's no secret Jack is a big Lamar fan when it comes to expansion but it really depends on what the Sun Belt and specifically Lamar administrators want.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Where's LAZEEK? He seems to have some good connections at Lamar. Maybe he can chime in and let us know if he's heard anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

If we where to get an invite to the SBC with a helpful push from TxSt. An interesting rivalry game could be set up and played in Houston at Reliant Arena. If it was promoted properly, it could be made into a big draw and make money for both schools. Although this is not always a good idea just due to the rental costs of such an endeavor. But it would be interesting to see if something like that could help with TV money / Houston promotion for LU.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

http://www.thunderjags.com/2012/03/1...ers-expansion/

Older article, but it mentions us.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I asked jack directly if he has heard any talk of LU in expansion talks and he said "No, I wish". Which I think we all knew.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The TSUS board of regents meetings are in Beaumont in a few weeks so they should be releasing the agenda online soon. If there's no mention of Lamar changing conferences then we'll know it's not happening this year.

From what I've read, it's doubtful that App State or Georgia Southern will get invited to the Sun Belt this year either. I still think Dr. Simmons would like Lamar to move to the Sun Belt but needs more time to get everything in order.

I would like to see New Mexico State join with Lamar for a western division of NMSU, TxSt, LU, Ark St, ULL and ULM in football. The east would have USA, Troy, FAU, GaSt, WKU and MTSU. That wouldn't be a bad basketball conference either.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=coachacola link=topic=32235.msg37289#msg37289 date=1336607147]
    The TSUS board of regents meetings are in Beaumont in a few weeks so they should be releasing the agenda online soon. If there's no mention of Lamar changing conferences then we'll know it's not happening this year.

From what I've read, it's doubtful that App State or Georgia Southern will get invited to the Sun Belt this year either. I still think Dr. Simmons would like Lamar to move to the Sun Belt but needs more time to get everything in order.

I would like to see New Mexico State join with Lamar for a western division of NMSU, TxSt, LU, Ark St, ULL and ULM in football. The east would have USA, Troy, FAU, GaSt, WKU and MTSU. That wouldn't be a bad basketball conference either.
    [/quote]

I completely agree. This would be a dream conf for LU. The only thing is if the Big East expansion happens, TxSt could end up in the MWC and at that point it all starts to get jumbled again.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

They have ok facilities at ULL, but we need to win win win in football, bottom line. Thats the only port that gets your program recognition. Next, you got to fill the seats, period. Cant wait to see our softball field.
    Cplatt
    2 Corinthians 12:10

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=Cplatt link=topic=32235.msg37352#msg37352 date=1336667062]
    They have ok facilities at ULL, but we need to win win win in football, bottom line. Thats the only port that gets your program recognition. Next, you got to fill the seats, period. Cant wait to see our softball field.
    Cplatt
    [/quote]

I think Pat Knight and everything the basketball team accomplished this year would prove that there is no one sport that gets an athletics program recognition.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

http://www.thunderjags.com/category/...lt-conference/

^^^ South Alabama fan forum folks think LU is getting overlooked. It's nice to have recent foes seeing how our facilities, etc. are FBS-caliber.