2013 Lamar Cardinals Basketball Recruits

BRI Staff

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CardAmbassador

I'm a little worried about the lack of size on this roster. Good Idea to pick up some Juco's after last season's dearth of experience we cannot afford to rely on only freshman.

Really really need an improvement on perimeter defense if we hope to compete with anyone next year.

I agree with CA, maybe you don't have to have a decent 6-9 or taller player to win but if you don't have one then I don't think you can have more than one player less than 6-3 on the court most of the time because if the other team has a decent post you will have to play to much help defense and that will kill your perimeter defense.

I'm not as concerned with the size of the player as I am the mentality of the player. Our best teams in the last few years didn't have a great rebounder that had size. Lamar Sanders was 6'5" at best and he was the anchor of a very good team. Remember Devon Lamb was our best rebounder two years ago at 6'2". With an aggressive, hardworking 6'5" to 6'7" we can compete.

Guest CardAmbassador

Yes but if a team has a 6'10 or taller guy I'd like us to have at least one guy on the court taller than 6'7" to defend him.

I completely agree that rebounders really need work ethic more than anything else. Rebounding is the most tiring part of basketball IMO.

Yes but if a team has a 6'10 or taller guy I'd like us to have at least one guy on the court taller than 6'7" to defend him.

If we are playing a team with a skilled 6'10 player, then we are most likely playing a top 25 basketball team.

If we are playing a team in the Southland Conference with a 6'10 player, then he most certainly will not be skilled and they will be lucky if he can dribble and chew gum.

I go back to two years ago, whenever the only big men on our team were Stan and Osas, and they both played very minimal roles when it came to the box score. I am worried about this teams ability to score. Hopefully Rhon, Keilan, and Donnell progress tremendously this offseason.

A 6-10 or bigger post doesn't have to be that skilled to control the game against a smaller line up. Sanders senior year McNeese had Penn at 7-0 and he controlled just enough of the game to open it up for the rest of their team against us. Maybe you can get by if you average bigger at the other positions than the team you are playing but you are not going to win consistently.

Guest eagle eye
Size alone isn't a guarantee the player will be effective. Remember 7 footer BJ McClendon? A stud in his Arkansas high school years we found out he could barely walk and chew gum at the same time. I saw him come into a game and foul out within 3 and half minutes. I'll take a 6-9 player over a guy like McClendon any time.

Won't argue that size brings any guarntees, but neither does shooting percentage. Facts are when a player moves to D-1 NCAA basketball they rarely have played consistently against anyone close to their ability during their high school or juco years.

Updated List:

Anthony Holliday 6'4 Guard

Marcus Owens 6'4 Guard

Nimrod Hilliard IV 6'1 Guard

Terrence Traylor 6'7 Forward

Donovan Ross 6'5 Forward

Tyran de Lattibeaudiere- 6'5 Forward

Octavius Green 6'7 Forward

Darryl Baker 6'2 Guard (Fall 2014)

Returning Players:

Rhon Mitchell 6'5 Forward

Amos Wilson 6'5 Forward

Donnell Minton 6'0 Guard

Sebastian Norman 6'9 Forward

Keilan Blanks 5'9 Guard

Matt Hancock 6'4 Guard

Brennan Doty 6'3 Guard

That's probably it for this recruiting class.

Terrence Traylor is NOT coming to LU now. Not sure why, but know that he is not coming!!!