2013 Lamar Cardinals Basketball Recruits

BRI Staff

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*sigh* This is really frustrating, to hear this from someone who's usually right about the rumor mill.

To me, this really only leaves Mitchell, Wilson, Blanks, and *maybe* Minton as guys I want to see back next year. I really don't think the rest are D-I talent. And if Minton can't learn to can the wide-open three teams give him every single possession from the top of the key, I'm not sure he's ever going to work out either.

Sadly, this means that even if Coach Knight has a good recruiting class, we're probably looking at another long year next year given what will be yet another really young and inexperienced team.

*sigh* This is really frustrating, to hear this from someone who's usually right about the rumor mill.

To me, this really only leaves Mitchell, Wilson, Blanks, and *maybe* Minton as guys I want to see back next year. I really don't think the rest are D-I talent. And if Minton can't learn to can the wide-open three teams give him every single possession from the top of the key, I'm not sure he's ever going to work out either.

Sadly, this means that even if Coach Knight has a good recruiting class, we're probably looking at another long year next year given what will be yet another really young and inexperienced team.

you're going to be frustrated because I 100% agree with LAZEEK on Muepo.

6'9" Michale Kyser is having a good year at La Tech and he's only a sophomore. He was one of Coach Roc's recruits that left when Roc got fired. That's three good players Roc recruited that either flunked out or left since Knight has been hired. Knight needs to step up his recruiting skills or next year will be as dismal as this one.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to find out about any basketball vistors that have recently visited the campus? But I know that we got some the new guys, and I think that they will be alright , but I know that it usually takes a year for them to get accustomed to the speed of the game in college and the things surrounding college like watching your own clothes, and taking care of things in the classroom!!!!! But when we get a few more pieces to add to the puzzle, we will be alright!!!!!!!

Go Cards,

Knightman

Come on geezer. After the year this program had, lets be happy that our coaches are bringing in a guy that is this good. This kid has legit offers from the best programs in the Midwest.

While I agree that sometimes highlight films can be deceiving, but come on, it's been a long time since Lamar has had a kid do things like that.

And I'm sure that if the kid was able to play right away, he would be attending IU or Louisville or one of the other countless high major programs that offered him.

All I know, is I saw coach Carroll dancing a jig yesterday morning out in his front lawn. He seemed to think that this was a pretty big deal, so I will join him in his enthusiasm. I'm happy that the staff's recruiting efforts are starting to pay off, and I hope that they have a few more rabbits to pull out of the hat.

Meanwhile, be happy Geezer, Lamar landed a big fish.

Got to agree here. We don't get players that are ranked this highly--clearly the year he'll have to sit played a role in us landing him. But Rhon Mitchell, who had to do the same, was the sole bright spot in this awful season, and should have a really good career at LU. While Darryl doesn't help us next year, it's a great burst of energy for a program that needed some good news.

Now go find us a point guard, some beef, and a three-point shooter. (Hoping that the HS kid might fill that shooting need, but we need more than one...)

We can thank Coach Wilkerson for playing the biggest role in the Cards landing Darryl!!!!!! I know that he is going to have a great career here at Lamar!!!!! I can't wait to see the big guys that join the ranks, in the near future!!!!!! I have no names or anything, but I know the staff is working their tails off to get the best young people that they can get to be Cardinals, because you can bet your bottom dollar, that as much as we as fans suffered through the season, Nobody suffered more than Pat, the staff, and the young men that are in the basketball program!!!!! And things will get turned around quickly, you can bet on that!!!!!!

Go Cards!!!!!!

Knightman

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I must be missing something on the roster next year. You said we've got eight scholarship players and one walk-on in Doty. I'm only coming up with seven...

Rhon Mitchell

Amos Wilson

Donnell Minton

Keilan Blanks

Hondo Webb

Sebastian Norman

Matt Hancock

From this year's roster, Brown, Minor, and Acosta all graduated, while Osas and Muepo are off the team. What am I missing?

It does look like Ross is actually 6'5" rather than 6'7": most of the sources I'm seeing that listed him at 6'7" were from his high school recruiting days or his freshman year at SE Louisiana. His JuCo roster lists him at 6'5". Oh, well.

He has visited UGA and he's got a visit scheduled to Middle Tennessee State, you know the school who received an at-large bid and won 28 games on the year. I'd put the chances of us landing this kid at slim but he would be a game changer if we could. Hopefully the staff can work some magic.

• 3 weeks later...

Updated List:

Anthony Holliday 6'4 Guard

Marcus Owens 6'4 Guard

Nimrod Hilliard IV 6'1 Guard

Terrence Traylor 6'7 Forward

Donovan Ross 6'5 Forward

Tyran de Lattibeaudiere- 6'5 Forward

Darryl Baker 6'2 Guard (Fall 2014)

Returning Players:

Rhon Mitchell 6'5 Forward

Amos Wilson 6'5 Forward

Donnell Minton 6'0 Guard

Sebastian Norman 6'9 Forward

Keilan Blanks 5'9 Guard

Matt Hancock 6'4 Guard

Brennan Doty 6'3 Guard

If Doty is a walk on then that's 12 scholarships so Pat Knight can sign one more player, correct?

I think you're correct. I like the size of the players recruited this year. From what I've seen on Nimrod Hilliard, I would bet he is our starter at point guard with Minton and Blanks seeing good minutes there also. Anthony Holliday also played point at Cerritos although I bet he will primarily be our shooting guard. Blanks can also play a small shooting guard position. We have filled the holes with the exception of a 6'8"-6'10" type big guy. I don't know if we have one on our radar, but it would be nice if that is our final signee.

I initially made some negative comments about Traylor, but I think I misspoke. I now think he was a freshmen at Cerritos and made some decent contributions for a 1st year player. If I'm right, we will have him for 3 years. I like this class.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated List:

Anthony Holliday 6'4 Guard

Marcus Owens 6'4 Guard

Nimrod Hilliard IV 6'1 Guard

Terrence Traylor 6'7 Forward

Donovan Ross 6'5 Forward

Tyran de Lattibeaudiere- 6'5 Forward

Octavius Green 6'7 Forward

Darryl Baker 6'2 Guard (Fall 2014)

Returning Players:

Rhon Mitchell 6'5 Forward

Amos Wilson 6'5 Forward

Donnell Minton 6'0 Guard

Sebastian Norman 6'9 Forward

Keilan Blanks 5'9 Guard

Matt Hancock 6'4 Guard

Brennan Doty 6'3 Guard

That's probably it for this recruiting class.