*Rumored Lamar to FBS discussion*

LU1991

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

id prefer to have all the facilities upgraded and give the football team another year or two to get established.we also have to start the softball team.with that being said if we get the opportunity to go fbs i say we jump head first.may not get another chance for a long time.tx st,utsa,la tech and ull have nothing on us.ive read on each of there boards that we are below them.i think its the opposite.i see lamar having more to offer an fbs conference than any of those schools.we have between 400k-500k people to draw on.we have better attendance with the expception of football(not for long)and dont have a major university down the road.community support is on the rise and alumni donations are through the roof.bring these @$%^*^# on!!!

Guest CardAmbassador

Here is what I find funny. USU is complaining about the addition of the Texas schools. I'm thinking in a very short time maybe 2 or 3 years after we join the Texas schools could be the best in the entire conference. Utah State already has a poor preforming football team, UTSA and TXstate's budgets will increase dramatically over the next few years. With access to better recruits I could see Txstate, utsa or both becoming WAC power houses.

In all honesty I'm not afraid of LU competing with the current wac members I'm afraid of us competing with a WAC and Texas State that have alot more money to throw around than we do.

USU and the remaining WAC might find themselves very much in need of those two in the coming decade if things stay together.

Guest bigred360
I say we leave for the WAC. Make all the upgrades lucards is talking about and ALWAYS be on the look out to leave for a more regional conference. JMO.

Guest CardAmbassador

bigred360 wrote:

I say we leave for the WAC. Make all the upgrades lucards is talking about and ALWAYS be on the look out to leave for a more regional conference. JMO.

Are you as worried as me that the WAC invite might not come?

The Lefredrick Ford incident did shake my confidence in our "sources."

There are two facts that make me feel other wise though.

It's hard to determine what an individual is going to do and Ford may have changed his mind at the last moment.

Lazeek and AAW both stated the invite has already been sent, that's something that is alot harder to get wrong.

I'm also worried that maybe they reject the WAC invite and hope they get a Sun Belt or C-USA invite.

Does anyone know if we can accept the WAC invite and then dump it later for another conference invite?

I have my doubts too. I'm guessing we'll know this month if Lamar will go to the WAC or not. I don't think they'll say anything unless they do actually accept the invite. I would also guess any invite would come with strings attached so Lamar just couldn't turn around and go to the Sun Belt.

Guest bigred360

CardAmbassador wrote:

bigred360 wrote:

Are you as worried as me that the WAC invite might not come? Yes, but I'm not worried as it could be a blessing. We have to upgrade our facilities, starting winning in the revenue producing sports and start a softball team and build facilites. I think there are going to be other shake-ups in conferences in the future.

The Lefredrick Ford incident did shake my confidence in our "sources." I though we would get him but the source I talked to stated he called Jeremy Johnson and they hit it off pretty good and based on that I felt there was a chance. However, I was told a couple of months ago Ford to SFA was a done deal. Guess that all goes with recruiting.

There are two facts that make me feel other wise though.

It's hard to determine what an individual is going to do and Ford may have changed his mind at the last moment. No, I'm afraid Ford is a LumberJack for the next four or five years.

Lazeek and AAW both stated the invite has already been sent, that's something that is alot harder to get wrong. True, but I wouldn't bet my pay check on it.

I'm also worried that maybe they reject the WAC invite and hope they get a Sun Belt or C-USA invite. No, there are teams in better position than Lamar for a C-USA invite and the administration at Lamar knows this. We don't have the money to make that move yet.

Does anyone know if we can accept the WAC invite and then dump it later for another conference invite? Yes, but I'm sure the will be a buy out fee which could be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Would not be a good move in my opinion

coachacola wrote:

Someone on katfans.com says he has a buddy that works for the NCAA and was told that the WAC will officially announce two new teams on Monday. Nothing like another rumor!

I spoke to a source in the Lamar athletic dept and asked this question point blank and they responded with...."I have no idea." So, it could be theres nothing to LU going to the WAC or it could be a smokescreen. My personal opinion is if offered, they'd accept.

I guess stay tuned.....

7:40 Update

Spoke to another source and they told me there's "a very strong possibility" that this (LU to WAC) happens. If fact, the reason the rumored TCU vs LU football match-up hasn't materialized is because of politics involving the SLC and them assuming LU is leaving the conference.

The source knew nothing of an announcement by the WAC tomorrow but said anything is possible.

Stay tuned....

9:00 Update:

Spoke to yet another LU source and when asked about the Cardinals to WAC their response was "I don't think its gonna happen." So chalk up another wave in the speculation. This person is pretty connected so my confidence meter on this happening goes down a notch.

Stay Tuned.....

Thanks for the updates....I'm beginning to doubt all rumors....but still looking forward to watching spring training and see what JJ can do. If the move to the WAC happens...great...if it doesn't ...we move on and whip up on some SLC until someone throws us an invite.

Guest CardinalClaw

coachacola wrote:

All these rumors are getting me worn down. I just wish Dr. Simmons would go ahead and say yes or no to the WAC and get it over with.

You took the words right out of my mouth, just get it over with already!!!

All I can tell you guys is the sources I've spoken with would know whats going on with this situation. This is not to say it couldn't be a smokescreen because they don't want the news being released yet, but again they are very connected.

Guest CardAmbassador

ADMIN wrote:

coachacola wrote:

Someone on katfans.com says he has a buddy that works for the NCAA and was told that the WAC will officially announce two new teams on Monday. Nothing like another rumor!

I spoke to a source in the Lamar athletic dept and asked this question point blank and they responded with...."I have no idea." So, it could be theres nothing to LU going to the WAC or it could be a smokescreen. My personal opinion is if offered, they'd accept.

I guess stay tuned.....

My opinion is that anything goes at this point. I know it is our plan to move up, but I could see LU turning down an invite based on timing. The budget crisis isn't a good time to upgrade you athletic facilities and budget. If we reject I think it will be because of the finances.

Guest CardinalClaw

LU4LIFE wrote:

Fox 4 said that "Lamar has talked to the WAC officials and it does not look like they are going to join this year."

I wonder what they mean by "this year."

Guest Cards R Us

For everyone who's been riding this wave, get ready for more. No matter how dead in the water this topic is, it seems as though there's at least one Cardinal "Insider" who can find someone with 'secret' information from some 'source' to dredge this up again.

LAMAR TO THE WAC!!!!!