*Rumored Lamar to FBS discussion*

LU1991

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as getting into a conference, it is a good thing we are close to Houston. I just think it is bad for the area as a whole being close to Houston. I think the area would be more developed and more self sufficient if we where a little farther away.

Guest NorthoftheBorder

At some point I would not be surprised if we lose our local TV coverage to Houston. Houston is very good at conquering its neighbors. If you doubt this go look up water rights in Texas. Houston was trying to take our lakes.

The decisions that have held Beaumont back were made years ago by the powers to be. It was the difference between big time and small time thinking. Houston has always had big time thinkers and risk takers who didn't mind others profiting from their development. The power brokers in Beaumont didn;t want anyone but them to have anything. Here's a great bit of trivia to show you the difference between what big time vs small time thinking will do. Back in the 1960's Delta was wanting to expand their airlines and wanted a hub airport in the southeast. They originally went to the city leaders in Birmingham Alabama with a proposal to locate their if they would expand the airport. The leadership declined because they didn't want "all those airplanes cluttering up the sky" over town. Delta then went to their 2nd choice, Atlanta, and the rest as they say is history. Heartsfelt Airport in Atlanta is the busiest in the US, and every major corporation in the world has a presence in Atlanta, due in great part to the air traffic. At that time, Birmingham and Atlanta were roughly the same size. Atlanta exploded in population and economic growth. Birmingham did experience some growth starting in the 80's because they became somewhat of a healthcare hub. But the differences in two cities are stark and Birmingham could have been what Atlanta is. I mention this as explanation that the decisions that have held Beaumont back were made a long time ago. Big oil was founded here. Has anyone ever wondered why Houston is the Oil capital of the world and not Beaumont. It must have been like taking candy from a baby!

Guest CardAmbassador

When will we know if we are going to the SUNBELT or WAC . I think the WAC is perfect to grow with!

Growing is not a word that is used to describe the WAC right now.

When will we know if we are going to the SUNBELT or WAC . I think the WAC is perfect to grow with!

Growing is not a word that is used to describe the WAC right now.

The WAC is definitely not sending the correct signals with their actions and statements.

..."The WAC Board of Directors continues to aggressively evaluate membership options," WAC Interim Commissioner Jeff Hurd said. "We remain confident in the league's future and will continue to survey and discuss several options."...

http://www.wacsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10100&ATCLID=205438836

With a statement like the above, one would expect a little more action from the meeting concluding on June 14 than the addition of two affiliates for Swimming & Diving and one for Gymnastics and naming of some of the conference tournament locations.

At this rate, the conference will aggressively evaluate and survey itself out of existence. :(

Just got back from a trip to San Antonio, home of UTSA. Their program is a year or two old. A current student told me they are going to the WAC next year and Conf USA after that, may two years away.

Those people know how to get things done.

Guest CardAmbassador
Not really, They're in San Antonio, their invites to those conferences basically wrote themselves.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Crawfish

Just an FYI, the WAC is considering eliminating football as I expected. (for over a year) The alternative would be to build a conference from scratch made up primaily of provisional FBS members.

Guest NorthoftheBorder

Unfortunately I think you are right. LU is neither pursuing nor being pursued for a FBS conference move. I just have a bad feeling that this could have bad consequences on the rest of the programs as some day the big boys will elimate the smaller FCS conference schools from the NCAA basketball tournament (as well as baseball, track & field etc. basically all championships) by changing the tier system that is already in place. JMHO.

I just have a bad feeling that this could have bad consequences on the rest of the programs as some day the big boys will elimate the smaller FCS conference schools from the NCAA basketball tournament (as well as baseball, track & field etc. basically all championships) by changing the tier system that is already in place.

This is my primary concern with LU staying FCS.

Guest CardAmbassador

Let's not pretend there is alot Lamar can do about it at this point. You guys are suggesting that if we made a raucous that it would get us noticed by the SBC. I just think the funneling of schools into FBS is different from the WAC than it is in the SBC. The WAC had limited options being a western based conference, the SBC has a ton of options in bigger markets and with bigger enrollments etc. in the east.

There isn't anything we can do short of pumping a ton of money into our programs and I don't know if there is money for it on the athletic side like there is on the academic side.

Also I disagree about the NCAA tournament, they don't need to push the mid major's out. Each conference gets a payout based on the number of teams it has make the tournament and how far they go. This fear of the collapse of the NCAA basketball tournament is unfounded as I've seen no one but NOTB mention it. Is it going to be harder to get into? Yes. Will we be denied a possibility of going? No. FCS and FBS is only a distinction for football, I don't see that changing.

Guest Crawfish

I agree that the majors will not mess with basketball or any other sports for that matter. The main reason I say this is that many of the traditional basketball powers either do not play football or play in a lower division. (Big East)

I still believe that Lamar may have a shot at the SBC, it is about getting prepared by winning, improving facilities and increasing the athletic budget. It will not help to compare the budget to ULM because they are the low men on the totem pole. On the SBC forum they are sometimes (half seriously) referred to as the "Big Lots" of college football. In order to attract a serious look, the Cards must be at least at the mid-level in the conference budget wise. (think Middle Tennessee, WKU, TSU) I think it will depend on whether the Golden Traingle will imbrace the football program and stay in for the long haul.

BTW, does anyone know if Lamar has an Athletic foundation separate form the school's main endowment?

Guest NorthoftheBorder

Let's not pretend there is alot Lamar can do about it at this point. You guys are suggesting that if we made a raucous that it would get us noticed by the SBC. I just think the funneling of schools into FBS is different from the WAC than it is in the SBC. The WAC had limited options being a western based conference, the SBC has a ton of options in bigger markets and with bigger enrollments etc. in the east.

There isn't anything we can do short of pumping a ton of money into our programs and I don't know if there is money for it on the athletic side like there is on the academic side.

Also I disagree about the NCAA tournament, they don't need to push the mid major's out. Each conference gets a payout based on the number of teams it has make the tournament and how far they go. This fear of the collapse of the NCAA basketball tournament is unfounded as I've seen no one but NOTB mention it. Is it going to be harder to get into? Yes. Will we be denied a possibility of going? No. FCS and FBS is only a distinction for football, I don't see that changing.

Because LU is in a smaller market, they will not have a FBS confernece show up at the door. The only chance is to agressively market and pursue. There is no guarantee that they will be successful if they do, but to do nothing is a guarantee that it will not happen.

In an interview the other day on one of the local TV stations, AD Henderson was talking about the arrival of ORU to the conference. He said the SLC is a great fit for Lamar but doesn't think realignment is done yet and over the next few years "we'll see where Lamar falls." I don't think he would say that if Lamar had no desire to move up.

Since the Golden Triangle MSA isn't one of the 30 biggest, we can't just sit back and get plucked up. If we want to get plucked, there's one solution - win.

Winning solves all these problems. Boise State didn't go from Big West Conference to the Big East in football due to being in the 85th-largest MSA. They didn't makes their moves due to the blue turf (which so many schools are suddenly copying). They got plucked up by the good version of the WAC because they won.... and then the MWC did the same for them... and finally, up to the Big East.

Baseball needs to be playing in regionals at least 2 of every 3 years.

Basketball needs to be consistently in postseason play.... even if it's the CBI or CIT- we need postseason basketball.

And most importantly, WE MUST GET INTO THE FCS PLAYOFFS!!!! There are 20 teams in the playoffs this year... and likely 24 teams making the playoffs if 2013. 122 schools play FCS football this year- that means a 1-in-6 shot this year and a 1-in-5 shot next year.

Get the PUS rockin' with packed houses and wins and we can look at the FBS. But, I don't want to be FIU/FAU for 10 years- just getting my butt handed to me annually in the name of getting a bigger athletic department budget.