Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Online Q/A with LU basketball coach Clif Carroll

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Online Q/A with LU basketball coach Clif Carroll

He's agreed to do an online Q/A session with our members in an attempt to answer any of our questions concerning the LU Mens Basketball team.

The format is still being discussed with one being Coach actually logging into our site and answering your questions from right here in the Above the Rim forum, another with me sending him the questions and replying. We'll see how it turns out but either way it's time to post questions so get started. When we decide how we'll post his replies I'll let you guys know.

So for now........Fire away!!

CardAmbassador

Re: Online Q/A with LU basketball coach Clif Carroll

Any thoughts on who will be this years big time players that we don't know much about? Who will be a fan favorite?

Are we planning on sticking to practicing defense only early in the season, due to the limited amount of time we get to practice?

Talk about scheduling this year, is there any portions of the schedule that you can tell us about yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

First off thank you Mike for getting things like this set up and thanks to Coach Carroll for agreeing to do this. I hope he decides to come on here but either way thanks.

How many freshmen are going to see significant playing time this year?
    Are any of the players coming in going to be redshirted?
    When are all of the players going to be on campus?
    How is the team chemistry with all of the new players?
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust 'em.

Jim Valvano

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

How is Hondo's broken foot from last year? Is he at 100 percent? If not is he expected to be before the season starts?
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust 'em.

Jim Valvano

Sophomore Poster ScreamingDeane's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

my questions are about the bigs:

i thought that osas came a long way towards the end of last season specifically in the slc tournament. would there be thought to playing him and stan brown at the same time if you guys decide to go big?

what kind of progress has norman made this offseason and do you expect him to be more a factor in the upcoming season?

is muepo a 4 or a 5?

thanks for doing this for the basketball fans.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Do you think Doty will see much action this year?

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Goodness Gracious!!

I thought I would get a jump on everybody and post a welcome message, but I was beat by a mile! Lamar has the best fan-base for any college basketball team in Texas and I am excited to get to interact with you in this environment. I have to let you all know upfront that there are certain topics that I will not and/or can not comment about. Do not get you feelings hurt if I do not answer your question or have something removed from the forum. I will be as forthcoming as I can and hope that I can give you all a little insight into LU Hoops. Let's have some fun!

CardAmbassador

Re: Goodness Gracious!!

[quote author=clifcarroll link=topic=37042.msg39255#msg39255 date=1340734098]
    I thought I would get a jump on everybody and post a welcome message, but I was beat by a mile! Lamar has the best fan-base for any college basketball team in Texas
    [/quote]

It really is true, for such a small school we have a real passion for Hoops.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Goodness Gracious!!

[quote author=clifcarroll link=topic=37042.msg39255#msg39255 date=1340734098]
    I thought I would get a jump on everybody and post a welcome message, but I was beat by a mile! Lamar has the best fan-base for any college basketball team in Texas and I am excited to get to interact with you in this environment. I have to let you all know upfront that there are certain topics that I will not and/or can not comment about. Do not get you feelings hurt if I do not answer your question or have something removed from the forum. I will be as forthcoming as I can and hope that I can give you all a little insight into LU Hoops. Let's have some fun!
    [/quote]

Thanks for getting on BRI with us!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=CardAmbassador link=topic=37042.msg39249#msg39249 date=1340732404]
    Any thoughts on who will be this years big time players that we don't know much about? Who will be a fan favorite?

Are we planning on sticking to practicing defense only early in the season, due to the limited amount of time we get to practice?

Talk about scheduling this year, is there any portions of the schedule that you can tell us about yet?
    [/quote]

As for who will be our big time players that you do not know about? We think very highly of Rhon Mitchell. He was able to practice with us for a short period of time last year before the NCAA stripped his eligibility. We felt he would have been a major part of our team last season. I think he will be a special player for the next 4 years here at LU. The other player that I look to playing a major role it Amos Wilson. He played for one of the best coaches in JUCO for 3 years and was one of the top players in Texas last season. His experience will be invaluable to our young team and his experience in a similar system to ours will allow him to play huge minutes right off the bat.

It is hard to figure out who the fan favorite will be. I got the feeling that last season everybody loved Lamb because of the relentless nature in which he played. I think if you follow that mode, the fans will love Hondo Webb. Hondo has the same kind of toughness that Lamb showed, however they do it in different ways. Hondo also is a very personable kid who loves doing community outreach and will be a high academic kid. Jim Sigona, his JUCO coach just called to tell me that he was selected as a NJCAA Academic All-American. The kid has an incredible story about where he was born and on top of all that, the kid is named after Hondo Crouch, who is the man that started Luckenbach, TX. How can you not love a kid with that kind of story attached to him.

Pat will always stress defense early no matter what type of team we have. If you do not defend, you will not win championships.

Scheduling has been a challenge this year. We made some changes in last years schedule that we felt would help that team be ready to compete for a SLC Championship, knowing that it would make scheduling this year a challenge. We do have dates set with Baylor, Purdue, and Alabama this season, which we are really excited about.

CardAmbassador

Wow, thanks for that detailed response.

I just thought of another question that maybe you could answer after you get to everyone else's questions.

Alot of fan discussion has centered around what we should expect from such a young team. What are the player's and coaches expectations for this year?

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=Big T link=topic=37042.msg39250#msg39250 date=1340732443]
    First off thank you Mike for getting things like this set up and thanks to Coach Carroll for agreeing to do this. I hope he decides to come on here but either way thanks.

How many freshmen are going to see significant playing time this year?
    Are any of the players coming in going to be redshirted?
    When are all of the players going to be on campus?
    How is the team chemistry with all of the new players?
    [/quote]

I am excited to do this. I do want to also thank Mike for thinking of this idea.

There will be quite a few freshmen that will need to play a role for us this season. A team can not sustain the loss of production that we lost last year, and not have any type of production from new comers and still be a good team. Freshmen are funny creatures, sometimes they show flashes of what they can do and then it will go away for a few days or weeks. The key is to keep the confidence of these guys high, while bringing them along in the system. I am excited about the group of kids in the freshmen class. I think they have a chance to be a special group.

There is a very good possibility of red shirting players. We are going to have to get the kids on campus and figure out who would benefit most from an extra year, but I could see one or two guys who could use a year to grow and work on things.

Most of our players will be here July 10. We have one newcomer who is finishing up some things academically and Sebastian will be playing for the Swedish National team this summer. Other than that, all will be here.

Chemistry is a funny thing. It's not whether you have it or you don't. There are degrees of team chemistry and sometimes it comes and goes. Pat is really good at getting teams to work together. I also think that the returning players are bringing a really good mindset to the group right now and will set a good tone in the locker room for the new guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=Big T link=topic=37042.msg39251#msg39251 date=1340732925]
    How is Hondo's broken foot from last year? Is he at 100 percent? If not is he expected to be before the season starts?
    [/quote]

I talked to Hondo this morning. He tells me that his foot is 100% and that he is working out on it everyday. We are going to keep a very close eye on him and make sure that the foot is staying healthy.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Will Lamar have a hard time getting enough home games each year by not scheduling non-D1 schools? If true, what would make it easier?

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=ScreamingDeane link=topic=37042.msg39252#msg39252 date=1340733491]
    my questions are about the bigs:

i thought that osas came a long way towards the end of last season specifically in the slc tournament. would there be thought to playing him and stan brown at the same time if you guys decide to go big?

what kind of progress has norman made this offseason and do you expect him to be more a factor in the upcoming season?

is muepo a 4 or a 5?

thanks for doing this for the basketball fans.
    [/quote]

Last season, we weren't able to play two of our bigs together for any amount of time. The team never figured out how to get into any offensive flow with two bigs in at the same time. I think that the problem was caused as much by the guards as it was the big fellas. Personally, I like playing with a smaller, more versatile line-up. Generally, we are going to value skill and toughness over pure size. All of our returning bigs have put in a lot of work this off season and are getting better and that could translate into getting two of them in together to get more minutes for those guys.

Sebastian came in last year in a tough situation. We didn't get him here until late August and he was a young kid on a team of mostly upperclassmen. He has worked his tail end off over with Josh Miller in the weight room getting stronger and quicker. When his body gets to the point where things aren't moving so fast around him, I think he will contribute more. He is really skilled for his size, things just moved a little fast for him this year. I think playing with his national team will do him wonders this summer.

We don't play the numbers game, meaning we don't have 1,2,3,4 and 5. We have guards, forwards and bigs/posts. Muepo is a forward/big. He is a versatile players with a lot of tools. He is still a little raw, but will be a terror in the SLC for years to come.