Page 2 of 80 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: *Rumored Lamar to FBS discussion*

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

*Rumored Lamar to FBS discussion*

All these rumors are getting me worn down. I just wish Dr. Simmons would go ahead and say yes or no to the WAC and get it over with.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” ~George Carlin

CardinalClaw

coachacola wrote:
    All these rumors are getting me worn down. I just wish Dr. Simmons would go ahead and say yes or no to the WAC and get it over with.
    You took the words right out of my mouth, just get it over with already!!!

LU4LIFE

I agree this topic as been beat to death, and it's getting old seeing the same old thing being said about day after day.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

All I can tell you guys is the sources I've spoken with would know whats going on with this situation. This is not to say it couldn't be a smokescreen because they don't want the news being released yet, but again they are very connected.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I appreciate your input on this.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” ~George Carlin

CardAmbassador

ADMIN wrote:
    coachacola wrote:
    Someone on katfans.com says he has a buddy that works for the NCAA and was told that the WAC will officially announce two new teams on Monday. Nothing like another rumor!

I spoke to a source in the Lamar athletic dept and asked this question point blank and they responded with...."I have no idea." So, it could be theres nothing to LU going to the WAC or it could be a smokescreen. My personal opinion is if offered, they'd accept.

I guess stay tuned.....
    My opinion is that anything goes at this point. I know it is our plan to move up, but I could see LU turning down an invite based on timing. The budget crisis isn't a good time to upgrade you athletic facilities and budget. If we reject I think it will be because of the finances.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I still say it would be a big mistake if Lamar turns down an invite to the WAC. They don't have to upgrade the stadium immediately and upgrades to the baseball field are already planned. A move to the WAC would probably help the $100 million capital campaign.

LU4LIFE

Fox 4 said that "Lamar has talked to the WAC officials and it does not look like they are going to join this year."

CardinalClaw

LU4LIFE wrote:
    Fox 4 said that "Lamar has talked to the WAC officials and it does not look like they are going to join this year."
    I wonder what they mean by "this year."

Cards R Us

For everyone who's been riding this wave, get ready for more. No matter how dead in the water this topic is, it seems as though there's at least one Cardinal "Insider" who can find someone with 'secret' information from some 'source' to dredge this up again.

LAMAR TO THE WAC!!!!!

CardAmbassador

Cards R Us wrote:
    For everyone who's been riding this wave, get ready for more. No matter how dead in the water this topic is, it seems as though there's at least one Cardinal "Insider" who can find someone with 'secret' information from some 'source' to dredge this up again.

LAMAR TO THE WAC!!!!!
    What does this mean? Is there someone that is well connected telling you Lamar will join the WAC? please let us know more. I don't want to know who your source is, just if they're in a position to know about the Lamar WAC status.

But then again it's probably just sarcasm.

bigred360

CardAmbassador, the guy is being sarcastic in his remarks. I don't have any "inside information". However, I can tell you within 5 years Lamar will not be in the SLC.

Cards R Us

I think the intent of this thread has taken a left hand turn.

SHOULD Lamar go to the WAC? OF COURSE THEY SHOULD...if the offer was seriously on the table and the school had the ability to make the leap and had all of the necessary NCAA regulations met to jump to FBS.

CAN Lamar go to the WAC? UNLIKELY...right now the offer to join the WAC (if there is one) is shaky at best. The school is not ready for the jump. The facilities, coaches, budgets, scholarships, etc. are no where near where they need to be to be competitive in the WAC (even the depleted WAC without Boise and Hawaii).

CardAmbassador

Cards R Us wrote:
    I think the intent of this thread has taken a left hand turn.

SHOULD Lamar go to the WAC? OF COURSE THEY SHOULD...if the offer was seriously on the table and the school had the ability to make the leap and had all of the necessary NCAA regulations met to jump to FBS.

CAN Lamar go to the WAC? UNLIKELY...right now the offer to join the WAC (if there is one) is shaky at best. The school is not ready for the jump. The facilities, coaches, budgets, scholarships, etc. are no where near where they need to be to be competitive in the WAC (even the depleted WAC without Boise and Hawaii).
    I feel pretty confident through what I have heard in person that Lamar has been offered an invite. I'm not worried about the invite, it's there.

Lamar turning down the invite due to the reasons you listed, that is what I believe has either already happened, or will happen.

Maybe LU told Benson they would join if offered next year. Doubtful there will be a spot next year, but I think that is what may happen.

bigred360

I appreciate all the updates on this topic from the ADMIN, coachacola, CardinalClaw, CardAmbassador, Cards R Us and anyone I may have left behind.

I'm not a lawyer so I don't know it this is a possibility but I'll throw it out anyway.

Can the administration go to the students for another vote on additional fees? Something like a campus improvement campaign that would include athletic facilities and giving the sororities and fraternities land and build them housing on campus. I don't know how many we are talking about but it is probaby 10 or more. Give each group $100,000 to build on campus and any additional expense would come from them.

I would go to the students with a $10 per credit hr fee for this improvement project and the the people who care the most and the least about this will vote. Those that care most will win the vote.

Most of us on here are alumni so the fee increase will only effect the students and their parents.

If they what to experience a top level college experience they will vote to pay the additional fees. If not, and there aren't alumni with deep pocket out there ready to write a check for a few million I'm not sure we can fund everything needed to be competitive in a FBS conference.

If this were legal we can be talking about an additional $1.3 million in fees each semester using credit hrs from 2008 and as we all know there has been an increase in the student population since then.

I would also have it mandatory for all freshman to live on campus. I think this could change the culture of Lamar University and if Dr. Simmons could get private investors to bring business to a 15 to 17 thousand student campus. Then add a few phases of Cardinal Village, Lamar would be a much different campus and not look at as a commuter school.

Also, if we could get into a mid-major FBS conference then this will bring in additional monies to the university.

Just a few random thoughts.