Page 3 of 80 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: *Rumored Lamar to FBS discussion*

LU Lurker

*Rumored Lamar to FBS discussion*

This is totally off the subject but 360, I wish Lamar wouldve built the Montagne Center where McDonald Gym sits. I think this woulve changed the student participation at games.

I also think Provost Umphrey would be much better if located around Vincent-Beck and golf range. The refinery background really stinks.......no pun intended.

bigred360

Agree with all the above but I guess the administration back in the 1960's and 1980's didn't plan the location of the athletic facilities very well.

We are kind of stuck with where things are now due to just spending about $30 million on the renovation of Provost-Umphrey and the athletic complex.

If there were a need for a new construction instead of a renovation we're probably talking about an additional $10 million.

So, if Lamar were to ever gets to the point of wanting a few football stadium and athletic complex and be competitive in a FBS conference you could look to UNT and how much they are spending on their new complex. It is a lot!

I definitely agree about student participation if the Montagne Center was where McDonald Gym is.

The volleyball team gets great support at their home games!

CardinalClaw

360 I think finding a way to giving the sororities and fraternities money to build on campus is a great idea an something I wish Dr. Simmons would look into doing. It would defiantly improve the collage experience on campus.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I heard on Tidwell's radio show that he's got some ideas about building a wall behind the stadium. It's something they are definitely looking into since they can't move the stadium or arena. Lamar is built on an old tank farm so it started out in a bad part of town and that's where it'll stay.

I also looked at the latest board or regents meeting notes from November and Lamar is raising tuition and other fees this coming fall. And since the football fee just kicked in last year I doubt the students would be in a mood for another fee increase.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” ~George Carlin

bigred360

Thanks for both of your responses. They have to find a way to get students involved in the athletic programs and IMO the sororities and fraternities are the students that have the biggest influence on campus. Coachacola, I didn't realize tuition is going up at Lamar. You are problem right about another fee right now.

Things haven't been the same since they were kicked off campus (housing) and those houses were an eye sore anyway.

I just got back from our first spring (winter) practice and got a walk thru the athletic complex. Wow, there can't be a better facility in the SLC.

The team was just in helmets, T-shirts and shorts so it was hard to really tell how good are bad they were doing.

Offensively everything was ran either out of the shotgun (sprend) or the pistol. I love it. I brought up the pistol on the region board and a couple of guys were laughing. Asking who was going to be the new OC to run that offense. I guess we'll see who has the last laugh here.

They were running a lot of option plays from both the shotgun and the pistol.

Some of us have been talking about Billy Chavis moving to defense. Well, he is still at TE for the moment.

The QB competition is going to be great as they all can throw well but Johnson can really fly.

On defense Blake Chavis really caught my attention as it is hard to really shine in a T-shirt and shorts on defense but he is definitely bigger than he was last year.

For some reason Coleman didn't work out today but it didn't appear to be anything serious as he was walking around fine.

Finally, the competition at PK is going to be pretty good. I think Stout has the stronger leg but the transfer from Navarro will push him as they both hit from forty yards.

CardAmbassador

coachacola wrote:
    I heard on Tidwell's radio show that he's got some ideas about building a wall behind the stadium. It's something they are definitely looking into since they can't move the stadium or arena. Lamar is built on an old tank farm so it started out in a bad part of town and that's where it'll stay.

I also looked at the latest board or regents meeting notes from November and Lamar is raising tuition and other fees this coming fall. And since the football fee just kicked in last year I doubt the students would be in a mood for another fee increase.
    It's unfortunate that the state is forcing us into this position. Perry had almost $10 billion sitting in a rainy day fund and he wants to cut $5 billion from primary education and reduce higher ed spending to. I think all the Texas schools are raising tuition.

About the frat/sorority idea:

For the reasons stated above alone I don't think something like that would fly. The money could come from general purpose funds but I doubt non frat/sorority students would be thrilled about having to pay for someones house.

The administration needs to pick out a plot of land near the University and designate it as a Greek row area. Then frat/sorority alums could pitch in money to start buying up the land and constructing on it. There are a few frat houses right now, and zero sorority houses.

CardAmbassador

One of my friends who is in a sorority told me that they couldn't buy a house until all of the sororities were at full membership, it had something to do with an unfair recruiting advantage.

CardAmbassador

bigred360 wrote:
    Thanks for both of your responses. They have to find a way to get students involved in the athletic programs and IMO the sororities and fraternities are the students that have the biggest influence on campus. Coachacola, I didn't realize tuition is going up at Lamar. You are problem right about another fee right now.

Things haven't been the same since they were kicked off campus (housing) and those houses were an eye sore anyway.

I just got back from our first spring (winter) practice and got a walk thru the athletic complex. Wow, there can't be a better facility in the SLC.

The team was just in helmets, T-shirts and shorts so it was hard to really tell how good are bad they were doing.

Offensively everything was ran either out of the shotgun (sprend) or the pistol. I love it. I brought up the pistol on the region board and a couple of guys were laughing. Asking who was going to be the new OC to run that offense. I guess we'll see who has the last laugh here.

They were running a lot of option plays from both the shotgun and the pistol.

Some of us have been talking about Billy Chavis moving to defense. Well, he is still at TE for the moment.

The QB competition is going to be great as they all can throw well but Johnson can really fly.

On defense Blake Chavis really caught my attention as it is hard to really shine in a T-shirt and shorts on defense but he is definitely bigger than he was last year.

For some reason Coleman didn't work out today but it didn't appear to be anything serious as he was walking around fine.

Finally, the competition at PK is going to be pretty good. I think Stout has the stronger leg but the transfer from Navarro will push him as they both hit from forty yards.
    Thanks for the update, did you find out when full pads practices will be held?

Chavis needs to go back to defense, the few times he was thrown to last year he didn't do too much. We have 3 other players at the TE position that can step up to fill that position.

bigred360

CardAmbassador, to be honest I was too much in awe of the athletic complex that I forgot to ask Coach McGallion when they were going to put on the pads.

But, this will answer your question and a few more.

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/

CardAmbassador

bigred360 wrote:
    CardAmbassador, to be honest I was too much in awe of the athletic complex that I forgot to ask Coach McGallion when they were going to put on the pads.

But, this will answer your question and a few more.

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/
    That helped quite a bit, I know Prewitt stepped up for us in a big way at the end of the season but I still see the depth chart going like this:

1. JJ
    2. K Smith
    3. Prewitt (if Prewitt was 6-5 instead of 5-11 I would swap him with Smith but it's really hard to be effective at QB in college at 5-11)

When the big boy from Nederland gets here he will likely fall into place at no. 4 and hopefully decide to switch positions. Forney could play TE or linebacker if he gets a bit quicker.

LU4LIFE

I honestly think that LAMAR would like to go head and join the SLC this upcoming season so that the seniors on the team would have one season to compete for something, and then make a announcement after the season about switching conferences. I don't think that to many of the senior player would like that they came to LAMAR and used their last years of eligibility to compete for nothing.(IMO)

bigred360

I know a lot of people will think I'm crazy but Forney is 6-5, 250. Look at his HS numbers and he just ain't a college QB. Coach Woodard has to tell the kid he "could" have a shot at the next level as a DT or NT, red-shirt him and put 50 pounds on that 6-5 frame and he could be something special at that position.

He played some TE in High School but I don't recall him putting up big numbers and we just recruited two TE's.

There is a Top 25 FBS school that recruits TE's in high school and converts them to O-lineman. I can't remember the school right now but a lot of times kids change positions in college. However, I have to admit I have never heard of a QB being moved to the D-line.

Just my opinion. Either way I hope he is a hard worker!

CardinalClaw

LU4LIFE wrote:
    I honestly think that LAMAR would like to go head and join the SLC this upcoming season so that the seniors on the team would have one season to compete for something, and then make a announcement after the season about switching conferences. I don't think that to many of the senior player would like that they came to LAMAR and used their last years of eligibility to compete for nothing.(IMO)
    That is a interesting point of view, you could say the same thing about the juniors too.

CardAmbassador

bigred360 wrote:
    I know a lot of people will think I'm crazy but Forney is 6-5, 250. Look at his HS numbers and he just ain't a college QB. Coach Woodard has to tell the kid he "could" have a shot at the next level as a DT or NT, red-shirt him and put 50 pounds on that 6-5 frame and he could be something special at that position.

He played some TE in High School but I don't recall him putting up big numbers and we just recruited two TE's.

There is a Top 25 FBS school that recruits TE's in high school and converts them to O-lineman. I can't remember the school right now but a lot of times kids change positions in college. However, I have to admit I have never heard of a QB being moved to the D-line.

Just my opinion. Either way I hope he is a hard worker!
    I didn't say D-line I said linebacker. I don't know how fast he is but I think if he sheds 10 or 15 pounds he could be a beast at Middle line backer.

LU4LIFE

According to a Admin on a Texas State message board a WAC official told a source last week that the conference is looking to add Lamar, Seattle and Utah Valley St. in another wave of expansion.

http://bobcatreport.com/forum/viewto...b6421ea4b83e58