Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WR Kevin Johnson signs with Lamar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: WR Kevin Johnson signs with Lamar

[quote author=kingkat99 link=topic=36899.msg38048#msg38048 date=1338036954]
    [quote author=Mike link=topic=36899.msg38037#msg38037 date=1338001081]
    Johnson visited other schools which one which was Sam Houston State but he chose Lamar. This was a good pickup in an obvious position of need for the Cardinals.
    [/quote]

This is a great pick up for you guys. I know our staff was very disappointed when they were told he was not academically eligible to come to Sam and it would have been an uphill climb very few guys could make over the summer to become eligible. He should make an immediate impact for you guys especially if your new o-line coach can whip them into shape to give the QB time to malke the throws. I look for Lamar to be competing at the top of the conference in 2013 if all these changes pans out.
    [/quote]

The academic standards aren't the same at LU and Sam? Please elaborate.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I was wondering the same thing. US New & World Reports showed both of us as selective in our admission requirements.

Based on their website, we accepted 47% of the applicants in 2010. Sam accepted 67% of its applicants in 2010. My understanding was that we were both moving toward being more selective.

I checked admission requirements for both of the universities and they appeared to be similar.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

It would appear he chose Lamar over Sam because he liked it better.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Considering he's a receiver, I'm sure he would rather be the #1 option in an offense rather than play in the option offense at Sam. Just speculation though, Sam obviously has the superior program right now.

CardAmbassador

KK99 only makes comments here when he can appear to be rational while taking a shot at us. I'm pretty sure Lamar has the exact same admission requirements as SHSU. Furthermore transfer students have different (and easier) requirements than incoming freshman.

Again, glad we got this guy, he should do well here, I think he will be the #1 guy by the end of camp.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=CardAmbassador link=topic=36899.msg38056#msg38056 date=1338069855]
    KK99 only makes comments here when he can appear to be rational while taking a shot at us. I'm pretty sure Lamar has the exact same admission requirements as SHSU. Furthermore transfer students have different (and easier) requirements than incoming freshman.

Again, glad we got this guy, he should do well here, I think he will be the #1 guy by the end of camp.
    [/quote]

Yeah, I thought he was full of shit.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Let me elaborate, he is short some hours and our staff is not confident he can make them up. No jabs this time just stating what I was told by one of our coaches. I see even after not posting for 6 months some things never change here.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=West link=topic=36899.msg38054#msg38054 date=1338064288]
    Considering he's a receiver, I'm sure he would rather be the #1 option in an offense rather than play in the option offense at Sam. Just speculation though, Sam obviously has the superior program right now.
    [/quote]

LU facilities are the best in the Southland. That and the opportunity to be a difference maker can be very attractive. FWIW the same coach told me that Garret will end up at SFA.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=kingkat99 link=topic=36899.msg38058#msg38058 date=1338073296]
    Let me elaborate, he is short some hours and our staff is not confident he can make them up. No jabs this time just stating what I was told by one of our coaches. I see even after not posting for 6 months some things never change here.
    [/quote]

Sounds reasonable. Thanks for the additional info.

CardAmbassador

[/quote]
    :o :o
    Yeah, because we're so mean and unreasonable and your the most rational kind person ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=LUSportsFan link=topic=36899.msg38060#msg38060 date=1338075499]
    [/quote]

Sounds reasonable. Thanks for the additional info.
    [/quote]
    I agree. Any idea what his major is? I don't think schools have the exact same requirements, and it's possible he may be pursuing a different major at Lamar so he can qualify more easily.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=CardAmbassador link=topic=36899.msg38061#msg38061 date=1338076992]
    [/quote]
    :o :o
    Yeah, because we're so mean and unreasonable and your the most rational kind person ever.
    [/quote]

I was thinking more like so sensitive than so mean, but whatever.

NorthoftheBorder

[quote author=kingkat99 link=topic=36899.msg38048#msg38048 date=1338036954]
    [quote author=Mike link=topic=36899.msg38037#msg38037 date=1338001081]
    Johnson visited other schools which one which was Sam Houston State but he chose Lamar. This was a good pickup in an obvious position of need for the Cardinals.
    [/quote]

This is a great pick up for you guys. I know our staff was very disappointed when they were told he was not academically eligible to come to Sam and it would have been an uphill climb very few guys could make over the summer to become eligible. He should make an immediate impact for you guys especially if your new o-line coach can whip them into shape to give the QB time to malke the throws. I look for Lamar to be competing at the top of the conference in 2013 if all these changes pans out.
    [/quote]

How is he ineligible to play at Sam but eligible to play at LU?

bigred360

This is a great signing by Lamar as we were so thin at the WR position and this dude sounds legit!

NorthoftheBorder

[quote author=kingkat99 link=topic=36899.msg38059#msg38059 date=1338075333]
    [quote author=West link=topic=36899.msg38054#msg38054 date=1338064288]
    [/quote]

LU facilities are the best in the Southland. That and the opportunity to be a difference maker can be very attractive. FWIW the same coach told me that Garret will end up at SFA.
    [/quote]

The former Ozen HS coach on the SFA staff has done a good job of picking off some talent from the Golden Triangle. I hope your source is wrong and he makes it to LU, but since there is no buzz on here about Garrett I assume he is not considering LU.