Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Herschel Sims kicked off OSU team

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Herschel Sims kicked off OSU team

He made a choice not a mistake. He allegedly "CHOSE" to steal. When you do something you choose to do it. You don't mistakenly steal money from a team mate. No one is trying to justify his actions. I was firmly in the camp of we don't need his problems here, but now that he's here I will support him and hope for the best.

If you don't call it a choice, then what do you call it? A crime? Well one of the deffinitions of a crime is a CHOICE by an individual to go against the law of the land and government ending in punishment as decreed by the judicial system.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust 'em.

Jim Valvano

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=QB 22 link=topic=36941.msg39936#msg39936 date=1342200343]
    Go puddin go. If he didnt do it he would still be at osu. He was 3 team last yr and picked to be the same this yr.
    [/quote]

He was a top 10 player in the entire state, top 75 in the nation and #2 RB out of HS. He has two former teammates on the team that have said they'd have ZERO issue with him coming to Beaumont, he's on likely his last real chance so he'll hopefully be on his best behavior and if not he wont be here long.

LU hasn't had any big off the field issues with any of their transfers so Woodard and staff obviously do a good job with keeping them in line. I know for a fact other big names out of high school, some that were from the area have had interest in transferring to Lamar yet the staff didnt take them, even at positions of need. They aren't taking just anyone cause they had stars by their names out of high school and they lived in the area.

Sims IMO is a low risk with a very high reward ceiling on a kid with 3-years eligibility left and otherwise would've never considered Lamar University. I don't condone what he did at all and watchful eyes will be on him. He'll have to work hard to earn his teammates respect but if your Ray Woodard and Lamar University you take this kid every time IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Okie Light knew he would start for them in a year or two. He wasn't exactly sitting the bench behind some scrubs.
    I'm not sure he exactly stole the money. I was told (not sure how accurate) that he borrowed the money and couldn't afford to pay his teammate back yet so the teammate pressed charges. I'm sure there is more to the story, but who knows.

Bottom line is that he made a bad choice. So how hard does he have to pay for it? Does he never get a chance to play football again for it? Or do you give him another chance?

Woodard is electing to give him a chance it appears.
    It is what it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Another thing....he averaged 7.3 YPC and had two 100 yard game as a freshman with limited carries. I don't think he was going to be riding the pine at Oklahoma State for the next 3 seasons.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I think it’s pretty naïve to think someone just got kicked off a team over an accusation of stealing money or even over not paying money back to a teammate he supposedly borrowed from. Most schools would just suspend a kid that is under investigation for stealing and let the justice system run its course before kicking a kid off the team. I’d be willing to bet there is either much more to the story that the general public will never know about or there were other problems as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

With Sims, Lamar has enough talent to be an FCS playoff team. Let's hope that Sims can get his off-the-field issues resolved so he can be an on-the-field weapon.