Online Q/A with LU basketball coach Clif Carroll

Mike

Guest CardinalClaw
Coach Carroll tweeted that his wife is in the hospital and it looks like their first child is coming a little early. Congrats to both of them.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's 4:00 am and I'm laying on a glorified cot in a hospital room. My wife surprised me with a call this afternoon and told me that we were having our baby 3 weeks early. She did great, Waylon is doing good, and I couldn't be prouder of them both. Thank you all for the well wishes posted on the site. We'll have at least one more Cardinal fan in the Montagne this year!

LeBron took his talents to South Beach..........when is Clif Carroll gonna bring his talents to the golf course??? :D

I don't have many talents to bring on the course. I think me and Barkley could make a great twosome. With the recent development, I don't know if my wife will let me out of the house until we hit the road recruiting in July. I would love to come out and play though.

What role do you see for each newcomer in the event they get extensive playing time? (Feel free to combine a few if they are like in attributes)

Wilson

Blanks

Webb

Muepo

Hancock

Smith

Minton

Mitchell

I hope that Wilson can come in a be a leader along with the returning guys. He has good experience in a structured system and has the ability to be one of the better players in the SLC.

Blanks is lightning fast and plays with a lot of creativity. He can really get up and down the floor and defend the ball 94 ft. He will find minutes because he will defend and he could see significant minutes when he gets control of the offense.

Webb is a very versatile guard. He can play point or off. He is the best passer I have ever recruited. Because of his size and strength (kid weighs over 200 and can bench over 300) we will be able to,let him guard almost anybody on the court which allows us to play some crazy lineups. He will give us a steady hand at the guard spot early on in the season and allow the young guys to develop. On top of all of that, he is a basketball junkie and his enthusiasm for the game is contagious.

Muepo is a freak physically and athletically. He is a big 6-7, and can move. He is a little raw offensively and hasn't played in a system like ours. He is the type of player that could dominate the SLC for a few years once he figures out what he is doing out there.

Hancock is a flat out knock down shooter. He is a basketball junkie and a gym rat. It will be interesting to see how he transitions to an American style of basketball.

Smith is a dynamic guard who has a tremendous upside. I could see a scenario where he could be a significant player if he catches onto the system. He has every tool to be an all SLC guy by the time he leaves LU.

Minton is the kind of kid that doesn't get a lot of respect because he doesn't pass the eye test. He is too small to be a D1 guard. He doesn't look like he shoots it all that great. There isn't a lot of flash to him. But, he has that something different about him that makes him a winner. He is tough as nails and has ice water running through his veins. He is the kind of kid that I will take on my team any day. I have a feeling that he will use pure guts to get on the floor.

Mitchell is a super talented, tough, and competes his ass off. He doesn't say much or show much emotion,but he comes to win. No doubt he will be a big part of what we are doing next year.

Half the battle for new guys is to learn how to compete everyday. The kids that figure that out will get to play. Some of them will take longer. You have to remember that most of these guys have not been in strength and conditioning programs and study hall programs like we have. The kids that can get everything straight off the court have the best chance to get on the court.

Any truth to opening season with 1o consecutive road games? Wow! Are we joing the SWAC or MEAC?? Who will we be playing at home non-conference?? Thanks

We aren't joining the SWAC or MEAC, but we will not have many non conference home games. It was a combination of things. Taking the non-d1 schools off the schedule, adding the Charlotte home game last season, playing in the Pre-Season NIT, playing guarantee games, and the SLC adding 2 conference games have made our schedule challenging. I have been pounding the phones trying to get some things worked out, but it looks like we will not be in the Montagne much until December. We had a change in philosophy in all facets of our program, including scheduling and we are working hard to get our schedule to the point where we are bringing in quality teams to play at the Montagne.

What role do you see for each newcomer in the event they get extensive playing time? (Feel free to combine a few if they are like in attributes)

Wilson

Blanks

Webb

Muepo

Hancock

Smith

Minton

Mitchell

I hope that Wilson can come in a be a leader along with the returning guys. He has good experience in a structured system and has the ability to be one of the better players in the SLC.

Blanks is lightning fast and plays with a lot of creativity. He can really get up and down the floor and defend the ball 94 ft. He will find minutes because he will defend and he could see significant minutes when he gets control of the offense.

Webb is a very versatile guard. He can play point or off. He is the best passer I have ever recruited. Because of his size and strength (kid weighs over 200 and can bench over 300) we will be able to,let him guard almost anybody on the court which allows us to play some crazy lineups. He will give us a steady hand at the guard spot early on in the season and allow the young guys to develop. On top of all of that, he is a basketball junkie and his enthusiasm for the game is contagious.

Muepo is a freak physically and athletically. He is a big 6-7, and can move. He is a little raw offensively and hasn't played in a system like ours. He is the type of player that could dominate the SLC for a few years once he figures out what he is doing out there.

Hancock is a flat out knock down shooter. He is a basketball junkie and a gym rat. It will be interesting to see how he transitions to an American style of basketball.

Smith is a dynamic guard who has a tremendous upside. I could see a scenario where he could be a significant player if he catches onto the system. He has every tool to be an all SLC guy by the time he leaves LU.

Minton is the kind of kid that doesn't get a lot of respect because he doesn't pass the eye test. He is too small to be a D1 guard. He doesn't look like he shoots it all that great. There isn't a lot of flash to him. But, he has that something different about him that makes him a winner. He is tough as nails and has ice water running through his veins. He is the kind of kid that I will take on my team any day. I have a feeling that he will use pure guts to get on the floor.

Mitchell is a super talented, tough, and competes his ass off. He doesn't say much or show much emotion,but he comes to win. No doubt he will be a big part of what we are doing next year.

Half the battle for new guys is to learn how to compete everyday. The kids that figure that out will get to play. Some of them will take longer. You have to remember that most of these guys have not been in strength and conditioning programs and study hall programs like we have. The kids that can get everything straight off the court have the best chance to get on the court.

Thanks for the long and detailed post!

EDIT: By the way, congratulations on the baby boy!

Coach Carroll, congrats on the new baby and thanks for answering our questions on such a busy day for you!

It didn't become a busy day until about 4:00 yesterday afternoon. We thought we had another 3 weeks till Waylon came, but we were pleasantly surprised yesterday afternoon.

Coach, I had the pleasure of spending some time with you this past year. I love the story of how you got your job at Tech. I don't know if that is something you would want to share, but I think some people would love to hear it? I look forward to taking you to Rudy's the next time you come to Plano.

Guest bigred360
Coach Carroll you basically already answered any question I might have had because I know you can't go into recruiting. Congratulations on the birth of your first son and thank you for taking time to answer our questions and joining BRI. Cardinal's for Life!!!!

I've had season tickets since '85. Looking forward to new players and new season, I have always enjoyed the summer pick up games to learn the new players. Coach would you keep us informed when the pick up games start.....Thanks

We are bringing all but 3 of the guys back on July 10. We are allowed to have team instruction this summer, so we will have open practices a few days a week. I'm sure that the guys will get together and play most every day though. Email me at Clifton.carroll@lamar.edu and I'll give you the days and times when we figure them out. just to let you guys know, all of our practices are open. Any of you are more than welcome to come and hang out at any time.

Coach, I had the pleasure of spending some time with you this past year. I love the story of how you got your job at Tech. I don't know if that is something you would want to share, but I think some people would love to hear it? I look forward to taking you to Rudy's the next time you come to Plano.

What's up Allen. Allen found me standing in line at Rudy's in Allen. We had a great talk that night. The story about how I got my job at Tech is best told in person. Haha. We have a few guys on our recruiting list from your area. I'm sure I'll be back in Plano soon

Coach Carroll you basically already answered any question I might have had because I know you can't go into recruiting. Congratulations on the birth of your first son and thank you for taking time to answer our questions and joining BRI. Cardinal's for Life!!!!

I can speak generally about recruiting. All specific names have to be left out. Thank you for the well wishes. We got to take Waylon home yesterday and he actually slept a lot last night. He is a blessing and we are going to enjoy him.

First off, thanks again Coach for joining and giving such detailed and quick responses to the questions asked.

Second, congrats again on the baby boy. Good looking kid, I know you're proud. We cant wait for ours in late August.

Third, I have a couple questions. Is the coaching staff coming together with the departure of Coach Price and the promotion of Kermit Holmes? And with the departure of so the seniors of last years team who do you hope and who do you guys expect to step up and take a leadership roles on this team next season?

Thanks again!

Guest bigred360

Okay Coach, generally speaking is there anyone in the area worthy of recruitment of Lamar? No names or schools needs. I was just wondering if we might add a local at somepoint..Again, like Mike said that for everything and again congratulatons on the birth of Waylon.

Mike, let us know when your baby is born. I'd like to send a gift!!!

Coach, I know in the Knight system you don't designate players as 1,2, 3, 4 or 5s. However, I'm trying to get a better feel for the projected role of Rhon Mitchell. It seems like I remember at one point Coach Knight said if Rhon would have been eligible last year he would have been competing for some of Charlie Harper's playing time. Most on this board think of Mitchell as a 2 guard, but it seems to me he has the size to play multiple positions including an undersized small/power forward position just as Harper did the last couple of seasons. I'd like to hear how the staff projects him. I think regardless of position, he may be in the running for freshman of the year in the SLC.

Thanks for your insights and congratulations on the birth of your son.

Gary Linthicum

First off, thanks again Coach for joining and giving such detailed and quick responses to the questions asked.

Second, congrats again on the baby boy. Good looking kid, I know you're proud. We cant wait for ours in late August.

Third, I have a couple questions. Is the coaching staff coming together with the departure of Coach Price and the promotion of Kermit Holmes? And with the departure of so the seniors of last years team who do you hope and who do you guys expect to step up and take a leadership roles on this team next season?

Thanks again!

Thanks Mike. Young'uns are a blessing, and I'm really enjoying the experience.

The coaching staff is coming together quite nicely. Kermit was incredibly gracious last year when the new staff got to Lamar. He was a huge help to me during the transition and proved that he was a valuable piece to our puzzle. I am really happy to have him in a recruiting role. We actually have a bit of news coming down the pipe as it pertains to the staff. I don't think I can comment on it yet. When the news breaks, then I'll be more than happy to talk about it.

Stan, Donley and Nikko have really showed a great attitude so far. Stan has put in a lot of work in the weight rom and gym. The other two aren't on campus yet, but have been active in keeping in contact wit the other players. I'm not concerned about leadership on this team. I think we will have some great locker room guys this season.

Okay Coach, generally speaking is there anyone in the area worthy of recruitment of Lamar? No names or schools needs. I was just wondering if we might add a local at somepoint..Again, like Mike said that for everything and again congratulatons on the birth of Waylon.

Mike, let us know when your baby is born. I'd like to send a gift!!!

There are a lot of really good players in SETX. I would say there are 6 or 7 high school players in the area that could be D1 players. There are 2 or 3 kids that are freshmen/sophomores that will be recruited by the U Texas, Baylor, LSU, A&m's of the world. There is also a local kid that is at a JUCO that I have strong ties to, in which I will be following closely.

It is nice to recruit kids with established ties to the community,but you have to make sure that the kid is a good fit for the program. I think you do a local kid injustice by signing him because he's local, but he isn't a great fit with the program. I would rather have a kid go somewhere else and be successful, than have him rot on our bench.

That being said, I think there is the potential to see a kid or two from the triangle in a Lamar jersey.

Coach, I know in the Knight system you don't designate players as 1,2, 3, 4 or 5s. However, I'm trying to get a better feel for the projected role of Rhon Mitchell. It seems like I remember at one point Coach Knight said if Rhon would have been eligible last year he would have been competing for some of Charlie Harper's playing time. Most on this board think of Mitchell as a 2 guard, but it seems to me he has the size to play multiple positions including an undersized small/power forward position just as Harper did the last couple of seasons. I'd like to hear how the staff projects him. I think regardless of position, he may be in the running for freshman of the year in the SLC.

Thanks for your insights and congratulations on the birth of your son.

Gary Linthicum

Gary, it's always nice to see you behind the bench. Rhon is a very versatile player. I could Describe him as a smaller Scottie Pippen type guy. He does alot of really nice things on the court, the most important bringing an intensity and engery level He is a long 6-6 and extremely athletic. He handles well and really gets to the rack. He has a nice pull up mid-range game and is capable of sticking a 3. He needs to be a more consistent shooter. The reason he can play a "power forward" type position is that he is really athletic and could guard bigger players and compete on the boards. If Rhon continues to develop he could be as good of a player that has come through the SLC in a while.

I do think that you can put Rhon and Amos on the court together and create major matchup problems. Those two can cover almost anybody on the court defensively and create problems for other teams offensively. They allow us the flexibility to play different types of lineups.

Guest CardAmbassador
Clif, do you know if any of last years team will plan on being around when they drop the NCAA banner at the Montagne? I think that would be cool if that team got back together for that.

Clif, do you know if any of last years team will plan on being around when they drop the NCAA banner at the Montagne? I think that would be cool if that team got back together for that.

I don't think any thought has been given to a banner ceremony yet. I would love to get the group back together, but as it looks now, some of the guys will be busy playing and making money during the season.