Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Online Q/A with LU basketball coach Clif Carroll

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Online Q/A with LU basketball coach Clif Carroll

[quote author=coachacola link=topic=37042.msg39253#msg39253 date=1340733516]
    Do you think Doty will see much action this year?
    [/quote]

I love Doty. His first practice last year we started off doing our alley drill. None of our players liked to guard Lamb in the drill. Doty jumped right in, got knocked on his ass, jumped up and did it again. He is a tough kid that didn't get to spend much time on basketball until this season. He needed a lot of work on basketball skills and has been in the gym everyday since he put on a LU uniform. It will be interesting to see what he does this summer in workouts.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=CardAmbassador link=topic=37042.msg39261#msg39261 date=1340735521]
    Wow, thanks for that detailed response.

I just thought of another question that maybe you could answer after you get to everyone else's questions.

Alot of fan discussion has centered around what we should expect from such a young team. What are the player's and coaches expectations for this year?
    [/quote]

We are realistic. We will have a young team and a difficult non-conference schedule. We have an uphill battle in front of us, but I love the attitude that our returners are bringing. I really like how we recruited this year. If we have some things come together, don't be surprised if the SLC isn't looking up at the Cardinals again at the end of next season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Toward the end of the year last year Osas "The Black Hole" really became a fan favorite on the defensive end with what he did in the tournament. The big question about him has always been his offense. So my question is how is he progressing with his offensive skills and do y'all see him as a starter or as a sixth man?
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust 'em.

Jim Valvano

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=coachacola link=topic=37042.msg39264#msg39264 date=1340735758]
    Will Lamar have a hard time getting enough home games each year by not scheduling non-D1 schools? If true, what would make it easier?
    [/quote]

It would be easier to pay bunch of NAIA and D3 schools to play here in Beaumont, but it does your team no good to play walk over teams. We have to test ourselves every time we step on the court or we don't get better. I have worked tirelessly to try to get quality D1 games here in the Montagne. The Bracketbuster helps with that. We will have George Mason come play us here in 2013. I have talked to teams like Valpo, San Francisco, Louisiana Monroe, Indiana State and countless others about home and home series. The key to getting good teams to come play here, is not to be afraid of playing good teams.

I have also kicked around the idea of hosting a pre-season tournament here. The earliest it could happen would be 2014 or 2015. SFA has a tournament called the ETech classic. I would like to do the same thing here at Lamar.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=Big T link=topic=37042.msg39271#msg39271 date=1340737916]
    Toward the end of the year last year Osas "The Black Hole" really became a fan favorite on the defensive end with what he did in the tournament. The big question about him has always been his offense. So my question is how is he progressing with his offensive skills and do y'all see him as a starter or as a sixth man?
    [/quote]

My big question mark with "The Black Hole" (I like that by the way) has been consistent effort. He played as well in the 2nd half of the SLC Championship game as any big guy in the country. On the flip side of that, he was absolutely awful against Vermont in the NCAA's. Offensively, all we need him to do is screen and be disruptive on the offensive boards. We don't need him to score us 20 a night. We DO need him to play like his hair is on fire every time he steps on the court defensively. If he ever figures out how to do that, watch out!

Adding a note here:
    I love Osas. He is a great young man with tremendous upside. Admittedly, I coach Osas pretty hard. He has the ability to dominate games, and I have faith that he will get to that point.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

What are your thought on the SLC bringing in Oral Roberts, HBU, and possibly UNO?

Does this hurt, help, or not effect LU recruiting?
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust 'em.

Jim Valvano

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=Big T link=topic=37042.msg39275#msg39275 date=1340738416]
    What are your thought on the SLC bringing in Oral Roberts, HBU, and possibly UNO?

Does this hurt, help, or not effect LU recruiting?
    [/quote]

I like that the SLC is being pro-active and replacing teams that have moved on from our conference with quality schools. Obviously Oral Roberts is the biggest dog in that pack. They have amble resources to work with and Coach Sutton does an unbelievable job. They will raise the level of play in the SLC and I like it. I don't think it changes the way we recruit.

I am also excited about UNO coming to the SLC. It never hurts to spend a little time in the Big Easy and Coach Slessinger (former Northwestern State Asst) is a great guy and will be a great addition to the SLC coaching fraternity.

I am personally pulling for Abilene Christian to be added as well. I grew up in that area and it could be neat for that area to have another D1 team to root for besides Texas Tech. I am also very close the the head coach there and would love for him to get the call up..

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

This has been great. I have to run to some meeting on campus, but continue to post questions and I will stop by from time to time and answer them. A big thank you to Mike and BRI for allowing me to do this.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

LeBron took his talents to South Beach..........when is Clif Carroll gonna bring his talents to the golf course??? :D

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

What role do you see for each newcomer in the event they get extensive playing time? (Feel free to combine a few if they are like in attributes)

Wilson
    Blanks
    Webb
    Muepo
    Hancock
    Smith
    Minton
    Mitchell

CardinalClaw

Coach Carroll tweeted that his wife is in the hospital and it looks like their first child is coming a little early. Congrats to both of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Any truth to opening season with 1o consecutive road games? Wow! Are we joing the SWAC or MEAC?? Who will we be playing at home non-conference?? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

It's 4:00 am and I'm laying on a glorified cot in a hospital room. My wife surprised me with a call this afternoon and told me that we were having our baby 3 weeks early. She did great, Waylon is doing good, and I couldn't be prouder of them both. Thank you all for the well wishes posted on the site. We'll have at least one more Cardinal fan in the Montagne this year!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=37042.msg39285#msg39285 date=1340742769]
    LeBron took his talents to South Beach..........when is Clif Carroll gonna bring his talents to the golf course??? :D
    [/quote]

I don't have many talents to bring on the course. I think me and Barkley could make a great twosome. With the recent development, I don't know if my wife will let me out of the house until we hit the road recruiting in July. I would love to come out and play though.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=TBonesLU link=topic=37042.msg39286#msg39286 date=1340744577]
    What role do you see for each newcomer in the event they get extensive playing time? (Feel free to combine a few if they are like in attributes)

Wilson
    Blanks
    Webb
    Muepo
    Hancock
    Smith
    Minton
    Mitchell
    [/quote]
    I hope that Wilson can come in a be a leader along with the returning guys. He has good experience in a structured system and has the ability to be one of the better players in the SLC.

Blanks is lightning fast and plays with a lot of creativity. He can really get up and down the floor and defend the ball 94 ft. He will find minutes because he will defend and he could see significant minutes when he gets control of the offense.

Webb is a very versatile guard. He can play point or off. He is the best passer I have ever recruited. Because of his size and strength (kid weighs over 200 and can bench over 300) we will be able to,let him guard almost anybody on the court which allows us to play some crazy lineups. He will give us a steady hand at the guard spot early on in the season and allow the young guys to develop. On top of all of that, he is a basketball junkie and his enthusiasm for the game is contagious.

Muepo is a freak physically and athletically. He is a big 6-7, and can move. He is a little raw offensively and hasn't played in a system like ours. He is the type of player that could dominate the SLC for a few years once he figures out what he is doing out there.

Hancock is a flat out knock down shooter. He is a basketball junkie and a gym rat. It will be interesting to see how he transitions to an American style of basketball.

Smith is a dynamic guard who has a tremendous upside. I could see a scenario where he could be a significant player if he catches onto the system. He has every tool to be an all SLC guy by the time he leaves LU.

Minton is the kind of kid that doesn't get a lot of respect because he doesn't pass the eye test. He is too small to be a D1 guard. He doesn't look like he shoots it all that great. There isn't a lot of flash to him. But, he has that something different about him that makes him a winner. He is tough as nails and has ice water running through his veins. He is the kind of kid that I will take on my team any day. I have a feeling that he will use pure guts to get on the floor.

Mitchell is a super talented, tough, and competes his ass off. He doesn't say much or show much emotion,but he comes to win. No doubt he will be a big part of what we are doing next year.

Half the battle for new guys is to learn how to compete everyday. The kids that figure that out will get to play. Some of them will take longer. You have to remember that most of these guys have not been in strength and conditioning programs and study hall programs like we have. The kids that can get everything straight off the court have the best chance to get on the court.