Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Online Q/A with LU basketball coach Clif Carroll

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Online Q/A with LU basketball coach Clif Carroll

[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=37042.msg39477#msg39477 date=1341249696]
    Okay Coach, generally speaking is there anyone in the area worthy of recruitment of Lamar? No names or schools needs. I was just wondering if we might add a local at somepoint..Again, like Mike said that for everything and again congratulatons on the birth of Waylon.

Mike, let us know when your baby is born. I'd like to send a gift!!!
    [/quote]

There are a lot of really good players in SETX. I would say there are 6 or 7 high school players in the area that could be D1 players. There are 2 or 3 kids that are freshmen/sophomores that will be recruited by the U Texas, Baylor, LSU, A&m's of the world. There is also a local kid that is at a JUCO that I have strong ties to, in which I will be following closely.

It is nice to recruit kids with established ties to the community,but you have to make sure that the kid is a good fit for the program. I think you do a local kid injustice by signing him because he's local, but he isn't a great fit with the program. I would rather have a kid go somewhere else and be successful, than have him rot on our bench.

That being said, I think there is the potential to see a kid or two from the triangle in a Lamar jersey.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=Lamar Pride link=topic=37042.msg39488#msg39488 date=1341269015]
    Coach, I know in the Knight system you don't designate players as 1,2, 3, 4 or 5s. However, I'm trying to get a better feel for the projected role of Rhon Mitchell. It seems like I remember at one point Coach Knight said if Rhon would have been eligible last year he would have been competing for some of Charlie Harper's playing time. Most on this board think of Mitchell as a 2 guard, but it seems to me he has the size to play multiple positions including an undersized small/power forward position just as Harper did the last couple of seasons. I'd like to hear how the staff projects him. I think regardless of position, he may be in the running for freshman of the year in the SLC.

Thanks for your insights and congratulations on the birth of your son.

Gary Linthicum
    [/quote]

Gary, it's always nice to see you behind the bench. Rhon is a very versatile player. I could Describe him as a smaller Scottie Pippen type guy. He does alot of really nice things on the court, the most important bringing an intensity and engery level He is a long 6-6 and extremely athletic. He handles well and really gets to the rack. He has a nice pull up mid-range game and is capable of sticking a 3. He needs to be a more consistent shooter. The reason he can play a "power forward" type position is that he is really athletic and could guard bigger players and compete on the boards. If Rhon continues to develop he could be as good of a player that has come through the SLC in a while.

I do think that you can put Rhon and Amos on the court together and create major matchup problems. Those two can cover almost anybody on the court defensively and create problems for other teams offensively. They allow us the flexibility to play different types of lineups.

CardAmbassador

Clif, do you know if any of last years team will plan on being around when they drop the NCAA banner at the Montagne? I think that would be cool if that team got back together for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=CardAmbassador link=topic=37042.msg39546#msg39546 date=1341425033]
    Clif, do you know if any of last years team will plan on being around when they drop the NCAA banner at the Montagne? I think that would be cool if that team got back together for that.
    [/quote]

I don't think any thought has been given to a banner ceremony yet. I would love to get the group back together, but as it looks now, some of the guys will be busy playing and making money during the season.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

The scoreboard in the Montagne Center is terribly outdated. Are there plans to update it with a new video scoreboard anytime soon?

Sophomore Poster ScreamingDeane's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=coachacola link=topic=37042.msg39565#msg39565 date=1341500759]
    The scoreboard in the Montagne Center is terribly outdated. Are there plans to update it with a new video scoreboard anytime soon?
    [/quote]

I want to add to this question coach carroll. With all the excitement surrounding the program whether there are plans for a new video scoreboard or not what type of game experience enhancements can be implemented and does the staff have any input? I think a new PA announcer would help and obviously if the money is there a better scoreboard as mentioned above. The atmosphere in the arena is much better when the students pack it in so whatever we can do to get them there the better. oh and thanks again for taking your time to answer our questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=ScreamingDeane link=topic=37042.msg39566#msg39566 date=1341501614]
    [quote author=coachacola link=topic=37042.msg39565#msg39565 date=1341500759]
    [/quote]

I want to add to this question coach carroll. With all the excitement surrounding the program whether there are plans for a new video scoreboard or not what type of game experience enhancements can be implemented and does the staff have any input? I think a new PA announcer would help and obviously if the money is there a better scoreboard as mentioned above. The atmosphere in the arena is much better when the students pack it in so whatever we can do to get them there the better. oh and thanks again for taking your time to answer our questions.
    [/quote]

Call me crazy, but I kind of like the old school scoreboard. I can hear some of you screaming at the screen as you read that. :D I do realize that a video board would greatly enhance the fan experience, so I do hope that we can get a new one. I do know that there has been an effort by Montagne Center administration to raise money for a video board. I am in complete support of that, though I do not have much to do with it. The only thing I want is for them to do it right. I do not want to spend a significant amount of money on a little dinky screen, when a)we could have waited and raised enough money for a screen worth it and/or b) the money raised could have been put to better use in other areas in which we sorely need upgrades.

Our job is to build a program in which we are proud to put out in front of our fans. We leave the promotions to our marketing department. We hired a guy last fall who is in charge of promotions during games. He did not have enough time to fully implement his ideas last season. He runs his thoughts by me all the time and I know that he is full of ideas that will get more tail ends in the seats, and then keep them entertained once they get there. With a full year to handle his budget and implement his ideas, things will be better on that front.

As far as getting more students to come to games? That will come. I think we get more students to games than people realize. Our students tend to scatter into the empty seats around the stands instead of packing themselves into the "student section". As our attendance continues to rise, the students will be concentrated into the student section. Our promotions guy also has many great ideas to get the students involved with the program.

In my mind, attendance comes down to this: you have to put kids on the court in which the community can be proud to associate with and you have to win games. If you do those two things, more people will want to associate themselves with your program. Within the past year, I think we have done those two things.

BigRed2010

Winning cures a lot of ills. Lamar fans will come out when we start winning consistently. Good things are coming for Lamar basketball in the the future. You gotta believe!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Coach, Thanks for the opportunity to have this forum. It gives us outside of Beaumont a chance to get an inside look at the program. Congratulation on the little guy too.
    I am glad that there is more of an effort to schedule D-1 teams, I feel it will help the team not only in conference, but may eventually produce better seeds in the NCAAs. I attended the TCU game last year and will attend the Baylor game this year - I live in Austin. My question is if you get any suggestions from fans on certain players that some feel would be a good fit and if this type of thing would be considered illegal under NCAA regulations?

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=austin badbyrd link=topic=37042.msg39586#msg39586 date=1341529007]
    Coach, Thanks for the opportunity to have this forum. It gives us outside of Beaumont a chance to get an inside look at the program. Congratulation on the little guy too.
    I am glad that there is more of an effort to schedule D-1 teams, I feel it will help the team not only in conference, but may eventually produce better seeds in the NCAAs. I attended the TCU game last year and will attend the Baylor game this year - I live in Austin. My question is if you get any suggestions from fans on certain players that some feel would be a good fit and if this type of thing would be considered illegal under NCAA regulations?
    [/quote]

We have talked with the Horns about playing a agame in Austin, but the dates have not worked out. I get recommendations on players all the time. So long as you aren't going out and buying those players corvettes, it is perfectly fine to shoot me an email giving me the heads up about a player.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

How often are those leads actually helpful

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=jdcurran235 link=topic=37042.msg39621#msg39621 date=1341612430]
    How often are those leads actually helpful
    [/quote]

About half the time they are kids that we already know about. There are some that just flat aren't good enough. However, one of the best players I have coached was a tip given to me by a guy who didn't know beans about basketball. The kids grandfather and the guy who gave me the tip were fishing buddies. I did a little research on the kid and he turned out to be a really good player that was overlooked. He was a 2 year all conference guy for us at Collin and had a decent year at Gardner Webb last year. Now days with google and all of the recruiting data bases, I can do 10 minutes worth of research on my iPhone and get plenty of information on a kid. So it is worth it to me to chase down every lead.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Coach,

The teams at Tech tried up to go up tempo, which I thought might work if the team played like the great team Pat was on at IU in the early 90's. I really hoped he would find a few players and make that work in the B12. Some saw Pat as abandoning principle. I thought he was actually fine on principle but could not get execution, maybe wasn't able to teach as well as RMK, but heck, nobody ever did that better. People misunderstood Bob Knight and thought he as always old school, but he was very creative and innovative.

How much is Pat a different coach now than when he was at Tech and you first met him. How much will we old timers see in Lamar basketball that goes way back, how much do you think will be something new? I love the ball oriented man defense and the motion offense, hope we continue to see that old time religion!

As much as I hate seeing a team with so many new faces, it really is a chance to teach and build toward a time 3 or 4 years down the road, where he will have a roster full of kids who know how to play. What is the plan for teaching so much to so many new kids? You have said they fit well, do any come in with previous experience in a similar system?

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=00hmh link=topic=37042.msg39655#msg39655 date=1341694585]
    Coach,

The teams at Tech tried up to go up tempo, which I thought might work if the team played like the great team Pat was on at IU in the early 90's. I really hoped he would find a few players and make that work in the B12. Some saw Pat as abandoning principle. I thought he was actually fine on principle but could not get execution, maybe wasn't able to teach as well as RMK, but heck, nobody ever did that better. People misunderstood Bob Knight and thought he as always old school, but he was very creative and innovative.

How much is Pat a different coach now than when he was at Tech and you first met him. How much will we old timers see in Lamar basketball that goes way back, how much do you think will be something new? I love the ball oriented man defense and the motion offense, hope we continue to see that old time religion!

As much as I hate seeing a team with so many new faces, it really is a chance to teach and build toward a time 3 or 4 years down the road, where he will have a roster full of kids who know how to play. What is the plan for teaching so much to so many new kids? You have said they fit well, do any come in with previous experience in a similar system?
    [/quote]

The baseline of our team will always be a true motion offense and man to man defense with help principles. That will never change. Pat has thrown in a little zone and more ball screens than we ran at Tech with coach. There was a misconception about Coach Knight wanting to slow it down and grind it out. Over 3/4 of our offensive drills at Tech included conversion. He believed in running as much as any others, but because he demanded discipline there was a label thrown on him as a slow down coach. Pat is no different. We encourage our guys to push as much as anybody else, but we aren't going to settle for poor shots.

We are going to approach this year the same as we did last year. We have to get everyone on the same page defensively. We will slowly introduce the offense. It will be easier this year because we have the returners + Rhon, who was in a couple weeks of practices, and the two kids from Collin which ran a motion type offense. With over half the team comfortable with the offense, the other will come along quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Coach I hope I'm not too late to post a few questions,

What are the odds we can get Lamar in a game with Indiana? I know that would sell out. What are Coach Knights ties to the school?

Who was the best player you have ever coached?

Liquor or beer?

I love that we are recruiting Indiana, will that remain a priority?

Do we know all the teams we will play in the NIT this year?

Lastly, what was the best game you have ever gotten to help coach, win or lose?

Thanks for your time!
    It is what it is.