Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Online Q/A with LU basketball coach Clif Carroll

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Online Q/A with LU basketball coach Clif Carroll

[quote author=00hmh link=topic=37042.msg43585#msg43585 date=1347399088]
    Coach,

What's going on with the Program in these early weeks. Are the kids getting settled into school, showing good work ethic in practice?

As you see the kids work with coaches and the other players how is the chemistry and the how are they handling the learning curve.

How do you work with the newcomers on the difference between straight man defense and the ball oriented defense we might expect to see? Can you do much to get them ready for that or do you need to wait for full scale practice?

Are any strengths and weaknesses going to be a theme we watch during the year other than the talent (I hope a strength) and the experience (looks like a challenge)?
    [/quote]

These first few weeks of practice we have been in our 4 man groups working on individual skills and screening and cutting. This group reminds me a bit of some of my JUCO teams, meaning that we have a lot of freshmen/new comers that have to get adjusted to the college life. I think some of the realized real quick that this was not going to be an easy transition and freaked out a bit. Some of these guys have no clue what hard work is, but they are beginning to figure it out.

We haven't done much as far as teaching our team defense has go e. it is hard to do that playing 2 on 2. We will get into that this week when we get to our team workouts. We have emphasized our on ball defense the past few weeks.

Chemistry is hard to figure out until you get more than 4 guys on a court together. Having 8 new guys, it will take time to get every one on the same page. They are working hard together in strength and conditioning, so that is a good sign. The learning curve is wide and sweeping. It will take this team time before we see anything close to a finished product.

I love our versatility. We will be able to play different looking lineups that should be hard to guard and be able to switch everything on defense.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=lcm2007ms link=topic=37042.msg43688#msg43688 date=1347639947]
    What are we getting paid for our guarantee games?
    [/quote]

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to divulge that info. We are getting paid fairly well though.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=BigRedTrack link=topic=37042.msg43693#msg43693 date=1347647263]
    Coach - If you had one wish from the outside, fans/community, what would that be? This could be anything from facilities, support, etc.
    [/quote]

I want to note that this is what I think, and not necessarily what Pat believes.

I think we need to find a way to endow our scholarships. I know that take a huge financial commitment, but it take a huge burden off of our athletic department. It also is nice to know that you have funds for summer school and for players who may need a few classes after they have used their eligibility up.

Other than the scholarship money, I would like to see and upgrade to our basketball facilities and a practice gym built. Our arena is really nice and we proudly feel that it is the best place to play basketball in the Southland. Our locker rooms, video room, training room and offices are all a little run down and could use a little make over. A modernization could be nice in the Montagne. Adding video boards and video ribbons would be neat. I love the old school feel of the Montagne though, so I am torn when we talk about things like that.

We also have problems this time of year finding a place to workout. When we have event in the Montagne like the Circus this week, we have to find alternate places to work out. We are in the middle of volleyball season, so use of the McDonald gym is very limited. We usually end up in the Women's gym in the PE building which is not ideal. A small gym put behind the Montagne woul be ideal. If you wanted to, you could put locker rooms and offices over there and knock out several birds with one stone. It would also give our players a place to workout anytime that needed. When our guys work out on their own now, they usually end up at the rec with the other students if the Montagne is not open.

I Love the suport we have here. We have a very big base of die hard basketball fans at Lamar, and as we continue to progress the program, we will pick up the casual fan.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Coach, who is the idiot that put this schedule together? All I got to say is if you plan on racin in the Kentucky Derby, you can't waste your time training donkeys. You had better have some horses in the stable. Haha

On a serious note, I'm glad you and the staff are here and hope that you all much success.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=Lawnmower link=topic=37042.msg44216#msg44216 date=1348454513]
    Coach, who is the idiot that put this schedule together? All I got to say is if you plan on racin in the Kentucky Derby, you can't waste your time training donkeys. You had better have some horses in the stable. Haha

On a serious note, I'm glad you and the staff are here and hope that you all much success.
    [/quote]

Probably is the same idiot that thought you how to use your iPad and let you steal wifi off of me. I hope we have more thorough breds than we do donkeys.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Pretty excited about that Purdue game!!! 8) 8)

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=37042.msg44276#msg44276 date=1348628794]
    [/quote]

It will be nuts. You get get to see a little bit of the Hoosier Mania. I'm glad you guys are getting to go.

quakers93

[quote author=clifcarroll link=topic=37042.msg44280#msg44280 date=1348633686]
    [/quote]

It will be nuts. You get get to see a little bit of the Hoosier Mania. I'm glad you guys are getting to go.
    [/quote]

Coach, I am a Lamar fan in IN and can not wait for the season to start! How are the new guys gelling with the upperclassmen?

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Donley Minor had a down year compared to his first two years at Lamar. Do you think last year was a fluke and do you think he'll have a big year as a senior? With all the young players on the team, especially at guard, a big year from Minor would really help the team win.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Could be big. Will like to see Coach Cliff's answer.

His experience would help and if he has successfully made the adjustments he needed to, that might really help him working with the new kids who need to do the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=quakers93 link=topic=37042.msg44971#msg44971 date=1349995283]
    [quote author=clifcarroll link=topic=37042.msg44280#msg44280 date=1348633686]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Coach, I am a Lamar fan in IN and can not wait for the season to start! How are the new guys gelling with the upperclassmen?
    [/quote]

Folks, sorry I have fallen down on my question and answer duties. I have only been home for 3 days in the last 3 weeks. I'm finally starting to get some down time to write things out.

The team is beginning to gel nicely. We have a great group of kids and I think they love playing together.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=coachacola link=topic=37042.msg45004#msg45004 date=1350060646]
    Donley Minor had a down year compared to his first two years at Lamar. Do you think last year was a fluke and do you think he'll have a big year as a senior? With all the young players on the team, especially at guard, a big year from Minor would really help the team win.
    [/quote]

Donley will have a good year. We need him to have a good year. He has worked really hard this off season and he is really taking a hold of the locker room. I expect he'll have a breakout year.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

How do these guys defend?

I know you can't answer all this at this early date, but if you can, comment about some specifics Whatever you can say is great.

Will we be a tough defensive team, able to make the big stops or have to rely more to play offense and outscore the opponents?

Anybody stand out as a defensive player?

Are they getting the ideas behind ball oriented man defense?

Do we have enough size to defend the post or will we have to give up some shots to double the post? Or even packing in on man defense, like Wisconsin did for years?

Will we have enough quickness at guard to contain, or have to play zone, help a lot, to stop quick teams?

Can we get some offense with pressure, or will we be more locking down and playing to make the stops?

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Coach, is recruiting going better than this time last year?

Have y'all decided on which of these newcomers will likely be redshirted?

Do you see any of the walk-ons contributing minutes this year?
    It is what it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I have a feeling with the season coming up, Coach may be a little busy