Thread: Do you want Lamar to sign players with "baggage"?

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Do you want Lamar to sign players with "baggage"?

I have just noticed such a broad point of view on the Hershel Sims and Anthony Oden threads that I wanted to start a poll to get a count.
    It is what it is.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Do you want Lamar to sign players with "baggage"?

At the point that LU is at right now, they need to sign who they can to get into the hunt for a conference title and a potential playoff spot. It hurts nothing to take a shot on a kid who can really help LU on the field. Plus I am a firm believer in giving someone a 2nd chance. If they blow the chance you give them, then so be it. We can live without them if they blow it. I know for a FACT that Woodard and his staff have TONS of research and talked to several people about the character of a few of the new LU players. I trust him as a judge of talent and a judge of character!!!!!

CardAmbassador

First something like taking a transfer with supposed baggage is very much a case by case determination. There are definitely cases where I believe we should give someone a shot. I was much more strongly opposed to Oden because he wasn't getting a second chance, it was actually his third.

Second, Lamar coaches know more than I or any fan about these transfers, but I just hope people understand that someone can be an angel here and it can still have a negative impact on the team. Oden while I don't know the whole story is kind of what I'm getting at, he didn't get in any trouble, but he supposedly didn't really appreciate this opportunity or give it his all, I think his attitude could have been a detriment to the team. So players can come in and be good here but something as small as work ethic can still be a negative impact on the team.

finally, I voted yes, because I'm glad that we give some people a look, I was actually in favor of giving Dorsey a shot here.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

i agree with waht lazeek and cardambassador said. it should be by a case by case basis. so far the lamar coaches have done a good job of getting guys that keep their noses clean off the field. everyone was down on oden at first but he never got in any trouble here i dont think. he couldnt block and didnt hustle but he didnt drink and drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I agree- it's totally a case-by-case basis. Judge the young man... judge the situation... make the decision.

LU 17

Cardambassador, well said. I watched Oden when he would come off the field and sit down on the sidelines. He would sit by himself and people would have to come over to where he was sitting to talk to him. I even mentioned this to another friend of mine who was also at all the games. This needs to be evaluated on a case by case basis. In the sports world, stories like this are all over the NFL, MLB and the NCAA. Oh, and don't think some other SLC team wouldn't have scooped Sims up if we had passed on him.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I'd let somebody else take a chance on em (and Sims and Oden arent the only "baggage kids" we bought in)....I think we have too many "win at any cost" people here

I prefer freshman that wanna be here over transfers that"end" up here ....

that being said..hope he keeps clean and tears it up..

CardinalClaw

Maybe someone can help me out but I can only think of 3 transfers LAMAR has brought in with off the field baggage.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=37106.msg40133#msg40133 date=1342408282]
    I'd let somebody else take a chance on em (and Sims and Oden arent the only "baggage kids" we bought in)....I think we have too many "win at any cost" people here

[/quote]

Finally someone else with some sort of reasoning. Felony baggage is not worth the chance. I totally agree that we should bring in freshman that we can groom versus someone else's failed project. I don't mind transfers, but not the ones with major baggage.

BigRed2010

[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=37106.msg40133#msg40133 date=1342408282]

[/quote]
    I think some kids deserve a second chance. I don't think we have "too many win at any cost" people at Lamar. How about we wait a few years and then judge how our program is doing. I think "ray-ray" has our program on the right track. We just need to be patient as a "fan base". Let's keep supporting our coaches and our players. We are going to get through these first few years of our program restarting. We will catch up to SFA, SHSU and McNeese. Patience,patience, patience. We will get there!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=CardinalClaw link=topic=37106.msg40136#msg40136 date=1342408646]
    Maybe someone can help me out but I can only think of 3 transfers LAMAR has brought in with off the field baggage.
    [/quote]
    Adrian Dorsey has not been in any kind of trouble since coming to Lamar as a sophomore transfer. I don't think any of the others have either. Since Sims had never been in any kind of trouble before this, I bet he has no problems at LAMAR either. Johnson and Okafor sure don't seem to have any problems with Sims if they are rooming together.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=coachacola link=topic=37106.msg40145#msg40145 date=1342409735]
    [quote author=CardinalClaw link=topic=37106.msg40136#msg40136 date=1342408646]
    [/quote]
    Adrian Dorsey has not been in any kind of trouble since coming to Lamar as a sophomore transfer. I don't think any of the others have either. Since Sims had never been in any kind of trouble before this, I bet he has no problems at LAMAR either. Johnson and Okafor sure don't seem to have any problems with Sims if they are rooming together.
    [/quote]

+1