Thread: Lamar Football Banquet

Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Lamar Football Banquet

Lamar kicked off the football season last night with the legendary "Bum" Phillips speaking at their annual banquet. I've attended every LU football banquet since they brought football back and it gets better every year. Definitely more tables filled than last year.

Bob West introduced Coach "Bum" Phillips and "Bum" had some great one liners and gave Coach Woodard some advice on what type of players to recruit. Players that will do what you tell them to do. He also commented that Lamar’s football facilities should be a great recruiting tool and one of the best he has ever seen.

Kudos to whomever put this banquet together. It was a top notch production.
    Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.

Bill Shankly

CardAmbassador

Re: Lamar Football Banquet

So if this was bigger than last year was it the biggest yet? How many people would you say made it to the banquet.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

It was a great banquet, very enjoyable evening. Bum Phillips was hilarious, but I don't think it was as well attended as last year's banquet. I saw a lot more empty tables.

Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I counted 70 paid tables not counting the back tables where the players were sitting. They did have a handful of tables probably for any overflow last minute sales open without anyone sitting at. There was seating for eight at each table, so I believe you are looking at 500 plus attending. The tables went for $10,000 (for the host table), $2,500 and $1,000 each or $100 for individuals.
    Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.

Bill Shankly

NorthoftheBorder

Lu wins 8 or 9 games and finishes in the top 3 of the SLC and you will probably see 1000+ at next years banquet

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

"Coach Woodard, you would be a much better coach if you would go out and recruit you an Earl Campbell." - Bum Phillips

He had the audience laughing all night. He is every bit as country as you would think well into his 80s. Good job Coach.
    It is what it is.

bigred360

Heard it was a great event...