Thread: ULL vs Lamar (Let's be honest)

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

ULL vs Lamar (Let's be honest)

The fact of the matter we got beat by a bigger, stronger, faster team. ULL will go to Florida this year and will get the same ass whooping. We stepped out of our league and got a nice check.
    I can't bash our o-line..hell they were undersized by 30 to 50 lbs.
    Our QB play was hard to gauge for the fact we had no time to do anything.
    Our running backs did show promise on some nice cuts and runs.
    Defense was not that bad considering they were also giving up size and speed.
    ULL's program has been around a long time and has finally gotten to the level to get those big fast recruits. They are getting everything second in Louisiana behind LSU. They are also in the area of some really great football with Acadiana, Carencro and others. They can't all go to LSU.
    As someone refered to earlier our offense is still learning a new scheme. They were all recruited from spread teams and we have changed. I'm not much on the pro set but the QB's still have to have time to see receivers.
    As for us getting those bigger faster stronger guys....It is hard to recruit at this level. If you zoom in on a guy who is a ULL or full D1 level you probably lose him before you get him to Beaumont. We have to get the big guys and fast guys that are missed or as you say projects. Example. The 6'5" oline guy who is 315lbs and moves good is not coming to beaumont over A&m or Texas, or Tech or whoever...Recruiting here is tough.
    It will take years to build this program to the ULL level, not 3 or 4 but more. With fan support and administration we can get there. You might not realize it but putting butts in those seats is huge for recruiting. Pack the house every game and watch the recruits roll in. Kids do not want to play in front of high school crowds, they been there and done that..

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: ULL vs Lamar (Let's be honest)

Also forgot, we turned it over 5 times in the first half...no team wins with that. We looked better in second half and I know it was against a lot of their 2's but guys their 2's are the guys we will see in the SLC...Don't give up on these kids after one game. We owe them more than that. They might not be as big or as talented as other recruits but they work just as hard or harder. We should reward them on Saturday as we go out support and cheer them on. I'll be there!!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

We'll be there except for 10/27 (SHSU). Niece and her fiancee don't have the right priorities. They scheduled their wedding on that day. Guess I'll go to the wedding. ;D

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=lcard05 link=topic=37461.msg42965#msg42965 date=1346684627]
    The fact of the matter we got beat by a bigger, stronger, faster team. ULL will go to Florida this year and will get the same ass whooping. We stepped out of our league and got a nice check.
    I can't bash our o-line..hell they were undersized by 30 to 50 lbs.
    Our QB play was hard to gauge for the fact we had no time to do anything.
    Our running backs did show promise on some nice cuts and runs.
    Defense was not that bad considering they were also giving up size and speed.
    ULL's program has been around a long time and has finally gotten to the level to get those big fast recruits. They are getting everything second in Louisiana behind LSU. They are also in the area of some really great football with Acadiana, Carencro and others. They can't all go to LSU.
    As someone refered to earlier our offense is still learning a new scheme. They were all recruited from spread teams and we have changed. I'm not much on the pro set but the QB's still have to have time to see receivers.
    As for us getting those bigger faster stronger guys....It is hard to recruit at this level. If you zoom in on a guy who is a ULL or full D1 level you probably lose him before you get him to Beaumont. We have to get the big guys and fast guys that are missed or as you say projects. Example. The 6'5" oline guy who is 315lbs and moves good is not coming to beaumont over A&m or Texas, or Tech or whoever...Recruiting here is tough.
    It will take years to build this program to the ULL level, not 3 or 4 but more. With fan support and administration we can get there. You might not realize it but putting butts in those seats is huge for recruiting. Pack the house every game and watch the recruits roll in. Kids do not want to play in front of high school crowds, they been there and done that..
    [/quote]

+1 Excellent post

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Just watched a replay of part of the 1st quarter from the game. On the Mossakowski fumble, Kelso got beat bad by their 330 pound nose guard. Mossakowski didn't have much of a chance.

On the next possession, Davis should have stayed in the end zone on the kickoff, that cost Lamar 13 yards. When he did return the kickoff Simms did a poor job of blocking. Lamar started moving the ball a little until the Simms fumble. He should have held on to that ball.

As others have repeated on here, let Mossakowski play and don't shuffle QBs. Who's call is that, Kueck's or Woodard's? Woodard needs to let Kueck run the offense.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Re: ULL vs Lamar (Let's be honest)

[quote author=coachacola link=topic=37461.msg1#msg1 date=1346688715]

As others have repeated on here, let Mossakowski play and don't shuffle QBs. Who's call is that, Kueck's or Woodard's? Woodard needs to let Kueck run the offense.
    [/quote]

If anyone remembers Kueck's Lamar offenses in the late 80's, he also rotated two capable QBs, Shad Smith and John Evans. It wasn't until Shad graduated that John was given the starting job all to himself.

Both QBs did a great job (John was waaay more mobile, though). We all kinda scratched our heads at that decision back then, too.

CardAmbassador

Re: Re: ULL vs Lamar (Let's be honest)

[quote author=BigNasty92 link=topic=37461.msg42971#msg42971 date=1346689300]
    [quote author=coachacola link=topic=37461.msg1#msg1 date=1346688715]

[/quote]

If anyone remembers Kueck's Lamar offenses in the late 80's, he also rotated two capable QBs, Shad Smith and John Evans. It wasn't until Shad graduated that John was given the starting job all to himself.

Both QBs did a great job (John was waaay more mobile, though). We all kinda scratched our heads at that decision back then, too.
    [/quote]

Regardless I'll take this years offense over last years 100 times. Last year we didn't have any play calling diversity save a few games. We actually hit open receivers in the middle of the field on several occasions. Working the middle of the field was almost non existent last year.

LU 17

Card05, I agree with you about attendance. I disagree respectfully with the recruiting issue. I have watched TCU recruit 2 and 3 star recruits and beat traditional powerhouses. They have built that program similar to Boise State. We can do it. We have good attendance and good Facilities. There is no reason why we can't compete in the SLC in the near future. Maybe I'm just living in a fantasy world, but I think we have a lot of talent.

CardAmbassador

[quote author=LU 17 link=topic=37461.msg43008#msg43008 date=1346722645]
    Card05, I agree with you about attendance. I disagree respectfully with the recruiting issue. I have watched TCU recruit 2 and 3 star recruits and beat traditional powerhouses. They have built that program similar to Boise State. We can do it. We have good attendance and good Facilities. There is no reason why we can't compete in the SLC in the near future. Maybe I'm just living in a fantasy world, but I think we have a lot of talent.
    [/quote]

we have almost no 2 or 3 star recruits. There are some.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Nothing brings recruits like winning.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Walking around the flooded tailgate area full of fans and then sitting in the rain on the visitors side of Cajun Field and looking up at the very impressive upper deck and press box on the home side made me really think what losing football for 20 years cost Lamar and Jefferson County. We have good tailgate participation and very nice faciliites but I knew immediately upon arriving at Cajum Field that USL had leapfrogged us. I think the crowd was around 25K and the tailgate area was packed even in the rain. I came away worrying about beating PVAM, worrying about season ticket sales next year (because many of the premium seats had a three year commitment that ends after this year), and thinking about what I can do to keep fan support going for 2013 and 2014 (I think it will take 5 years to build a dominating FCS team like SHSU). My conclusion is to have the best tailgates I can put together and invite as many folks as I can feed. What do you think YOU can do to help keep things together while the team is building? Maybe this should be a seperate thread.