Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Time for cooler heads to prevail!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Time for cooler heads to prevail!!!

3 coaches in 5 years is what I experienced at Lamar and let me assure you it was not pleasant. In fact, I declined to play my last year of redshirt eligibility. Almost 30 yrs removed I will never forget when Keenan called us up and informed us he was moving on. So, who did the higher above decide to hire Ken Stephen. I watched a 120 man roster reduced to a dismal 55. Heck, we didn't even have enough for a spring game. Be careful for what you wish for, you never know what you going to get in return. With a dog in the hunt, I certainly don't want my son to experience what I had to endure. Winning is the ultimate measurable clause but there are so many other factors to consider before a change is made.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Phenomenal post!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Don't forget that Woodard has actually been here 5 years. And had a good 4 years of solid recruiting.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Yes and what he recruited to for the first year and half was a total joke. All he could do is TELL players what they would have and kids can't invision that.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

so, lets keep "bad"..cuz we are scared of "worse"?

thinking like that would still have Bob Frederick coaching, Kennan never been hired...

and Saturday was Bob Frederick bad

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

While I am disappointed in the performance and think Woodard should be on a short lease, Jettyman is correct that starting a roller coaster of coaching changes will hurt the program for the long haul. When you look at all the factors, starting a program without all the facilites in place, first year no games, an FCS program it is not hard to understand why we don't have the size and stregnth players we need to really be successful. Though with that said, there are many things that indicate we probably don't have the coaching team in place that will get us to where we the finickey fans want to be. It may be tough to stomach but I can take this and one more year to let Ray's contract expire before making a change.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I agree with Geezer. What I am really down on the program about is that Woodard complained about the fans (or lack of) at the SELa game and blamed that as part of the loss. It pisses me off when coaches (or anyone else) blame others for their failures. He acknowledges his players are playing hard, so to me it is some combination of talent, leadership, and coaching. Remember about chunking the coach down the road, Texas A&M chunked R.C. Slocum, hired Frantastic along with upgrading the facilities, and they have not recovered from that coaching change yet.

Crawfish

My opinion of the coaching staff's performance has not changed as the year has progressed. I posted a couple of weeks ago that I felt that the coaching staff will get a pass this season. Up until this weekend, the team had done exactly as I expected. If anyone here expected them to compete against the FBS teams, I think you are a bit naive. No offense intended, but there is just a big difference in talent level and depth that Lamar could not overcome. I expected Lamar to win against the sub D1 level team and the SWAC team. I really think this game against Southeastern was the first test for the Cards. Even though I was disapointed at the results, I am not ready to declare this season a bust. Regardless of what happens from here on, I think the staff will have another year.

Having said that... Next season they should look like a legitimate contender in every Southland game. If not, then there needs to be a hard look at what they are trying to do. I am not saying they have to win the conference next season, but they darn sure should show that they are in most of the games and win at least half of their conference games. These are reasonable expectations that I think the coaching staff would agree with. That is my opinion for whatever it is worth.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=jettyman link=topic=37616.msg44572#msg44572 date=1349185922]
    3 coaches in 5 years is what I experienced at Lamar and let me assure you it was not pleasant. In fact, I declined to play my last year of redshirt eligibility. Almost 30 yrs removed I will never forget when Keenan called us up and informed us he was moving on. So, who did the higher above decide to hire Ken Stephen. I watched a 120 man roster reduced to a dismal 55. Heck, we didn't even have enough for a spring game. Be careful for what you wish for, you never know what you going to get in return. With a dog in the hunt, I certainly don't want my son to experience what I had to endure. Winning is the ultimate measurable clause but there are so many other factors to consider before a change is made.
    [/quote]

Boo hoo hoo. Welcome to life.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=BigRedTrack link=topic=37616.msg44603#msg44603 date=1349219248]
    I agree with Geezer. What I am really down on the program about is that Woodard complained about the fans (or lack of) at the SELa game and blamed that as part of the loss. It pisses me off when coaches (or anyone else) blame others for their failures. He acknowledges his players are playing hard, so to me it is some combination of talent, leadership, and coaching. Remember about chunking the coach down the road, Texas A&M chunked R.C. Slocum, hired Frantastic along with upgrading the facilities, and they have not recovered from that coaching change yet.
    [/quote]

I am not saying I agree with him but THE FAN SUPPORT LAST WEEK WAS PITIFUL, PATHETIC, EMBARRASSING, DISGUSTING, SHAMEFUL, HORRIFIC, ETC ETC ETC

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=Crawfish link=topic=37616.msg44611#msg44611 date=1349229167]
    My opinion of the coaching staff's performance has not changed as the year has progressed. I posted a couple of weeks ago that I felt that the coaching staff will get a pass this season. Up until this weekend, the team had done exactly as I expected. If anyone here expected them to compete against the FBS teams, I think you are a bit naive. No offense intended, but there is just a big difference in talent level and depth that Lamar could not overcome. I expected Lamar to win against the sub D1 level team and the SWAC team. I really think this game against Southeastern was the first test for the Cards. Even though I was disapointed at the results, I am not ready to declare this season a bust. Regardless of what happens from here on, I think the staff will have another year.

Having said that... Next season they should look like a legitimate contender in every Southland game. If not, then there needs to be a hard look at what they are trying to do. I am not saying they have to win the conference next season, but they darn sure should show that they are in most of the games and win at least half of their conference games. These are reasonable expectations that I think the coaching staff would agree with. That is my opinion for whatever it is worth.
    [/quote]

You know, one thing I get sick and tired of hearing is how impossible it is for a lowly FCS school to compete with a might FBS school...sorry but that is total BS. Granted a top level FCS school cannot hang with a top level FBS school. But there are FCS schools that can play with FBS schools and there are many cases of FCS schools beating FBS schools. So, take your load of bunk somewhere else. We played ULL not Alabama. We played the current day Hawaii not the high powered Hawaii of old. Ask BYU how awesome Hawaii is.

LU 17

The fan support was bad for the last game. Heck, I almost didn't go because of the 100 percent chance of rain. But I did go. And Jettyman, I understand about your son being recruited and playing for the same coach. I was recruited by Kennen and Carl Smith, but you know who was there when I arrived. Sure wish we could have gotten rid of Stephens earlier, because he wasted a lot of talent. I would hate to see that with this staff. I again would like to say that I want this staff to succeed. It takes too long to start over, but we lost to a lower end conf opponent. It really wasn't that close. We had two drives and that was really it. To think we will be better next year, I ask why would you think that? We didn't improve from last year. Or, are we going to hope that everyone gets worse next year. Good luck with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

did i expect us to beat UL-L? no..hawaii? No? did i expect us to lay an egg vs ? SELA? Hell no

what we have now is a mediocre NAIA team...middle of the road SWAC..last place SLC

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=cardinal link=topic=37616.msg44614#msg44614 date=1349233122]
    [quote author=jettyman link=topic=37616.msg44572#msg44572 date=1349185922]
    [/quote]

Boo hoo hoo. Welcome to life.
    [/quote]

Now there is an intelligent response.

Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Why did you throw in the towel your redshirt year you could have made a difference, seems you quit on the team just like the 3 or ever how many coaches!! Just sayin!!