LU to Sunbelt??

Mike

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's interesting that Lamar was actually in contact with the Sun Belt in July. That's right after the deadline passed for inviting more schools. The Sun Belt had already invited Texas State, Georgia State and UTA, so Lamar talking to the Sun Belt would probably be about their next round of invites, if any.

I think it's more likely that Lamar is lined up to join the Sun Belt in the next round of conference shuffling. The SLC is scheduled to have 14 schools with 11 that play football within a few years. I bet they did that because they are expecting a couple of schools to leave to they go back down to a 12/9 format. And I wouldn't be surprised to see MTSU and/or WKU leave the Sun Belt soon.

What's up, Cards? Here's what I know.

The Sun Belt league office is going to publicly deny contact with LU (or SHSU, for that matter). Your people don't say shit even if their mouths are full. One day I am going to get around to showing everyone why people do things this way - there's certainly a excellent reason for this - but that's for a boring time in the offseason.

I think that there might be an answer developing - did Burnett and the SLC have to go to 10 (future 12)/14, and add west Texas and Oklahoma to his compact league? Adding 5 when you lost 3 might be a way of showing that 2 more are leaving. Or not. But it deserves some notice that we all know that someone at LU and Benson have each others cell numbers. This is just my speculation.

I have my own source in Knoxville, by a stroke of luck. He's into the area prep scene and has written a story about Stuart, and knows the author of the other one well. I have contacted him to see what he can find up there. Here's his article: http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1390773

Finally, I'm not really into recruiting. I think it's creepy to text teenage boys about where they want to go to college. However, I spent enough time with Brent and Fletcher to learn that kids will say anything. A conversation about hoping to be in the Sun Belt in four-five years so his parents can see him play in Murfreesboro would have relevance, and the young man wants to study chemical engineering. Aren't y'all top three in that?

Edited to Add: This isn't a mistake a writer at the level of Smithey would make and Stuart is a kid that should be playing at a BCS school.

Guest CardAmbassador

According to LU football commit Zach Stuart it's a done deal.

LINK: http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/oct/04/west-linebacker-zach-stuart-commits-to-lamar/

Don't think the sunbelt stuff is true, but who knows, maybe we're at least talking to them.

I would like to add that this recruit looks good. Glad to see us haul in a commit.

According to LU football commit Zach Stuart it's a done deal.

LINK: http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/oct/04/west-linebacker-zach-stuart-commits-to-lamar/

Don't think the sunbelt stuff is true, but who knows, maybe we're at least talking to them.

I would like to add that this recruit looks good. Glad to see us haul in a commit.

It's funny how the Triangle has beaucoup freak area athletes and LU finds a Honey Badger in Tennessee.

It really annoys me what the sunbelt board says about us. Most of it is completely untrue. And the hate people have for Beaumont, wow. People try to say that Huntsville is nicer than Beaumont, which is just ridiculous. Not that Huntsville is bad but come on (check stadium review, independent and scores Beaumont higher). They also say that SHSU is more ready to make the jump than us which is also completely ridiculous. They don't have a 13 to 14 mill athletic budget. Plus they would have trouble meeting title IX. They would have to start another sport. They are way beyond us in football but we are way ahead of SHSU in ability to move up. One of the posters keeps trying to say the SHSU is considered better than LU in Houston. This is totally untrue. Noone cares about either school in Houston cause they are not UT. We also had a UNT guy talk about us choosing to air the UT game over our game. This happens to UNT all the time in Dallas. I am not sure where he gets off trying to talk trash about that.

I really don't care if they don't want us or not. It is just the reasons that they claim they don't want us is what drives me nuts. Just because they are not even close to true. Like trying to claim that we have attendance as an issue. Even though we have lead the SLC in attendance in every sport for 10+ years.

ask those fools on that board if they can top this.got up this morning and surfed some clean,offshore waves.gonna go watch some of the best high school football in the country tonight and if i wasnt committed i could go see the los lonely boys at nutty's jerrys.saturday im gonna drive 10 minutes to watch my lamar cardinals and then take my wife to finch hutton's for dinner.sunday its church then hitting sabine lake to partake in some the finest saltwater fishing in the world.yeah se texas sucks.lets keep everybody thinking that so we keep it to ourselves.

Jack used to report for the bobcat report. He knows a lot of people and has a lot of connections. He is usually able to dig up information. He has also always been a big supporter of having Lamar follow them to the WAC and now the SBC. Jack does know Jack!!

He has been the first to break many of the conference expansion stories.

JD, you do realize that Lamar is the one adding a sport(Softball) not SH in order to be Title IX compiant. SH currently fields 9 Womens sports teams and with the addition of Softball LU only fields 8 so though you may think LU is high and mighty over SH we would not have any trouble being compiant nor would we be in need of adding an additional sport. The only area you are ahead of us is in quality of facilities and you have a budget thats bigger by a couple million dollars.

Guest NorthoftheBorder

JD, you do realize that Lamar is the one adding a sport(Softball) not SH in order to be Title IX compiant. SH currently fields 9 Womens sports teams and with the addition of Softball LU only fields 8 so though you may think LU is high and mighty over SH we would not have any trouble being compiant nor would we be in need of adding an additional sport. The only area you are ahead of us is in quality of facilities and you have a budget thats bigger by a couple million dollars.

I for one would love to see both LU & SHSU go to the Belt!!

I wouldn't be surprised if LU and SHSU make the FBS move together in the next couple of years. I think the SLC is adding 4 new schools (besides ORU) because they are expecting 2 schools to leave. When LU and SHSU leave then the SLC will be at a 12/9 setup with mostly smaller enrollment schools.

JD, you do realize that Lamar is the one adding a sport(Softball) not SH in order to be Title IX compliant. SH currently fields 9 Womens sports teams and with the addition of Softball LU only fields 8 so though you may think LU is high and mighty over SH we would not have any trouble being compliant nor would we be in need of adding an additional sport. The only area you are ahead of us is in quality of facilities and you have a budget thats bigger by a couple million dollars.

We would actually both be out of title IX compliance if we moved up. But from what I understood is that in SHSU study they did it would cost to much money to become title IX and that is why they were suggested to not move up (yet). I am just making an assumption on LU's part but I would think that with our facilities and deeper pockets it would be easier for us to comply with title IX. Someone on this board probably know better than both of us where we stand on title IX. I think most schools have to add scholarships when they move up a level to become title IX compliant.

This is pre softball at LU but at the time SHSU needed 1 sport to comply and LU needed 2. I think womens soccer and sofball might have gotten us there.

http://wasatchswagger.blogspot.com/2011/06/wac-expansion-updatejune-11-2011.html

Facilities is a huge obstacle for you guys. That is the main reason why I think LU is probably ahead of you on the list of expansion candidates. We have the facilities now and you guys need a few years to build them. I personally would like to see SHSU and LU move up next year (as would a lot of people on this site), but I think SHSU still has a few obstacles. LU just has a really bad coach. And by no means am I trying to belittle SHSU. I consider them a peer institution, I just think that we are ahead of you guys on the upgrading conference schedule. That is all.