Lamar football adds five transfers

AggiesAreWe

The 3 OL transfers average 6'3 298 lbs. They should provide immediate help. The 6 graduating OL averaged a little over 275 lbs. Next year the lightest player on the 2-deep will probably be Kyle Gillam at 270, everyone else should be at least 280.

The 2 DL transfers will help fill the void left by the graduation of John Prescott and Adren Dorsey.

Let me get this one straight. We got Oden from Arkansas when he got kicked out for DWI. We got sims after he stole from a teammate. I have deleted most of what I was going to say. I have to remember that these young men are kids. With that said, I hope LU works out for Mr. Anthony.

"I felt we needed some immediate help up front on both sides of the ball with some of the losses we had in our senior class," said Woodard about signing five linemen. "All five are good football players and will be good fits at Lamar University."

Needed some immediate help? Didn't he know these guys would be graduating this year and needed to be filled? I think that just shows the difficulty he has in transitioning from a JuCo coach to a 4-year coach. He forgets that he needs to reload for the future each year.

Let me get this one straight. We got Oden from Arkansas when he got kicked out for DWI. We got sims after he stole from a teammate. I have deleted most of what I was going to say. I have to remember that these young men are kids. With that said, I hope LU works out for Mr. Anthony.

I hope it does, too. Not sure how much this matters but Oden had multiple DWIs and well..Sims was a stone cold thief (stealing from a teammate is like stealing from a family member). Anthony had a simple possession charge and it wasn't even the reason he wasn't on the OSU team anymore. I have more concerns about his physical condition because of his past injuries than i do about his character.

Guest CardAmbassador

I was just very let down after last season so I'm not getting any hopes up for next season. I'll patiently wait until we actual show some progress in a game next year before I get too excited again. I thought we were going to be much different than we were this year. At least the defense took a step forward last year.

We need to turn this thing around next year. Year 4 is the, no excuses this is not a new program any more year. We need to be better.

"I felt we needed some immediate help up front on both sides of the ball with some of the losses we had in our senior class," said Woodard about signing five linemen. "All five are good football players and will be good fits at Lamar University."

Needed some immediate help? Didn't he know these guys would be graduating this year and needed to be filled? I think that just shows the difficulty he has in transitioning from a JuCo coach to a 4-year coach. He forgets that he needs to reload for the future each year.

You really think Woodard was caught by surprise that the seniors on the team were graduating? In 2011 the secondary was terrible so he signed 4 or 5 JUCO LBs and DBs and the secondary was a lot better. He knows the offensive and defensive lines need help so he's signed 5 guys that can provide immediate help. He's not rebuilding the whole team each year with JUCOs but filling in the gaps. I don't think that's unique at this level.

Also, next year's junior class was going to be the smallest of the 4 classes so bringing in these guys help balance out the classes. With roughly 15 or so scholarships left he'll sign mostly freshmen on Feb 1st so he's not loading up on JUCOs like he did when the program was started.

Guest CardAmbassador
The JUCO question is not the problem. K State uses alot of JUCO players, many major programs sign more than Lamar does. Our problems have been different each year. Many of our problems have been getting the right coordinators to coach the team.

Guest Cardinalrule

The 3 OL transfers average 6'3 298 lbs. They should provide immediate help. The 6 graduating OL averaged a little over 275 lbs. Next year the lightest player on the 2-deep will probably be Kyle Gillam at 270, everyone else should be at least 280.

The 2 DL transfers will help fill the void left by the graduation of John Prescott and Adren Dorsey.

And Gilliam is probably the best one so what is your point?

Guest Cardinalrule

Sorry JJ but this is a dumb post

And Gilliam is probably the best one so what is your point?

Wasn't everyone saying that our OL was too small? My point is Woodard went out and brought is some big OL who should be able to contribute right away. The best players will still be playing no matter their size, but having size and depth on the OL is what Lamar needs.

And next year, y'all will be the ones complaining when 2/5 quit the team. You do a complete 180 when you're wrong and act like you were never for it. 80% of the people on this site was playing Mr. Compassionate with Oden came along and preaching "let's give him a second chance." Same with sticky fingers from OSU, but now you're ready to throw him out with the trash.

All I'm saying is when you bring in FIVE JuCo transfers for the same area on the field, it means you did a crappy job recruiting. You should be able to look at your roster and say "hmmm... in a few years, we're going to need some OL players, better recruit them now. You should be wondering why he wasn't recruiting OL when he knew he needed to fill the gap.

And next year, y'all will be the ones complaining when 2/5 quit the team. You do a complete 180 when you're wrong and act like you were never for it. 80% of the people on this site was playing Mr. Compassionate with Oden came along and preaching "let's give him a second chance." Same with sticky fingers from OSU, but now you're ready to throw him out with the trash.

EXACTLY.

Apparently I'm a troll for saying the exact same things they do but only much earlier.

Guest Cardinalrule

We are the island of Misfit Toys!

We are the island of Misfit Toys!

It's always a party!

• 2 weeks later...
You might be getting a decent player in OSU transfer Gerron Anthony. I dont know alot about Anthony, but do know he was pretty well though of when recruited by OSU. Also, OSU is loaded on the offensive line and it was very difficult for players to break into the lineup from his class. He should have more than 2 years of elgibility and has at least been though the weight training and conditioning program and practiced with players at a high level.

We need to recruit big OL/DL guys and develop them. Lets these guys mold under these JUCO transfers so you dont have to waist money every year because your pushing the panic button bc you lack talent at a particular position. OL has been bad and QB play has been bad, so what is the soulution? Bring in competition. If a Freshman has to start then so be it. Best player plays. 4-8 with a bunch of JUCO players is not as promising because there is not future there. Look at Pat Knight, they may stink but they are building and molding a program that will be ready to compete in a yr or so. Ray Ray needs to get up to speed on how to build a program.

Cplatt

We need to recruit big OL/DL guys and develop them. Lets these guys mold under these JUCO transfers so you dont have to waist money every year because your pushing the panic button bc you lack talent at a particular position. OL has been bad and QB play has been bad, so what is the soulution? Bring in competition. If a Freshman has to start then so be it. Best player plays. 4-8 with a bunch of JUCO players is not as promising because there is not future there. Look at Pat Knight, they may stink but they are building and molding a program that will be ready to compete in a yr or so. Ray Ray needs to get up to speed on how to build a program.

Cplatt

"Ray Ray"...so sick of that disrespectful shit.

does anyone know if McCormack is enrolled or if he is still committed?...Rivals and 247sports still show him undecided

He did sign a LOI with Lamar but he may not graduate from Blinn until this spring. It would be nice if he could participate in the spring drills. I wonder if Woodard plans to move Gillam to guard so McCormack can start at center? Didn't Kelso start at center and Gillam at guard against ULL this past season?

does anyone know if McCormack is enrolled or if he is still committed?...Rivals and 247sports still show him undecided

He did sign a LOI with Lamar but he may not graduate from Blinn until this spring. It would be nice if he could participate in the spring drills. I wonder if Woodard plans to move Gillam to guard so McCormack can start at center? Didn't Kelso start at center and Gillam at guard against ULL this past season?

yes he did...was a short lived experience. and i do agree it would be nice to have all of our lineman than should see time this season here this spring so the coaching staff can try to organize things...sure a couple guys may be out of their regular positions