Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woodard adds another offensive lineman

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Woodard adds another offensive lineman

not being a smartass...but why not develop freshman OL...who did we recruit last 4 yrs for OL..where are they now? aside from Gillam..I know he's been here since freshman yr.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Re: Woodard adds another offensive lineman

[quote author=j.doza link=topic=37874.msg1#msg1 date=1357162794]
    at this level of football freshman will play a key role in the teams success. Lamar being an upstart program it has to bring in juco players who can fill the void left by the graduating seniors. If you have noticed from year one to this year there has been less juco players. and if you take an even closer look you will see that the line was the most pressing of the teams needs. On defense you are losing both of the DTs there are 2 OLBs who graduated and 2 DBs, the most pressing of those is the DTs because they wouldn't be able to get through spring without any DTs. ON the offensive side of the ball the WRs came up big and most of the WRs will be seniors so after next year expect some Juco WR to come. The TEs are all coming back and there will be one senior among the group. There was 1 RB who graduated but there are 2 solid freshman that are still on the team. The o-line is the position that needed to be addressed that was the position that graduated people and bringing in high school players to address that need is something that is not very smart. Those freshman will not be ready to compete for at least a year at the earliest( and that is being highly optimistic). Bring in the juco transfers and the FBS transfer will help the Lamar Cardinals improve. I believe that this year they will make big strides and push for the conference title. The defense will continue to improve and the offense will get a solid spring in that will springboard them into a solid season. the preseason schedule will help them get ready for a tough conference schedule having to go to Sam will be tough but SFA is coming to LU along with UCA and NWST. The new coaches at Lamar will get these players motivated and I believe you will see the best Lamar Cardinal season to date.
    And JJwooten you to talk a lot of crap on here but i bet if you strapped it up and went and tried top play with the football team you would re-think a lot of this ish that you post
    [/quote]

Finally...someone that gets "it". Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Re: Woodard adds another offensive lineman

[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=37874.msg1#msg1 date=1357165723]
    not being a smartass...but why not develop freshman OL...who did we recruit last 4 yrs for OL..where are they now? aside from Gillam..I know he's been here since freshman yr.
    [/quote]

I think we could and are developing freshman OL but how much longer would that prolong adding wins to our record? How much more patient would you (meaning fans) be willing to be? Kind of a double-edged sword...

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Woodard adds another offensive lineman

HS Players on the team since 2010:

Marshall Fairchild was a walk-on in 2010. Kyle Gillam has been starting since 2010. Ian Kelso was suppose to redshirt in 2010 but he was forced to play on the DL in 2010, then redshirted in 2011. Babin started 8 games in 2010 as a freshmen then was a backup in 2011. Emone Bailey had a lot of starts in 2010 and 2011 before flunking out of school.

These are the mainstays with JUCOs filling the gaps. This year Woodard started the game with 4 HS players on the OL (Babin, Brock, Gillam, and Kelso), but by year's end Collins and Robertson and replaced a few in the starting OL.