Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kevin Johnson off the Team?

bossman73

Re: Kevin Johnson off the Team?

WE BETTER BULK UP OR HAVE A SUCKY SEASON AGAIN!! MY SON BETTER BE LIFTING 500 LBS OR BETTER OR I WILL BE PISSED!! P.S. YOU WONT LIKE ME WHEN IN ANGRY!!

BigRed2010

[quote author=jlh link=topic=37969.msg48619#msg48619 date=1359839324]
    It sounds that KJ is expressing dissatisfaction with the speed and agility training being utilized within the offseason program. It is easy to be upset when the coaches are working your butt off. A "stupid" off season program??? I am not so sure. KJ indicated that the lineman are losing weight? Sometimes lineman need to lose weight. I heard that Chris Mayer weighed in at 390 lbs. I think that speed is more important than bench press anyway. Given equal size and technique, its the quickest guy off the ball who wins the battle in the trenches not the strongest guy. Of course strength is important, but speed, quickness and athleticism are more important. So, if the coaches are trying to make them faster and then stronger...I agree with them.
    [/quote]
    +1

jlh

[quote author=bossman73 link=topic=37969.msg48624#msg48624 date=1359844299]
    WE BETTER BULK UP OR HAVE A SUCKY SEASON AGAIN!! MY SON BETTER BE LIFTING 500 LBS OR BETTER OR I WILL BE PISSED!! P.S. YOU WONT LIKE ME WHEN IN ANGRY!!
    [/quote]

Understood. I like the Incredible Hulk reference. That is pretty funny in a "scary" sort of way.
    I certainly hope your boy gets to 500 lbs. That would be awesome! KJ is one of the best players on the team and if his attitude stinks it will spread if it hasnt already. The coaches will be here for two more years, so it would be in his best interests to do the best he can with a good attitude.

LU 17

Let's remember that squat strength is as important as bench strength. With players able to use their hands on D lineman, both are important. Size is also important. If we have lineman that have fattened up to 390, that's not what anybody is talking about. But a 240 pound lineman that runs a 4.8 is of no use on the O line. He will get bullied by a decent D line. Why not get strong in the off season and maintain this strength during the fall. Let's get into shape in the fall when our speed is needed.

jlh

Squat is as important as bench and probably more important. Now is definitely the time to be getting bigger, but the way to do that is to eat, eat, and eat along with a strength and conditioning program. If the coaches are running you, then calories need to be increased. Caloric intake has to be greater than calories burned. pretty simple.

240 lbs and runs a 4.8 sounds like a middle linebacker to me and not a lineman. the forty yard dash isnt the most telling speed statistic for lineman. it is the shuttle time. which shows how quick and mobile the lineman is.... It would stand to reason that decreasing the current 275 or 300 lb linemans shuttle time by 1/10 or 2/10 of a second could make all the difference in the world.

jlh

KJ is suspended for violation of team rules per the Beaumont Enterprise. Article states that he will have an opportunity to return to the team.

Cardinalrule

[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=37969.msg48622#msg48622 date=1359841736]
    I'd rather have a 270# strong dude than a 350# tub of goo
    [/quote]

Ditto. Everyone keeps talking about weight weight weight. If you suck at 260, odds are you are still going to suck at 310. If guys 'aren't muscular" it sounds like to me they are lazy asses. Bulking up just takes a lot of hard work.