Thread: WKU Out in 2014, Lamar In...the Conversation

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

WKU Out in 2014, Lamar In...the Conversation

SunBelt Conference Presidents met today at the BB Tourney in Hot Springs (Ugh, glad this is moving to New Orleans next year).

Here is what I know: AppState and GaSouthern are in and may officially be announced as early as Monday, some have said maybe even during ESPN's coverage of the Tournament final?

Also, WKU announced that they are moving on - their is some speculation it will be with MTSU however, I have heard they might be going to the MAC. With departure of MTSU, they fit better geographically with the MAC than that crazy CUSA. CUSA stretches from Miami to El Paso to Huntingdon, WV to Norfolk, VA - makes no sense.

I know that the idea adding Idaho was met with a resounding thud. NMSU has too many negatives - outside of geographic footprint and football has been historically horrid. There is no chance that any of the existing SBC schools are excited about an NMSU bid.

So here are the schools that are in the mix and in no particular order:

Missouri State: They are on the fence about making the move up; would be a nice addition for ArkState.
    Lamar: As I thought, Lamar has discussed moving up with both Benson and Hawkins. I know for fact Jack Hawkins is a "Yes". Impressed with all sports and academics at Lamar. Would be a lock if they hadn't dropped football and then restarted shortly afterwards.

Both of these schools would have a little time before joining the conference, because WKU won't leave until 2014.

Jacksonville State: They want in, Jack Hawkins will not let them get a sniff.

Any talk about James Madison and Delaware joining is just talk.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: WKU Out in 2014, Lamar In...the Conversation

I've been reading the Sun Belt message board and there's several threads saying that the western schools are dead set on NOT inviting any SLC schools. One thread said that SHSU was brought up which really angered several ADs (presumably those at ASU and ULL). NMSU seems to be the western school that may get the invite along with App State and Georgia Southern. This is reminding me of the WAC right before it fell apart.

NorthoftheBorder

Who is Jack Hawkins?

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I've pretty much decided that while conference realignment can be good and exciting I won't take to much into what other people say until it is official.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=38076.msg49624#msg49624 date=1362940798]
    Who is Jack Hawkins?
    [/quote]

He's the Chancellor of Troy University.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=coachacola link=topic=38076.msg49627#msg49627 date=1362944742]
    [quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=38076.msg49624#msg49624 date=1362940798]
    Who is Jack Hawkins?
    [/quote]

He's the Chancellor of Troy University.
    [/quote]

And Chairman of the SunBelt Presidents.

And if WKU is leaving they need two western schools. My feeling is that Missouri State located in Springfield and Lamar in Beaumont, even as FCS schools far out-weigh NMSU. And UL doesn't have much sway - they have a nice following, but it's leadership isn't very dynamic. Their facilities are dated and awful! Even the Cajundome is starting to show its age.

ArkState on the other hand is pretty strong and they probably would like Missouri State because of it's location.

NorthoftheBorder

I would hope ULL would be in Lamar's corner!!

kakat10

WKU Out in 2014, Lamar In...the Conversation

The board I sniffed around at and a similar post about SLC schools joining the Belt wasn't just about SH. A few fans of a few former SLC schools made it sound like their AD's wouldn't take a current SLC member. They made it sound like they would block any move attempted by SH or Lamar. Their reason was they left the SLC to get away from us back in the day and want to continue to separate themselves.

This coming from a fan has about as much weight as, well, you know

NorthoftheBorder

We are all high and mighty about our almer mater's and look down on everyone else. Human nature!

Crawfish

From everything I have heard, the information is the post that started this thread is almost 100% incorrect. The version I heard is completely different, but who know...

I am just saying that I would take anything that is said by me or anyone else as strickly rumor.

Here is what I have heard (for what it is worth);

Troy and other eastern members are pushing for 3 Eastern schools; ASU, GSU and one more (either Liberty or perhaps JSU). This did not set well with western schools including UL, ULM, ASU and TSU. Several members like WKU, UL, ASU and WKU support helping out NMSU because they helped get the football league started and they would not have to be a start up. This angered the eastern members who for whatever reason, suggested adding Sam Houston (who may not even want SBC membership?) I did hear that the western schools did not want to add Southland schools.

Crawfish

This statement is uninformed in many way:

1. Missouri State is not even in the conversation at this time. While Missouri State would be a good add, there is no evidence that they have even expressed an interest in joining the SBC.
    2. UL is a charter meber of the SBC Football league and holds at least the same amount of clout as any other team in the league.
    3. UL is aligned with Arkansas State on most issues and in fact generally vote together.
    4. The facilities at UL are certainly not awful. for example, UL has one of the only full size indoor football training facilties in the SBC, a new softball stadium (one of nicest in the south) the Cajun Dome which was recently renovated) and a very nice baseball park. The football stadium is about to be renovated to the tune of about 120M. UL set the record for attendence at the New Orleans Bowl 2 years in a row. UL leads or is 2nd the conference in attendence in almost every sport, so to say they have alomst no sway is rediculous.

Sunbelt City stated:

"And if WKU is leaving they need two western schools. My feeling is that Missouri State located in Springfield and Lamar in Beaumont, even as FCS schools far out-weigh NMSU. And UL doesn't have much sway - they have a nice following, but it's leadership isn't very dynamic. Their facilities are dated and awful! Even the Cajundome is starting to show its age.

ArkState on the other hand is pretty strong and they probably would like Missouri State because of it's location"

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=Crawfish link=topic=38076.msg49638#msg49638 date=1363022764]
    This statement is uninformed in many way:

1. Missouri State is not even in the conversation at this time. While Missouri State would be a good add, there is no evidence that they have even expressed an interest in joining the SBC. Look at their message boards. There is plenty of discussion.
    2. UL is a charter meber of the SBC Football league and holds at least the same amount of clout as any other team in the league.
    3. UL is aligned with Arkansas State on most issues and in fact generally vote together.
    4. The facilities at UL are certainly not awful. for example, UL has one of the only full size indoor football training facilties in the SBC, a new softball stadium (one of nicest in the south) the Cajun Dome which was recently renovated) and a very nice baseball park. The football stadium is about to be renovated to the tune of about 120MULL has talked about a $125 million renovation for the last decade.UL set the record for attendence at the New Orleans Bowl 2 years in a rowHaving ULL at the New Orleans Bowl was a no-brainer, fan support is there.. UL leads or is 2nd the conference in attendence in almost every sport, so to say they have alomst no sway is rediculousWEAK Leadership.

Sunbelt City stated:

"And if WKU is leaving they need two western schools. My feeling is that Missouri State located in Springfield and Lamar in Beaumont, even as FCS schools far out-weigh NMSU. And UL doesn't have much sway - they have a nice following, but it's leadership isn't very dynamic. Their facilities are dated and awful! Even the Cajundome is starting to show its age.

ArkState on the other hand is pretty strong and they probably would like Missouri State because of it's location"
    [/quote]

Your theory on the Eastern half of the Belt wanting more eastern teams is not valid. AppState will be the furthest east the SunBelt goes. Jack Hawkins and the Commish both preach "Geographical Footprint". JMU and Liberty are well outside of that. NMSU is too and is such a basket case in football, it's just too tough to stomach having them in the conference. ArkState is not aligned with anyone other than ArkState. The inclusion of Missouri State is a natural fit for them.

SMHU didn't really show up in Frisco the last two seasons either which will hurt and Beaumont outweighs Huntsville. My opinion is based on what I have heard through Troy officials. Opinions are just that and no decisions are going to be made based on what theyh read here.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Has anyone heard any more rumors. I don't see how LU is not at very least on the short list.