Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Houston Astros Regular Season Thread

eagle eye

Re: Houston Astros Regular Season Thread

Thanks Big T and +1

eagle eye

Top 8th - Eric Bedard is looking great. He records his second 1-2-3 inning retiring Andrus who grounds out (Dominguez to Wallace - nice play on both ends) a K of Berkman on a wicked curve ball and a pop out to SS Cedeno by Beltre. No runs scored.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Is it just me, or does this look like a really good MLB team tonight?! The Stros are playong out of their minds tonight! Just three more outs Cmon Stros!!! This team is playing with a fire that we have not seen for three years.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust 'em.

Jim Valvano

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

WHAT A PLAY BY JMAX!!!! Wow that was impressive.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust 'em.

Jim Valvano

eagle eye

Bottom 8th - Pitching change Jose Ortiz comes in for Frasor. Carlos Pena called out on strikes. He had to be fooled by the pitch because it was belt high over the plate and he just watched it. Justin Maxwell took a 92 mph fastball on the inside of the plate on a beautiful inside-out swing and he put the ball deep in the right field corner for his 2nd stand up triple of the game. Castro grounded out to 2B. Matt Dominguez singled up the middle. He got a break because he hit the ball right up the middle and P Ortiz reacted quickly enough to slow the ball rather than field it. It slow rolled to the 2B bag area where 2B Kinsler misplayed the ball trying to bare hand it. Ruled a hit and an RBI for Dominguez. Brandon Barnes struck out to end the inning.
    Rangers 2 Astros 8

Jason Frasor's line 1 inning pitched with no runs, no hits, no walks and 1 K.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Victory is sweet!!! the Astros are in first place all alone and the Rangers are in last place! LOL

Jim Valvano

eagle eye

Top 9th - Eric Bedard is finishing the game and he's looked great. (No 5 starter my ass) First batter is Murphy who flies out to center. Next was Cruz to got a broken bat single to right. Next up was Pierzynski sent a fly ball deep to right-center and a blue star special catch by Justin Maxwell who caught it by the fence to the visitor's bullpen. Beautiful catch! Third out was a ground out by Mitch Moreland - Altuve to Wallace. Game Over!

ASTROS WIN 8 -2!!!

Eric Bedard's line - Bedard got a much earned save going 3 1/3 innings giving up 0 runs on 1 lone hit with 2 K's and no walks.

Helluva pitching job by Norris and Bedard. It looked like Norris got tired in the 6th. Understandable this early in the season. He had to battle in the first couple of innings which ran his pitch count up. No worries, mate. Nice job in his first start of the season. Bedard was dominant. The player of the game had to be Justin Maxwell. With two sparkling plays in center field and the job he did with his bat he was clearly the difference in the game for the Astros. He went 2-3 with 2 RBI's and 2 runs scored with a walk and no K's. Two of the three hits were triples. It was a nice start to the season for Houston. Jason Castro and Chris Carter both went 0-4. Carter had 2 K's and Castro 1 K. All in all it was a great start for Houston.
    Late Note: Emergency medical services have been called to the Rangers locker room to remote Astros feet from Rangers asses!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

HAHAHA! The Rangers looked like an old worn out team tonight. Makes you wonder a bit just how they are gonna look the rest of the year. I honestly think that they expected to come in to MMP and stomp all over the Stros and were suprised when the Stros not only did not lay down and let them win but kicked their asses from start to finish.

Jim Valvano

eagle eye

Tomorrow the Astros face off against the Rangers in game 2 of the 2013 season. The Astros send a guy who I thought was their best pitcher in 2012, Lucas Harrell to the hill. The Rangers 2nd year phenom from Japan, Yu Darvish goes to the mound to face the Astros suddenly powerful lineup. Darvish had a spotty season due to injuries that nagged him all year. When he's healthy though, Darvish is pretty darn good. Hopefully, Houston keeps the hit parade going. The Achilles heel for the Rangers is their pitching right now because they have so many of their best on the DL. If Houston can get to Darvish I really like the Astros chances of winning the game and the series tomorrow night.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

As I'm out of the area, I don't get the Astros games on TV. This year, as in past years, I make the deal with myself that I'm willing to subscribe to MLB.TV if the Astros are at least .500.

This year, if they make 20 wins before 20 losses, I'll consider it a success.

My only big negative on the AL move is that my local tickets have become much more expensive -- I'd go and spring for some of the best seats in the house at the NL team when the Astros came to town. Now, that barely gets me in the AL ballpark....

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Perfect game through 8 for Yu. God this is terrible. Please not two years in a row.

Jim Valvano

eagle eye

Don't worry Big T, there is a God and he was looking down on Houston last night. Marwin Gonzalez slapped a 2-out base hit in the bottom of the ninth to spoil the perfect game for Yu Darvish. Darvish was outstanding last night and he kept his foot on the Astros throat all game. He even started the ninth like the perfecto was never in doubt retiring Jason Castro and Carlos Corporan on only three pitches. Gonzalez said he came to the plate just thinking he didn't want to be the last out. The first pitch Darvish threw to Gonzalez was a fastball on the outer part of the plate that Gonzalez stroked right back up the middle into center field. As Big T alluded to, the Astros were one out away from suffering a perfect game being tossed at them for the second time in two years. Last year you guys may remember the perfect game the San Francisco Giants Matt Cain threw. It may have been the lowest point of a very low season for Houston. Thank goodness Houston avoided this latest slap in the face last night.
    Darvish's performance last night overshadowed a really nice outing by Houston's starter Lucas Harrell. Harrell pretty much cruised through his six innings of work except for the third inning when he got into a full blown one out bases loaded jam. Harrell did a great job of escaping allowing only one run on a Lance Berkman single. The rest of the pitching staff after Harrell didn't fare nearly as well. Only Josh Fields did not surrender a run facing only one batter and retiring him with a strike out. Xavier Cedeno gave up one run in 1/3 of an inning, Rhiner Cruz gave up 2 runs in 2/3 of an inning, Wesley Wright gave up 2 runs in 2/3 of an inning of work followed by Fields and Astros closer Jose Veras pitched the ninth giving up 2 more runs on two hits and a walk with three K's. Feast or famine with Veras in his inning of work leaving the final score Rangers 7 and the Astros 0.

Up next an afternoon game at Minute Maid Park with the Astros Phillip Humber taking the hill against Alexi Ogando and the Rangers at 2:10 pm. Humber will be looking to lead the Astros to a series win against the Rangers.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Re: Houston Astros Regular Season Thread

[quote author=Big T link=topic=38109.msg1#msg1 date=1364957105]
    Perfect game through 8 for Yu. God this is terrible. Please not two years in a row.
    [/quote]

I don't blame you but Darvish is no slouch.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I'll dare to say that Darvish last night was more dominant than Cain was against the Stros last year. That was one hell of a pitching performance. Now Stros show them whos boss and win the series today!

Jim Valvano

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Another shut out loss for the Stros today. Not looking good guys.

Jim Valvano