Provost Umphrey Stadium

coachacola

Man, im pumped for the season. I would love to see the stadium full and the grass full and people standing. Beaumont is a football area so if this team comes out fighting, we will pack the PUS. I love those pics, I have not been to a game yet because I live a ways away but the stadium looks real nice. How is the game day experience?

Cplatt

Man, im pumped for the season. I would love to see the stadium full and the grass full and people standing. Beaumont is a football area so if this team comes out fighting, we will pack the PUS. I love those pics, I have not been to a game yet because I live a ways away but the stadium looks real nice. How is the game day experience?

Cplatt

Wife and I have been driving over from Houston the last two years and are looking forward to this season. The stadium is nice. The renovations really improved it from what we had in the '70's and '80's. During the 20 years without football, we went to A&M games (had season tickets for 16 of those years). Although Kyle Field is a lot larger, the PUS facilities are more up to date and nicer...at least when comparing our seats in the two stadiums. After A&M's renovation, that will probably change, but we've had the benefit of three seasons so far since our renovations. The video board is a nice upgrade. Our seats are up high on around the 25 yard line so we don't always get a good look at some of the plays on the Montagne Center side of the field. The scoreboard takes care of that via replays. I miss Reddy Kilowatt on the old board a little, but not much. :) Concessions are nice. I like to load up on all the junk food I'm not supposed to have. I grab my big Coke, popcorn, and peanuts and munch and drink while cheering the Cardinals on.

We've had some pretty good crowds and honestly, some games with a lot of no shows. Games are a lot more fun with fans in the stadium so I'm hoping we have good crowds this year. Year before last almost all the games were night games. Last year, the Cardinals experimented with day games. I think the day games may have impacted attendance. I remember a lot of comments on BRI last year about conflicts with the football game and soccer matches for the kids. We're back to night games this year. I prefer night games so I'm glad for the change back.

It's not just the game. It's the pre-game also. We missed the first season back because of conflicts, but year before last, tailgating was very active...lots of people having a good time before the game. There were bands playing and a lot of music to accompany the good food. The tailgating wasn't as active last year. I think the drop off was due in part to the early kickoffs. Don't know if it will continue this year, but the last couple of years, there has been a fun zone set up for the kids. Makes for a good family environment. The games are a good way to have a family outing. First year, there were fireworks at halftime. Last year, there were fireworks, but they were after the game. Hope we have them again this year. My wife and I enjoy the halftime also. We haven't been disappointed. I like just about any kind of music from classical to country to rock to jazz to some hip-hop so it's hard to play something that I wouldn't like.

It's nice being back on campus plus the games give me an extra reason to make the trip over to Beaumont to visit relatives and see the Cardinals. Looking forward to this season.

Guest CardAmbassador
Hope I'll be able to make a game this year. plan on flying back to Texas for Christmas and Thanksgiving but that is after football season (but basketball will be up by then). I'll keep my eyes out for some cheap weekend tixs though.

I am only 2 hours away so plan on making at least 1 or 2 games. I am very optimistic about the season. I think each recruiting class building a strong foundation. If we can be competitive in LA Tech and OKST then we might build a 2014 class. Also packing the house will def build a home field advantage. Sell out = Money which= more money games which=expansion + winning. Lamar has a great formula to build a great program, gotta start winning.

Cplatt

Guest Cardinalrule

Cplatt

Wife and I have been driving over from Houston the last two years and are looking forward to this season. The stadium is nice. The renovations really improved it from what we had in the '70's and '80's. During the 20 years without football, we went to A&M games (had season tickets for 16 of those years). Although Kyle Field is a lot larger, the PUS facilities are more up to date and nicer...at least when comparing our seats in the two stadiums. After A&M's renovation, that will probably change, but we've had the benefit of three seasons so far since our renovations. The video board is a nice upgrade. Our seats are up high on around the 25 yard line so we don't always get a good look at some of the plays on the Montagne Center side of the field. The scoreboard takes care of that via replays. I miss Reddy Kilowatt on the old board a little, but not much. :) Concessions are nice. I like to load up on all the junk food I'm not supposed to have. I grab my big Coke, popcorn, and peanuts and munch and drink while cheering the Cardinals on.

We've had some pretty good crowds and honestly, some games with a lot of no shows. Games are a lot more fun with fans in the stadium so I'm hoping we have good crowds this year. Year before last almost all the games were night games. Last year, the Cardinals experimented with day games. I think the day games may have impacted attendance. I remember a lot of comments on BRI last year about conflicts with the football game and soccer matches for the kids. We're back to night games this year. I prefer night games so I'm glad for the change back.

It's not just the game. It's the pre-game also. We missed the first season back because of conflicts, but year before last, tailgating was very active...lots of people having a good time before the game. There were bands playing and a lot of music to accompany the good food. The tailgating wasn't as active last year. I think the drop off was due in part to the early kickoffs. Don't know if it will continue this year, but the last couple of years, there has been a fun zone set up for the kids. Makes for a good family environment. The games are a good way to have a family outing. First year, there were fireworks at halftime. Last year, there were fireworks, but they were after the game. Hope we have them again this year. My wife and I enjoy the halftime also. We haven't been disappointed. I like just about any kind of music from classical to country to rock to jazz to some hip-hop so it's hard to play something that I wouldn't like.

It's nice being back on campus plus the games give me an extra reason to make the trip over to Beaumont to visit relatives and see the Cardinals. Looking forward to this season.

. I am stoked!! I agree, looking forward to more night games again. I prefer halftime fireworks. And please NO rap music...at least not the inappropriate stuff!!!!

We drove over to Beaumont yesterday to visit with relatives. Today I drove my mother and sister around town to get them out of the house for a while and for me to check on changes. Part of the drive, we checked out the campus including Provost Umphrey Stadium, the Dauphin Athletic Complex.

Looking good! I'm ready for the season to start.

Sent from my Android device using Tapatalk 2

• 1 year later...

Any updates on season ticket sales? I figured they might be sold at a good rate considering we got a good core group of returners on offense coming back. I know we are picked 6th but we usually finish in the top half of SLC in attendance dont we? Could be mistaken, also what is our pay out up to so far for 2014 as for as money games we scheduled? Im not in the area so im out of loop on some stuff. Also they talking any upgrades to stadium in coming years, if so whats the plan. I havent seen an recent up to date Master Plan for expenditures but that also could change if you fill seats and compete for the top half of conference. Anybody close to the athletic department fill me in on athletic funds etc besides softball stadium which by the way looks pretty damn nice on paper.

Thanks guys

Cplatt

Any updates on season ticket sales? I figured they might be sold at a good rate considering we got a good core group of returners on offense coming back. I know we are picked 6th but we usually finish in the top half of SLC in attendance dont we? Could be mistaken, also what is our pay out up to so far for 2014 as for as money games we scheduled? Im not in the area so im out of loop on some stuff. Also they talking any upgrades to stadium in coming years, if so whats the plan. I havent seen an recent up to date Master Plan for expenditures but that also could change if you fill seats and compete for the top half of conference. Anybody close to the athletic department fill me in on athletic funds etc besides softball stadium which by the way looks pretty damn nice on paper.

Thanks guys

Cplatt

I know of at least 2 seats taken. :)

As far as the game in College Station, the payout is $350,000 according to the linked April, 2010 Beaumont Enterprise article.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/article/Lamar-football-to-play-at-Hawaii-OK-St-A-M-730481.php

Wish there was a setup at the stadium where if you are in a Camper of some sort you can stay overnight. I know they do that at other places.

That would be nice!

Looks like the following SLC universities allow RV's

Southeastern Louisiana http://www.lionsports.net/sports/2012/10/15/BSB_1015120036.aspx?path=football&tab=4

McNeese State - RVs and Campers allowed in parking spaces.http://mcneesesports.com/documents/2014/7/22/2014_TAILGATING_MEMO.pdf?

Here are some of the others (quick look)

Central Arkansas - No

Northwestern State - Didn't find anything specific to on campus

Nicholls State - similar to ours???

Stephen F Austin - More restrictive than ours - no sound equipment

Sam Houston - Similar to ours

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know how season tickets are doing overall, but my in-laws got some to be able to have priority for the A&M game which should be fun despite what the outcome will be. Also, my wife is in the band which has a new director this year. Between him and the new president of Lamar there are a lot of good ideas going around as to getting more people at and involved in the games... it starts with the students. Hopefully we start off strong and get some better turn outs this year.

We, the students, are also coming up with some plans to get more students out to the games. We are expanding a lot of the student tailgate area to include more games, more food, etc. We are starting a rivalry in between the fraternities and sororities to see which can get more people into PUS with a prize for the winning Fraternity and the winning Sorority. We are also going to have a booth set up outside the Set all week during game weeks and remind everyone to go get their tickets.

The more students the better. They need to give us old fuddy duddies a little more energy. :) My wife, uncle and I started out in one of the "old elephant" sections (former student side) when we had A&M season tickets. After one or two seasons, we requested seats in one of the sections adjacent to student sections to be in the middle of a lot more energy. It makes the game a lot more of an event to get people out of the seats. I really think the students can lead by example if they show up in large enough numbers. If they do, they could help make PUS a vibrant place that might inspire some others to go to the games.

(We switched over to Lamar season tickets when football came back. My uncle is no longer with us, but my wife and I are looking forward to this season.)

Edited by LUSportsFan