2014 Football Schedule

coachacola

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I'm in the "minimize scheduling sub DI teams" camp, it might make sense to make an exception and try to schedule a home game with NCAA DII East Central University out of Ada, OK for a home game next year; particularly if we are going to have ANY sub DI programs on next year's schedule.

Next season marks the 50th anniversary for Provost Umphrey (then Cardinal Stadium). East Central and Lamar played the inaugural game on 9/19/1964. With Grambling scheduled as the opening home game, that's out, but there are still some dates available.

An alternative might be to try to slot ECU in on 9/20, 50 years and one day after the stadium's opening contest.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have the new SLC division break down?...I've seen it I thought but can't find anything

I don't think there will be a division breakdown unless things have changed since last February. Below is a link from Southland.org discussing the conference competition changes.

In football, the 2013 schedule does not include any additions, as the athletic directors approved that slate in April 2011. Abilene Christian, Houston Baptist and Incarnate Word will make their Southland football debuts in the 2014 football season. That's when the 11 sponsoring teams will begin playing eight conference games, randomly missing two league opponents in the regular season. Then, in 2015, 10 of the 11 teams will play a ninth league contest, missing a single opponent. Houston Baptist, which is just beginning a Division I football program, will continue to play eight conference games and miss two opponents, at least through the 2016 season.

http://www.southland.org/news/2013/2/7/GEN_5672.aspx?path=general

For example, I recall from another thread that SFA will not be on our conference football schedule for four years. Looked it up. Comment was on 9/23/2013 Red Zone Sports Talk Show Pod Cast thread under the BRI Radio tab.

2014 schedule----

Week 1---Grambling

Week 2---At Texas A&M

Week 3 or 4---TBD (Either Week 3 or 4 will be a BYE Week)

Week 5-12 SLC Conference Games

Lamar will not play SFA the next 4 seasons in Football.

This was all verified by Coach Ray Woodard on the Red Zone Sports Talk Show tonight.

Does anyone have the new SLC division break down?...I've seen it I thought but can't find anything

I don't think there will be a division breakdown unless things have changed since last February. Below is a link from Southland.org discussing the conference competition changes.

In football, the 2013 schedule does not include any additions, as the athletic directors approved that slate in April 2011. Abilene Christian, Houston Baptist and Incarnate Word will make their Southland football debuts in the 2014 football season. That's when the 11 sponsoring teams will begin playing eight conference games, randomly missing two league opponents in the regular season. Then, in 2015, 10 of the 11 teams will play a ninth league contest, missing a single opponent. Houston Baptist, which is just beginning a Division I football program, will continue to play eight conference games and miss two opponents, at least through the 2016 season.

http://www.southland.org/news/2013/2/7/GEN_5672.aspx?path=general

For example, I recall from another thread that SFA will not be on our conference football schedule for four years. Looked it up. Comment was on 9/23/2013 Red Zone Sports Talk Show Pod Cast thread under the BRI Radio tab.

2014 schedule----

Week 1---Grambling

Week 2---At Texas A&M

Week 3 or 4---TBD (Either Week 3 or 4 will be a BYE Week)

Week 5-12 SLC Conference Games

Lamar will not play SFA the next 4 seasons in Football.

This was all verified by Coach Ray Woodard on the Red Zone Sports Talk Show tonight.

Ok that's where I heard it...couldn't find it cause I had heard it. I guess I took the comment about not playing SFA for 4 years a would be 2nd division

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was trying to back into the 10/25 date for the McNeese game by eliminating their knowns. Decided I was too lazy to do the back in search. Guess I'll just wait until our schedule is released.

In response to an inquiry I sent last week on another matter, I did hear from one of the AD folks that the mailings for last year's season ticket holders should be mailed the end of this week. I'm hoping any finalization of the schedule doesn't delay the mailing. There have been a lot of programs that have been selling season tickets for a month or so.

I really hope there is a big push this year to get people out. Games are a lot more fun with a lot of fans in the stadium.