Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ask the Expert: Sam Houston State

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Ask the Expert: Sam Houston State

[quote author=kakat10 link=topic=38614.msg53972#msg53972 date=1381278741]
    [quote author=LUSportsFan link=topic=38614.msg53946#msg53946 date=1381259339]
    How do you compare this year's Bearkat team with the SHSU FCS National Championship Finalist teams of the last two years?

Where has the team improved vs those teams? Has there been any fall-off from those teams?
    [/quote]

This years Bearkat squad has the most powerful offense in school history. There is no question about that to me. The offense is like the 2011 squad before teams cracked the wild Bearkat code. We can score on any play with the playmakers on this team. However, the defensive squad is suspect at times and may be our weakest of the recent years in some aspects.

This team has improved on the DL and OL. The OL was a question coming in to this season losing some key guys. So far the young OL has opened plenty of holes and protected Bell well. They are my suprise of the season so far. This Bearkat squad has the best chance to bring the title to Huntsville of the past teams.
    [/quote]

Defense will be fine. Kats have a new D-Coordinator this year so it has taken some time to adjust. I think back last year when the Kat O had Doug Ruse as first year coordinator. It took about 5 or 6 games to get it rolling of which they did in a big way and ended up back in Frisco. Dont give up on this defense just yet. I see flashes of dominance. Just need it more consistent.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=sportfishin link=topic=38614.msg54034#msg54034 date=1381513223]
    [quote author=kakat10 link=topic=38614.msg53971#msg53971 date=1381278411]
    [quote author=LUFAN link=topic=38614.msg53937#msg53937 date=1381253757]
    How much longer do you expect Fritz to stay @ SHSU??
    [/quote]

Great question! Fritz is rooted in the Huntsville community and genuinely enjoys being at SHSU. The success in the past years has scored Fritz a substantial pay raise and the SH AD also gave his assistant coaches a nice raise as well. New positions have been created just for the football program and we are finally where we need to be. I think Fritz will be at SH for at least two more years. The SH AD has said before that we will be competitive with lower FBS programs and do whatever we can to keep him around. Luckily for Sam Houston, Fritz has a record of stability, that said money talks to everyone.

We shall see...
    [/quote]

His record of stability is what keeps him at SHSU for many years in my opinion. He spent 13 years at DII Central Missouri and I think Sam Houston was always on his radar of wanting to come back to Texas. His close relationship with former long time head coach Ron Randleman and Bobby Williams gives him a comfort zone. And not to forget, only a short drive to Houston, a recruting hot bed. Just because there is a bigger program and more money available down the road doesnt always mean it is the best scenario to move. My gut feeling tells me that Fritz will be the coach to lead SHSU into FBS football if SHSU decides to make that move. (which i hope they dont)
    [/quote]

You laid out the classic argument for a small successful school with a really good head coach, and I like you would hope that it would work that way. But I, like your counterpart kakat10 know all too well if a school in a top 4 or 5 conference comes calling with a 7 figure salary, there is almost no chance he stays at SHSU! Enjoy, you guys picked a winner (unlike we did here). I remember Billy Tubbs all too well and miss the excitement a small school can make on the big stage!!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=38614.msg54037#msg54037 date=1381514179]
    [quote author=sportfishin link=topic=38614.msg54034#msg54034 date=1381513223]
    [quote author=kakat10 link=topic=38614.msg53971#msg53971 date=1381278411]
    [quote author=LUFAN link=topic=38614.msg53937#msg53937 date=1381253757]
    How much longer do you expect Fritz to stay @ SHSU??
    [/quote]

Great question! Fritz is rooted in the Huntsville community and genuinely enjoys being at SHSU. The success in the past years has scored Fritz a substantial pay raise and the SH AD also gave his assistant coaches a nice raise as well. New positions have been created just for the football program and we are finally where we need to be. I think Fritz will be at SH for at least two more years. The SH AD has said before that we will be competitive with lower FBS programs and do whatever we can to keep him around. Luckily for Sam Houston, Fritz has a record of stability, that said money talks to everyone.

We shall see...
    [/quote]

His record of stability is what keeps him at SHSU for many years in my opinion. He spent 13 years at DII Central Missouri and I think Sam Houston was always on his radar of wanting to come back to Texas. His close relationship with former long time head coach Ron Randleman and Bobby Williams gives him a comfort zone. And not to forget, only a short drive to Houston, a recruting hot bed. Just because there is a bigger program and more money available down the road doesnt always mean it is the best scenario to move. My gut feeling tells me that Fritz will be the coach to lead SHSU into FBS football if SHSU decides to make that move. (which i hope they dont)
    [/quote]

You laid out the classic argument for a small successful school with a really good head coach, and I like you would hope that it would work that way. But I, like your counterpart kakat10 know all too well if a school in a top 4 or 5 conference comes calling with a 7 figure salary, there is almost no chance he stays at SHSU! Enjoy, you guys picked a winner (unlike we did here). I remember Billy Tubbs all too well and miss the excitement a small school can make on the big stage!!
    [/quote]

I am not blind to the fact that it could happen and i am sure there will be some offers come his away. There was rumors that Southern Miss contacted him last summer. Whether it was true or not I dont know. Sam Houston has definitely sweetened the pot for him and his assistants. And like kk10 stated, he is pretty rooted within the community and university. I heard he has bought him a pretty nice place there outside of Huntsville.

But, who knows. Only time will tell. I do know that Bearkat fans need to really enjoy this time. I know I have.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Ask the Expert: Sam Houston State

[quote author=BigRedPecker link=topic=38614.msg1#msg1 date=1381498020]
    in the past few season shsu has had a solid complimentary rb that spelled flanders. who is that guy this season? also, how has the bearkats run defense? could you see our flashy freshman kade harrington having some success running the football for us?
    [/quote]

The Bearkat Run D is solid this year, no doubt about it. Behind one of the deepest D-lines in school history they are quick and hunt the ball. Our LB corps has also not missed a beat with the addition of transfer LB Brock Tanner from TCU.

I don't see anyone's run game having too much success this season against the Kats. The way to beat this squad is through the air. If you can get the passing game going then it will open up the ground game. You'll have to get is off balance and then anything can happen.

The complimentary runner to Flamders is the same guys you've seen for the past two years. KeShawn Hill is the back up RB who takes snaps and IMO runs harder than Flanders. Richard Sincere and Torrance Williams are the speedy guys who run the option with Flanders.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=BigRedPecker link=topic=38614.msg1#msg1 date=1381498261]
    after the non conference schedule you guys played with facing teams like a&m and Eastern Washington do you feel you have a good handle on how prepared the bearkats are for the upcoming conference season? do you guys look at this lamar team as the best you have faced since the rebirth of the program?
    [/quote]

The Eastern Washington game was a big test for us to see where we stand in FCS football. It's fun to play A&M but we don't get anything out if it beside the check and the experience of playing in front of loud fans. I would have liked to see a tougher schedule than what we had but overall it wasn't bad.

This Lamar Cardinal squad is one of the best we've seen since y'all's rebirth. Y'all have more experience and have had time to get the system in place.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=LU Cardinals link=topic=38614.msg1#msg1 date=1381499473]
    In what round do you think Tim Flanders will be drafted in next years draft? Personally I wont miss having to see Tim run all over my Cardinals anymore. What other Bearkats projected to make it to play football at the next level?
    [/quote]

I think Flanders will go in the 4th or 5th round but could go as high as the 3rd depending on how he finishes the season. There have been several scouts at our games and his performance against TAMU only helped him.

As for other guys on this squad, I think LB Brock Tanner could get a look by NFL teams if he can keep his level of play up.