Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can LU win 6 games?

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Can LU win 6 games?

Last year after 7 games they were also 3-4. Here's a few comparisons to this year:

Against 2 FBS teams they scored a total of 2 points and gave up 94, this year they scored 17 and gave up 86.

Last year they started 0-2 in conference, losing to SELA and NW State, giving up a total of 61 points, and losing by 10 and 7 points, respectively. This year they've given up 40 total points and while scoring 27, against 2 of the better conference teams.

We know how last season ended, losing 4 of 5. Can they change that and win 3 games for a 6-6 record? They should be able to win against Nicholls, Nw State and SFA, especially siince 2 of those are home games. Nicholls and SFA give up 40+ points a game while NW State gives up 31 a game, and it's teams with good defenses that give LU the most trouble.

Who thinks LU can win 3 of their last 5 games?

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Can LU win 6 games?

As an optimistic Cardinal I think they can win those 3 games and end the season 6-6. However, if they don't then Southeast Texas is getting just what it deserves. Beautiful weather, competitive team, fantastic halftime fireworks show, HOMECOMING and ATTENDANCE SUCKED!!! WTF? Gold season ticket holders did not show up, students did not show up, students did not raise hell, general public did not show up! WTF?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I think there is a chance to win three more. There are some areas for improvement to achieve that goal.

Protecting the Quarterback (or Getting Rid of the Ball) - One area would be protecting the quarterback. Looking at our two conference games plus the Louisiana Tech game, Berry has been sacked 14 times.
    LaTech 5
    SHSU 4
    UCA 5

(I included LaTech to increase the sample size. I looked a them because they are way better than Bacone and OPSU. I don't think either of those games tell us much. I think OSU goes to the other extreme even though we did a whole lot better protecting Berry in that game...only 1 sack.

Own 3rd and Long when on Defense - Too many big plays given up on 3rd and Long. Defense has made some good stops, but there is room for improvement.

Continue to Reduce Penalties - Major penalties are not helping. We've gotten better at this than in year's past, but in the UCA game we gave up 2 first downs due to penalties.

1st Qtr - Face Mask (offsetting so no harm, no foul)
    2nd Qtr - Unsportsmanlike Conduct, Holding
    3rd Qtr - Face Mask (Moves ball to LU 4, UCA 1st Down leading to UCA touchdown a few plays later)
    4th Qtr - Pass Interference - This one really hurts. On UCA's 3rd & 6 at the LU 30, a Ryan Howard (UCA) pass is intercepted by Chad Allen at the LU6. Allen returns the ball to the LU25. During the play, LU committed pass interference. At the "end of the day", UCA gets the ball with a 1st down at the LU20. Central Arkansas went on to get a field goal.

Right after that, we had an illegal block on the kickoff. After the penalty we started out on our 10 yard line.

There are some other facets to improve on. Those are just a few examples. The good news is I think there has been improvement; particularly comparing this year with previous years. Otherwise, I would not be optimistic about achieving 3 wins in our remaining games.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I think we can beat everyone but McSleeze personally.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=Lamarcard81 link=topic=38662.msg54518#msg54518 date=1382369434]
    As an optimistic Cardinal I think they can win those 3 games and end the season 6-6. However, if they don't then Southeast Texas is getting just what it deserves. Beautiful weather, competitive team, fantastic halftime fireworks show, HOMECOMING and ATTENDANCE SUCKED!!! WTF? Gold season ticket holders did not show up, students did not show up, students did not raise hell, general public did not show up! WTF?
    [/quote]

..why is everyone so obsessed with Lamar attendance? this is a working class area...PEOPLE have to go to work, STUDENTS have to go to work...now the season ticket holders not showing up? i dont understand that...why would u spend $500 on a seat and not show up..im a season ticket holder and im there at every game..and if i cant be there i give my tickets away...This is a new era of Lamar football...did u really think we would be at the level of sam houston, mcneese, or sfa by now? we didnt have a football team for 21 years for goodness sakes...but were competing now and not getting blown out like we have been the past 3 years...now granted its getting VERY CLOSE to where they have to take the next step and start winning conference games and have a chance for a playoff spot, hopefully next year will be that year....if they dont make the playoffs next year then i would start to look for a new coach...and yes i think LU can beat SFA, Nicholls, and NW State...the two conference games we lost so far were to top 25 teams...those were not going to be easy wins.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=WOS95 link=topic=38662.msg54532#msg54532 date=1382397217]
    [/quote]

..why is everyone so obsessed with Lamar attendance? this is a working class area...PEOPLE have to go to work, STUDENTS have to go to work...now the season ticket holders not showing up? i dont understand that...why would u spend $500 on a seat and not show up..im a season ticket holder and im there at every game..and if i cant be there i give my tickets away...This is a new era of Lamar football...did u really think we would be at the level of sam houston, mcneese, or sfa by now? we didnt have a football team for 21 years for goodness sakes...but were competing now and not getting blown out like we have been the past 3 years...now granted its getting VERY CLOSE to where they have to take the next step and start winning conference games and have a chance for a playoff spot, hopefully next year will be that year....if they dont make the playoffs next year then i would start to look for a new coach...and yes i think LU can beat SFA, Nicholls, and NW State...the two conference games we lost so far were to top 25 teams...those were not going to be easy wins.
    [/quote]

That may be the stupidest reason I've heard for mediocre attendance

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Can LU win 6 games?

I think we can win 3 out of the next 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

If Woodard raises his game, anything can happen!!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=38662.msg54542#msg54542 date=1382411577]
    If Woodard raises his game, anything can happen!!
    [/quote]

we could win em all..or lose em all...screwy SLC this year

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[/quote]

[/quote]

People have to work so they can't go to the game? So, we need more unemployed people to increase attendance?

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

to get people in the stands the team has to win more games, obviously...sorry if i ruffled some feathers here..but i get tired of hearing after every home game how the crowd was pathetic...u guys that complain..are u at every home game? all i was saying is that a lot of people have other things going on in their lives, work, family etc.....and to call the people that attend these games pathetic is wrong imo...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

In response to going to the games, the answer for the wife and me is yes except for the UCA game. Wife and I were sick for that one...still working on shaking it. We're looking forward to making the other games. We've enjoyed the games win or lose.

I actually think we've had a pretty good turnout in relation to our record. Our attendance is no worse than several teams in the FCS top 25. In some cases, it is better. The thing that concerns me is the year to year to year trend. Of course, as others have pointed out, the record may have something to do with that. I'm looking forward to more fans discovering and experiencing the fun.

Sent from my Android device using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I was there and filled my 8 seats and drove from Houston. And drove back to Houston when it was over.

It was HOMECOMING and attendance was pathetic. 8000 may not be pathetic for the Nichols game on 11/2....but it was pathetic for Homecoming. IT WAS HOMECOMING!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=Cardinalrule link=topic=38662.msg54554#msg54554 date=1382501646]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

People have to work so they can't go to the game? So, we need more unemployed people to increase attendance?
    [/quote]LOL I think there are more than enough unemployed people living in Beaumont...

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[/quote]

And the crowd seemed to leave more and more as the game went on. It was really frustrating when people left with only 3 or 4 minutes left in such a close game. Also, I wanted them to go for the long field goal instead of 4th and 10. Also, a more raccous crowd could have helped avoid UCA converting the touchdown...