Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: ** LAMAR at NWST Game Thread....NWST wins 37-28**

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Re: ** LAMAR at NWST Game Thread....NWST wins 37-28**

[quote author=coachacola link=topic=38721.msg1#msg1 date=1384102855]
    I have a few questions after watching the game:

Did Kahler botch that punt attempt or was Woodard back to his old tricks of trying a fake punt at midfield?

Why does this team keep making too many mistakes? If it's not interceptions it's fumbles. Between Berry's fumbles and Kahler's fake/botched punt they lost 80 yards rushing. Again, these mistakes led to easy TDs for the opponent.

Will LU ever get a running game? Harrington has been a nice surprise but this is year 4 and our 2 best RBs are a freshmen and senior who has switched positions every year he's played.

Why can't they close out games? Against La Tech, LU is down by 6, 3 minutes left in game, in La Tech territory and they can't finish. Against UCA, they give up the lead late in the game, drive into UCA territory and fail. Similar story last night.

Where's the long ball threat to open up games? I thought this team was deep at the receiver position.

If LU had been playing these types of close games last year I would have been hopeful. But this is year 4 and this team just takes baby steps. LU and SELA were pretty much equal in 2011 but now they have leap-frogged everyone while LU seems content to beat Nicholls and a bad SWAC team each year.
    [/quote]

Excellent summary of the points of frustration with this team's results.

It's a lot like Charles Schulz cartoon scene of Lucy pulling the ball away from Charlie Brown as he gets ready to kick. I can only hope that some day we will be able to "actually kick the ball".

In our case, it is a predictable offense coupled with failure to finish. To use another worn out analogy, it reminds me of the carrot dangling in front of the mule. We keep reaching for success, can see success in reach, but continually fail to acheive it.

Sent from my Android device using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: ** LAMAR at NWST Game Thread....NWST wins 37-28**

i think its just becoming apparent that Woodard is not the man to take us to the next level of winning conference games regularly and making the playoffs consistently....imo, RayRay has done a good job of establishing the program and getting us in a position to be a competitive Southland Conference team...but i think if we dont make the playoffs the next year...we will need to make a change and see if we can find a coach that can get us over that hump...

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Re: ** LAMAR at NWST Game Thread....NWST wins 37-28**

[quote author=LUSportsFan link=topic=38721.msg55064#msg55064 date=1384116902]
    [quote author=coachacola link=topic=38721.msg1#msg1 date=1384102855]
    I have a few questions after watching the game:

Did Kahler botch that punt attempt or was Woodard back to his old tricks of trying a fake punt at midfield?

Why does this team keep making too many mistakes? If it's not interceptions it's fumbles. Between Berry's fumbles and Kahler's fake/botched punt they lost 80 yards rushing. Again, these mistakes led to easy TDs for the opponent.

Will LU ever get a running game? Harrington has been a nice surprise but this is year 4 and our 2 best RBs are a freshmen and senior who has switched positions every year he's played.

Why can't they close out games? Against La Tech, LU is down by 6, 3 minutes left in game, in La Tech territory and they can't finish. Against UCA, they give up the lead late in the game, drive into UCA territory and fail. Similar story last night.

Where's the long ball threat to open up games? I thought this team was deep at the receiver position.

If LU had been playing these types of close games last year I would have been hopeful. But this is year 4 and this team just takes baby steps. LU and SELA were pretty much equal in 2011 but now they have leap-frogged everyone while LU seems content to beat Nicholls and a bad SWAC team each year.
    [/quote]

I totally agree but what I don't understand is how we go from one week looking good and win our first conference game by scoring the most points ever scored in a conference game with guys who stepped in and don't normally get playing time. Where were they this week? Gladney had 7 receptions and led the team in yards with 107 last week and only got a little playing time with one pass thrown his way. Henderson who also played big last week and blocked his butt off and had 4 receptions for over 40 yds and a touchdown in the first half, I don't think the OC played him at all this week. We know KJ went to defense because the OC was holding him back and didn't want to play him. It's time for the him to go because he's obviously senile.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Lessee.....we had Whitten who would only throw bombs....Kueck who won't throw it over 5 yards....

yesterday's offense looked like a bad high school team....heck....the whole game, both sides, both teams....looked like high school

Scary thing......this defense (our strong point ??? :is heavy with seniors...next year we may have a defense that resembles SFA... :o

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Kueck needs to go. Unacceptable to let a personal grudge keep our best offensive playmaker on the bench. Also Berry needs to start using the laces. His fumble led to a loss at LaTech, and he had trouble holding onto the ball this game.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Kueck is horrible but he can't do much anyway with an average at best QB. Berry is playing by process of elimination. There is no one else. Moss is just riding the scholly to get his masters and others have left, quit,transferred anything to get away from this weak offensive scheme.
    When you have to dumb down a weak offensive scheme it's not hard to defend.
    I say dumb on the grounds of the past display of our offense. QB throws the ball to an open receiver on a five and out when we are at 3rd and 15. Sure he's open Berry! They want you to throw it to him. They tackle him and we punt....Yea!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

So I'm kind of wondering if that "missed team meeting" before the Nicholls game was some of the veteran players trying to send a statement about something? I put it in " " because I never saw an official report that that was the reason for suspension...only say violation of team rules. But to have 20 players, most of the whom see significant playing time, miss a meeting sounds choreographed to me...I wonder if they are fed up with the couching staff the was many fans are?

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=lcard05 link=topic=38721.msg55071#msg55071 date=1384187326]
    Kueck is horrible but he can't do much anyway with an average at best QB. Berry is playing by process of elimination. There is no one else. Moss is just riding the scholly to get his masters and others have left, quit,transferred anything to get away from this weak offensive scheme.
    When you have to dumb down a weak offensive scheme it's not hard to defend.
    I say dumb on the grounds of the past display of our offense. QB throws the ball to an open receiver on a five and out when we are at 3rd and 15. Sure he's open Berry! They want you to throw it to him. They tackle him and we punt....Yea!!!!
    [/quote]

actually, berry is having a pretty damn good year

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I won't defend Kueck, however O think end of the day the biggest problem is still the overall quality of the o-line and to a lesser degree the d-line. When Berry is under pressure he doesn't make the passes he does when he has time. Hard to throw deep if the line does not sustain their blocks long enough for the receivers to get down field. Running game is still less than adequate and I don't think it is the running backs fault. Did not see the NWST game but against Nicholls it did not appear like the hand off or pull the ball out from the RB was smooth. Saw several times where Harrington was held for no gain because he seemed to have to wait on the ball. Conversely the defense isn't consistently getting pressure on the opposing qb and we give up too many big runs.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Geezer I don't know what game you watched, but the O line has been doing pretty dang good. When you got 8 coming at 5 most of the time, that's tough. Open up the passing game more down field. Make the D backs move back some. Look at Berry's stats, not to bad, he must be getting pretty good protection. I pay close attention to the O line. Its not their fault we throw a pass For 5 yards on a 3rd and 15. And the list goes on. Dumb plays is what is hurting the Offense. Now who is calling the plays? I don't know

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Deep passes require the line to hold their blocks longer, running requires the line to make good blocks. I agree being successful with deep throws helps, but unless your getting the pass protection your not going to be real successful going long. Start timing the time from the snap until Berry has to chunk to the ball or get sacked.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

He has been having plenty of time to throw. It's easy to blame the line, but look at all the close games lost, and think about how they were lost. Poor decision making, ints, fumbles.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Yep, Berry's numbers are gonna be good except for the give aways. We are getting beat so bad we look good against everyones back ups. You can watch Berry, when we get in the redzone or the game gets tight. NOTHING!!!!!! It's that crucial time in every game if you are going to answer and stay with the other team so you can win or, make the big mistake and it landslides into an a$$ kickin...Guess where we're at?

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=lcard05 link=topic=38721.msg55116#msg55116 date=1384269315]
    Yep, Berry's numbers are gonna be good except for the give aways. We are getting beat so bad we look good against everyones back ups. You can watch Berry, when we get in the redzone or the game gets tight. NOTHING!!!!!! It's that crucial time in every game if you are going to answer and stay with the other team so you can win or, make the big mistake and it landslides into an a$$ kickin...Guess where we're at?
    [/quote]

I think the bolded statement might have been valid in other seasons; not so much this year. It was the case in our game against Oklahoma State (#10 FBS Coaches Poll, #11 Harris Poll, #12 AP Poll, and #12 BCS Ranking) and a little against Southeastern Louisiana (Bennet, SLU's starting quarterback played through the first series of the 4th quarter). Other games have not been blowouts. Being close enough, but unable to seal the deal is what is most disappointing to me.

Note: Defensive participation not as easy to determine from statistics as offensive participation. Assumption is that teams would pull starters around the same time. Might even leave defensive starters in longer to protect against quick scores.

Louisiana Tech - 14-27 (Tech ahead 20-14 until 1:51 left in the 4th quarter. Tech started its last drive after a Berry fumble after driving to Tech's 31.)
    Sam Houston - 3-14 (Bell and Flanders in on SHSU's final possession - until 3:40 remaining in the game)
    Central Arkansas 24-26 (UCA scores go ahead touchdown with 2:53 left in game)
    Southeastern LA 34-56 (21 point 2nd quarter unanswered by us was a killer)
    Northwestern LA 28-37 (28-30 until 1:16 remaining in the game)

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=LUSportsFan link=topic=38721.msg55117#msg55117 date=1384274930]
    [quote author=lcard05 link=topic=38721.msg55116#msg55116 date=1384269315]
    [/quote]

I think the bolded statement might have been valid in other seasons; not so much this year. It was the case in our game against Oklahoma State (#10 FBS Coaches Poll, #11 Harris Poll, #12 AP Poll, and #12 BCS Ranking) and a little against Southeastern Louisiana (Bennet, SLU's starting quarterback played through the first series of the 4th quarter). Other games have not been blowouts. Being close enough, but unable to seal the deal is what is most disappointing to me.

Note: Defensive participation not as easy to determine from statistics as offensive participation. Assumption is that teams would pull starters around the same time. Might even leave defensive starters in longer to protect against quick scores.

Louisiana Tech - 14-27 (Tech ahead 20-14 until 1:51 left in the 4th quarter. Tech started its last drive after a Berry fumble after driving to Tech's 31.)
    Sam Houston - 3-14 (Bell and Flanders in on SHSU's final possession - until 3:40 remaining in the game)
    Central Arkansas 24-26 (UCA scores go ahead touchdown with 2:53 left in game)
    Southeastern LA 34-56 (21 point 2nd quarter unanswered by us was a killer)
    Northwestern LA 28-37 (28-30 until 1:16 remaining in the game)
    [/quote]

Good post. I'd say you might be able to lay blame with Berry for possibly the La Tech loss and maybe Northwestern State. He played poorly against SHSU but I think the weather was crap and we gave up 280 yards rushing so there were other issues there. Against Central Arkansas he played great. If you recall, he actually led a clutch drive at the end of the game for what should have been the game winning score. Our defense choked. So, he had to do it again and arguably did (we were in long field goal range). But, that loss belongs partially with the defense and partially with the horrible play calling on that last series. Northwestern, we looked like crap. Berry had two big fumbles but I do question whether that pass was really backwards. On the replay you could see where the defensive end tipped the ball which made it look like a backwards pass. Also, I thought the ruling on that punt was b.s. Where the guy for NWSU supposedly downed it on the 1/2 yard line?!

We do need to take a few more shots deep, and more crossing patterns and slants. I think Berry needs to put more air under the ball on the deep passes. He throws them too flat. And our defense needs to play MUCH better. We looked really really really BAD against NWSU!!

Oh, and Berry played great against Nicholls.