Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Willie Fritz has left SHSU

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Willie Fritz has left SHSU

Wilie Fritz left Huntsville for Georgia Southern.
    Follow me on Twitter @thechadcooper

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Willie Fritz has left SHSU

Considering some of arrogant SHSU fans that post here, I guess it will be hard for me to shed too many tears for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I am shocked that at least some of the more reasonable SHSU posters who use to frequent the board have not made in comments here. I would say that it is a big loss for Sam and would like some insight as to why he left. Ga Southern is not that big, if it is at all, a move up!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=38860.msg56466#msg56466 date=1390063111]
    I am shocked that at least some of the more reasonable SHSU posters who use to frequent the board have not made in comments here. I would say that it is a big loss for Sam and would like some insight as to why he left. Ga Southern is not that big, if it is at all, a move up!!
    [/quote]

Here are a few possible reasons.

1. Opportunity to coach an FBS program - Georgia Southern is joining the Sun Belt Conference this year along with Appalachian State.
    2. Commitment to the program - They have a stadium expansion underway increasing capacity to 21,000. They are building a 50,000 sqft Football Operations Center, a little smaller than our Dauphin Athletics Complex at 54,000 sqft.
    3. Possibly a Higher Salary? - On the money side, Fritz has a base salary of $300,000 at Ga Southern. I don't know what he made at SHSU or what was offered to entice him to stay. Assuming LU is representative of the conference salaries, Coach Woodard's quoted salary in a 2012 article concerning increases in the football coaches staff payroll was $150,720.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Willie Fritz has left SHSU

In addition, i would say that SAM's talent level now is undoubtedly weaker than it was when they went to the finals two years in a row. He would have had to replace a big time running back and a seasoned QB this year. The expectations he has set are very high and would have been tough to live up to year in and year out. Seams like the timing was right for him to make a move

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

One Word MONEY!!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=Card Nation link=topic=38860.msg56469#msg56469 date=1390070158]
    In addition, i would say that SAM's talent level now is undoubtedly weaker than it was when they went to the finals two years in a row. He would have had to replace a big time running back and a seasoned QB this year. The expectations he has set are very high and would have been tough to live up to year in and year out. Seams like the timing was right for him to make a move
    [/quote]

Late to the table on this topic but I think Willie wanted the opportunity to coach in FBS and be at a school where football is king and is treated like it. SHSU has made strides under Willie Fritz and is getting better in a lot of the "off the field" areas of growing their program, but GSU already has that in place and has a rabid fan base that whole heartedly supports the Eagles. Fact is, SHSU doesn't have that, Trying to get their, but sustained winning at a high level for 10+ years is what will be the biggest factor in building that piece of the puzzle.

As for Willie leaving because the talent is weaker, I guess that's a matter of opinion. Obviously you lose the best running back in the history of the SLC, a veteran QB and a talented playmaker, those are huge losses. But if your goal, as he stated many times, is to get SHSu to a place where they were a top 10 team every year in FCS, then you better believe in your recruiting. Recruiting is a hard thing to really get a true feel for as alot of the kids you bring in are red shirting and back up players while your veterans who are the stars of the team are still around doing their thing.

I think Willie upgraded the level of recruits that SHSU brought in during his time at the helm and I hope that I am right. If that is the case then Sam will likely have a pretty good team this year and going forward.

Now that Keeler has the keys to the car, I think there is a possibility that the Kats can continue to upgrade the level of talent they have coming in each year and maintain a top 10 program. I am however, obviously biassed because of my orange tinted glasses.

I wish the best to Willie and thank him for what he did for SHSU.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Thanks for your insight! It was respectful and well reasoned. I do not in any way wish misfortune on the Kats! I wonder where Sam's "red headed step child" 5 pennies is? You can bet that if this was a thread concerning bad news about LU, he would be on here running his mouth with thoughts from his pea brain. But since a coaching change now brings about uncertainty about the Bearkats success next year, he is no where to be found. Classic isn't it!!

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=38860.msg56664#msg56664 date=1391194702]
    Thanks for your insight! It was respectful and well reasoned. I do not in any way wish misfortune on the Kats! I wonder where Sam's "red headed step child" 5 pennies is? You can bet that if this was a thread concerning bad news about LU, he would be on here running his mouth with thoughts from his pea brain. But since a coaching change now brings about uncertainty about the Bearkats success next year, he is no where to be found. Classic isn't it!!
    [/quote]

I can't speak for any of the other Bearkat posters on here. My relationaship with Lu is much different than theirs and it often gets thrown at me in some way or another. I think nickles is usually pretty funn though. He loves getting you guys riled up. And honestly I don't read everything that is written so if it is over the line in some way, I don't know.

As for our coaching hire, I think we did very well. Keeler has taken an FCS team to the chipper 3 times and won one. Should have won in 2011, but fomehow lost a 19-0 lead midway though the thrid quarter. Only time will truly tell if the Kats are going to maintian a place among the SLC and FCS elite though.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Thanks for your insight! It was respectful and well reasoned. I do not in any way wish misfortune on the Kats!

i hope they suck

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

I am actually sad Willie left cause i thought the Kats brought a lot of good press to the Southland.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

[quote author=jdcurran235 link=topic=38860.msg56733#msg56733 date=1391569982]
    I am actually sad Willie left cause i thought the Kats brought a lot of good press to the Southland.
    [/quote]

I think Keeler will bring just as much if not more than Willie when it's all said and done. I could be worng though.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Keeler looks like he had pretty good success at Delaware winning the National Championship in 2003 and losing in the title game in 2007 and 2010. (Lost by one point in 2010.)

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Wonder why a coach would leave a successful FCS program to go to another FCS program. Can SAM pay enough more to make it worth while? Does he believe he can have better success by using his former recruiting area in addition to picking up Texas?

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash

Re: Re: Willie Fritz has left SHSU

[quote author=geezer link=topic=38860.msg1#msg1 date=1391739305]
    Wonder why a coach would leave a successful FCS program to go to another FCS program. Can SAM pay enough more to make it worth while? Does he believe he can have better success by using his former recruiting area in addition to picking up Texas?
    [/quote]

If referring to Keeler, he was fired at the end of the 2012 season. Two years before, Delaware lost by one point in the national championship game. The next year Delaware ended up with a 7-4 record. They finished the 2012 season with a 5-6 record. When he was fired, he still had to 2017 remaining on his contract after receiving a 10 year extension in 2008.

Sent from my Android device using Tapatalk 2